Hows performance after patch 11 ?

Just for the record, I am not stating as fact that Odyssey is Bitcoin mining in the background. No, no, no, no! No libel suit for me, thank you. However, there was a news story some time ago about a company that was doing just that - using spare CPU cycles to mine Bitcoin for themselves while users ran their software. I can't remember the outcome of that story (I don't know if there were any legal ramifications), but I do remember it causing an uproar at the time.

The MSFS installer, on the other hand, is definitely doing something fishy. Why does it need to peg my GPU while slowly downloading the latest update from the Microsoft store? Some people say that Microsoft is using "clever" (as in, terribly inefficient) compression, and the GPU is just decompressing the data. Hogwash I say! Steam downloads 10 times faster and doesn't touch my GPU. Also, I throttled down my processors while running the installer (to keep my laptop from melting), and download speeds remained the same, so it just doesn't add up. But like Odyssey, I am not stating as fact that MSFS installer is Bitcoin mining in the background.

Back to Odyssey, I was just joking. It is much more likely the result of bad, inefficient programming. A lack of talent and time (as in, a rushed product pushed out under an insane crunch) is the most simple and likely explanation.

I was not suggesting that odissey's poor performance was in partly caused by mining software either.

My eye was caught by your words about the MSFS updater in particular, i too found the gpu work unexplainable,

My eye was caught by your words about the MSFS updater in particular, i too found the gpu work unexplainable,
Yeah... It probably isn't a Bitcoin miner, but it could well be "doing work for Microsoft" in some other way, perhaps crowd-sourcing photogrammetry processing for cities to be added to MSFS in future updates. This would not be the first time Microsoft has used their customer's PCs to help offload work from their own servers...

I'd imagine that it's just a bug in the installer where it just paints frames as fast as it can. IMO, no need for conspiracy theories if incompetence can offer an explanation..
It's more complicated than that, this I know for sure. (Assuming we're still talking about the Microsoft installer)

Yeah... It probably isn't a Bitcoin miner, but it could well be "doing work for Microsoft" in some other way, perhaps crowd-sourcing photogrammetry processing for cities to be added to MSFS in future updates. This would not be the first time Microsoft has used their customer's PCs to help offload work from their own servers...
This is pretty much what throwing "MSFS update 100% GPU" into a search engine gave as a result.
Plenty of games without framerate caps on the menu/loading screens have been doing this to me for ages, long before crypto was even a thing. Heck, Elite Dangerous itself does it. Tells me I'm getting anywhere from 900 to 2000 FPS on the startup sequence before the main menu, GPU whirring at 100% usage.

Without a framerate cap, the GPU will render as much as it possibly can. MSFS happens to have no framerate cap on the download menu, so the GPU is trying to render that little progress bar with as many thousands of frames per second as it can. Nothing fishy or malicious about it, just poor coding.

JBUQkOt.png

Really though, I don't have a problem with an app rendering as fast as it can, as long as some method to cap frame rate, should I desire it to, is available.

JBUQkOt.png

Really though, I don't have a problem with an app rendering as fast as it can, as long as some method to cap frame rate, should I desire it to, is available.
I have to say it does give me a warm, comfortable feeling when you start up a (new) title and you find out they have already capped menu FPS like they should.

Plenty of games without framerate caps on the menu/loading screens have been doing this to me for ages, long before crypto was even a thing. Heck, Elite Dangerous itself does it. Tells me I'm getting anywhere from 900 to 2000 FPS on the startup sequence before the main menu, GPU whirring at 100% usage.
I don't have this problem with any other game, and that includes Elite. 🤷‍♂️

Without a framerate cap, the GPU will render as much as it possibly can. MSFS happens to have no framerate cap on the download menu, so the GPU is trying to render that little progress bar with as many thousands of frames per second as it can.
Again, I personally don't have this problem in any other game I own. It also doesn't make sense to me, since a 2D window should be using window API calls in Windows, which should by default be tied to my refresh rate (disclaimer - I'm not a Windows developer, so I'm admittedly speculating). I can take this Firefox browser and move and resize and scroll and flail it as fast as I can while running a 60 fps YouTube video and it barely touches my GPU, and that's my Intel GPU. For some reason MSFS's ultra-simplistic downloader with a progress bar needs to not only peg my GPU, it has to fire up my NVidia GPU, despite not having any visible 3D assets? That's just nuts! At least Odyssey has an excuse, LOL.

Nothing fishy or malicious about it, just poor coding.
FWIW, I agree that it is more likely to be bad coding (though you'd think they would fix this problem after a year if it's just a bug), though like I said, "fishy" has happened in the industry before.

But I will someday try the trick people use in Odyssey, that is to set the application-specific framerate limiter in the NVidia control panel itself for the MSFS installer, because I am curious now. Heck, I'll set it to 10 fps, since that progress bar grows one pixel every five days thanks to the atrocious download speeds (Steam it is not).

(Can you tell how much I hate that installer?)

now POW cryptos are likely coming to the end of the line sooner rather than later this idea is probably obsolete but i have considered in the past a cool model for a F2P game could involve exactly what is being tinfoil hatted here.

however not being sly about it, but competly open.

20% of a systems gpu being set aside as well as a few cores of the cpu if available for different cryptos.......to run some form of mining algorithim and then the rest being used to run the game. the game could then be free - or alternatively could be pay for to play but then all cosmetics and what not all be available to everyone in game.

i have to think it would be doable. for instance i can easiliy play wiiu games on my pc emulated at 4k whilst my pc is mining Etherium at the same time.

of course my mining rate is massively reduced, but its still significant - or would be if 1000s of machines were doing it.

like i said too late now, but could have been an innovative way of supporting a game so long as it was all done openly a few years back

btw the MSFS 2020 installer is the worst one i have ever seen. it uses loads of resorces which means i cant game on my pc whilst its updating.... it uses a huge amount of power whilst running (and it takes ages)

and it gimps my mining rate.

there really is nothing going for it.

Last edited:
Well, I just updated to the AMD 22.5.2 preview drivers and the "preparing planet generation system" progress gauge is incrementing 1% every three minutes or so...not sure how this is going to bode for performance!

Well, I just updated to the AMD 22.5.2 preview drivers and the "preparing planet generation system" progress gauge is incrementing 1% every three minutes or so...not sure how this is going to bode for performance!
I think one time I forgot I had the game capped at 30 FPS and that took quite a while to generate as well. Not that darn slow though.

I heard good things like up to 10 % increase in performance , but it is still a preview driver so , anyway let us know how it goes would be interested to know if its any better

I heard good things like up to 10 % increase in performance , but it is still a preview driver so , anyway let us know how it goes would be interested to know if its any better

I think one time I forgot I had the game capped at 30 FPS and that took quite a while to generate as well. Not that darn slow though.

No frame rate cap here. Took about five hours.

Once the game finally loaded, I was hopeful, as frame rate of the ship in the hangar was higher than with earlier drivers. However, I kept getting an 'Orange Sidewinder' network error when trying to load the offline tutorial. I was able to load into my CMDR for a few moments, but there were blatant rendering errors, and then I was kicked back to the main menu with another 'Orange Sidewinder' error.

Will try again later, perhaps reverting all game settings to defaults. If that doesn't work, I will probably wait for either a game patch or new drivers before trying again, as these drivers are a noticeable improvement in other titles I play and I am not going to revert them for the sake of EDO.

Edit: Horizons works fine.

Last edited:
No frame rate cap here. Took about five hours.

Once the game finally loaded, I was hopeful, as frame rate of the ship in the hangar was higher than with earlier drivers. However, I kept getting an 'Orange Sidewinder' network error when trying to load the offline tutorial. I was able to load into my CMDR for a few moments, but there were blatant rendering errors, and then I was kicked back to the main menu with another 'Orange Sidewinder' error.

Will try again later, perhaps reverting all game settings to defaults. If that doesn't work, I will probably wait for either a game patch or new drivers before trying again, as these drivers are a noticeable improvement in other titles I play and I am not going to revert them for the sake of EDO.

Edit: Horizons works fine.
interesting , its still preview so might be a few errors here and there , I also tried downloading it but couldn't find those specific drivers , got a link? the drivers before that 22.5.1 works quite well , I think a 2 or so increase in fps is noted , and on my system it makes a huge difference , also seems even in the low 15 fps in the concourse its much smoother , less jittery .

oh yeah I tried that one , makes no difference to performance , its the same

The performance increase...which exists in most every DX11 game I've tried, except Odyssey, because it doesn't work...should only be applicable to RDNA2/RX 6000 series parts.

The performance increase...which exists in most every DX11 game I've tried, except Odyssey, because it doesn't work...should only be applicable to RDNA2/RX 6000 series parts.
Just out of curiosity, but which is currently your favourite eye candy title which has most impressed you with regards to visual fidelity versus performance?

Top Bottom