Everything petting zoo/farm/domestic animals pack

Not really... one of the biggest problems I see with most domestic animals is that they come in a massive variety of breeds, all with their own unique appearances... we could make an entire roster out of domestic breeds. So which ones do we add? And how many? Because there are a lot... and I'd rather see more actual zoo animals than farm ones.
They could just do what they did with the fox and give a million colourmorphs. But most people here don't want like general farm animals. Stuff like Highland Cattle and guineafowl which have one colour seems more wanted.

I never thought about domesticated animals until recently.
In my new zoo I really wanted to create a farm area like the Hannover Zoo has.
Meyer's farm is home to many endangered breeds of domestic animals. When I visit the zoo, I'm actually there most of the time.
And this is anything but a petting zoo! Of course you can scratch the ponies on the forehead, but the paddock is big enough for them to go when they have had enough.
1677219863358.png

1677219995278.png

1677220015761.png

1677220101728.png

When browsing through the list of animals, I first noticed that I can't do that at all.
So my desire for at least a few essential species has actually increased.

Including rabbits, I find them extremely important for the game. It's not even necessarily because I'm particularly fond of rabbits. It's just that rabbits need a whole new rig and animations. Please imagine what the modding community could do with it. Just because it's something new and not the 25th cat.
Same goes for chickens, geese, ducks, swans - new rigs, new animations, tons of new mods.
I personally love dwarf goats, I don't want to pet them, but they are fun to look at and I just love the variety of colors.
Sheep, cows, donkeys and ponies, maybe small tortoises like the Greek tortoise.
A lot of farms here keep carrier pigeons in a loft, it would be cool to get some for a WE (apart from the budgies which I would prefer due to the color variation) Additionally, white storks could be a thing. In Germany, many farms have a stork's nest on the roof.

So definitely a "YES" from me

They could just do what they did with the fox and give a million colourmorphs.
Colormorphs are colors, nothing more... since different breeds often have different appearances, they'd need new models and even rigs to work.

When browsing through the list of animals, I first noticed that I can't do that at all.
So my desire for at least a few essential species has actually increased.

Including rabbits, I find them extremely important for the game. It's not even necessarily because I'm particularly fond of rabbits. It's just that rabbits need a whole new rig and animations. Please imagine what the modding community could do with it. Just because it's something new and not the 25th cat.
Same goes for chickens, geese, ducks, swans - new rigs, new animations, tons of new mods.
I personally love dwarf goats, I don't want to pet them, but they are fun to look at and I just love the variety of colors.
Sheep, cows, donkeys and ponies, maybe small tortoises like the Greek tortoise.
A lot of farms here keep carrier pigeons in a loft, it would be cool to get some for a WE (apart from the budgies which I would prefer due to the color variation) Additionally, white storks could be a thing. In Germany, many farms have a stork's nest on the roof.

So definitely a "YES" from me
Most of this can be done with wild animals... honestly, I feel some people here greatly overestimate the potential for domesticated animals to be unique...

Last edited:
Most of this can be done with wild animals... honestly, I feel some people here greatly overestimate the potential for domesticated animals to be unique...
A lot of the domestic animal choices would be far unique than many of the animals we've already gotten.
Plus, a lot of the wild animals, like Cap said, don't give off the same vibe as domestics would.

Honestly, i don't understand how getting 5 animals out of 150+ ruins the whole zoo experience that many are saying.
We're clearly gonna get at least 27 more species, so having less than 1/5 of those being domestic isn't a waste of a slot, especially considering that many here do want them. This feels like the Europe DLC all over again

A lot of the domestic animal choices would be far unique than many of the animals we've already gotten.
Plus, a lot of the wild animals, like Cap said, don't give off the same vibe as domestics would.

Honestly, i don't understand how getting 5 animals out of 150+ ruins the whole zoo experience that many are saying.
We're clearly gonna get at least 27 more species, so having less than 1/5 of those being domestic isn't a waste of a slot, especially considering that many here do want them. This feels like the Europe DLC all over again
I think you mean at least 23 more animals. Unless your going under the assumption we'll get all animal packs this year.

I think you mean at least 23 more animals. Unless your going under the assumption we'll get all animal packs this year.
I think he's counting exhibits
Animal pack have 8 animals (including exhibits). Standard are 5 (including exhibits).

We're getting 4 DLC this year, right? 8+8=16. 16+5+5=26.

Let's also not forget the anniversary animal. While there's no 100% reason we'll get one, there's no reason why we wouldn't, as the last 2 years we've gotten one. So, add 1 and we have a grand total of 27 slots this year, at least. I'm excluding any potential animals that may get the butterfly treatment

I'm torn on this one.

I really want (and need for some of the builds) domestic animals, but I wouldn't be happy giving up a DLC slot for them. At least not any time soon. Then again I would be bummed out if we end up with no cattles, ponies and donkeys
I was on some ZT2 page and a modder is in the process of expanding the Farm Pack that @Mjmannella had done. They plan to bring the Shetland pony, domestic sheep, domestic goat, & domestic chicken into the game via a building that brings us a petting zoo.
It looks quite amazing and it's unbelievable how skilled people are to modify files in a game.

I'm telling y'all, if y'all haven't played Zoo Tycoon 2 or if it's been many years, y'all should give it a go. It has this charm that Planet Zoo lacks, and I can go back to it all the time. With mods, the experience is enhanced even more

My main issue with a children's farm pack is I really can't choose which it should be... A scenery pack would give us a ton of great farm pieces that would help for building these areas but we would only get a few animals which probably isn't enough. Meanwhile an animal pack would give us more than enough animals but we wouldn't get any of that essential scenery...

My main issue with a children's farm pack is I really can't choose which it should be... A scenery pack would give us a ton of great farm pieces that would help for building these areas but we would only get a few animals which probably isn't enough. Meanwhile an animal pack would give us more than enough animals but we wouldn't get any of that essential scenery...
We could easily get a few unique feeders which serve as 'scenery' like hay bales and general farm animal feeders. Building materials already exist using general wooden pieces like slats, stained wood, wooden supports

Like i have a made simple hoofstock habitat with wild water buffalo using conservation slats for fencing, stained wood and slate roofs for the keeper building. I opted for no feeders or enrichment (sandbox) for the more realistic approach, a water tap is behind the building to hide it from guest view
20230224161339_1.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t remember anyone saying that… the op asked if we (each) want a domestic pack and some of us said we didn’t. For myself, I have nothing intrinsically against domestic animals, it’s just that there aren’t any in my top 50 wanted animals - therefore, a domestic pack would (for me) be a waste.

"Petting zoo" pack, yes. I can imagine monkeys and maras being included in that alongside maybe some domestics like a rabbit, a duck or a goat. That way we could get a mix of wild and domestic animals and everyones is happy. Small birds or parrots could be introduced in this pack as well as WE animals.

Farm pack no, i have no interest in a pack that is 100% domestic animals even if some breeds of sheep or cattle are cool. Only way i would probably would by a pack like that is if it includes a waterfowl (mainly a duck) and birds as WE animals.

There are some domestic animals i would like in the game but not as much as i want other wild animals we still don't have and like DarthQuell said, we are likely looking at the beginning of the end of support with a limited number of slots left.

That said, i realize that a Children's zoo pack with farm animals and playground building pieces and interactive items is a very likely option for Frontier.

I don’t remember anyone saying that… the op asked if we (each) want a domestic pack and some of us said we didn’t. For myself, I have nothing intrinsically against domestic animals, it’s just that there aren’t any in my top 50 wanted animals - therefore, a domestic pack would (for me) be a waste.
It isn't what anybody said, but the attitude towards it. I have nothing against opinions regarding not wanting them, but people have repeated over and over again that it'll be a waste, not worth the time, and useless. Some have said that there aren't interesting choices and only "real" zoo animals belong in the game.

The facts are that domestic animals can be just as exotic and unique as wild animals. Also, domestic animals are just as important as wild animals in that many zoos do start with acquiring domestics at 1st and/or as rescues

It isn't what anybody said, but the attitude towards it. I have nothing against opinions regarding not wanting them, but people have repeated over and over again that it'll be a waste, not worth the time, and useless. Some have said that there aren't interesting choices and only "real" zoo animals belong in the game.

The facts are that domestic animals can be just as exotic and unique as wild animals. Also, domestic animals are just as important as wild animals in that many zoos do start with acquiring domestics at 1st and/or as rescues
Agreed, and weirdly not reflected in other forum opinions since the domestic axolotl morphs are popular and the wild water buffalo is wildly wished to be a domestic...

The facts are that domestic animals can be just as exotic and unique as wild animals.
This is the opposite of a fact. I agree it would be nice to have domestics as they are very common in zoos, but they are also very very low down in my personal priorities, nowhere near the top 50, so at this point I wouldn't want to lose 5 slots which could be used for wil animals to dpmestics.

This is the opposite of a fact. I agree it would be nice to have domestics as they are very common in zoos, but they are also very very low down in my personal priorities, nowhere near the top 50, so at this point I wouldn't want to lose 5 slots which could be used for wil animals to dpmestics.
It is a fact.
We've gotten some animals that I'd consider basic.
For example, if I were to choose between a domestic rabbit and a spectacled caiman for uniqueness, it's quite obvious a rabbit is far more unique than a croc clone.

Arctic wolf vs domestic donkey - the donkey would bring far more than the wolf does, to be honest.

I just want to clarify that I am not saying that I don't want any more wild animals or that domestics are better. But when people say that domestics are boring because wild animals are better, that is not true one bit. There are many examples out there to prove otherwise

Top Bottom