Hacker forum and what I learned

After further review, I think the worst that happens is a perma shadow ban.
That's actually the very best thing they can do. A shadowbanned cheater only affects other cheaters and may still generate income by buying stuff from the store. An unnoticed punishment like this is far better than any other punishment (account deletion, credit removal etc.).

Ahh, but this is where the responsibility of Google is now being called into question. It's a similar position to responsibility of search engines and facebook etc. for highlighting sites encouraging child molestation, suicides and such like.

Where does it begin, and where does it end? Should Google be highlighting a code hacking forum ? I suggest they could be sued.
Nonsense.

Shadowban doesn't prevent them from cheating, similarly to Solo.
As to progress - it is exactly the same in shadowban and on normal servers - you get credits, engineer reps, gather materials, pump your ships for... Nothing - both on normal server and in shadowban.
The only difference is that in shadowban you don't meet other players and don't influence BGS/PP.
You obviously don't know what shadowban means, otherwise you would've mentioned the inability to influence the BGS and PP. So the question is, why do you feel the need to share your ignorance about it?

So that suggests saying it was impossible was a lie, right?
Saying they said it's impossible is a lie, stop spreading false information please.
By the way, your post suggests that you don't really know what you are taking about. Analysis mode is an addition to the UI, why should it be affected by legacy code?! Everything that gets changed or replaced follows different rules than the stuff we couldn't change 4 years ago when Frontier said that adding HUD colour settings would require, well, changing things.

Last edited:
That's actually the very best thing they can do. A shadowbanned cheater only affects other cheaters and may still generate income by buying stuff from the store. An unnoticed punishment like this is far better than any other punishment (account deletion, credit removal etc.).
Imagine how weird it must be over in Cheater/Haxorz ED... ;)

I agree. Letting the cheaters play in single player mode with their hacks, without affecting the community and influencing the game, is a win win situation.
The next best thing would be allowing mods in solo/private groups.

As of 1 week ago (according to hacker forums):

2 days ago:

All caught up. The hacker devs have been quiet in the past few weeks. I didn't see anything in this forum about HUD improvements. Everyone is clamoring about in-game functionality. I'm surprised someone didn't ask for "Space Legs" its that ridiculous.

This particular quote fills me with optimism....these cmdrs either need to have their trainer made totally unuseable...or they need to be banned....end of.

No, it's a criminal offence, at least in my country.
Every program modifies values saved in your computer's RAM. It adds values, modifies them, and erases them. It's the core function of any program.
Criminal offense can only be charged if a program tampers with private user's data (passwords, usernames, intercepting packets from online servers or modiying packets before they are sent to servers or even spoofing these packets for private information).
You, as a game company, can take him to court, but its doubtful that any hacker will be criminally charged just by making a simple single-player trainer.

Every program modifies values saved in your computer's RAM. It adds values, modifies them, and erases them. It's the core function of any program.
Criminal offense can only be charged if a program tampers with private user's data (passwords, usernames, intercepting packets from online servers or modiying packets before they are sent to servers or even spoofing these packets for private information).
You, as a game company, can take him to court, but its doubtful that any hacker will be criminally charged just by making a simple single-player trainer.
No, for the law any modification of data in ways that aren't permitted is punishable, and EULA in its License Restrictions clearly forbids any modification of the Game.

If some of you read manga, you will find that there is a new trending history type among readers, Japanese and Coreans at the top;
The player nerd that suddenly finds himself in a fantasy world and some God from that world grants him a cheating skill, that places him above all others.
So these characters become "special" by breaking the rules. Young men and women seem to favor this, like cheating is some "god granted skill".
"Above all others" except those who have access to the same cheats? I guess there's something in the psychology of "arcane knowledge" that's been around since the year dot; it's possibly why many of us of a certain age found an affinity with early home computers when much of the world seemed terrified or dismissive of them. But I fear I may be too old and jaded to understand how this would apply to actively cheating in a multiplayer gaming environment unless it's about "getting one over on the developers" rather than providing a "god granted" advantage that has also been granted to unknown numbers of other players who are running the same scripts.
That's essentially the plot of The Matrix
morpheus.jpg

No, for the law any modification of data in ways that aren't permitted is punishable, and EULA in its License Restrictions clearly forbids any modification of the Game.
Like I said, good luck trying to implement that on court. We are talking about the user of the PC, by his own accord, using a hacker's program to change HIS OWN computer's data. All criminal charges require "Unauthorized use". So, only the game company can argue there, that the hack is in any way modifying the game data on the client's side. It will have to prove it on court.

Like I said, good luck trying to implement that on court. We are talking about the user of the PC, by his own accord, using a hacker's program to change HIS OWN computer's data. All criminally charges require "Unauthorized use". So, only the game company can argue there, that the hack is in any way modifying the game data on the client's side. It will have to prove it on court.
It's not your own data, you don't own the game or any part of it, including data. You bought only usage rights and the EULA defines in which ways you may and may not exercise your rights.

It's not your own data, you don't own the game or any part of it, including data. You bought only usage rights and the EULA defines in which ways you may and may not exercise your rights.
Breaches of that would generally be civil rather than criminal matters, though, and the extent to which EULA terms are enforcable are not settled law. Obtaining a judgement of any use versus someone based in another country would be impractical, especially due to the need to show actual damage to Frontier.

A stronger criminal case (under legislation like the UK's Computer Misuse Acts) would be that the modifications to the client app were causing unauthorised modifications to data held on Frontier's servers. Certainly in a literal sense this would probably be illegal. But in practical terms the steps needed to bring a case (probably including extradition and identification of the suspect) versus the actual damage done would likely mean the authorities wouldn't view it in the public interest to proceed.

Either way in practical terms the courts are not an effective or efficient way to deal with the problem.

Breaches of that would generally be civil rather than criminal matters, though, and the extent to which EULA terms are enforcable are not settled law. Obtaining a judgement of any use versus someone based in another country would be impractical, especially due to the need to show actual damage to Frontier.

A stronger criminal case (under legislation like the UK's Computer Misuse Acts) would be that the modifications to the client app were causing unauthorised modifications to data held on Frontier's servers. Certainly in a literal sense this would probably be illegal. But in practical terms the steps needed to bring a case (probably including extradition and identification of the suspect) versus the actual damage done would likely mean the authorities wouldn't view it in the public interest to proceed.

Either way in practical terms the courts are not an effective or efficient way to deal with the problem.
Thank you Sir. Sense and sensibility are always welcome.

After further review, I think the worst that happens is a perma shadow ban.

I think this is the only point Frontier should clarify.

Are banned players still able to influence BGS and name planets?

I found no evidence that a shadow ban exists. Only stories of people forced to solo and a vague citation from a dev about the concept of a shadow ban.

I think this is the only point Frontier should clarify.

Are banned players still able to influence BGS and name planets?

I found no evidence that a shadow ban exists. Only stories of people forced to solo and a vague citation from a dev about the concept of a shadow ban.
As I understand it, FD have implied (or directly stated somewhere) that a shadow-ban exists. Under a shadow-ban, those players are essentially in their own universe, playing with themselves, not affecting the BGS for us, etc.

Essentially, they've been shifted 90 degrees out of phase with the rest of the universe. Sort of like the original look and feel of The Phantom Zone* as shown in the older Superman comics; they're like ghosts. They can't interact with us and we don't even know they exist.

*If anyone is old enough to remember that version of the phantom zone from the 1950/1960's version of Superman comics.

As I understand it, FD have implied (or directly stated somewhere) that a shadow-ban exists. Under a shadow-ban, those players are essentially in their own universe, playing with themselves, not affecting the BGS for us, etc.

Essentially, they've been shifted 90 degrees out of phase with the rest of the universe. Sort of like the original look and feel of The Phantom Zone as shown in the older Superman comics; they're like ghosts. They can't interact with us and we don't even know they exist.

FDev just vaguely implied. This stuff should be clearly described and pinned as a FAQ, specially with the big spotlight and free publicity the trainer has at this moment. Ghost banned players is just urban legend IMO.

Top Bottom