First exploration

Not sure if it is needed, but I usually scan the nav beacon first... Nav beacon is close to the main star of the system, just drop close to it (like you would drop to any other signal, station etc), target the navbeacon in your contact panel, get within 1km or so, it will scan the nav beacon automatically (you will get a message in your info panel, sayuing that the nav beacon was scanned) and then all the signals in the system will be in your navigation panel...
One more thing: when you target the signal, you will see in your info panel (the upper right) the details about the signal, including how long the signal will last (lets say 25 minutes for example). Always try to pick signal that has at least 20-30 minutes... Go to it, find out what is the drop, if it is something valuable, start collecting... Once you collect it, relog the game, go to supercruise, immediately go to nav panel, you will see the same signal again, target it, drop to it and loot it again... and again... and again...

Do I need a special scanner to find the signals ?

You do not, technically, as Lorenzo explained. But that method has a range limit, and anyway you have to spot them.

You can also find signal sources by scanning the nav beacon, or using the FSS to find the sources that show on the extreme left of the spectral analysis.

I tend to approach it this way... if I just dropped in the system, I'll hit the nav beacon. If I am already deeper in the system, the FSS. Nav beacon is faster, and always complete, plus you can usually find some good bounty targets in there.

FSS is used more, because USSs are dynamic, some expire and new ones appear, so it pays to scan regularly to catch the newest ones while they still have plenty of time left before they, in turn, expire.

Ok Thank you
I'm off to do me some scanning

One thing........when I go to Sag a I would like to take a surface scanner, what don't I need so I can fit it to my ship

You need to target it (whatever is set to target ahead). And you must drop in to the nav beacon instance. And if you are 25m away you did. But if you were 25 Mm away, you didn't.

If successful, once the scan is done, low-wake out and check your nav panel (filter out fleet carriers is my advice) and select the first signal source you want to drop in. When you select it, some info appears in the upper right of the HUD, inlcluding the faction and the time remaining so you know how quickly you need to get there. Once you drop you're good, even if one second remained.

Last edited:
You're hunting for Focus Crystals, if I remember correctly from the guide above, you need 25?

Well you could be hunting a while for that amount. So collect everything you can.

If you make your way to system '16 Librae' which is 21ly from Mabe, there is a station there that has a Material Trader, he/she can be found in the station Borisenko Station. When you dock, go to starport services/contacts, the Material Trader will be in there. Here you can swap items you have for items you want. So it could be an idea to travel over to that system, do the nav beacon thing, collect what you can then visit the trader to get the focus crystals.

Once you have all the ingredients, make your way over to LP 685-43, dock at Lie Ring. Do the same thing, Starport Services/Contacts but this time look for the Technology Broker. Here you hand in your ingredients. Now, in most stations in the game (including the one you are in) you go to outfitting, and in Optional Slots, you will find a section in the store, FSD Boosters. That is what you have unlocked, buy one, fit it.

When you're ready to talk about building your explorer build, give us a list of your optional slots and what you have in them (including any empty ones). You will get a range of advice, the good advice will explain their choices. You also have some travel experience now, so you have an idea what you want to do, so think about that when asking for advice.

I mention this because normally, a compromise has to be made somewhere. You could fit the smallest fuel scoop to accommodate another module, that is fine but scooping will take far, far longer meaning a lot of your game time is eaten up by refuelling.

Anyway, sort the FSD Booster, we'll come back to this.

You're hunting for Focus Crystals, if I remember correctly from the guide above, you need 25?

Well you could be hunting a while for that amount. So collect everything you can.

If you make your way to system '16 Librae' which is 21ly from Mabe, there is a station there that has a Material Trader, he/she can be found in the station Borisenko Station. When you dock, go to starport services/contacts, the Material Trader will be in there. Here you can swap items you have for items you want. So it could be an idea to travel over to that system, do the nav beacon thing, collect what you can then visit the trader to get the focus crystals.

Once you have all the ingredients, make your way over to LP 685-43, dock at Lie Ring. Do the same thing, Starport Services/Contacts but this time look for the Technology Broker. Here you hand in your ingredients. Now, in most stations in the game (including the one you are in) you go to outfitting, and in Optional Slots, you will find a section in the store, FSD Boosters. That is what you have unlocked, buy one, fit it.

When you're ready to talk about building your explorer build, give us a list of your optional slots and what you have in them (including any empty ones). You will get a range of advice, the good advice will explain their choices. You also have some travel experience now, so you have an idea what you want to do, so think about that when asking for advice.

I mention this because normally, a compromise has to be made somewhere. You could fit the smallest fuel scoop to accommodate another module, that is fine but scooping will take far, far longer meaning a lot of your game time is eaten up by refuelling.

Anyway, sort the FSD Booster, we'll come back to this.
Ok
I will follow that advice and get back in touch when I'm set to go.

Thank you again for your help, and all other Cmdrs on this thread, you're legends

... and all other Cmdrs on this thread, you're legends

Finally... I thought you'd never say that...

iu

Here is a thought... on your nav panel... on the left side... there is a filter... open that up and remove any checks except for signal sources. It may show the nav beacon and other uss signals in the area. Correct me if I am wrong... II am wrong.. it don't work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom