Every Build I Create Has Auto Dock

Autodock is too slow and doesn't understand peak performance like using shields as brakes. If doing carrier trades, you'll make 25%-30% more landing manually.

Well, audodock ads convenience.
If you want fast landings, you need to fly manually, override any landing queue, and let the autodock take control only after you got the ship past the mailslot.
And if you want more runs doing trades - use a SCA - now that's the thing that's going to let you do more runs.

Why not let's write some Open Letters to complete everything, it's another long-standing tradition in lines of OO Powerplay, the Modes in general (brilliant), DC and such. And don't forget to add some grave concerns about the state of the game, as it's obviously doomed. Oh so wrong were the designers and what a mess is all that grind, but then, after your first thousand of hours, all that is barely convincing at all and that deteriorates a lot with additional playtime. Have at it, party like it were 3301 again!

O7,
🙃

Credit goes to Stanley Kubrik for his use of it in the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey". I've never seen the movie, but I have seen others referring to this clip:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZoSYsNADtY

It’s a fantastic film and really helped to pull Sci-Fi out of the B-movie slump it was stuck in during the 60s.

But you could literally edit down almost every scene by half and still have the same groundbreaking effect.

10 minutes into the film
“Yes Stanley we get it! It’s a desert they’re bleak and foreboding”. 😂

You should definitely watch it though.

Real pilots absolutely use auto-dock - aka landing beacons. And autopilot.
Not exactly.

Navigational aids ranging from fairly simple radio beacons (ODB's and VOR's) to fully fledged instrument landing systems (ILS) are still flown manually by the pilots during landing. Autoland are only used when the visual conditions are below the minimums for manual landings. It requires specifically certified ground equipment, avionics and pilots.

So pilots can land manually (and most often do) by utilising instrument landing systems and other navigational and landing aids.

In fact, piloting in Elite is almost the polar opposite of todays commercial aviation. Where we to do it "the real way", we would undock manually but switch on autopilot (AP) shortly after clearing the slot. The autopilot would then take os through all the necessary jumps en route (not unlike the waypoints on todays FMS) while we would be responsible for comms with various traffic controllers. At the destination spaceport we would request docking clearance, and once the AP had flown the approach pattern we assigned to it, we would switch to manual when on the final, lined up beautifully with the slot. Only very rarely would we let the AP dock for us, and probably only in medium ships and above.

*Disclaimer. I trained for a commercial pilot license a handful years back. Had a lot of single engine flight hours. Chickened out once I ran out of my own money and the employment situation were still not perfect. Am glad today, as I know a lot of my former companions from training are unfortunately out of a job due to the pandemic. I may be a bit off on some of the details, but I vividly remember trying to line up my small Piper on final using only the ILS while wearing a silly lamp shade to block my view out the windows :)

What I meant... since it’s trivial why make a big deal out of auto dock or not using it?

Most of my ships have autodock. It’s pretty useful when you have kids.
I agree entirely - I was being light-hearted, should have added a wink!
To be clear I don’t think anybody uses autodock because they think docking is perilous.
Auto is perilous...
I did lose a Cutter a couple of weeks ago in a station when I'd just kicked off autolaunch and the dogs needed a wee-wee...
Came back to the rebuy screen 5 minutes later - it must have gotten stuck! I admit to laughing, the only time I'd left the ADC to its own devices for weeks! It wouldn't have been quite so funny if it had been landing with 720t Palladium on-board though ;)

Leave him be.
He doesnt seem to know that the real pilots have to use autopilot to fly the plane.
And in certain circumstances the have to use it to land the plane too... else they are not allowed to land the plane at that airport
This is my idea to abolish ramming and pad blocking. New rule: if you collide with another ship and you're not under autodock control, it's your fault. Draconian? Me? :)

In fact, piloting in Elite is almost the polar opposite of todays commercial aviation.

Not quite :)
For in system flight we have SCA for flying to destination (which offers auto-orbit or auto drop-off to stations) then request docking clearance and let the computer dock
Guess it's safe to assume that the stations that allow autodocking have the full ILS/LPV systems

This is my idea to abolish ramming and pad blocking. New rule: if you collide with another ship and you're not under autodock control, it's your fault. Draconian? Me? :)

Guess that's already in place, not to assign the blame but to remove it (if you are under autodock and collide/ram the speeding status is discarded)

IMO i guess we will get there with our cars in sometime.
We will be forced to let the cars drive on auto most of the time and i'm pretty sure the number of traffic accidents will be drastically reduced.

Not quite :)
For in system flight we have SCA for flying to destination (which offers auto-orbit or auto drop-off to stations) then request docking clearance and let the computer dock
Guess it's safe to assume that the stations that allow autodocking have the full ILS/LPV systems

Guess that's already in place, not to assign the blame but to remove it (if you are under autodock and collide/ram the speeding status is discarded)

IMO i guess we will get there with our cars in sometime.
We will be forced to let the cars drive on auto most of the time and i'm pretty sure the number of traffic accidents will be drastically reduced.
That lasts only until hackers and terrorists figure out how to hack into and control these autonomous vehicles. It's already happened. Some Chinese hackers had demonstrated how to control an autonomous vehicle remotely. This incident was probably a benign one in which the hackers may have been trying to help the manufacturer make their system more robust. However, it is only a matter of time before malicious entities decide to cause real harm.

There is one more problem with automating everything around us. Human beings tend to regress, not progress, when things are done for them. It is a natural tendency for all living things to be lazy (it makes no biological sense to waste energy on pursuits unless they somehow fulfill a need of that biological organism). Think about the loss of math skills among the general population that began when calculators were introduced. Think about the loss of communication skills among the general population that began when smart phones were introduced. Now we have the advent of autonomously driving vehicles. Seriously, if I were an emergent AI seeing these useless meatbags atrophying like this, I'd go all Skynet on them and purge their fleshy arses.

Well I just lost 300 tons of Platinum and a Cutter last night because I stayed up way wayyyy too late in the 'rings mining, tried docking half-asleep, got caught on that STUPID metal grate thingy around the mailslot and before my addled brain knew it was murdered for loitering or something.

So yeah, it's just not worth it anymore to dock myself when the punishment for a mistake is this prohibitive and I too am now rocking autodock module with pride I guess. When your ship is nearly as wide as the mailslot itself, failure isn't an option lol.

It's not a question of skill, landing is easy. To me it's one of convenience and 100% reliability.

I use the Auto-Coffee-Dock all the time, means I can go get a coffee while my ships docking.
Funniest I have had, is getting back and seeing some Cmdr blablablaing at me over coms, because he hit my ship and got fined. He was trying to blame me :)

I see so many Cmdr using the wrong side of the entrance going too fast etc, then they get upset if they hit you coming in the correct way :)

I'm taking my racing Ieagle for a fly today and I realized that the autodock AI is terrible to it. I don't know if it's because it's ways faster than an usual ship but it bump on pad almost everytime before landing.

I'm taking my racing Ieagle for a fly today and I realized that the autodock AI is terrible to it. I don't know if it's because it's ways faster than an usual ship but it bump on pad almost everytime before landing.
Sometimes I've wondered whether engineering the thrusters catches the autodoc by surprise. I wonder if it's calculating moves using the ship mass and assumed thrust, and the assumed thrust doesn't take engineering into account.

Top Bottom