Fleet Carriers - Patch 3 - Known Issues

My abrasion blaster works fine.
Have you tried removing SD scabs from the interior of a blasted core after first mining the core rock in some other way before blasting? That is the circumstance that glitches the blaster. Other uses do seem fine, and for cores, not mining it in other ways before blasting also seems fine.

Greetings Commanders,

Thanks for your feedback on the latest patch! We understand that some of the changes had unexpected effects and want to address them:
Finally, we would like to thank you all for your great feedback, we have been listening and watching and we appreciate your patience and support.

o7 Commanders.

Oh hey there FDev! You know...I too have been having some concerns with a game I frequently play - it's called The Frontier Store.

Yeah, I've noticed that they're earning far too much money for games that they're ruining with their stupid actions.

But it's all good. I fixed it.

I just closed my wallet.

The problem should resolve itself if others do the same.

3,000 hours in the game. Hundreds in the store spent.

I think I'll just go do something more productive while you all continue to ruin the game and have all the forum posters tell you what a wonderful job you're doing.

As for me, I'm done with this childish nonsense. All you do is nerf anything players find to make money and then cause endless bugs that you "promise will be fixed" that end up on the back burner because you're trying to push out new content that, let's be honest - is drivel.

You could be adding depth to this game and instead you're giving us...what? Space legs? In a flight sim?

Well, that's cool. You enjoy and keep livin' the dream.

I'm going to go vote for some other game...you know, with my money.

Elite wouldn't be in this state if Fdev would be a German company. ;)
As a german, working in a german company I can tell you: This has nothing to do with nationalities. Each medium to big company tends to become a huge ocean liner with slow processes and slow management and even slower customer support due to the sheer amount of synchro meetings to keep all the participants up to date and the stuff and staff on the right path.
(I've got a coffee cup on my desk at work with the text: "Another meeting, that should have been an e-mail.")

Ok, FD's Community Management does its job very badly and seems to be only there in order to post the texts the devs put together behind the scenes. Getting engaged in the discussion would be a hole new thing - they should feel the pulse of the community, should feel as a part of the community - and not only FD's speaker box. They are unfortunately hardly present in here - due to... reasons... :-(

Sorry for being salty, but you know... reasons...

Last edited:
Michael Barrymore hosted a show called Strike it Lucky, which had hotspots as a gameplay feature you had to avoid.
As Rubbernuke noted. But particularly for us Brits of a certain age we will remember the catch phrase when someone landed on the hotspot. The host would say:
“What is a hotspot not?”
To which the audience would reply:
“Not a good spot”
which seems rather appropriate currently.
"What is a hotspot not? "Not a good spot!" Ah yes, thanks for reminding me.

Have you tried removing SD scabs from the interior of a blasted core after first mining the core rock in some other way before blasting? That is the circumstance that glitches the blaster. Other uses do seem fine, and for cores, not mining it in other ways before blasting also seems fine.

Having tested a fair bit last night and this morning, I have a roughly 10-15% success rate on having the abrasion blasters working after exposing the core.

No apparent effect on the clearing of any SSDs before hand though.

Found about 25 cores over several hours in a VO Hotspot, only one was VO, 2x Bromellite and the rest were LTDs. The VO and one LTD allowed me to clear the core deposits as well, and the LTD one also had SSDs I cleared first, whereas I laser mined tritium from the VO first.

All other cores were a dud, other than the fragments that were released during the core explosion.

Since you are using the word "our expectations", regarding the following quote:

If the data does not meet our expectations we will be making changes accordingly.

Than I would like to know what your expectations (as a company) is. I have as a consumer different expectations though.
I am posting this because there was no follow up on my previous post. And the way I kind of look at it right now:

• tritium is barely there. I have different comments on a social channel that people cannot use their fleet carrier, deleted their accounts even, or just stopped playing the game because of it.
  • low temp diamonds are very rare (see my results). I think you also did something with the price of these commodities since it has been below 900K since friday. And most likely before that, but I have no data for that to back it up.
  • Everyone who is taking mining serious now are jumping on to painite mining. So nerf that too... because it is pretty unbalanced to have 50% painite rocks in tripple spots where LTDs could be around 30% / 40% ish. (yeah, that is sarcasm for you)
  • Combat needs a buff because there is actual danger in to doing combat while mining is just staring at rocks (in solo that is).

Do I expect a response? No, my expectations are very low at this point. Do I expect this to change? No... those expectations have been dropped because I have been paying attention.

Have a good night

Sit down; you're talking about something you clearly don't understand and have never done. What you're describing is amateur hour, unprofessional, seat-of-the-pants hacking and that is NOT how any serious software project is done, certainly not for any code-base of any reasonable size or complexity. In REAL software development, devs write code, devs also test that code before it goes to QC and devs review code before it gets pushed to the main branch; that means profiling for performance, writing test harnesses for verification, ensuring that the implementation meets requirements BEFORE it ever gets fired over the fence. In modern software development, QC is simply the final black box check but the code is verified long before it gets to them and it should only very rarely come back to dev from QC if the devs have done the job correctly in the first place.

No testing is crowdsourced to the users. That's how development works these days. It's much cheaper to have the users test that to have professional testers. Also it shortens development time considerably. Why do you think games have public alpha and public beta stages? So you can report bugs while the game is in development. It's been like that for at least a decade. Games are not business software.

Tritium
One of the most noted points of feedback we've seen so far is that the rarity of Tritium has been negatively impacted. We'd like to make it clear that any negative impact on locating and mining Tritium is unintentional and the intention is for Tritium to remain as accessible as it was prior to Patch 3.

In addition to the mining issue, does this "accessibility" also apply to buying tritium at stations? Please clarify.

We were told that we wouldn't have to mine it. We were told that we could buy it at stations.

Those in Colonia suddenly can't.

Those in the Bubble have suddenly been hit by a near-tenfold increase in Carrier running costs.

And none of this was mentioned in the patch notes, or anywhere else, as far as I know. So was THIS "unintentional" too? Could someone please tell us what is going on with station tritium supplies? When should we fill up again?

No testing is crowdsourced to the users. That's how development works these days. It's much cheaper to have the users test that to have professional testers. Also it shortens development time considerably. Why do you think games have public alpha and public beta stages? So you can report bugs while the game is in development. It's been like that for at least a decade. Games are not business software.
Everything we are seeing should have been caught in decent BETA testing.. BUT, we don't seem to have any transparency about how many and what play mode the BETA testers are.
BUT. Microsoft is forcing the common masses to be the BETA testers for their Enterprise Updates.

Ehm... Ok, back end dev jumping in to this. back end developments are some what different than comparing this with game development. And as Kestral71 kind of described is how back end code is being made, and published in lets say an API type of driven application. You basically make unit tests to see if the controllers do what they need too do, and once everything gets a green light you are ready to publish the code without having to think about any fault that might be there (since unit testing did all the work for you).

Testing is not by definition crowdsourced to users. By definition... Because than you would talk about alpha releases. But herewe are... Elite Dangerous is not marketted as such. It is not in alpha trials. It is intended as a released version. I have seen similar discussions about let's say "EgoSoft" and "X4 foundations". They released it as a finished product. They did not go with the early access and let users just find the bugs for them. This is not an alpha... this is just being plain lazy, and release a patch with out having it being tested at first.

Sorry... but there is just that.

And to say it is much cheaper to have users test the game before letting it being test before hand doesn't cut it for me either. If you let this go like "we have no clue what we are going to release, yet we will release it anyways and let our users be the testing ground for it". It will leave you with bad press... and ow boy this patch is already getting that. And something you do not want as a marketing department: "bad press".

good luck with that idea.

Greetings Commanders,

Thanks for your feedback on the latest patch! We understand that some of the changes had unexpected effects and want to address them:

Overlapping Hotspots Commodity Distribution
With Patch 3 we implemented a change that was primarily intended to bring down the effects of multiple overlapping hotspots, especially on rarer commodities (such as Low Temperature Diamonds). We're currently looking at data from the live game to determine the actual impact that it is having and will review this based on our projections. If the data does not meet our expectations we will be making changes accordingly.

Tritium
One of the most noted points of feedback we've seen so far is that the rarity of Tritium has been negatively impacted. We'd like to make it clear that any negative impact on locating and mining Tritium is unintentional and the intention is for Tritium to remain as accessible as it was prior to Patch 3.

Limited Purchasing on Fleet Carriers
Fleet Carrier purchase orders are now limited to a maximum order of 2bn Credits. This was omitted from the patch notes and we apologise for any confusion this has caused.

Console Players
A small update will take place tomorrow around midday for Xbox and Playstation users. This update won't contain any noticeable changes, but lays the groundwork for future bug fixes.

Finally, we would like to thank you all for your great feedback, we have been listening and watching and we appreciate your patience and support.

o7 Commanders.
lies if u are reading , u would make other activities (especialy combat) more lucrative

Now you've changed your original statement. No one is claiming that end users aren't involved in testing, but by the time it goes to users, you're handing off code that at least functions enough to be considered to have met requirements. It's still been tested MANY, MANY, MANY times by devs during development and has had several QC passes. End users will always be a fundamental part of finding bugs, but no (professional) dev has ever slapped down some code, assumed it's probably going to work and fired it off to users without any sort of dev testing and at least a couple of passes through QC. You'll also note that this patch had no alpha or beta; it was pushed out to production, indicating that it was considered complete - yet it failed to meet the basic requirements indicated in the patch notes; this is not a minor bug where the yields are slightly too high or there's some weird bug that causes yields to double; the code they wrote and pushed to production is fundamentally BROKEN enough that it has ground a big part of the game to a halt. And yet... as I pointed out before, it took mere hours for miners on Reddit to clearly demonstrate, with hard evidence, how badly the patch is broken, so this clearly points to a serious problem with the way the dev teams are testing their code. It's the point of ineptitude that something THIS badly broken would ever be pushed to QC let alone out to end-users.

You're right, gaming software is not the same as business software, but there are many things in common when dealing with large, complex codebases that have complex underlying models. For example, my team has a massive Azure automation lab that costs, even with price reductions from Microsoft due to long-term contracts, many tens of thousands a month, we have dedicated automation developers, and our sprints have time built in purely for developer unit-testing and run-testing in addition to QC testing. On top of that, we have on-premises labs containing virtual machines running simulators for proprietary devices not supported in Azure which also costs several thousand a month in running costs, hardware fees and licencing. What we are doing is not unusual, it's pretty standard practice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom