How big is our VR Community

I always play in VR! Oculus Rift S. I agree that the space legs are in a big 2D screen right now, but I think that will be fixed in the future. Even NMS have full VR! why this one not?

2D is buried along side Tomy's 'Attack In Space'. Except maybe X4 Founda#£$%£$... nope, I can't - it just sucks. I tried so hard to get into X4 but 2D is just awful.

The only exception to VR being my one attempt at VorpX+Alien Isolation...
5B4fGim.gif
The same here, X4 is still in my wishlist until a VR version is released.

Didn't find confirmed information anywhere. So I hereby ask the devs: How big is the VR-Community in Elite Dangerous? Are you able to track that information? Just curious.

If not, I would like to see a poll or a possibilty to have a checkbox "VR-User" in the users profiles. I would like to know whether or not the VR thing is growing in ED.
The link below helped me a lot to improve the Graphics in VR, my Oculus was blurry when I started Odyssey and this fixed the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ngszgh Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ngszgh/for_anyone_with_awful_fps_after_getting_odyssey/

Just to add my name here - I bought a VR system to play ED

I tried Odyssey, on foot was totally unplayable for me (not just ugly, not playable). 10mins in to the game, I lost my 'conda in a simple battle due to the severe refresh chopiness. I went straight from the insurance buy-back screen to steam refund screen. My kit easily exceeds the rec spec so I had no choice imo

I'll buy it again no doubt, but that won't happen until they have on foot VR (and by that time the other VR issues I hope will be solved)

I also only play in VR. Every time I try to switch back to my monitor, I just have problems flying around because I can't easily look around and estimate distances. This applies to docking especially which is so much easier if you can look around with your VR headset on (yes I'm aware of things like Track IR, but that just feels like a bad alternative).

I don't mind the odyssey projection screen for on foot (a VR solution would be preferable ofcourse).

VR only here. I quit for a while in disgust over the lack of VR support in Odyssey. That said, I've sucked it up a bit and finally bought in (mainly because I was worried about my carrier maintenance, and figured why the Hell not at this point). The whole 2d floating screen thing is a no-go for me though. I'm thinking I'll just toggle 3D on and off in the settings and take my HMD off when I get off the ship.

These days Elite is the only game I break out my Rift S for, but in reverse fashion, VR is the (almost) only reason I play Elite these days. The two have become one. If one dies, so does the other.

Which makes me different that most of you who have sworn off ALL 2D games.. (Though if my rig could handle it, I would definitely prefer Flight Simulator in VR over 2D)

I have 5500 hours into Elite from way back being a Kickstarter . I gradually started to tire of Elite then along came the Oculus DK2 and the following VR tech and suddenly I had a reason to play Elite for ever!
Total Immersion and nothing else was required.
Odyssey has completely removed my Immersion and replaced it with a early abandoned player Mod from Half Life 1 with frames speeds from the dial up days.
Cartoon graphics for planets so I can't return to the immersion I had even if I wanted to avoid on foot.

Horizons is also badly effected now with poor loading times and the feeling that the game is in its death throws and that has completely taken the shine off it for me.
The squadron I am in is now mostly broken up and divided and I am currently left feeling that the Game abandoned me and not the other way around.
I cannot believe how much effort went into the DLC and this is the end result and the direction they chose to go and what they removed from the game.
I wish they had never gone down this road and had put more effort into fleshing out the existing game and if they wanted on foot and gunplay then I would have been satisfied with ship interiors and fighting off boarding Pirates or Thargoids on my ship.
I never thought I would be put into a position of not being allowed to play Elite.
Maybe in a few months I might be allowed to return but what will the immersion be like?
And just to kick me personally in the Goolies I was getting close to the top of the INARA leader board. Not that I intended to care about it to start with but as I got closer to the top it kind of became a habit to look at but now I am falling fast as I am not ranking in any of the new foot play, but that's hardly important but I thought I would vent it anyway.
Like some others I also only use my VR for Elite, so I might also will have to wait before I can play Microsoft Flight Sim with smooth frames on high settings in VR if Elite does not return to its former glory.
I do wonder if FD were trying to appeal to players who like retro gaming when they decided on Odyssey.

Fly Safe
CMDR Q!!!!

Last edited:
VR only for 12W of games, early backer beta tester and so on.
I still don't understand why a part of the gamer community want footleg ... Walking in our ships just to admire paints or carpets can be a good solution for FDev to make money with selling stuff to customise interior apprearence as they already do for ship or suit paintings. But I still don't dig what gameplay can be added except Counter Strike erzatz we have now ...
Well, why not, if some like it....

BUT (there is always a but ;) now playing VR is buggy, especially the exploring part : DSS almost unusable, ground glitches, some models only in one VR eye .... What a price for a peripheral add-on because I bet my carrier that footleg will be at like OpenPowerplay or CQC : played by a minority.

Well, I hope I mistaking :)

Fly safe CMDRs
Gambatte FDev for bug hunting

Im a very recent vr convert, I only got vr a week before Odyssey dropped. I bought it for Odyssey knowing full well the on-foot part isn't implemented but reasoned the new planetary tech justified it.. imagine my disgust when I found how it runs :cautious:

Wasnt sure was it my rig or headset that was causing the issues but having come to this section of the forums it appears to be the game thankfully. Hopefully they optimize it soon or whatever they need to do because I can't go back to flat screen after playing in Vr.

Iv got an Oculus quest 2 and my comp has Ryzen 7 3800xt with a Radeon 6700xt and Odyssey looks like rubbish atm

the measure would be hard to do ... do you count a user as VR user if they've ever played in Elite in VR? do you count by session? Do you count only the most recent session? etc.

I play Elite in VR in linux (can't be a large number of us :) ).

But i only play in VR when VR is fun and helpful (which is mostly dogfighting, racing around roids/canyons etc, (basically things that require piloting skills). For the vast majority of the gameplay, you benefit more from being able to jump to a different screen while the game is doing something boring or being able to watch tv etc.

So i do a lot of non-VR sessions - otherwise it would be incredibly boring.

So, not sure how that would be measured.. I'd do more VR if there was something worth being limited to just the game - you get over the whole seeing a star/planet in the proper scale and docking at a station thru the mail slot and all - fairly quick. That is - in horizons. Playing VR in odyssey is basically limited to ...less exciting environments if you can manage it at all.

At the moment, VR still has too many disadvantages for me, and the price is not even the main reason. I think this technology will need a few more years to be really appealing to me. Above all, it has to become smaller, lighter and more comfortable.
Have you even tried VR? The CV1 is perfectly comfortable.

They won't be getting any money from me until VR is properly sorted out. No way am I playing in pathetic 2D, this is the 3rd decade of the 21st century, not 1991!

Last edited:
Top Bottom