The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

I've recently been discussing the archivation with my fellows and we came up with some idea on checking the archived POIs. For now you seem to add new archived ones nearly every day and it's hard to keep track of new POIs. So, the thing is, after the whole project will be finished and we will get a complete archive, we gather 5-10 seasoned explorers and divide archive between each other to check. I hope to get about 100-200 POIs for check on each of them, so everyone will be able to thoroughly look through POIs and make conclusion whether it's worth saving on the map or not.

What I mean by seasoned explorer? Well, hard to say: we dont really need super mlg pro explorers with hundred of submitted pois 50k systems discovered and 3 000 000 ly traveled (and I dont think we will be able to find many of such people) but we also dont need those who just traveled the route sol-col-sag-bp and back and consider themselves as explorers. We just need common people who explored uncharted sectors, visited reasonable number of POIs, saw decent amount of things, and, preferably, did some job for GMP.

Which POIs are definitely gonna be sent to archive:

1) Binaries and triads of planets like aw, ww, elw, (except maybe records and some special cases).
2) Deleted and "fixed" objects like pink gg.
3) Lone and "beacon" stars.
4) Green systems sololy.
5) Usual geysers and bio sites (except records and only habitats in the galaxy).
6) Minor historical POIs like landing sites of expeditions.
7) POIs without photos (except historical and very special cases).
8) Regional POIs that do not provide any information or list of the systems in the region (except real and clear seen clusters).

Some minor ideas:

1) If in the end we will have only POI list from the map (no filtration by type and search) I recommend to divide POIs by alphabet, like: the first man checks everything from A to D, the second from E to I, etc.

2) To ease the task a bit I suggest dividing all "worth saving" into 3 categories: objective, subjective, unsure. Objective - a person has some reasons and arguments why this should be left on the map. Subjective - a person is not sure about data records and numbers but just feels that this should be left on the map because of scenery and beauty.
Unsure - those which do not fall into both categories, these will be discussed by everybody together in the end.

All in all, the final decision is still made by you, so I dont think that you will be against cooperation of pilots and creation of a separated thread for this "sort-out". If somebody wills to take part, Im going to make the thread and post link here as soon as we get the completed archive. Though I think it will definitely happen not in the nearest 2 weeks at least, because GMP has hundreds of POIs and staff will need some time to sort out all of this. Like this post if you support the idea.

Picture is just for design

I would like to suggest a POI:

System (click to go to the EDSM-page):OOB AUF LH-D B44-0
Body:4 A
Coordinates:45.3751 | 99.6200
Category:Planetary Features
Suggested name:The Blue Mountains
Description:A blue mountain range.
Pictures:
oobauflh-db44-0-oobauxoj1p.jpg

oobauflh-db44-0-oobau5kkx0.jpg

oobauflh-db44-0-oobau4mkj2.jpg

oobauflh-db44-0-oobauxgjba.jpg

Last edited:
Good question. Only the GMP team could tell you with certainty if they'd accept it or not. What I can tell you are the numbers: 3,591 ELMs out of 180,120 ELWs, but 1,776 of those orbit HMCPs as yours does. Can't tell you how rare they are around neutron stars, but back on 2019.05.30, 2,370 ELWs were around solo neutron stars. Not sure how many of them were ELMs though.
However, I can tell you numbers from the ELW list. 16,534 ELWs there on total, and 22 are like yours - solo Neutron Star main star, ELM.

In any case, I'd certainly recommend trying to submit it. Oh, and if you submit it to the ELW list, you'll get an automatically calculated rarity score too.

Oh, and I just read that "super mlg pro explorer" from your earlier post. Thanks, that was a fun one :D

Last edited:
Oops, it looks, I've initially misread "million" for "billion".

Just checked the list, made by cmdr. Orvidius, and it looks like that the current galactic record is a gas giant with 45.26 million (!) km. ring in system Col 107 Sector UY-Q b34-4. BTW, it is surprisingly near the Bubble and should be a nice place visit, though, I'm afraid that the ring may turn out to be invisible.

Still, 7 million km. ring is very large and rather rare, there is less than a thousand such rings in the whole EDSM database and moreover many of them are invisible and don't give chances for nice screenshots :) I hope you write the "address" of the system after you get tags :)

Thats very awesome of you to pull all this up and confirm! I should be back from the black in a week, I'll be sure to post the addy then.

Oops, it looks, I've initially misread "million" for "billion".

Just checked the list, made by cmdr. Orvidius, and it looks like that the current galactic record is a gas giant with 45.26 million (!) km. ring in system Col 107 Sector UY-Q b34-4. BTW, it is surprisingly near the Bubble and should be a nice place visit, though, I'm afraid that the ring may turn out to be invisible.

Still, 7 million km. ring is very large and rather rare, there is less than a thousand such rings in the whole EDSM database and moreover many of them are invisible and don't give chances for nice screenshots :) I hope you write the "address" of the system after you get tags :)

annd submitted. feel free to check out FLYIEDGE DG-N D7-56 12. Please send screenshots my way :D

yeeeeeee.png

Monolith of the Seven (Neutron Cluster)

It's actually monolith of the nine - there are another 2 neutron stars in the cluster that were not mentioned in the entry:

Joorai NI-K d8-86
Joorai HH-M d7-111

Photo for the POI:

Addition:

The cluster seems to be the only habitat of Metallic Crystals and P-Type anomalies in The Veils region.

Hello GMP :)

I'd like my Dance of Cerberus archived POI to be reconsidered. Apart from being damn spectacular to see when you enter the system, it's also a Tourist Beacon in game. So is generally considered to be a place of some note.

Many thanks
Yanick

Map updated: post 4255 to 4298

Added:
  • 11 in a row
  • Nadelwald
  • Blue Lantern Nebula
Updated:
  • Phoenix Nebula Geysers B --> archived
  • Phoenix Nebula Geysers A --> updated description and renamed to Phoenix Nebula Geysers
  • Umbra Centralis Nebula --> added image
  • Keplers Fantasy --> additional description
  • Centauri Shores --> added image
  • Keelblack Rings --> added image
  • Monolith of the Seven --> renamed to Monolith of the Nine
Not Added:
  • Semilla <-- a single WW and 8 TFC is not that rare
  • The Blue Mountains <-- more distinctive features needed
Retrieved from archive:
  • Regal and Celerity
  • The Jewelbox
  • Dance of Cerberus

Last edited:
Gaseous Roulette

Though this POI is not that magnificent as the others its on the DW route back to Sol and can offer some decent views so I dont think it should be archived.

Attachments

• 20190822003852_1.jpg
    20190822003852_1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 20190822004035_1.jpg
    20190822004035_1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 950
  • 20190822004112_1.jpg
    20190822004112_1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 226
Top Bottom