Every Build I Create Has Auto Dock

I can't believe I'm replying to this thread :)

I've now got upwards of 1600hrs in this game, and I have also about 17 years of real life general aviation flight experience...

MOST of the time I do not use autodock or autolaunch, but occasionally I do.

Why DON'T I use it? I like flying manually, and also one has to note that the autodock is not 100% reliable - they do try and kill you from time to time. When flying manually, I also try to use structured approach patterns, perform gentle** landings, and avoid slinging the ship a the pad and hoping it sticks, (as some people do, claiming that they paid for their shields and they're b****y well going to use them :) )

Why DO I use it occasionally? Mainly when flying repetitive game loops*. Whether it is getting that extra rank, the rescue ship end of station rescue missions, or repetitive loading/unloading flights between my FC and a station (taking advantage of favourable prices). Well that was a WHEN rather than a why.. so why? The repetitive game loops can be very unforgiving on hands, wrists, and arms. Using the docking computer helps avoid muscle issues and RSI...

When using the docking computer, I do still keep my hands near the controls (much as I would "cover the controls" in a real aircraft if another pilot was handling the controls in a critical phase of flight), and I maintain my attention on what the docking computer is doing (ready to take action on the odd occasion when it decides to try and kill me).

That said, the real pilot in me HATES the station wannabe flight controllers who spout rubbish when approaching in manual control!

* - I was very careful there to use the phrase "repetitive gameplay loops" as opposed to "Grind", as others might bemoan. If I want something in game, I have the option of using normal gameplay and gaining it over time in due course, or a repetitive loop to accelerate accomplishing that goal. If I choose the latter, it's my choice and I have no right to moan about it, so I don't!
** - that said, I do enjoy letting my hair down occasionally in certain situations - burning stations spring to mind. There the haste required justifies slinging the ship around a little bit more and a shift in the risk acceptance, which can be an enjoyable departure in itself.
**** - That wasn't a reference, use your imagination! :) :)

I never used it for 6 years. Not even once. Until I started dual boxing two accounts recently (sc and docking assists help a ton with that for obvious reasons). Now I just use it all the time, if it's fitted, even if not dual boxing.

For me, it's nothing about ability (must have manually docked thousands of times) and all to do with "cba to do it manually anymore".

When hauling back and forth autodock is a must. I need time to check forums.
Other than that I just don't care who uses it and who don't. I actually prefer to see other players ships autodocked than them doing some weird, unrealistic (bacause totally unsafe) manouvers.
People who make fun of players using it and brag about being super pilots, because they don't use DC are very close to being on my block list, because what I hate most are immature brats in cockpits.

the exercises my driving instructor made me do was keep the car stationary at a relatively steep incline, without using the brake, just by feathering clutch and gas pedal (spoiler: it stinks, literally:p).
a 'special' exercise similar to that: Reverse around a corner on a steep hill... I grew to love the smell of 'hot clutch'!

When i mentioned mine, i meant the car stopped on a ramp (that is heading uphill), with the hand brake fully on. The task was to start the car without it going backwards, downhill, not even a little bit, by releasing the hand brake while at the same time negotiating the start uphill using the gas and clutch pedals.

That was the first test from a series of tests on a fixed course driving test that had the start from ramp, front parking, slalom, lateral parking, u-turn, back parking and straight driving. And only after passing the fixed course exam the wanna-be driver would be taken on the road to verify its abilities in the real traffic for the final step before getting the driving license.

Too bad they removed the Fixed Course from the driving license exam - Its a joy to watch some of them newbs trying to negotiate a parking lot in the street -especially the lateral one, but i've seen some having troubles even with the front parking :D

I use it because i'm lazy. But I only engage it after getting through the slot. I still have bad memories from the days when it would periodically slam you into the side of the station.

o7
Dirty

Learn to manually dock.
You're going to be worse than useless rescueing civilians from burning stations, which is one of the most tense and rewarding non combat jobs there is for a pilot.
They fuel your ship, load and unload your cargo, clean out your toilets, pour your drinks and cook your meals, line up jobs, pay your combat bonds, trade materials, sort out your fines. The least you could do is be ready to rescue them when the need arises.
They can't all dive out into space like Naomi Ngata escaping the clutches of her husband, y'know.
Jeez, you auto dockers are just so damn selfish..
Thanks that's good to know! I haven't done any rescues of this sort and I play in solo anyway but I plan to do this.

I have never used the autodock or SC assist, but I have always played in VR and tend to stay engaged until I need to get up. I suppose if I wanted to be afk while playing pancake mode I may use one or both but still wouldn't trust the autodock without me being there so what's the point then?
Also I have recently gone through the tutes again and the autodock sequence drove me nuts waiting on other ships. Screw that, I am one of those CMDRs that ain't got time fo none that. I get docking access and I am heading in and vice versa for taking off from a starport.
First thing I do is re-purpose those slots for other stuff when I get a new ship.

Deleted member 182079

D
I have never used the autodock or SC assist, but I have always played in VR and tend to stay engaged until I need to get up. I suppose if I wanted to be afk while playing pancake mode I may use one or both but still wouldn't trust the autodock without me being there so what's the point then?
Also I have recently gone through the tutes again and the autodock sequence drove me nuts waiting on other ships. Screw that, I am one of those CMDRs that ain't got time fo none that. I get docking access and I am heading in and vice versa for taking off from a starport.
First thing I do is re-purpose those slots for other stuff when I get a new ship.
The only ships I properly use autodock as designed is when I'm flying heavy/slow ships (T9, T10, Cutter to some extent) and where the station isn't too busy (so definitely not at Colonia, or at CG systems). I tend to speed through the mailslot while having AD engaged, but as long as you don't throttle to zero (or switch to FA Off) the docking computer won't kick in, so I could boost in, then throttle down and even though I may have overshot the computer will move me conveniently backwards onto my pad.

Also handy if a ganker is coming after you and tries to ram you while you maneuver manually towards the pad, and you don't even have to worry about extending landing gear.

The only ships I properly use autodock as designed is when I'm flying heavy/slow ships (T9, T10, Cutter to some extent) and where the station isn't too busy (so definitely not at Colonia, or at CG systems). I tend to speed through the mailslot while having AD engaged, but as long as you don't throttle to zero (or switch to FA Off) the docking computer won't kick in, so I could boost in, then throttle down and even though I may have overshot the computer will move me conveniently backwards onto my pad.

Also handy if a ganker is coming after you and tries to ram you while you maneuver manually towards the pad, and you don't even have to worry about extending landing gear.
Fair enough, the only large ship I've messed with is the annie and I always thought the scrape marks on the top of the helm and belly from the mailslot were to give it character :D

Deleted member 182079

D
Fair enough, the only large ship I've messed with is the annie and I always thought the scrape marks on the top of the helm and belly from the mailslot were to give it character :D
Corvette is the only large ship I don't bother fitting any piloting aids (because it flies like a medium), and also my mining Conda because I have all internals used up for other things, and yes especially with the Beluga, but also the T9, and sometimes the Cutter, I tend to hold my breath when going through the mailslot, particularly at asteroid bases. Going AFK during docking is not a good idea, not just because the computer might mess up but also because another player might have some fun of their own with your pilotless ship;)

I have auto-dock on ships where I can spare the slot, such as exploration ships like the AspX and DBX, or cargo like the T9. I don't use it on any combat or mining or multi-purpose ships. I hate waiting in the queue, though, so like others have pointed out, I never use until after I'm through the slot.

I love classical music, but wish there was more than just one option. I appreciate the Space Odyssey reference but I've now heard more Blue Danube than any other piece of classical music in my life. This seems appropriate and is royalty-free:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs
. Some mellow piano pieces by the likes of Debussy or Chopin would feel right at home, too.

Top Bottom