How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

Thank you both. Had a bit of a headache to start with as it was looking for my EdTracker but as I rarely use it anymore I removed it from my Win10 ED, copied the new bindings across to my Pop_OS installation and after a few simple adjustments, I now have it working fine :)
Just have a small graphic glitch with the galaxy map where you have to click a destination system off where it actually is, I bet this down to the Nvidia drivers Pop_OS uses. Still I'm a happy bunny!

If you cannot beat them, join them....

Microsoft News:

Microsoft's CEO, Satya Narayana Nadella, changed the company's direction after becoming CEO. His tenure has emphasized openness to working with companies and technologies with which Microsoft also competes, including Apple Inc., Salesforce, IBM, and Dropbox. In contrast to previous Microsoft campaigns against the Linux operating system, Nadella proclaimed that "Microsoft ❤'s Linux",and in 2016, Microsoft joined the Linux Foundation as a Platinum member.

If you cannot beat them, join them....

Microsoft News:

Microsoft's CEO, Satya Narayana Nadella, changed the company's direction after becoming CEO. His tenure has emphasized openness to working with companies and technologies with which Microsoft also competes, including Apple Inc., Salesforce, IBM, and Dropbox. In contrast to previous Microsoft campaigns against the Linux operating system, Nadella proclaimed that "Microsoft ❤'s Linux",and in 2016, Microsoft joined the Linux Foundation as a Platinum member.
Just sounds like Microsoft have started the Embrace phase of their famous Embrace, Extend, Extinguish strategy. Stay skeptical of all the things Microsoft do, I will be happy to eat my words if they prove me wrong.

Just sounds like Microsoft have started the Embrace phase of their famous Embrace, Extend, Extinguish strategy. Stay skeptical of all the things Microsoft do, I will be happy to eat my words if they prove me wrong.
I agree with that. But on the otherhand, parts of Linux are showing up in Windows 10.

The "AllJoyn Router Service" is clearly linux code. As well, improvements to the "Windows Sub-System for Linux" and of course, the Posix sub-system has always been there.

It's amazing how Linux and Windows fought for twenty years yet there is a Windows sub-system in Linux, i.e.proton, wine, and a Linux sub-system in Windows with ssh/bash capabilities. Granted, it may take another twenty years but eventually, the two OS's will be interchangable and in fifty years, may merge into one.

I agree with that. But on the otherhand, parts of Linux are showing up in Windows 10.

The "AllJoyn Router Service" is clearly linux code. As well, improvements to the "Windows Sub-System for Linux" and of course, the Posix sub-system has always been there.

It's amazing how Linux and Windows fought for twenty years yet there is a Windows sub-system in Linux, i.e.proton, wine, and a Linux sub-system in Windows with ssh/bash capabilities. Granted, it may take another twenty years but eventually, the two OS's will be interchangable and in fifty years, may merge into one.
Proton, wine are not windows subsystems in linux they are compatibility layers, very different things. The Linux subsystem for windows is just more examples of "embrace". As for windows and linux merging that will never happen. I will stop talking about this here as it is off topic.

Proton, wine are not windows subsystems in linux they are compatibility layers, very different things. The Linux subsystem for windows is just more examples of "embrace". As for windows and linux merging that will never happen. I will stop talking about this here as it is off topic.
Difference of opinion. But, yes, off-topic so I will move on as well.

Finally I became Triple Elite, Combat Elite being the last and what a bore it is to kill thousands of Thargoid Scouts to get the job done before growing senile.
It proved too much for the system that had been operating without flaw for weeks. When I opened the message board to read what a wonderful guy I am, having attained this status after only 1,5 years, an Olympic Record that without doubt leaves the lesser beings in awe for the rest of eternity, when my promotion to Elite status was displayed in a shining gold logo, the system froze...

Last edited:
Hey there. During the past half a year or so, performance of Elite on Steam has been consistently... declining for me. I can't exactly say was it due to NVidia driver updates, or Proton updates, or something else. One noticeable thing though - the compositor, Compton, which has now been renamed Picom, really messes the framerate up now, which it didn't use to do roughly 3 months ago. Without it - decently good 60-90 fps with high-ultra settings; as soon as picom is launched - 30 fps max and constant drops to almost freezing.
If anyone's been experiencing something even remotely similar or has suggestions, I'd gladly hear it

If you are using a compositor is it safe to assume you are using a window manager instead of one of the two big desktop environments? If so would it not be best to have a keyboard shortcut that can toggle the compositor off/on so you can toggle it before and after you game? When running a WM myself that is what I did as compositors can have a big impact on games.

Only steam performance is impacted?

Have you tested other gl/vk utilities or games or benchmarks outside of steam?
Only Elite is impacted so much by the compositor. Other games, both native and Wine/Proton with DXVK, are affected by it but still playable, even more so if I were to tone graphics down. Elite seems to stutter no matter what. Unaffected titles include Overwatch and Snowrunner in Lutris with lutris wine build; Dark Souls 3 and Rocket League in Steam with latest Proton. These being the most resource-intensive
If you are using a compositor is it safe to assume you are using a window manager instead of one of the two big desktop environments? If so would it not be best to have a keyboard shortcut that can toggle the compositor off/on so you can toggle it before and after you game? When running a WM myself that is what I did as compositors can have a big impact on games.
Yeah, that's my hopefully temporary solution for now. Using i3, got a script that toggles the compositor, linked to it in /usr/bin and just running it from there with dmenu. It's something /shrug

are you playing in full screen mode or windowed? If windowed, have you checked if full screen mode suffers the same impact from the compositor?

If it's the same whether you are fullscreen or windowed or if you're already fullscreen, then I'd think the compositor needs to go from your system. Either it's buggy or your graphics driver is but if you want to play games more than you want whatever compositor you're using...then it's time to look into one of the dozen alternative window managers (and with them compositors) to see if any of those behave better.

xfce is my goto ...but i dont use nvidia so I'm not sure what the current state of issues are with their drivers and xorg/wayland systems ...since they tend to use their own api's for things. changing windowing sysems may not completely alleviate issues if it's being caused by the graphics driver.

are you playing in full screen mode or windowed? If windowed, have you checked if full screen mode suffers the same impact from the compositor?
Hm, good point, I have not... will do!

If it's the same whether you are fullscreen or windowed or if you're already fullscreen, then I'd think the compositor needs to go from your system.
...eh? Removing sounds all too drastic when one can just enable or disable it perfectly fine /shrug

EDIT:
So, stable branch of Steam got an update that included Fossilize shader compiler thing. After that finished its work on Elite, I get literally no stuttering at all! Even with the compositor! Awesome, I'm a happy pilot

I've been running a dual boat machine for 4 years, just to play ED. Whilst building a new PC today, decided upon tring to get ED working on Fedora 32 and after spending most of the day attempting to get ED working, I've admitted defeat.
A huge shame, as I have to build my new machine as dual boot machine, just to play ED!

Its a pain. I tried standard wine and Lutris (wine seemed to have a loop bug with .Net 472 in there!).
Installed; dotnet472, corefonts, quartz, vcrun2017 dxvk

I got as far as the launcher firing up, but upon entering my email address and pressing enter, I wes thrown out with a COM error.
Unhandled Exception "Exception from HRESULT:0X88980406"

Before I blat my newly installed Fedora OS, anyone got any other ideas.
Note: I don't have ED via Steam, only the Frontier Store

I've been running a dual boat machine for 4 years, just to play ED. Whilst building a new PC today, decided upon tring to get ED working on Fedora 32 and after spending most of the day attempting to get ED working, I've admitted defeat.
A huge shame, as I have to build my new machine as dual boot machine, just to play ED!

Its a pain. I tried standard wine and Lutris (wine seemed to have a loop bug with .Net 472 in there!).
Installed; dotnet472, corefonts, quartz, vcrun2017 dxvk

I got as far as the launcher firing up, but upon entering my email address and pressing enter, I wes thrown out with a COM error.
Unhandled Exception "Exception from HRESULT:0X88980406"

Before I blat my newly installed Fedora OS, anyone got any other ideas.
Note: I don't have ED via Steam, only the Frontier Store
The Launcher will crash if your cursor enters the password field without corefonts installed. This sounds like what is happening. Maybe try installing corefonts again. Although it's possible there's a new bug in wine that's causing this. Which version are you using?

You could also try wine-staging (which doesn't need corefonts).

Also note you need to make sure to put win7 (or win10) at the end of your winetricks command.

This wiki has a bit more detail:

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I also had win7 in there.
the two commands I'm running are;
WINEPREFIX=~/ED_wine winetricks ie8 dotnet472 corefonts quartz vcrun2017 dxvk win7
WINEPREFIX=~/ED_wine wine "ED_wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Frontier/EDLaunch/EDLaunch.exe"

Launcher first up. When loging in to my account, I can type in both text boxes (email / password). However, the dialog will not accept the email address until enter is pressed in the email address field (if enter isn't pressed you just get a "This is a required field." message), and it is at this point the Exception from HRESULT:0X88980406 error is generated.

---------------------

0310:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"Application: EDLaunch.exe\nFramework Version: v4.0.30319\nDescription: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.\nException Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException\n at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE+Channel.SyncFlush()\n at System.Windows.Interop.Hwnd"...
0310:fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub

Unhandled Exception: 0310:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0031B320 00000000): stub
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x88980406
at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()

---------------------------

For the time being, I'm getting up a dual boot as I've a spare 240gb SSD I can throw Win10 on.

You can get the Steam key for your current account if you want it. I got it just to make it easier to play ED on Linux.
Wow, thanks for this heads-up. I've always run ED manually, what's the advantage on Linux of Steam?

@lonesheep74 , IME whenever I have had problems it's been due to some update reverting my wine to the platform version, which is too old. What do you get from:
$ wine --version
wine-5.10 (Staging)

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I also had win7 in there.
the two commands I'm running are;
WINEPREFIX=~/ED_wine winetricks ie8 dotnet472 corefonts quartz vcrun2017 dxvk win7
WINEPREFIX=~/ED_wine wine "ED_wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Frontier/EDLaunch/EDLaunch.exe"

Launcher first up. When loging in to my account, I can type in both text boxes (email / password). However, the dialog will not accept the email address until enter is pressed in the email address field (if enter isn't pressed you just get a "This is a required field." message), and it is at this point the Exception from HRESULT:0X88980406 error is generated.

---------------------

0310:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"Application: EDLaunch.exe\nFramework Version: v4.0.30319\nDescription: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.\nException Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException\n at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE+Channel.SyncFlush()\n at System.Windows.Interop.Hwnd"...
0310:fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub

Unhandled Exception: 0310:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0031B320 00000000): stub
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x88980406
at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()

---------------------------

For the time being, I'm getting up a dual boot as I've a spare 240gb SSD I can throw Win10 on.
Make sure you launch the game with wine64 (not wine). The launcher is a 32-bit dotnet application. Using wine will cause it to access the Wow6432 registry node (which is missing an entry required by the launcher).

So try:
WINEPREFIX=~/ED_wine wine64 "ED_wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Frontier/EDLaunch/EDLaunch.exe"

For Steam, I think it only needed dotnet472 to be installed with winetricks, and Proton handles the rest. If I recall correctly, first install ED, then launch ED and let it fail on first run, then install dotnet472 with winetricks (wineprefix for that is <your-steam-path>/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx), and now it should be ready to go. Sometimes when launching from Steam the ED launcher (which you still see with Steam too) might throw in a couple of errors or warnings that can be ignored.
Oh, and you need to create the directory for the logs yourself if you want to see those, or use something like EDMarketConnector that reads those logs. The logs are saved to
<your-steam-path>/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Saved Games/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/ so you need to create this path if it does not exist.

Not sure if it somehow helps VR users to be able to launch the game from Steam.

So, not many advantages if any at all, but I don't think you lose anything by getting the Steam key. You can still use the regular install you already have even if you do get the Steam key. Maybe even run your current account on Steam, and another account at the same time with the regular launcher, if you have multiple accounts. And if you find some use for this. (Have not tried this myself, just thinking it should work)

It's been long since the last time I had to install ED, so if someone sees something obvious missing or wrong, let us know.

Top Bottom