Lego Asp Scout (UCS minifig 1:96ish scale) update

I'm not too keen on EDs interior designs so I'm taking influences from films like Alien and industrial machinery / current engineering too. Its also a challenge making such a large model robust enough to be free standing as its getting chonky :D

It's a shame this Youtuber https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnUs300 hasn't done a video on either of the Asp ships, otherwise you could have used that to base your internal layout on

When you said hot pink earlier, I think FDev were listening....
87CCA2DB-539C-434D-802B-DDE4B580BA77.jpeg

The worst part is getting really far in the build then finding a crucial element is only available in some odd colour or for mad money, at least FD have helped out in this respect with a bunch of strange colour schemes to go with.

I've recently restored my childhood classic space and added all the sets I missed in the 70's & 80's so the hunt from old grey was a very expensive nightmare (especially monorail track!).

Good luck with it and keep a good grip when swooshing it about the living room.

No swooshing with this one, not unless I want to knock a new doorway :D

But I've come across this a lot. I had to (and still do) have to replace or refactor parts when I go online and go "how much?", especially for things about 1x1 in size.

I APPROVE OF THIS THREAD!!

As the guy who made this monstrosity ( https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lego-technic-srv-wip.521140/ ) and it having taken 7 months to design I salute you on taking on this project!

A few words from my experience, which I hope help... Seeing as you seem to be making it by hand (as in not using LDD) you can side step the mistake I made of using rare or discontinued parts without realising it. Also bricklink is brilliant for bulk ordering parts, but don't forget about Rebrickable - they have an extensive catalogue of parts and alternative parts to use if the one you want is hard to get.

If you can, try and keep a record of how many parts it is, AFOLs love those kinds of stats :)

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Thanks for the tips! I've already come across lots of inconsistencies as I use my old 80s lego- one being the dubiously named 'thick' ring clip: I never knew my old 80s ones were thin. I use them to connect lots of bricks end to end in specific ways (the model is really two- one upside down, the other the 'top' bolted onto the frame with parts acting as joining pieces. The problem is the ring thickness is exactly half in the old ones, so I have to match them carefully. I never thought old Technic, new Technic, 'new' Leo and old had so many subtle incompatibilities until now :D

So far I'd say its about 2 -3000 parts.

I can’t give sufficient likes for doing it in RL LEGO, rather than virtual LEGO. :)(y)
But building in virtual lego helps! Without building in LDD I wouldn't have been able to build my big SRV. Still doesn't beat having a play with physical bricks though... and that sound when routing through a huge box of bricks just to find that ONE tiny piece you need!... oh and the ache in your neck afterwards :p

Top Bottom