Hows performance after patch 11 ?

3090, 5900x, 64Gb of ram. As of today, solid 60fps everywhere but the settlements and occasionally station interiors, where I get 25-45. So, it's fine, as long as I avoid settlements, especially ones with active CZ, or other players present. Even then, it's playable, just not optimal.

Resolution? It appears to be a major factor when it comes to EDO.

3090, 5900x, 64Gb of ram. As of today, solid 60fps everywhere but the settlements and occasionally station interiors, where I get 25-45. So, it's fine, as long as I avoid settlements, especially ones with active CZ, or other players present. Even then, it's playable, just not optimal.
Yes, just avoid the Odyssey content.

Should still be faster; 25 fps is quite low for your hardware, other than a momentary dip when loading assets. Lowish speed memory and FCLK maybe? Memory helps in general once CPU is fast enough and the latter is especially important on the dual CCD/CCX Vermeer parts as any communication between chiplets has to go through the I/O die via Fabric.

Resolution? It appears to be a major factor when it comes to EDO.

Settlements can be GPU limited on a 3090 combo, but only really around 4k native (no FSR) or with supersampling. CZs or CMDRs causing issues is much more indicative of a CPU/memory performance limitation than one related to GPU (resolution).

On an unrelated note, I'm finding this OBS plugin to be the best option for recording video on AMD GPUs.

I recorded the first 1:05 of the Unigine Heaven benchmark at 4k via various OBS plugins at CQP (or CRF in the case of software x264) 24 and compared the size of the output files (rounded to the nearest significant digit):

AMD AMF AVC (via standard plugin or FFmpeg) - 1.13GiB
AMD AMF HEVC (FFmpeg) - 1.1GiB
AMD AMF AVC (new plugin linked) - 917MiB
NVIDIA NVENC AVC (standard plugin on my RTX 3080) - 850MiB
Software x264 (h.264/AVC), custom veryfast - 259MiB

Visually indistinguishable output quality from all of them and all trying to conform to YouTube's recommendations. Obviously, all the hardware encoders are crap relative to x264, and NVENC is still better than AMF/VCN (which still lack b-frames), but this new plugin is competitive, especially given that x264 needs about eight entire Zen 3 cores to itself to encode 4k60 in real-time without dropping frames.

The settings I used (for 4k60) with the new plugin:
scfAYSV.png
If you're going to convert it later before uploading/archiving it you can increase keyframe interval (120 should work) and uncheck "enforce HRD encoder" for slightly better compression. CQP 24 at balanced quality is the best practical combination for 4k on RX 6800/6900 class hardware, but CQP 18 (for P and I frames) and "quality" quality is optimal for 1440p60.

Should still be faster; 25 fps is quite low for your hardware, other than a momentary dip when loading assets. Lowish speed memory and FCLK maybe? Memory helps in general once CPU is fast enough and the latter is especially important on the dual CCD/CCX Vermeer parts as any communication between chiplets has to go through the I/O die via Fabric.
Is there any point in splitting hairs about optimal hardware for Odyssey though? It's going to be poorly performing no matter how much you try to optimize your setup for it.

Is there any point in splitting hairs about optimal hardware for Odyssey though? It's going to be poorly performing no matter how much you try to optimize your setup for it.

Odyssey (as of U11) is always going to perform poorly, but that poor performance is relative to the hardware used and how it's configured. The choice of hardware, or the precise configuration of it, is not always a matter of splitting hairs; it can make a significant difference.

Is there some XML/config file voodoo we can work to increase the draw distance/LOD bias?

I really don't like watching some prop chemical canisters turn into crushed aluminum beer cans before my very eyes as soon as I step from 49.9 yards away and hit 50.00 yards or whatever.

Is there some XML/config file voodoo we can work to increase the draw distance/LOD bias?

I really don't like watching some prop chemical canisters turn into crushed aluminum beer cans before my very eyes as soon as I step from 49.9 yards away and hit 50.00 yards or whatever.

You can try increasing "LODDistanceScale" variable (the game's slider maxes out at 1.0, but the maximum usable figure seems to be 1.999999, which needs to be manually changed in the file any time in-game graphics options are applied) in the "Custom.4.0.fxcfg" file, but there seem to be numerous exceptions to this setting and there is a good chance it won't help.

Last edited:
You can try increasing "LODDistanceScale" variable (the game's slider maxes out at 1.0, but the maximum usable figure seems to be 1.99999, which needs to be manually changed in the file any time in-game graphics options are applied) in the "Custom.4.0.fxcfg" file, but there seem to be numerous exceptions to this setting and there is a good chance it won't help.
I'll take a look at that, because seeing this even with the in-game slider all the way to the right just sucks:
20220404191954_1.jpg

20220404191957_1.jpg

(Referring to the chemical gas canisters near the reticle)

Zoomed & Cropped images for a more direct A-B comparison:
1649164498059.png
1649164510190.png

Difference in distance between those two LODs is only a couple of footsteps.

It's jarring. And of course, the LODs continue to change before your very eyes as you continue to move even closer, but one example gets the point across.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, as you warned, it doesn't actually help in this situation.

Set it to 1.999999 and no difference (on settlement assets, at least).
The problem isn't just the pop-in, it's also that the lower quality levels are so awkwardly shaped. You can see that on the concourse elevators as well, at distance everything just turns into ugly triangles. I haven't seen many moderns games where it's this bad.

Last edited:
I can confirm that's exactly what I get with my 3090, 7820X @4.5GHz, 64Gb RAM (86Gb/s throuput and 55ms latency)... also 4K... again, not in every station and not in every settlement, but yeah, it sometimes drops that low.

Normally I'd get over 65fps accross the board... and +55fps during on-foot CZs but depending on whaterver craziness the game is trying to accomplish, the FPS drops to unpredictable levels.

Visually indistinguishable output quality from all of them and all trying to conform to YouTube's recommendations. Obviously, all the hardware encoders are crap relative to x264, and NVENC is still better than AMF/VCN (which still lack b-frames), but this new plugin is competitive, especially given that x264 needs about eight entire Zen 3 cores to itself to encode 4k60 in real-time without dropping frames.
Remember when you had to double/triple pass encode for half a day to get anything to look close to the original footage at an "acceptable" file size? Those where the days.

I'll take a look at that, because seeing this even with the in-game slider all the way to the right just sucks:
(Referring to the chemical gas canisters near the reticle)
On the topic of LOD, Horizons isn't great either. The spinning radar dishes, for example, make a pretty radical change from round to a pentagon at a surprisingly close distance. Same goes for ships and other geometry - the LOD just "pops" between levels, and it's jarring and sometimes ugly. My other games handle LOD transitions way more smoothly.

But I've given Horizons a bit of pass in this regards because of performance - if the cost of rock-solid FPS (especially in VR where my machine is maxed out) is a bit of LOD pop, I can live with it, as annoying as it is. On the other hand, my machine has lots of CPU & GPU to spare when playing on my flat screen, so it would be nice if I could extend the range of the high-definition LOD geometry. I wonder if Morbad's trick will work in Horizons. I'll give it a try sometime.

This is the current state of performance on my setup during a high CZ at one of the slower large (++) settlement types:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVBv0YJZigY

Game settings were 4k + FSR ultra quality (77% resolution scale), using custom ultra settings (all-round increased texture resolutions plus my custom shadow tables), but no DoF. Recording was done via OBS Studio's game capture and e00E's AMF AVC plugin at 4k60 CQP 24 (which produced a ~27GB, 184Mbps, file that took YouTube three days to convert). Hardware and app monitoring was via CapFrameX, with the included RTSS providing the overlay. Combined there was about 3-5% of overhead for the monitoring and recording.

Performance is mostly solid, though a faster CPU could still improve frame rate, while a sufficiently fast GPU (an overclocked 3090 or 3090 Ti) would allow FSR to be disabled without impacting performance. The single most annoying aspect of CZ performance, and the cause for most of the low P1% and P0.2% figures, is the loading spike/stutter that happens every-single-time a vulture dropship spawns to deliver more infantry. It's not a long stutter, but it's apparent, even without all the gauges and meters.

Remember when you had to double/triple pass encode for half a day to get anything to look close to the original footage at an "acceptable" file size? Those where the days.

These hardware encoders are mostly acceptable because storage and bandwidth are cheaper than they used to be.

If I want the ultimate archival footage, it's CRF 16 x265, with a custom medium-slow preset. This encodes at about ten times slower than real-time on my 3950X.

These hardware encoders are mostly acceptable because storage and bandwidth are cheaper than they used to be.

If I want the ultimate archival footage, it's CRF 16 x265, with a custom medium-slow preset. This encodes at about ten times slower than real-time on my 3950X.
Which is still impressively fast and efficient considering the output. I can remember capturing footage in Q3 games frame by frame to "raw" JPEGs (edit: actually these could've been BMPs you had to convert to JPEGs, memory's a bit foggy), combining that to a raw .AVI, editing it in Vegas, exporting it to a raw .AVI again and then double or triple pass encoding it with MeGUI over the course of a day for a 5-10 minute 1080p/30 FPS clip.

Last edited:
@Morbad , just watched your video and this is what I get... +65FPS as usual but droping very often to 55 during combat at on-foot CZs. I don't use FSR or any DSR method and I use your special shadows (thanks once again for those!). A couple of things to point out though... seemed Frontier reduced the number of NPCs in these CZ by at least half and I get most load on my GPU during "night time" combat.

A couple of things to point out though... seemed Frontier reduced the number of NPCs in these CZ by at least half (...)
When did this happen? As long as I can remember there have been a maximum of 12 NPCs on each side.

The problem isn't just the pop-in, it's also that the lower quality levels are so awkwardly shaped. You can see that on the concourse elevators as well, at distance everything just turns into ugly triangles. I haven't seen many moderns games where it's this bad.
That and I've seen that other games blend LODs together as they change so it's more subtle and not just an instantaneous transformation between 1 frame to the next.

Top Bottom