Ganking / Taranis

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem is that ED is presented and marketed as an MMO, it superficially looks like an MMO, but it isn't an MMO. One of those Ms stands for "massively". How many players can we instance with at once?

ED is actually a single- player game with some multi-player features bolted on.
No, a single player game would not have to make all these compromises ED had to undertake. It's been designed as a MP game and then they probably watched some MP games and got cold feet. It's a game that doesn't know what it is but it wanted to be a MP in the beginning. Supercruise, mode of transport, how to get missions, how to "save" your progress, how you load instances, how often the game updates the simulation, the background simulation, "ticks" - it's all down to MP. There is no SP in it. If it were it'd be a much more enjoyable game. At least we likely could mod the atrociously crappy engineers away.

I got blown up at Taranis.
I was flying around in my T7 hatchbreaking people until someone finally decided to shoot back, at which point pretty much the entire instance took the cue to lynch me.
100% worth it baby, it was absolutely hilarious. The rest of them must have been itching for that "isn't someone going to shoot that guy?" moment to all pile in

I was flying around in my T7 hatchbreaking people until someone finally decided to shoot back, at which point pretty much the entire instance took the cue to lynch me.
100% worth it baby, it was absolutely hilarious. The rest of them must have been itching for that "isn't someone going to shoot that guy?" moment to all pile in
This is emergent content and I love it!! 😊

EPIC

I do think it's pretty lame (and very low hanging fruit tbh) to sit in the Titan cloud and pick off CMDRs, but it's a known part of human nature that people will stoop to absolutely any level to be noticed by someone else for any amount of time for any reason; so it sure is going to happen.

You, OP, are proposing that this chases people into Solo; and some of the other posters' advice seems to align with this: they're basically calling you stupid for playing in Open. Well I don't really agree, but I get the frustration.

I was ganked a bunch of times in the Tiranis cloud. There's nothing you can really do about it but block those people after they blow you up. Thankfully there aren't a ton of people doing this, so yeah you might get ganked once per session, but usually after you block that person you're fine. And unlike a lot of other situations I'm kind of expecting to die pretty frequently in the Titan cloud anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

Personally, for me; the increased range of possibilities xgood, bad, or just amusing; is worth the unpredictable risks of playing in Open. I am much more inclined to "retreat" into Solo or Private due to terrible netcode and instancing issues (which the titans have in SPADES btw), than the threat of other CMDRs.

The Open experience at Taranis was cool, albeit obnoxious because the GAME doesn't actually work properly in multiplayer, so only one person was allowed to bomb the vents at a time in order to prevent the instance from breaking - people were really good about collectively self-organizing around this game breaking bug; though. It was an entire instance of spontaneous cooperation not just in gameplay but in counterintuitive workarounds for a broken game.

Incidentally, the instancing bug provides a justification and incentive for PVP ganking: anyone other than the assigned vent bomber NEEDS to stop launching nanite torpedoes and if they don't respond to messages, then yes: blowing them up is fantastic for everyone. I don't think this was the motivation of the gankers in my instance, although who knows? Like most people, I arrived at Tiranis expecting the game to work properly, and had to be told by other CMDRs NOT to do the one specific thing I had outfitted my ship to do.

I was also interdicted + attacked immediately on my way in a few times. The interdictions are easier to deal with since it's just a 1 on 1 dogfight. Not sure how many other people do this, but: you don't have to just straight line boost away from your ganker.

In PVP I have not had this work most of the time; they usually have no trouble keeping up and in most builds they will destroy you and even if they don't, by the time your FSD cools down and charges up again, it'll be enough damage to your ship that it wrecks your trip to the Titan Cloud.

Instead, I "dogfight" with the PvPer, participating in their turning battle and in general trying to stay on their tail or at least out of their sights. I keep my harpoints retracted and I just keep circling behind them while the FSD cools down and then charges up for the jump. Yes the FSD takes longer to charge due to the mass inhibition factor, but it doesn't really matter. I've been consistently surprised at how bad most gankers are at keeping an evasive target in their sights. Even with an under specced ship, you usually have the advantage here since you do not need to get any time on target; all you have to focus on is being behind them at all times.

Anyway, most of the time that I was at Taranis there were other PvPers who had self-organized around chasing gankers out of the system; they'd message me and o7 on their way in, and ask for names of any CMDRs who I've observed ganking/interdicting, so idunno all in all I think the totality of the experience around Taranis was made more interesting and fun by playing in Open, and my only true deep complaint about Open (and for the most part Private as well), is that there is so much of the game which is simply broken when multiple players are in the same instance. It's lame and sad that this mandatory online game can't handle the most basic multiplayer functionality that it is ostensibly designed around, especially at this truly advanced stage in the game's lifecycle, but here we are.

TL,DR: The worst part of Open play is not the gankers it is the broken netcode.

Excellent reply, and ty for taking the time.

I had the exact same experience.

I don't know what you were up to, who was right and who was wrong, but attacking a T7 is a heinous crime, and I would have sided with you!

I do think it's pretty lame (and very low hanging fruit tbh) to sit in the Titan cloud and pick off CMDRs, but it's a known part of human nature that people will stoop to absolutely any level to be noticed by someone else for any amount of time for any reason; so it sure is going to happen.

You, OP, are proposing that this chases people into Solo; and some of the other posters' advice seems to align with this: they're basically calling you stupid for playing in Open. Well I don't really agree, but I get the frustration.

I was ganked a bunch of times in the Tiranis cloud. There's nothing you can really do about it but block those people after they blow you up. Thankfully there aren't a ton of people doing this, so yeah you might get ganked once per session, but usually after you block that person you're fine. And unlike a lot of other situations I'm kind of expecting to die pretty frequently in the Titan cloud anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

Personally, for me; the increased range of possibilities xgood, bad, or just amusing; is worth the unpredictable risks of playing in Open. I am much more inclined to "retreat" into Solo or Private due to terrible netcode and instancing issues (which the titans have in SPADES btw), than the threat of other CMDRs.

The Open experience at Taranis was cool, albeit obnoxious because the GAME doesn't actually work properly in multiplayer, so only one person was allowed to bomb the vents at a time in order to prevent the instance from breaking - people were really good about collectively self-organizing around this game breaking bug; though. It was an entire instance of spontaneous cooperation not just in gameplay but in counterintuitive workarounds for a broken game.

Incidentally, the instancing bug provides a justification and incentive for PVP ganking: anyone other than the assigned vent bomber NEEDS to stop launching nanite torpedoes and if they don't respond to messages, then yes: blowing them up is fantastic for everyone. I don't think this was the motivation of the gankers in my instance, although who knows? Like most people, I arrived at Tiranis expecting the game to work properly, and had to be told by other CMDRs NOT to do the one specific thing I had outfitted my ship to do.

I was also interdicted + attacked immediately on my way in a few times. The interdictions are easier to deal with since it's just a 1 on 1 dogfight. Not sure how many other people do this, but: you don't have to just straight line boost away from your ganker.

In PVP I have not had this work most of the time; they usually have no trouble keeping up and in most builds they will destroy you and even if they don't, by the time your FSD cools down and charges up again, it'll be enough damage to your ship that it wrecks your trip to the Titan Cloud.

Instead, I "dogfight" with the PvPer, participating in their turning battle and in general trying to stay on their tail or at least out of their sights. I keep my harpoints retracted and I just keep circling behind them while the FSD cools down and then charges up for the jump. Yes the FSD takes longer to charge due to the mass inhibition factor, but it doesn't really matter. I've been consistently surprised at how bad most gankers are at keeping an evasive target in their sights. Even with an under specced ship, you usually have the advantage here since you do not need to get any time on target; all you have to focus on is being behind them at all times.

Anyway, most of the time that I was at Taranis there were other PvPers who had self-organized around chasing gankers out of the system; they'd message me and o7 on their way in, and ask for names of any CMDRs who I've observed ganking/interdicting, so idunno all in all I think the totality of the experience around Taranis was made more interesting and fun by playing in Open, and my only true deep complaint about Open (and for the most part Private as well), is that there is so much of the game which is simply broken when multiple players are in the same instance. It's lame and sad that this mandatory online game can't handle the most basic multiplayer functionality that it is ostensibly designed around, especially at this truly advanced stage in the game's lifecycle, but here we are.

TL,DR: The worst part of Open play is not the gankers it is the broken netcode.

This is excellent. Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom