How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

Just as a PSA. wine-staging-4.11 on my Arch Linux installation seems to have broken the ED Launcher. The game selection menu/PLAY section did not appear.

After downgrading back to wine-staging-4.10, the launcher behaves as expected. I have no idea what in *4.11 was breaking and I don't have the time to investigate. Just thought I'd mention it to others here just in case.

Rgds. o7

I just tried wine-staging-4.11 on my Ubuntu installation and it worked fine.

Just a stab in the dark - but I think I've seen the "menu/PLAY section did not appear" issue previously when ED failed to close down (i.e. the process was still running in the background) - could that have been the cause?

Just a stab in the dark - but I think I've seen the "menu/PLAY section did not appear" issue previously when ED failed to close down (i.e. the process was still running in the background) - could that have been the cause?

I'll give it another go tomorrow. I hadn't run ED prior to updating to 4.11, so I don't think that was it.

Rgds. o7

Okay so just tried it again. After a reboot, upgraded to wine-staging-4.11 on Arch Linux.
set to my usual ED prefix
start the ED launcher as usual with wine64

The game select/PLAY section does not appear.

Here's the last few entries of the wine debug output (default output):
Code:
0009:fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentLength (000000001E4EF500)->(000000000024D1E8)
0009:fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
0009:fixme:path:parse_url failed to parse L"System.Management"
0009:fixme:path:parse_url failed to parse L"System.Configuration.Install"
0009:fixme:path:parse_url failed to parse L"Microsoft.JScript"
0031:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Setting multithreaded command stream to 0.
0009:fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_IsNoCacheResponse (000000001E4F5C10)->(000000000024D23F)
0009:fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentLength (000000001E4F5C10)->(000000000024D1E8)
0009:fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_IsNoCacheResponse (000000001E7A8620)->(000000000024D23F)
0009:fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_GetContentLength (000000001E7A8620)->(000000000024D1E8)

That last line :

Code:

Is being spammed continuously. Won't stop unless I ctrl-c in the console window. Wondering if it's some sort of b0rked DLL in the prefix. I'll try creating a new prefix and report back.

Okay set up a new prefix, installed the launcher, and the same problem occurs. Couldn't log in because that last section is not dissplaying. Weirdly enough I could click where I knew the LOGIN button would be and a black rectangle the size of the login dialog appeared, but without the dialog's input widgets or text. So, something's amiss. Possibly how the wine-staging-4.11 package has been built on Arch, seeing as how it works on Ubuntu? Who knows.
Ach well. ED works perfectly fine for me on wine-staging-4.10 on Arch, so I'll revert to that for now and maybe when 4.12 is released it'll be fixed.

Rgds o7

Okay set up a new prefix, installed the launcher, and the same problem occurs. Couldn't log in because that last section is not dissplaying. Weirdly enough I could click where I knew the LOGIN button would be and a black rectangle the size of the login dialog appeared, but without the dialog's input widgets or text. So, something's amiss. Possibly how the wine-staging-4.11 package has been built on Arch, seeing as how it works on Ubuntu? Who knows.
Ach well. ED works perfectly fine for me on wine-staging-4.10 on Arch, so I'll revert to that for now and maybe when 4.12 is released it'll be fixed.

Rgds o7

The good news for me is that wine-staging 4.12 appeared for Arch and it runs the ED launcher (and game) just fine. :)

This has nothing to do with using (or not using) the option '/steam' in the command line?

Question for the First Poster: Is there any reason not to just mention that proton (4.2-9) and protontricks is everything you need to get E: D working now?

I literally "installed E: D" using steam, then ran

Code:
protontricks 359320 dotnet40
protontricks 359320 win7

And the game works flawlessly.

Question for the First Poster: Is there any reason not to just mention that proton (4.2-9) and protontricks is everything you need to get E: D working now?

Code:
protontricks 359320 win7

This is what I don't get.
Is this a root or user cmd.
Does it matter from which folder you run the cmd.

This is what I don't get.
Is this a root or user cmd.
Does it matter from which folder you run the cmd.

Run as a regular user (same that has the steam account), run it anywhere. Protontricks will query the user's steam installation, and identify the steam game folder, then runs winetricks on the proton "HOME". You can literally run that from the home dir, as long as the user you're running as has a steam install, with E: D installed in steam.

Code:
protontricks 359320 win7

That's an excellent question. Have an updoot.

My personal answer is: I didn't purchase ED on Steam ;)

Rgds o7

For the Radeon users, Elite runs great on Valve's new ACO shader compiler.

I saw the performance gap go from 15% down to 5% from native Windows performance.

If you're on Arch or Ubuntu (or distro's derived from either) go give ACO a shot, so far it seems to work great.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this woman that is constantly reading the galactic news?
She suddenly started and I do not know why she did.

Edit: she stopped. Got probably bored of herself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom