How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

HTC Vive and Linux user reporting in, working fine in VR here! I'm not sure if I'm getting the full performance compared to Win7, but I don't really wanna boot into Win7 to compare.

One odd thing is that "VR Ultra" appears to have higher framerate than "VR Low". Not sure what's up with that.

For AMD Linux users, I strongly recommend grabbing Radeon Profile and set mode to "High" while playing. (Also add a custom fan curve, the default is rubbish and lets the GPU overheat too easily.) ACO is pretty good too. And don't forget to grab Feral's gamemode to tune the kernel for performance while playing.

There's a kernel patch coming up that's supposed to focus CPU use on a few cores instead of spreading it out, allowing sustained use of boost frequencies. That might turn out to be a boon for games, especially on multicore systems like Ryzen.

There's a kernel patch coming up that's supposed to focus CPU use on a few cores instead of spreading it out, allowing sustained use of boost frequencies. That might turn out to be a boon for games, especially on multicore systems like Ryzen.

That sounds pretty nifty.

I can only imagine it must have been a fair few bottles of wine consumed to come up with the idea to install Elite on Linux...

I didn't install it on linux but just ran it from xubuntu using wine dev directly from the windows SSD. Works really well surprisingly albeit some framerate drops but for day to day trading its fine. Combat probably not.

pretty sure that's the first report of Elite+VR working under Linux that I've seen! Bravo!
Honestly, getting it running was fairly easy. Far as I can tell, if you can get Elite running under Linux with Proton (there's a few manual steps involved, but nothing complicated, you can look them up on protondb), you can play it in VR as well. The fiddly parts are optimizing performance with ACO, gamemode and radeon-profile.

Hopefully we'll get Vulkan or DX12 sometime soon, so graphics translation stops being a bottleneck.

Proton 4.11 and fsync looks very interesting. Has anyone tried it here yet? I would be interested in results. I may build a debian kernel with the fsync patch, just to see what happens.

Update: looks like Proton 4.11 runs everything just fine and dandy so far. Haven't tried fsync yet because it needs a special new kernel patch, but will probably experiment this weekend.

The latest release of EDMC installs and runs under Wine.

That is nice... but... how?

I got it to install ("env WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx wine explorer", navigating to the .msi and starting it from there), and can now run it with that WINEPREFIX ("env WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx wine "C:/Program Files (x86)/EDMarketConnector/EDMarketConnector.exe").

I get two requesters ("rundll32.exe - .NET Framework Initialization. Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application.") (I did install dotnet40, obviously, since Elite itself runs without a hitch.) Then the EDMC window appears.

But when I then start Elite, it blocks (before the loader window appears) until I close the EDMC window first. (Which gets me two more .NET error requesters, and then eventually the Elite loader -- without EDMC though.)

If I try it the other way around -- first starting the Elite launcher, then EDMC -- I get a "wine client error:0: version mismatch 584/588" / "Your wineserver binary was not upgraded correctly or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH." (Obviously the system Wine and the Steam wine aren't the same version.)

I am pretty sure whatever I am missing is obvious (and that I just made an utter fool of myself), but could you perhaps point it out for the not-so-Wine-savvy among us?

Last edited:
That is nice... but... how?

I got it to install ("env WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx wine explorer", navigating to the .msi and starting it from there), and can now run it with that WINEPREFIX ("env WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx wine "C:/Program Files (x86)/EDMarketConnector/EDMarketConnector.exe").

I get two requesters ("rundll32.exe - .NET Framework Initialization. Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application.") (I did install dotnet40, obviously, since Elite itself runs without a hitch.) Then the EDMC window appears.

But when I then start Elite, it blocks (before the loader window appears) until I close the EDMC window first. (Which gets me two more .NET error requesters, and then eventually the Elite loader -- without EDMC though.)

If I try it the other way around -- first starting the Elite launcher, then EDMC -- I get a "wine client error:0: version mismatch 584/588" / "Your wineserver binary was not upgraded correctly or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH." (Obviously the system Wine and the Steam wine aren't the same version.)

I am pretty sure whatever I am missing is obvious (and that I just made an utter fool of myself), but could you perhaps point it out for the not-so-Wine-savvy among us?

I run ED:MC from source, natively in Linux, no Wine needed.Use EDMC's "from source" instructions, make sure you have the right Linux libraries installed, and EDMC will run natively for you. You can run it from the commandline, or, add a menu entry to KDE or Gnome. Unfortunately, EDMC doesn't add menu entries on its own, as it's like a portable app, it doesn't have a Linux installer yet. There's also quite a few hoops to getting it pointed at the right directory to read the journal files.

EDIT:
Here are the hoops to go through to get the journal directory working, as described in this forum post.
You have to create the directory manually, and then Elite will start storing the journal files correctly. You'll have to manually configure ED:MC to point to this directory as well. E.g. "file->settings->configuration->E: D journal file location" and then you go through the hassle of pointing to the prefix directory like in the link above.

Running under Linux isn't easy, there's a lot of hassle to get it running. For the tech savvy, however, it's extremely rewarding.

Last edited:
Running under Linux isn't easy, there's a lot of hassle to get it running.

Actually, it's quite easy. Not quite as easy as on Windows, but easy enough.

https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki/Wine has been mentioned multiple times already, and it does work. The important thing here is to use winetricks 20190615-next or higher; the earlier versions currently shipped with most Linux distros seem to do their thing, but Elite won't run. The wiki has links on how to update your winetricks.

Using the up-to-date winetricks, do the dotnet40 / win7 thing as described in the wiki (using WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx). For me, winetricks dotnet40 win7 was all it took. Fire up Elite Dangerous on SteamPlay (using the latest Proton of course), and you're set.

As for ED:MC, follow the "
Running from source" instructions as that's really the easiest way to get it running -- sudo apt-get install python-iniparse python-requests python-tk git followed by git clone https://github.com/Marginal/EDMarketConnector.git ~/.edmc or whereever you want to install it).

Then, manually set up the journal directory:

mkdir -p ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Saved\ Games/Frontier\ Developments/Elite\ Dangerous

Add a link to your desktop that runs ~/.edmc/EDMarketConnector.py and you're good. (Check in the ED:MC configuration that it's pointing at the journal directory.)

I raised an issue with the author of ED:MC that the "Running from source" / directory setup part should really be a part of ED:MC's Installation & Setup documentation for Linux, but that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:
Actually, it's quite easy. Not quite as easy as on Windows, but easy enough.

https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki/Wine has been mentioned multiple times already, and it does work. The important thing here is to use winetricks 20190615-next or higher; the earlier versions currently shipped with most Linux distros seem to do their thing, but Elite won't run. The wiki has links on how to update your winetricks.

Using the up-to-date winetricks, do the dotnet40 / win7 thing as described in the wiki (using WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx). For me, winetricks dotnet40 win7 was all it took. Fire up Elite Dangerous on SteamPlay (using the latest Proton of course), and you're set.

As for ED:MC, follow the "
Running from source" instructions as that's really the easiest way to get it running -- sudo apt-get install python-iniparse python-requests python-tk git followed by git clone https://github.com/Marginal/EDMarketConnector.git ~/.edmc or whereever you want to install it).

Then, manually set up the journal directory:

mkdir -p ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/359320/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Saved\ Games/Frontier\ Developments/Elite\ Dangerous

Add a link to your desktop that runs ~/.edmc/EDMarketConnector.py and you're good. (Check in the ED:MC configuration that it's pointing at the journal directory.)

I raised an issue with the author of ED:MC that the "Running from source" / directory setup part should really be a part of ED:MC's Installation & Setup documentation for Linux, but that hasn't happened yet.

To you and I, it's easy. For people who want to click "play" and watch it go, it's a hassle. As for EDMC, I went through the process of creating a desktop menu entry, it points right to the icon, looks great, and it scales with Gnome on 4k screens. If you're on Manjaro, some of the python packages come installed already depending on the spin you use. For Manjaro Gnome the only python package I had to install was ini parse. Nothing from the AUR is needed anymore.

For the people who don't mind a small amount of copypasta, E: D sure runs great under Linux on both AMD and nVidia GPU's! Now if Frontier was working on a Vulkan rasterizer for Cobra....... ;)

[Edit]
The author has already modified the documentation with a handy copy pasta just for EDMC, that's awesome!

For the first time in months, I experience (after having played for some time) a severe frame rate drop when entering orbital stations. Goes down to 30fps. Movements get choppy. Not really a nuisance, but still...
I never changed the graphical settings. Had no reason to do so. They were fine and all movements were smooth.
When this frame rate drop occurs, I see (using Green with Envy) that GPU% is next to 100% and the GPU memory is used to the full.
I use OpenSusE Leap 15.1 and installed the driver 'the hard way'.
Latest driver.
My GPU is the Nvidia 1060 3Gb.

I was about to write that the problem did not show when playing ED from Ubuntu 19.04 on the same PC (have been playing for at least two hours), when I saw a drop in fps too. While writing, it went down from 60Hz (refresh rate setting) to 49Hz. Vertical Sync is on.
It is an independent installation of ED on the same hardware.
So it looks as if the latest driver from Nvidia (430.40) is causing the problem as it is installed both on OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 and Ubuntu 19.04.
Or it is the hardware.

Hi there, I'm trying to install the game in steam on Archlinux, I tried a lot of winetricks combinations given in this thread, on protondb, on wine's appdb, on redmcg's wiki, and I keep getting the following error when I try to launch the game "Exception initialising application: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.". Nothing lauches, not even a window, just this error message in a pop-up.

Has anybody run into this error and found a way to launch the game on recent archlinux?

Hi there, I'm trying to install the game in steam on Archlinux, I tried a lot of winetricks combinations given in this thread, on protondb, on wine's appdb, on redmcg's wiki, and I keep getting the following error when I try to launch the game "Exception initialising application: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.". Nothing lauches, not even a window, just this error message in a pop-up.

Has anybody run into this error and found a way to launch the game on recent archlinux?
I've not seen this error myself. Are you able to get to the launcher? Or does the error occur before the launcher even pops up?

If it is crashing after the launcher - you could try the following Launch Option in Steam:
Code:
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

Are you able to get to the launcher? Or does the error occur before the launcher even pops up?

No I can't even reach the launcher, the only things that pop up are steam's "preparing your game" window, then the error message. If it's the first time I try to start the game after a wineprefix reset and configuration I also get two error windows saying "This application could not be started, do you want to see more information about this issue?" and pointing to that page, and then the memory exception. I don't see any launcher or game window openning, not even a blank one that gets shut down when the error appears, nothing.

No I can't even reach the launcher, the only things that pop up are steam's "preparing your game" window, then the error message. If it's the first time I try to start the game after a wineprefix reset and configuration I also get two error windows saying "This application could not be started, do you want to see more information about this issue?" and pointing to that page, and then the memory exception. I don't see any launcher or game window openning, not even a blank one that gets shut down when the error appears, nothing.

Are you using the Linux native steam installed from the official repos, or have you installed the windows version of steam using wine? If you are using the windows version you should uninstall and install the Linux native version of steam. Once you have done that you need to activate steam play for all games in the settings and that should allow you to play the game without any issues. BTW I use Arch too lol.

Are you using the Linux native steam installed from the official repos, or have you installed the windows version of steam using wine?

Yes I'm using the native Linux steam installed via official archlinux repository, I also tried a few different versions of proton.

I feel like there is something broken with my setup though. For example, protontricks cannot find my library folder, and if I add the path myself in the libraryfolders.vbf file, it says it found a library folder but cannot find any games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom