How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

Only difference to when it worked should be elite's 3.05 update. Wine is 4.3 staging on ubuntu 18.10.

I've tried 4.3 in lutris (not pushed to Manjaro yet) and I didn't have any of those issues.

Without knowing how you set up your prefix I suggest probably starting a new one from scratch in case you've inadvertently changed something, using the instructions on the wiki:

https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki/Wine#set-up-wine-prefix

If that still doesn't work post an output log here.

I've found another graphical issue that I'd like people to test, putting Bloom up to Ultra can cause these squares to appear on screen in some situations. This is in an Ice ring while using a mining laser, I've also seen this issue at some lava spouts & on the exit light at stations.

Red square at 0:15:

[video=youtube;DSV0a7lbH2M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSV0a7lbH2M[/video]

Good evening,

I am running Linux Mint (Linux <HOSTNAME> 4.15.0-46-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 6 09:33:07 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
I followed the instructions from https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki/Wine and end up with the following error when executing "WINEPREFIX=<prefix_loc> winetricks dotnet40 vcrun2015 corefonts dxvk win7"

"dotnet40 install completed, but installed file /home/<username>/.local/share/wineprefixes/ed_test/dosdevices/c:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/ngen.exe not found"

The same error occurs when I try to install only dotnet40 into the default winprefix via the winetricks GUI.
From what I learned this might be some issue with the architecture of the wineprefix (64bit) and the architecture of dotnet40 (not fully 64 bit supported).
I suppose it might install inside an 32bit wineprefix, but afaik ED needs 64bit, so have not put any further research in this.

The winetricks version from the ubuntu repository seems to be outdated, so I got myself WINETRICKS_VERSION=20190310-next.
I spent two evenings with installing and purging again different versions of wine, libwine, wine64, wine32, winehq (stable/staging/devel) and so on, encountering all sorts of funny errors and ultimately getting stuck with the error above again.
I also tried with the specific wine-devel-amd64_4.2~bionic_amd64.deb installed.

I have got the game standalone (not via Steam), does Proton work in this case?
PLZ HALP [cry]
Benji

"dotnet40 install completed, but installed file /home/<username>/.local/share/wineprefixes/ed_test/dosdevices/c:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/ngen.exe not found"

The same error occurs when I try to install only dotnet40 into the default winprefix via the winetricks GUI.

I've never seen that error before, but have you tried just running the dotnet40 install file (i.e. manually, without winetricks)? You'll find it under ~/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40.

Just make sure wine-mono is not installed. You can check with wine64 uninstaller.

I've never seen that error before, but have you tried just running the dotnet40 install file (i.e. manually, without winetricks)? You'll find it under ~/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40.

Just make sure wine-mono is not installed. You can check with wine64 uninstaller.

Hi RedMcG,

"wine /home/<username>/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40/dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe" does nothing at all. I think it starts something, the exe crashes and the error is not captured.
On the other hand "wine '/home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Windows NT/Accessories/wordpad.exe'" at least opens the worpad

Here is what happens when I launch the WINEPREFIX:
WINEPREFIX=/home/<username>/.cache/test/ /home/<username>/Downloads/winetricks dotnet40 vcrun2015 corefonts dxvk win7
------------------------------------------------------
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Using winetricks 20190310-next - sha256sum: 4a7edd5103acc2fdfa7d7685270fc054eef9d7c579341df5ea53fe9ba992eece with wine-3.6 (Ubuntu 3.6-1) and WINEARCH=win64
Executing w_do_call dotnet40
Executing load_dotnet40
This package (dotnet40) may not fully work on a 64-bit installation. 32-bit prefixes may work better.
dotnet40 does not yet fully work or install on wine. Caveat emptor.
Working around wine bug 42701
On 64-bit, you'll run into https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42701 (missing api-ms-win-core-winrt-roparameterizediid-l1-1-0.dll.RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID
Executing w_do_call remove_mono
Executing load_remove_mono
Mono does not appear to be installed.
Executing w_do_call winxp
Executing load_winxp
The operation completed successfully
Setting Windows version to winxp
Executing wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg
Executing wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg
Running /usr/bin/wineserver -w. This will hang until all wine processes in prefix=/home/<username>/.cache/test/ terminate
Executing cd /home/<username>/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40
Using native override for following DLLs: mscoree
Executing wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet40\override-dll.reg
Executing wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet40\override-dll.reg
Executing wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet40\set-winver.reg
Executing wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet40\set-winver.reg
Running /usr/bin/wineserver -w. This will hang until all wine processes in prefix=/home/<username>/.cache/test/ terminate
dotnet40 install completed, but installed file /home/<username>/.cache/test//dosdevices/c:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/ngen.exe not found

I also noticed that dpkg -S *wineserver* does not deliver results with only "wine-devel-amd64_4.2~bionic_amd64.deb" installed.
I tinkered around a bit and now I have this:
dpkg -l | grep wine
ii libwine-development:amd64 3.6-1 amd64 Windows API implementation - library
ii libwine-development:i386 3.6-1 i386 Windows API implementation - library
ii wine-devel 4.3~bionic amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-devel-amd64 4.3~bionic amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-devel-i386:i386 4.3~bionic i386 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-development 3.6-1 all Windows API implementation - standard suite
ii wine32-development:i386 3.6-1 i386 Windows API implementation - 32-bit binary loader
ii wine64-development 3.6-1 amd64 Windows API implementation - 64-bit binary loader
ii winetricks 0.0+20180217-1 all package manager for Wine to install software easily

dpkg -S *wineserver*
wine-development: /usr/bin/wineserver-development
wine-devel: /opt/wine-devel/share/man/man1/wineserver.1
wine-development: /usr/share/man/de/man1/wineserver-development.1.gz
wine-devel: /opt/wine-devel/share/man/fr.UTF-8/man1/wineserver.1
wine-devel: /opt/wine-devel/bin/wineserver
wine-devel: /opt/wine-devel/share/man/de.UTF-8/man1/wineserver.1
wine-development: /usr/share/man/man1/wineserver-development.1.gz
wine32-development:i386: /usr/lib/wine-development/wineserver32
wine-development: /usr/share/man/fr/man1/wineserver-development.1.gz
wine-development: /usr/lib/wine-development/wineserver
wine64-development: /usr/lib/wine-development/wineserver64
It seems I had to get the older winetricks (and its dependencies) from the repository to get the wineserver and now it is a mess again :eek:
Also notice despite that I run the up-to-date winetricks sh from my downloads folder.

I might also add: I am not so familiar with Linux, so I dont have any daily routine (yet) handling more complex stuff.
But I learned very much the last few days...

Regards
Benji

EDIT:
I just noticed, that I still have remainders of mono on my system. Can you tell whether this is relevant? Because I cannot remove "ubuntu-mono"
dpkg -l | grep mono
rc ca-certificates-mono 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 all Common CA certificates (Mono keystore)
ii fonts-noto-mono 20171026-2 all "No Tofu" monospaced font family with large Unicode coverage
ii fonts-tlwg-mono 1:0.6.4-2 all Thai TlwgMono font (dependency package)
ii fonts-tlwg-mono-ttf 1:0.6.4-2 all Thai TlwgMono TrueType font
rc libmono-profiler 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 amd64 Mono profiler libraries
ii ubuntu-mono 16.10+18.04.20181005-0ubuntu1 all Ubuntu Mono Icon theme

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-mono
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
libgtk-3-0 : Depends: adwaita-icon-theme
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Last edited:
Here is what happens when I launch the WINEPREFIX:
WINEPREFIX=/home/<username>/.cache/test/ /home/<username>/Downloads/winetricks dotnet40 vcrun2015 corefonts dxvk win7
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Using winetricks 20190310-next - sha256sum: 4a7edd5103acc2fdfa7d7685270fc054eef9d7c579341df5ea53fe9ba992eece with wine-3.6 (Ubuntu 3.6-1) and WINEARCH=win64
Executing w_do_call dotnet40
Executing load_dotnet40
This package (dotnet40) may not fully work on a 64-bit installation. 32-bit prefixes may work better.
dotnet40 does not yet fully work or install on wine. Caveat emptor.
Working around wine bug 42701
On 64-bit, you'll run into https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42701 (missing api-ms-win-core-winrt-roparameterizediid-l1-1-0.dll.RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID
Executing w_do_call remove_mono
Executing load_remove_mono
Mono does not appear to be installed.
Executing w_do_call winxp
Executing load_winxp
Executing wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg
Executing wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_winxp\set-winver.reg
Executing cd /home/<username>/.cache/winetricks/dotnet40
Using native override for following DLLs: mscoree
Executing wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet40\override-dll.reg
Executing wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet40\override-dll.reg
Executing wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet40\set-winver.reg
Executing wine64 regedit C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet40\set-winver.reg
dotnet40 install completed, but installed file /home/<username>/.cache/test//dosdevices/c:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/ngen.exe not found

From this I can see winetricks is the correct version, but your wine version is not:
Code:

It's using wine-3.6, which I can see from this:
I also noticed that dpkg -S *wineserver* does not deliver results with only "wine-devel-amd64_4.2~bionic_amd64.deb" installed.
I tinkered around a bit and now I have this:
dpkg -l | grep wine
ii libwine-development:amd64 3.6-1 amd64 Windows API implementation - library
ii libwine-development:i386 3.6-1 i386 Windows API implementation - library
ii wine-devel 4.3~bionic amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-devel-amd64 4.3~bionic amd64 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-devel-i386:i386 4.3~bionic i386 WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii wine-development 3.6-1 all Windows API implementation - standard suite
ii wine32-development:i386 3.6-1 i386 Windows API implementation - 32-bit binary loader
ii wine64-development 3.6-1 amd64 Windows API implementation - 64-bit binary loader
ii winetricks 0.0+20180217-1 all package manager for Wine to install software easily

dpkg -S *wineserver*
wine-development: /usr/bin/wineserver-development
wine-devel: /opt/wine-devel/share/man/man1/wineserver.1
wine-development: /usr/share/man/de/man1/wineserver-development.1.gz
wine-devel: /opt/wine-devel/share/man/fr.UTF-8/man1/wineserver.1
wine-devel: /opt/wine-devel/bin/wineserver
wine-devel: /opt/wine-devel/share/man/de.UTF-8/man1/wineserver.1
wine-development: /usr/share/man/man1/wineserver-development.1.gz
wine32-development:i386: /usr/lib/wine-development/wineserver32
wine-development: /usr/share/man/fr/man1/wineserver-development.1.gz
wine-development: /usr/lib/wine-development/wineserver
wine64-development: /usr/lib/wine-development/wineserver64

is coming from the package:
Code:
wine-development                           3.6-1

I would uninstall that package.

It seems I had to get the older winetricks (and its dependencies) from the repository to get the wineserver and now it is a mess again :eek:
Also notice despite that I run the up-to-date winetricks sh from my downloads folder.

I might also add: I am not so familiar with Linux, so I dont have any daily routine (yet) handling more complex stuff.
But I learned very much the last few days...

Regards
Benji

It does seem your packages are a bit of a mess. Usually you don't install a .deb, you let your package manager install and manage your software. I would run the following:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-devel

That will allow your package manage to get and update to the latest version of wine released by winehq.

EDIT:
I just noticed, that I still have remainders of mono on my system. Can you tell whether this is relevant? Because I cannot remove "ubuntu-mono"
dpkg -l | grep mono
rc ca-certificates-mono 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 all Common CA certificates (Mono keystore)
ii fonts-noto-mono 20171026-2 all "No Tofu" monospaced font family with large Unicode coverage
ii fonts-tlwg-mono 1:0.6.4-2 all Thai TlwgMono font (dependency package)
ii fonts-tlwg-mono-ttf 1:0.6.4-2 all Thai TlwgMono TrueType font
rc libmono-profiler 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1ubuntu1 amd64 Mono profiler libraries
ii ubuntu-mono 16.10+18.04.20181005-0ubuntu1 all Ubuntu Mono Icon theme

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-mono
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
libgtk-3-0 : Depends: adwaita-icon-theme
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

ubuntu-mono is the linux variant of mono. When I say wine-mono, I mean the variant of mono that runs under wine. The wine variant won't show up in your package manager (only with `wine64 uninstaller` ran against the appropriate wine prefix).

Thanks for all the information!!
Currently I am busy with a clean Mint-installation (I managed to kill my system while manually installing a graphics-driver :O), as soon everything is settled I will try ED again!

UPDATE: This is how far I got, I hope this may be of help for other linux-newbies:

first remove mono, get everything for wine and also cabextract (seems to be needed during creation of the WINEPREFIX), then initialize the WINEPREFIX
Code:
sudo apt-get remove mono-runtime-common
sudo apt-get purge mono-runtime-common

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install winehq-devel
sudo apt-get install cabextract

WINEPREFIX=/home/<username>/Software/winetricks_ED /home/<username>/Software/winetricks dotnet40 vcrun2015 corefonts dxvk win7

the last line...
...wanted to install mono -> declined
...wanted to install Wine Gecko -> accepted

some obscure errors later I ran the line again:
Code:
WINEPREFIX=/home/<username>/Software/winetricks_ED /home/<username>/Software/winetricks dotnet40 vcrun2015 corefonts dxvk win7

the dotnet40 installation (and everything else) seems to be successful.
I noticed the mouse did only get captured for clicking the first checkbox in the corresponding installer.
The keyboard worked though.

I have ED already installed on my Windows-partition, so I tried to run from there:
Code:
cd '/media/<username>/9E28DFE828DFBD89/Program Files (x86)/Frontier/EDLaunch/'
WINEPREFIX=/home/<username>/Software/winetricks_ED wine64 EDLaunch.exe /novr
The launcher is running (yay!), but apart from that nothing seems to be working (no buttons to click, the login window is there but only a black rectangle, links in the launcher don't respond either)
I will come back to this tomorrow. I think I have seen the errors I have somewhere in this thread or somewhere else on the internet.
I guess I will try to do a fresh ED installation inside the WINEPREFIX first.

Last edited:
Has anyone found a fix to the random keyboard/mouse/controller issue with Proton and wine? It takes on average 10 tries before I can play, and if I try to go in the options and configure the controls, then the keyboard and mouse drop out.

Antergos Linux Kernel 5.0.2
Steam (latest) with redmcg's fix for ED.
Wine Staging 4.2-1

Will

The launcher is running (yay!), but apart from that nothing seems to be working (no buttons to click, the login window is there but only a black rectangle, links in the launcher don't respond either)
I will come back to this tomorrow. I think I have seen the errors I have somewhere in this thread or somewhere else on the internet.
The next command might give you a window that contains more than a black rectangle:

EDLaunch.exe EDLaunch.exe /novr /steam

Last edited:
Has anyone found a fix to the random keyboard/mouse/controller issue with Proton and wine? It takes on average 10 tries before I can play, and if I try to go in the options and configure the controls, then the keyboard and mouse drop out.

Antergos Linux Kernel 5.0.2
Steam (latest) with redmcg's fix for ED.
Wine Staging 4.2-1

Will

Unfortunately no. but if you can capture and provide a log with:
Code:
WINEDEBUG=timestamp,pid,tid,seh,debugstr,module,plugplay,xinput,dinput

hopefully that will highlight something. I haven't been able to capture a log as I get it infrequently, and when I do, a single restart is usually enough.

Thanks for all the information!!
This is how far I got, I hope this may be of help for other linux-newbies:

first remove mono
Code:
sudo apt-get remove mono-runtime-common
sudo apt-get purge mono-runtime-common

That's the linux variant of mono (for running mono apps on linux) - it's safe to keep this.

I have ED already installed on my Windows-partition, so I tried to run from there:
Code:
cd '/media/<username>/9E28DFE828DFBD89/Program Files (x86)/Frontier/EDLaunch/'
WINEPREFIX=/home/<username>/Software/winetricks_ED wine64 EDLaunch.exe /novr
[/spoiler]

It should run fine from your Windows install (I tired and it worked for me). As EdVaessen pointed out - some graphical glitches on the launcher can be resolved by using the '/steam' argument - i.e. launch with:
Code:
wine64 EDLaunch /novr /steam

Last edited:
IIRC, the "random keyboard/mouse/controller" might not completely be a wine issue, it started with the release of 3.3..

No but it's exacerbated in Wine, deleting premade .binds in the Control Schemes folder (in main game directory) and starting from an blank preset helps though.

I haven't had the issue since.

I've been saving mine while the game was off. Deleted it. Then refreshed with a backup. Possibly after the game was up once. This helps until an update or something weird brings it back. It saves having to manually redo all the shortcuts.

No but it's exacerbated in Wine, deleting premade .binds in the Control Schemes folder (in main game directory) and starting from an blank preset helps though.

I haven't had the issue since.
With ' blank preset' you mean that you have completely emptied your Control Schemes folder and it remained empty after that? Control Schemes folder being:

/home/<username>/Steam/steamapps/common/Elite Dangerous/Products/elite-dangerous-64/ControlSchemes

What content do you have in your bindings folder /home/<username>/ed-wine/drive_c/users/<username>/Local Settings/Application Data/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/Options/Bindings ?

I've been saving mine while the game was off. Deleted it. Then refreshed with a backup. Possibly after the game was up once. This helps until an update or something weird brings it back. It saves having to manually redo all the shortcuts.
Not sure if I understand this right.
It is about the Control Schemes folder?
Why did you save it at all, if your refreshed it with a backup?
You write 'possibly after the game was up once'. Was that during the game was running? Or was it after a game had been working all right and you had ended it?

Top Bottom