A short while later I end up hitting a gravitational anomaly and decide to call it a day.

8unAFRV.png

Tomorrow, unless I have a dramatic change of mind, I begin the long journey home!

Colonia Jedis Confirmed!
Fly safe, cmdr. Thank you for your visit.

JRbVYye.png

Going to California Colonia
Spent my days with a woman unkind
Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine
Made up my mind to make a new start
Going To California Colonia with an aching in my heart
Someone told me there's a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair
(Led Zeppelin - 1971)

I've been putting it off for a long time but I'm stating my intention to finally take a proper trip out to Colonia (just as soon as Speedbowl IV is over). I want to do it properly tho, not rush it (which is why I deliberately avoided taking part in Exigeous' Colonia Speedrun earlier in the year) - but try to make a proper journey out of it.

For that reason I'm looking for suggestions of "must see" waypoints along the way so I can break the journey there (and back) into a whole bunch of shorter stages, each with a specific destination in mind along the route (and I don't mind taking a few detours either ... within reason).

I'm looking for all sorts of things. Systems of inherent natural beauty, awesome planets for a spot of SRV exploration, locations of cool stellar phenonema (I've only really seen the common variants in the bubble and not void hearts or peduncle trees for example) plus any other locations of special historical or community interest (for example, I definitely want to visit Evelyn's Light).

So ... please post your suggestions with descriptions (and preferably screenshots or short videos) and I'll start to try and compile a route plan here in the OP of this thread.

Colonia Connection Highway

Conflux abandoned settlements

"Evelyn's Light" - a memorial to jellowiggler's daughter (maybe take "Shan's Charis Orchid")

Thanks to @zibadian I've already been referred to EDSM's galactic map and prominent POI search facility plus its selection of interesting surface features, and also a few specific examples:
Floalt WC-C b16-6 (Chilled Views) - ice world with "spectacular views"
Trifid Sector OI-S b4-12 (Lucifer's Lair) - a rocky ice world in the trifid nebula with Pomeche like surface features
Nyeajaae IT-M c9-19 (Viridian Dreams) - a glowing green gas giant
Preae Ain CG-X e1-14 (Galactic Helium Reserve) - a system containing 23 Helium rich giants (a galactic record?)

Boeph ZJ-R e4-62 AB 1 a - planetary circumnavigation candidate (137 km Radius = 860.79 km circumference)

Spoihaae XE-X d2-9 (World of Death) - the planet that goes inside a neutron cone

Eol Prou RN-I C10-203 1 A - beautiful ridges to drive along

EOL PROU SR-W D1-1199 - binary pair of potato moons (maybe user geyser to jump between them?)

"Skaudai sites" - ruins of the Guardian exiles

Eoch Flyuae PY-R e4-684 (Clockwork nebula)

Clooku GR-U d3-112 (Fields of Elysium) - two ringed ELW's just 1ls apart

Smojoo ZE-R d4-109 (Musica Universalis) - An underappreciated system relatively close to the bubble but somewhat off the direct path

Eor Aowsy GR-W e1-1381 - glowing green giant
Eol Prou KW-L c8-32 - glowing green giant
Dryooe Prou FF-Z d696 - glowing green giant

"The festival grounds" - a short way before Colonia, has enough nebulae to keep you interested in finding your own sights for weeks[/url]

Things to see around Colonia

Foster Terminal in Coeus DONE
the twilight mountains of Concordia Hub in Edge Fraternity Landing
Mortimer's Charm in Kinesi DONE
Hyford's Wreck in the Colonia system DONE
mysterious wreckage orbiting Kinesi 3b DONE
Cmdr commemoration beacon outside Jaques Station
DONE
Dove Enigma memorial megaship DONE
"Colonia Point" - a pair of Wolf-Rayet stars at Thaae Pruae AA-A h5 giving a spectacular view of the galactic plane DONE

An 11g planet in KYLOALL CL-Y G1518 D1

TODO while I'm there ..

Table of locations (note to self: I've added up to Musica Universalis from the above list of suggestions so far)

NameDescriptionSystemDistance from SolDone?
Mammon Monitoring FacilityAsteroid Base (Colonia connection highway)Mammon : 2999 lyY
Hillary DepotPlanetary Outpost (Colonia connection highway)Blu Thua AI-A c14-10 : A 4 a2,105 lyY
Amundsen TerminalPlanetary Outpost (Colonia connection highway)Lagoon Sector NI-S b4-10 : 14,481 ly
Attenborough's WatchAsteroid Base (Colonia connection highway)Lagoon Sector FW-W d1-122 : A 54,510 lyY
Musica UniversalisUnderappreciated gas giant with colourful collection of moonsSmojoo ZE-R d4-1094,737 ly
Observation Post EpsilonAsteroid Base (Colonia connection highway)Trifid Sector IR-W d1-52 : 15,219 ly
Rock of IsolationDetention Centre (Colonia connection highway)Omega Sector OD-S b4-0 : ABCD 15,503 ly
Omega Mining OperationAsteroid Base (Colonia connection highway)Omega Sector VE-Q b5-15 : 75,513 lyY
Eagle Sector Secure FacilityAsteroid Base (Colonia connection highway)Eagle Sector IR-W d1-105 : A 17,006 ly
Eagle's LandingPlanetary Outpost (Colonia connection highway)Eagle Sector IR-W d1-117 : 2 a7,018 ly
Mjolnir's WrathDetention Centre (Colonia connection highway)Nyeajaae VU-Y a27-9 : 1 a7,688 ly
Eudaemon AnchorageOcellus Starport (Colonia connection highway)Rohini : AB 17,692 lyY
Eudoxus HitheOutpost (Colonia connection highway)^^^ : AB 2^^^Y
Alpha settlementConflux abandoned settlementPRU AESCS TY-J A64-1 : 39,165 lyY
Beta settlementConflux abandoned settlementPRU AESCS HW-S B31-2 : CD19,166 lyY
Delta settlementConflux abandoned settlementPRU AESCS NC-M D7-192 : A3A9,167 lyY
Gamma settlementConflux abandoned settlementPRU AESCS OI-K A64-0 : 1A9,169 lyY
Sacaqawea Space PortPlanetary Outpost (Colonia connection highway)Skaudai CH-B d14-34 : 1 a11,797 ly
Skaudai sitesGuardian ruins, sites 68, 69 and 92Skaudai AM-B d14-138 : A B 7 A11,797 ly
Fields of ElysiumTwo glorious ringed ELW'sClooku GR-U d3-11213,423 lyY
Gagarin GatePlanetary Outpost (Colonia connection highway)Gru Hypue KS-T d3-31 : 414,317 ly
Penal Ship OmicronDetention Centre (Colonia connection highway)Stuelou AT-J c25-24 : 215,615 ly
CaravanseraiOcellus Starport (Colonia connection highway)Gandharvi : A 115,620 lyY
Marlin's ReachOutpost (Colonia connection highway)^^^ : BC 2^^^Y
Polo HarbourPlanetary Outpost (Colonia connection highway)Boewnst KS-S c20-959 : 2 a17,589 lyY
Eor Aowsy GR-W e1-1381Glowing green giantEor Aowsy GR-W e1-1381 : ?18,008 lyY
Boeph ZJ-R e4-62 AB 1 aPlanetary circumnavigation candidateBoeph ZJ-R e4-62 : AB 1 a18,261 ly
Vihara GateOcellus Starport (Colonia connection highway)Kashyapa : 119,470 ly
Martyr's RestOutpost (Colonia connection highway)^^^ : 2 a^^^
Clockwork nebulaNebulaEoch Flyuae PY-R e4-68419,648 ly
XTE J1856+053Black hole on the edge of the "festival grounds" nebula collectionXTE J1856+05321,000 ly
Evelyn's LightMemorial for jellowiggler's daughterEvelyn's Light21,464 ly
EOL PROU SR-W D1-1199Challenge to jump SRV between two binary worldsEOL PROU SR-W D1-119921,725 ly
World of DeathPlanet inside neutron coneSpoihaae XE-X d2-9 : A 121,817 lyY
Kremmen's RespiteStation named after ElvisKremmenKioti 36821,972 lyY
Jaques StationColoniaColonia22,000 lyY
Eol Prou KW-L c8-32Glowing green giantEol Prou KW-L c8-32 : ?22,006 ly
Eol Prou RN-I C10-203 1 APlanet with awesome ridges to drive alongEol Prou RN-I C10-203 : 1 A22,058 lyY
Dryooe Prou FF-Z d696Glowing green giantDryooe Prou FF-Z d696 : ?22,821 ly

Link to the start of the adventure proper.
All I'm going to say, is good luck. And can i come with lmao?

All I'm going to say, is good luck. And can i come with lmao?
Thanks! You'd be welcome to come along, the only issue being the fact that, since you're replying to post #1 here, I suspect you might not yet have read the subsequent 42 days worth of adventures which bring me to my most recent update from this morning where I declare my intention to start heading back home again. 😬 I've had an absolute blast so far tho' so by all means follow in my foosteps and maybe we'll cross paths somewhere in the middle! 🙂

The guardian sites in Skaudai are amazing (if you have yet to visit them) and are my 'must do' stopover going to and from Colonia, even after a double handful of visits there it still holds sufficient 'mystery' to drag me back for another look around - another site that I have yet to visit in daylight too...

Thanks! You'd be welcome to come along, the only issue being the fact that, since you're replying to post #1 here, I suspect you might not yet have read the subsequent 42 days worth of adventures which bring me to my most recent update from this morning where I declare my intention to start heading back home again. 😬 I've had an absolute blast so far tho' so by all means follow in my foosteps and maybe we'll cross paths somewhere in the middle! 🙂
Thanks for informing me, good luck back home. Make sure to keep an eye out on your fuel, I'll be waiting if you run out, make sure to have a snicker!

I submit my runs and joke about how difficult it would be to make that jump from the "Back To Rehab" run while driving in reverse but Hojo assures me that the whole "reverse" thing wasn't supposed to be taken seriously ... but if there is a way to pull it off, I will surely make a "You need an Intervention" category.

Hmmm.
As soon as I saw Hojo say that I knew what was going to happen :ROFLMAO:

Day 42 - 1.02.3307
RIDGE RUNNING
Awesome!

Can't wait for daylight on my world now.

Some of these views do take patience - there's a particular screenshot from Prisma Renata which I knew was possible but it took me four years to actually be there at the right time for it :)
You can't say that and then not post the image Ian!

Day 43 - 02.02.3307
GOODBYES ARE NEVER EASY

And so it comes at last, time to say farewell to Colonia and head for home. Rather then setting straight off from Eol Prou RN-I C10-203 I make one last visit to the Dove Enigma which, more than Jaques strangely enough, has become my home while I've been out here. I'm assigned pad 07 again which I find unexpectedly touching.

2eE4qSf.png

It's going to be an emotional day ... my next stop is to be Evelyn's Light.

GGudtWH.png

Course plotted we leave the Enigma one last time ..

8xJvJZ8.png

.. and just a few short hops later I'm jumping to the system which has been on my itinerary since the very beginning.

EL7kPG7.png

For those that don't know, Evelyn's Light is a tribute to Evelyn Faye Roy, daughter of Cmdr @jellowiggler, who lost her fight against cancer at the shockingly young age of eleven.

You can read more about this brave young lady, the incredible support from the community and the creation of the Evelyn's Light tribute by visiting the forum thread posted by her father on the 29th February 2020.

memorial-for-my-little-commander

As for me, I honestly don't know what to say. Like many here I'm a father myself. For me this system is a place to reflect on life, on the beauty of it all and yes, sometimes the heartache that's a part of that and reminds us of its value.

Near to the central neutron star you will find a beacon.

gzQm860.png

AMjCpiE.png

The beacon contains a message which perhaps is best left for those that choose to make their own pilgramage to this beautiful spot.

5zOaAZz.png

And so I read it, and reflect, and shed a few tears as I fly.

rlHXWCg.png

I do my best attempt at writing an 07 in salute.

cwvbHjG.png

I deploy the Guardian fighter, don't really know what to do with it, and recall it again.

Zc4p0wv.png

And lastly I pay tribute with fireworks and words (by Evelyn) which those who visit this place will better understand.

Source: https://youtu.be/ElrMc4JgnDE

May the colours of Evelyn's Light shine forever.

💜💚💛🤍💙

Last edited:
Have a safe journey back and thanks for visiting us. We'll keep your landing pad at Dove Enigma ready for you when you decide to return. Thanks for sharing your journal as well, it definitely added some more must see sights to my list too.

o7

I'm logging in for work and saw this post that I was mentioned in and am reminded of my Evelyn. During our year and 1/2 long fight she was always the eternal light, even under duress. I'm also reminded of my family and friends and then this community who carried us through and offered condolences afterwards.

Thank you Alec for the wonderful images and words.
Everyone is welcome to visit Evelyn's Light and remember what a gift life is and to kiss your loved ones. Thank you Frontier for the little place to remember.

I'm having a little weep before I start the day.

o7

(The Distant Screws 2 expedition will be at Evelyn's Light on Feb 26, the anniversary of Ev's passing)

Last edited:
Thanks for taking us along on this journey with you so far, Alec! It's been a blast to follow along, but I'm excited to have you back in the promised land. :)

Day 43 (continued) - 02.02.3307
THE NEUTRON HIGHWAY

With 4 days left to get back to the bubble for the start of the Buckyball race it's time to get on board the Neutron Highway ... aka the Spansh neutron route plotter.

No time for detours now ... I'm making time!

02vtfl5.png

That said, there are a few places to visit that are actually on my way. First up is the Clockwork nebula in Eoch Flyuae PY-R e4-684.

It's a neutron system ..

l83PG1b.png

.. but as you get away from the star the harsh blue glow turns to a softer purple which makes a nice backdrop for the system's only landable planet.

cYD1h4G.png

Can't linger tho' ... I'm making time!

hBA0lD1.png

Next stop is the system of Kashyapa, home to two ports of call on the Colonia connection highway, the primary starport being Vihara Gate which is in close orbit around this beautiful ringed earthlike world.

e96UnoA.png

I pay a quick visit just to get the FSD (which takes a beating from the neutrons) back up to 100% integrity and then we're off again.

zoRaXap.png

When I finally stop for the day I'm 6,102 light years from Colonia and 15,911 light years from Sol. With luck (and lack of distraction) I should be able to cover a further 4 Kylies tomorrow.

Next stop, the Skaudai Guardian ruins ... and after that? There's nothing but distance between the Outworn Dalliances and home.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind Cmdr, I've sent you a friend request in-game. I'm heading in the opposite direction to you because of this great thread and would love to see where our journeys cross. You appear to have a 200ly range, whereas I have a more modest 40!

o7

This was a good read this thread, very enjoyable and glad that we did cross path.
I went to see if I could see The Pillars of Creation in Eagle Nebula as like pictures I had seen but never happen, I might of came in too quickly.
I am also heading back to the bubble once again, might get back there this evening.
Maybe we cross pathonce more and join you this time for some fun adventures.

Hope you don't mind Cmdr, I've sent you a friend request in-game. I'm heading in the opposite direction to you because of this great thread and would love to see where our journeys cross. You appear to have a 200ly range, whereas I have a more modest 40!

o7
No problem, friend request accepted. My jump range is actually just under 60ly but I'm using mostly neutron scooped jumps now which gives a 400% supercharge to the FSD.

Top Bottom