still you have to get a beer (old german recipe) at Helgoland, Home of the Likedeeler of Colonia. Be welcomed...

Prost & o9
Definitely on my todo list. For those that don't know about Likedeeler, here's what "Alec's Best of Forum" has to say about them ...

The Likedeeler Dangerous guide to the galaxy - Want to learn about Kumbardin soap-carving or the two-for-one liver transplant deals in Raijuhan Yi? Need to know how to feed the seahorses of Bipek and why not to give cigarettes to the Saagerlaken on HIP 277? Then this is the guide for you. Warning: the marzipan potatoes of HIP 117883 may contain traces of almond ... and Titanium!

the-dangerous-guide-to-the-galaxy

Day 31 - 20.01.3307
REPUTATION RESTORED

Roughly 23 hours later ...

Phew, well that was a hell of a battle! Either that or I must have just logged zoned out for a while. ;)

Anyway, I stand over the wreckage of my defeated foe ..

7LYpfrQ.png

.. and then scout the rest of the now undefended site. Further up the slope I find the source of all this wreckage, a downed Lakon Type-9 freighter.

WWihUGM.png

The only other thing of note amongst all the debris is a single unstable data core.

AkBDqbL.png

Seems like an awful lot of fuss is being made here over what appears to be a simple piece of salvage!

I'll learn later that these things are extremely volatile when damaged so perhaps I just didn't get to it in time.

oJyDtPc.png

For now tho' this will have to remain a mystery. I'll conclude my report on Hyford's Cache with a couple more images of the site taken in the pale light of dawn.

04pVDtC.png

l16H2BC.png

Next I plan to return to Colonia to clear things up with Jaques (a death mark's not an easy thing to live with) but I stop by a bar on the way and, while discussing the Hyford site with a local, learn of another mysterious wreck near Kinesi 3 b. Well hell, I'm all about mysteries today. On arrivial the FSS reveals there is indeed a human signal around the planet ..

PgI5aw4.png

.. and a probe uncovers a distress signal in low orbit.

KLQoY6H.png

There's wreckage everywhere.

RSuJe4g.png

In particular there are four private data beacons which I would have expected to contain further information about what transpired here but I can't seem to get anything from them. I go in for a closer look.

x6wGTnv.png

m860BMn.png

Yeah, pretty sure it's not supposed to be sparking like that and the other three are all the same. I'm guessing the Anaconda we saw through the window back there was the cause of this destruction ..

XF7Exnn.png

.. but there's no sign of its pilot ..

Y7G3Ql5.png

.. and the Type 9's are equally deserted.

cVJlP3H.png

Another mystery it seems. Oh well, when life gives you mysteries ... let off some fireworks!

XeoxeJ3.png

I leave none the wiser and head off to some backwater Interstellar Factors where I can clear my 2000 credit bounty. I then return to Jaques station and look for some missions I can run that will restore my reputation here (a problem otherwise since the holographic bartender is refusing to serve "someone of my low standing"). Luckily there's a high value source and return for 63 units of Insulating Membrane. Well hell, that sounds easy!

ikpfMHR.png

Three different stops later (Tolagarf's Junkyard, Neugebauer Mines and Moore's Charm) I'm learning that these things are in short supply. Let's try Berman Market.

Qc9p5a2.png

xS0iQ5G.png

Just another 14 units, I'm barely half way! But then I notice the tip at Berman Market about there being supply of these things at PZY-9TV. Now hang on a minute, that's a fleet carrier designation ... a fellow commander is selling this stuff! They'll probably be charging over the odds but what the heck. Time is running out on this mission and I need to be somewhere else. Five minutes later and I'm approaching the fleet carrier.

KlvAze9.png

Bingo! They have the quantity I need and they're not even expensive. Thanks Cmdr Cabnet. o7

DvtE4lC.png

A short while later and I've delivered the cargo back to Jaques, restored my reputation and bought myself a drink.

97LAckV.png

All in all, not a bad day.

Last edited:
Day 32 - 21.01.3307
COLONIA POINT

Time to head out on a mini-excursion today to see one of the sights in the surrounding region. So we're going down to "Colonia Point", some 2300 light years below Colonia on the galactic plane.

3i2Yfy8.png

Before setting off I pay a quick visit to Santos Dumont to check that the Trophy Dash jump to Garuda hasn't miraculously become unobscured (it hasn't) and then stop off at Harold's Respite in Sovereign's Reach to fit a research limpet controller (thought I might try to get somme tissue samples on the way back).

KfyDp0a.png

I also don't forget to pick up some limpets!

Then I plot the route down to Thaae Pruae AA-A h5. Considering the distance involved I'm pleased to see that it's only 16 jumps. This turns out to be because most of them are neutrons.

6cDw7AA.png

cVp37vm.png

20AlP00.png

After just a handful of 200+ ly jumps the stars are already thinning out dramatically and, as you can see in the following shot, at the halfway point the galactic plane is now clearly visible way above me.

ep4ekBh.png

Then it's more neutrons ..

SHY3A37.png

.. and, just before the end, a white dwarf whose FSD supercharge is necessary if I'm to make my next jump but whose exclusion zone is perilously close to the outer edges of its jet cone. I line up extremely cautiously ..

J2IPG5O.png

.. supercharge using the absolute outer fringes of its cone and then get the hell out of there to find myself now just one jump away from my destination. The vistas up down here are spectacular (and hard to do justice to in a photograph).

E16dgNO.png

Here's the view ahead as I prepare to make the final jump - my destination now one of the only stars in the sky.

bWYwxG2.png

Made it, Colonia Point ... 2,936 light years below the galactic plane.

FQtDpu6.png

It's an extraordinary system containing just two Wolf-Rayet stars and a view that leaves one feeling VERY small indeed.

pp0vpes.png

adBaXRT.png

I check my fuel gauge, two thirds of a tank. 🤔 Hmmm, I sure hope I can get back again! Especially since I don't have a neutron boost here to make that first jump!

Excellent journal entries, very well done Alec! You've seen and done more in Colonia than I probably will in the next 6 months lol. I think documenting your trip like this will help entice others to make the journey out to the region. There really is a lot to do and see and this reads like a good travel brochure for Colonia that you'd pick up in one of those seedy over used rest stop areas along the highway.
Also it was a pleasure meeting you (however brief..looking at you my ISP) and maybe we'll cross paths again before you head back to the bubble.
Good luck jumping out, holler if you need some fuel ;)

I think, for me, following your journal and enjoying the 'little jaunts' you're making to places of interest, just brings back my own first trip to Colonia, in a Krait II, with SRV's & SLF, but no Guardian stuff, just before 3.3 launched - then flying back to the bubble 'finding' all of the Geo I'd never found previously - and Bio & NSP's too!

WD's have cost me a few ships in the past, but l still love the 'challenge' presented by some - and still am seeking a couple of classes that may not even exist...

I think documenting your trip like this will help entice others to make the journey out to the region. There really is a lot to do and see ...
I really hope so. Whenever I post videos or screenshots or other stuff like this on the forum, more than anything else I just hope someone else will be inspired to try it themselves. I love this game with a passion and want others to see it the way I do, not as a tiresome grind towards arbitrary objectives, but as a virtual replica of our galaxy where we're free to do and see whatever happens to take our fancy. And this region is special ... even when I was just doing simple mission running the other day it felt like all the stations had been hand placed for added spectacle. There's hardly a mundane station out here as far as I can tell!
P.S. and yeah, thanks for the fuel offer ... I have some genuine concerns about where I can currently get back to from here.

I regret having left so soon now, not sure how you find your info about all these places you go too but its awesome.
Meanwhile on my voyage back to the bubble trying to get camera set up and Galaxy map bind a little better, manage to mess up my bindings for everything. Fun, fun but getting there.
Can't wait to see where you'll be going next.

And this region is special ... even when I was just doing simple mission running the other day it felt like all the stations had been hand placed for added spectacle. There's hardly a mundane station out here as far as I can tell!
This, definitely. Even the fairly routine orbital placements are in much closer orbits than the bubble has, for better views.

(There's also the history aspects, which don't come across just by looking, but which also help to make the place feel more 'real' than generic bits of the bubble)

P.S. and yeah, thanks for the fuel offer ... I have some genuine concerns about where I can currently get back to from here.
What's your range and Jumponium stocks like?

It's been a while since I was down there but I think there's a few ways out which should be easily reachable with a J1 or J2 boost with your 50+ base range.

Deleted member 182079

D
I really hope so. Whenever I post videos or screenshots or other stuff like this on the forum, more than anything else I just hope someone else will be inspired to try it themselves. I love this game with a passion and want others to see it the way I do, not as a tiresome grind towards arbitrary objectives, but as a virtual replica of our galaxy where we're free to do and see whatever happens to take our fancy. And this region is special ... even when I was just doing simple mission running the other day it felt like all the stations had been hand placed for added spectacle. There's hardly a mundane station out here as far as I can tell!
It worked for me so thanks for that(y)

It's probably the 5th or 6th time that I visit the nebula, but the difference is this time I brought my carrier, entire fleet and modules, and that makes a huge difference as I can partake in pretty much any activity I want to (during prior visits I was restricted by ships & modules for sale locally, and high ship transfer costs, so I left after a couple of weeks again back to the bubble).

It does feel more homely now, I've met the local friendly ganksters already and have a better idea (somewhat at least) of the who-is-who in terms of factions, so I have a bit more purpose in terms of running missions or engaging in other, undisclosed activities.

The fact I can change the engineering of my fleet at short notice (no tedious travelling around like in the bubble) is another major benefit, and the background is very pretty indeed.

Can't see myself leaving the region for a while still, at least not until something major happens with the Thargoids (the only thing that I miss from the Sol bubble/Pleiades).

Basically this forum thread. When I first decided to do this I created this thread, initially to gather suggestions of places to visit and things to do. Pretty much everything I've done so far has come from suggestions scattered across the first few pages and pulled together into post #1.
Something new has come up to look at, by the way: you should check out Experimental Habitat 4 - there'll be some passengers wanting a tourist trip. Go before next Thursday, if you can, and be thorough when you look around.

Something new has come up to look at, by the way: you should check out Experimental Habitat 4 - there'll be some passengers wanting a tourist trip. Go before next Thursday, if you can, and be thorough when you look around.
Hmmm...
Guess I may just do that too, it is a very pretty Habitat :cool:

Bloody hell, I'm so focused on seeing all the old stuff I'd completely missed these experimental habitats. That's next on the list then. Thanks for the tip-off!

Top Bottom