How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

have you installed the kernel modules for your CPU and have the drivers for your GPU? Also did you install to / or /home/yourUsername?

Last edited:
have you installed the kernel modules for your CPU and have the drivers for your GPU? Also did you install to / or /home/yourUsername?

Yes (my hardware is the one on the latest review of E: D on ProtonDB, the one with proton 4.11-5 and kernel 5.3.0-zen1-1-zen), I have the correct modules and drivers for my CPU (intel) and GPU (nvidia), automatically rebuilt at every kernel update with dkms. My personnal steam folder is in /home/<login>/.local/share/steam and I have symlink at /home/<login>/.steam/steam that points to that same folder. But steam itself is installed globally on my computer using archlinux's package manager (so for example, the steam binary launcher is /usr/bin/steam, which is also the result of the command which steam).

(btw thank you all for your suggestions, the help is really appreciated!)

Last edited:
Yes (my hardware is the one on the latest review of E: D on ProtonDB, the one with proton 4.11-5 and kernel 5.3.0-zen1-1-zen), I have the correct modules and drivers for my CPU (intel) and GPU (nvidia), automatically rebuilt at every kernel update with dkms. My personnal steam folder is in /home/<login>/.local/share/steam and I have symlink at /home/<login>/.steam/steam that points to that same folder. But steam itself is installed globally on my computer using archlinux's package manager (so for example, the steam binary launcher is /usr/bin/steam, which is also the result of the command which steam).

(btw thank you all for your suggestions, the help is really appreciated!)

Presumably you're trying to use Proton because your copy of ED was bought via Steam?

I bought the non-Steam version. I'm using Arch Linux, and I'm just using whatever's the latest Arch wine-staging package. ED runs with no problems.

Presumably you're trying to use Proton because your copy of ED was bought via Steam?

Correct. Do you know any way of getting the non-Steam version without paying again and without launching the game? I think I saw that you can link your steam purchase to a Frontier account but you need to log into the ED launcher and I can't even reach that.

I have no idea what to ask or try next sorry. I just press the play button and after dismissing an error twice it just starts the launcher and I can get in game. Hope you manage to get it working.

I have no idea what to ask or try next sorry. I just press the play button and after dismissing an error twice it just starts the launcher and I can get in game. Hope you manage to get it working.

No problem I understand, there must be something weirdly wrong with my setup. Can you just tell me which errors do you dismiss at start?

Hello fellow Linux bods. I've a question which I hope someone out there has some information for. Is there any Linux app that does the same job as vJoy on Windows? I'm a Keyboard&Mouse user and vJoy combined with FreePIE lets me do both absolute and relative mouse.
I've run ED on Linux before and have been using Linux for all other computing purposes for about 10 years now and the only reason I've still got this ED Windows install running is that one issue with K&M. Someone in this thread mentioned Opentrack but I think I've looked into that and either not had much luck with it or don't understand how to set it up.
Anyone managed to set up absolute/relative mouse in Linux?

Hello fellow Linux bods. I've a question which I hope someone out there has some information for. Is there any Linux app that does the same job as vJoy on Windows? I'm a Keyboard&Mouse user and vJoy combined with FreePIE lets me do both absolute and relative mouse.
I've run ED on Linux before and have been using Linux for all other computing purposes for about 10 years now and the only reason I've still got this ED Windows install running is that one issue with K&M. Someone in this thread mentioned Opentrack but I think I've looked into that and either not had much luck with it or don't understand how to set it up.
Anyone managed to set up absolute/relative mouse in Linux?

This might help you - I've not yet spotted a GUI app equivalent to JoystickCurves on Linux. Might be time to start an open source project, if I could summons up the energy...

Hi there, I'm trying to install the game in steam on Archlinux, I tried a lot of winetricks combinations given in this thread, on protondb, on wine's appdb, on redmcg's wiki, and I keep getting the following error when I try to launch the game "Exception initialising application: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.". Nothing lauches, not even a window, just this error message in a pop-up.

Has anybody run into this error and found a way to launch the game on recent archlinux?

I just noticed someone else on ProtonDB ran in to the same error as you. The only Spec you had in common though was the NVidia driver (435.21). However - I just upgraded to that and it still runs for me.

I wonder if a log will provide any clues. You can create one using the PROTON_LOG option. Additional instructions (if needed) can be found here:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton#runtime-config-options

I wonder if a log will provide any clues. You can create one using the PROTON_LOG option. Additional instructions (if needed) can be found here:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton#runtime-config-options

Thanks for the suggestion, I generated one but cannot find any clue in it. Here it is if someone wants to look at it https://gist.github.com/Dettorer/b5d09a6d884d87eac6af5c38506ad505.

I thought it was my GPU (GTX 660) that too old for the driver, and tried today with a GTX 1060 with the same error so that wasn't it.
Then I thought it might be the fact I use i3 as my window manager, which resizes windows itself, but I tried with a classic (not tiling) window manager and also got the same error.

Thanks for the suggestion, I generated one but cannot find any clue in it. Here it is if someone wants to look at it https://gist.github.com/Dettorer/b5d09a6d884d87eac6af5c38506ad505.

I thought it was my GPU (GTX 660) that too old for the driver, and tried today with a GTX 1060 with the same error so that wasn't it.
Then I thought it might be the fact I use i3 as my window manager, which resizes windows itself, but I tried with a classic (not tiling) window manager and also got the same error.

I can see the access violation (which is usually an attempt to read or write protected memory) in your logs (if you grep for 'code=c0000005', you'll find it too). It happens immediately after a line about your winbind package:
Code:
16316.738:0030:0031:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
16316.742:0030:0031:trace:loaddll:load_so_dll Loaded L"C:\\windows\\system32\\kerberos.dll" at 0x7f26b8960000: builtin
16316.744:0030:0031:trace:loaddll:load_native_dll Loaded L"C:\\windows\\system32\\schannel.dll" at 0x6bd00000: PE builtin
16316.789:0030:0031:trace:seh:NtRaiseException code=c0000005 flags=0 addr=0x7f26b8b23d98 ip=7f26b8b23d98 tid=0031

You could try installing the winbind package and see if that makes a difference - but it's a long shot. The crash looks to be because it is trying to run code from an invalid address in winhttp.dll.

Do we have a blow by blow "how to" post for proton 4.11 - I did the usual using winetricks to install dxvk dotnet40 and set win7.

Launcher runs
Game Runs
Does the shader thing and the planet builoding thing
Gets to the main menu but when I try to go into open I drop to 1fps, I see a rotating starfield and some random cockpit stuff and then my system locks up.

Do we have a blow by blow "how to" post for proton 4.11 - I did the usual using winetricks to install dxvk dotnet40 and set win7.

Launcher runs
Game Runs
Does the shader thing and the planet builoding thing
Gets to the main menu but when I try to go into open I drop to 1fps, I see a rotating starfield and some random cockpit stuff and then my system locks up.

It's the same steps for 4.11 (winetricks dotnet40 win7).

If you haven't already tried it, you could try deleting (and recreating) your prefix. You may also want to try a manual install of dotnet40:

I've found 4.11 to be a bit sensitive to other versions of Wine dabbling in the prefix.

It's the same steps for 4.11 (winetricks dotnet40 win7).

If you haven't already tried it, you could try deleting (and recreating) your prefix. You may also want to try a manual install of dotnet40:

I've found 4.11 to be a bit sensitive to other versions of Wine dabbling in the prefix.

Having started the client today just to test it seems to be working ok after all. The graphical garbage must have just been a glitch.

Is there any advantage in using Proton?

For me, yes. I bought ED and Horizons through steam so running it via steamplay is convenient for me.

Is there any advantage in using Proton?

Not if you already have it running in Wine. It does report to the developer that you are using Linux, if that's important to you (using just Wine otherwise looks just like another Windows user).

I think the stand alone launcher can be tricky to find (removed?) for new purchases too.

And you also get all the Steam features (like remote play).

Not if you already have it running in Wine. It does report to the developer that you are using Linux, if that's important to you (using just Wine otherwise looks just like another Windows user).

I think the stand alone launcher can be tricky to find (removed?) for new purchases too.

And you also get all the Steam features (like remote play).
I have a multiboot linux system.
On OpenSuSE, I have ED installed in the home directory. Steam is not installed on OpenSuSE.
But ED runs when I start the launcher.
On Ubuntu, the home directory is to small, so I have it installed on a separate directory (but this is not the home directory on OpenSuSE). Steam is installed on Ubuntu.
ED runs too when I start the launcher.
I wonder how Steam sees this all. It seems to know about two different locations as it mentions them in the Library Folders. But how knows Steam if I lauch ED from the OpenSuSE home directory and when I do it from Ubuntu?

Last edited:
Anyone running ED via Steam/Proton with a DualShock 4 controller and able to bind all buttons to game actions, including the "PS" button and touchpad click? I couldn't get it to work using Steam's controller config options, so I've been tinkering with tweaks to ds4drv to make all buttons bindable, but I wonder if someone has tread this path already.

Yesterday I upgraded wine to version 4.20 on OpenSuSE 15.1
Starting the launcher with:

wine64 EDLaunch.exe /novr

resulted in an error. The launch window appeared, but no 'play' button was there. In fact, there was not even room for such a button as the launcher window was smaller in the vertical dimension.

Starting the launcher with:

wine64 EDLaunch.exe /novr /steam

worked.
It surprises me, because I thought the /steam parameter had become obsolete.

Last edited:
Top Bottom