Newcomer / Intro My Return to ED ......

As I said, if there's a conflict then the game doesn't allow you to set a keybinding, you'll either have the option to override what's already set (which will remove the conflicting binding) or cancel. No bindings have precedence. :) If you've set the arrow keys to navigate the UI they will no longer be set for power management.
Yes .....sorry ...... "precedence" was the wrong word to use. A new when I used it, it was not what I meant ! 😖
Just a question here:
why are there two columns for key bindings? My arrow selection for UI movement is in the second column. Is that significant?

So, I've fired the game up specially for you ;) I'm assuming you are in Odyssey.
No. I'm in Horizon.
UI mappings are under Options > Controls > General Controls > Interface Mode (Expand this and you will see them all.)

Pip (power) management is under Options > Controls > Ship Controls > Miscellaneous (Expand this and you will see the three 'divert power to' mappings which allows you set pips for your specific requirements and the 'balance power to systems' which resets pips to two to each capacitor.)
Oh! That's very good of you ! (y)
If you look at my post #278 you will see my old set. This is exactly what you have set up as described above. But they don't (sorry .... didn't) work.
😉

Last edited:
If you are wanting to extract more value from the data courier runs, make sure you find some from Federation factions and gain reputation from them. That might mean moving to a different station. eddb.io can help you find Federation controlled systems, as can the ship's own navigation panel.
If a station is under the direction of the "Pilot's Federation Administration", does that means it's part of a Federation Faction ?

Yes .....sorry ...... "precedence" was the wrong word to use. A new when I used it, it was not what I meant ! 😖
Just a question here:
why are there two columns for key bindings? My arrow selection for UI movement is in the second column. Is that significant?

Oh! That's very good of you ! (y)
If you look at my post #278 you will see my old set. This is exactly what you have set up as described above. But they don't (sorry .... didn't) work.
😉
There are two key bindings for each action so you can bind buttons on a HOTAS joystick and an alternative on the PC keyboard at the same time.

If a station is under the direction of the "Pilot's Federation Administration", does that means it's part of a Federation Faction ?
No, pilots federation is completely independent. A Federation controlled system guarantees one or more Federation factions are present. They will be found in other systems too.

There are two key bindings for each action so you can bind buttons on a HOTAS joystick and an alternative on the PC keyboard at the same time.
Sorry .... don't understand ...... is that what the right and left hand columns are showing ?
Is the left hand column "keys" and the right hand column on the HOTAS joystick "buttons" ?

Sorry .... don't understand ...... is that what the right and left hand columns are showing ?
Is the left hand column "keys" and the right hand column on the HOTAS joystick "buttons" ?
Yes, that is how I use it, left hand column for keys, and right hand column for HOTAS joystick buttons.

If you are wanting to extract more value from the data courier runs, make sure you find some from Federation factions and gain reputation from them. That might mean moving to a different station. eddb.io can help you find Federation controlled systems, as can the ship's own navigation panel.
Is the eddb and the NAV Panel the only way of finding out a station's allegiance ?
What about on the Galaxy or Systems Maps ?
Or when at a station (like I'm at Aldrich Station at the moment), do I have to look at ebbd or my NAV panel to find its allegiance ?
Surely, with the station, there must be signs everywhere promoting the controlling faction ?

Yes, that is how I use it, left hand column for keys, and right hand column for HOTAS joystick buttons.
Right ......... so the righthand column has no meaning to me.
Makes it even more strange that the keys I've assigned to SYS, ENG, and WEP don't work. Sorry ...... didn't work. :unsure:
I suppose because I'm the one with the particular problem, I should be the one going back and reassigning the keys back to ARROW keys and getting it to work .... :sneaky:
But not at the moment!!! I've got a courier run to complete ...... 😉

No, pilots federation is completely independent. A Federation controlled system guarantees one or more Federation factions are present. They will be found in other systems too.
Oh! It looks as though the 'Pilots Federation' is a Faction in its own right, and is in control of stations, including Aldrich Station !
Is this the case ?

Oh! It looks as though the 'Pilots Federation' is a Faction in its own right, and is in control of stations, including Aldrich Station !
Is this the case ?
Yes correct. And now you've seen how to tell who the controlling faction is when at a station.
The Galaxy map (in the left Nav panel) on the ship can show you systems aligned to the major powers - Federation, Empire, Alliance or Independents, but only within a limited distance of you location. eddb.io and inara search tools can show you more and even which specific factions are in control where.
When you do missions with Influence+++ rewards, it increases the influence of the faction in the system. If the faction gains enough influence relative to the controlling faction, civil war breaks out and you find conflict zones in the system. Players can then choose which side to fight for to push influence higher. If influence of the rival faction becomes high enough, they become the controlling faction in the system, with one exception. Factions have a home system which they can never lose control of regardless of influence levels.

Yes correct. And now you've seen how to tell who the controlling faction is when at a station.
The Galaxy map (in the left Nav panel) on the ship can show you systems aligned to the major powers - Federation, Empire, Alliance or Independents, but only within a limited distance of you location. eddb.io and inara search tools can show you more and even which specific factions are in control where.
(y)
When you do missions with Influence+++ rewards, it increases the influence of the faction in the system. If the faction gains enough influence relative to the controlling faction, civil war breaks out and you find conflict zones in the system. Players can then choose which side to fight for to push influence higher. If influence of the rival faction becomes high enough, they become the controlling faction in the system, with one exception. Factions have a home system which they can never lose control of regardless of influence levels.
Thanks. I've just made a delivery to another Pilots Federation Alliance Station. And I've not been well received. :(
Something about 'Anonymous Protecol' and 'Unpaid Fines'. 😔
I think if I pay the fines I'll get my neutrality back.
Hopefully, I can pay the fines at this station.

(y)

Thanks. I've just made a delivery to another Pilots Federation Alliance Station. And I've not been well received. :(
Something about 'Anonymous Protecol' and 'Unpaid Fines'. 😔
I think if I pay the fines I'll get my neutrality back.
Hopefully, I can pay the fines at this station.
You've been a naughty boy :ROFLMAO:
If the Authority Contact (if present) won't let you pay the fine, use eddb.io to find the nearest station with "Has Facilities" "Interstellar Factors". Go to that station, go to the Contacts at that station and look for a contact with the Interstellar Factors subtitle. Click on that contact and there you can pay the fine. This is how you clear your record, even criminal record (Wanted) status.

You've been a naughty boy :ROFLMAO:
If the Authority Contact (if present) won't let you pay the fine, use eddb.io to find the nearest station with "Has Facilities" "Interstellar Factors". Go to that station, go to the Contacts at that station and look for a contact with the Interstellar Factors subtitle. Click on that contact and there you can pay the fine. This is how you clear your record, even criminal record (Wanted) status.
Thanks, it's paid. Just like to know what it was for? :unsure: It was only 3400 credits so it can't be too bad. :p

I suppose because I'm the one with the particular problem, I should be the one going back and reassigning the keys back to ARROW keys and getting it to work ....
Only if it really bothers you. If it's working, it's working.

Key bindings are complex even when done well, and ED doesn't do them well. The UI is poor.

• The 2 columns are actually for any sort of key or button.
  • The game should tell you if you're overriding a function with a key/button that's used elsewhere, but it doesn't always.
  • The bindings UI changed in Odyssey so be aware of that (in case anyone tries to give you advice based on Odyssey, double check).
  • If you start up the game without a peripheral that you use in your bindings (like, if your joystick isn't plugged in) your bindings will disappear. They usually reappear when you plug it back in and restart the game, but not always.
  • It's best to rename your bindings to something other than Custom, so the game won't overwrite them ever, but this requires manual editing of the binding files
  • Once you get 'em right, be sure to back them up in case (they are located at C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings)

Ok, carry on :)

Thanks, it's paid. Just like to know what it was for? :unsure: It was only 3400 credits so it can't be too bad. :p
Sounds like a fine for abandoning a mission. Some of them have fines attached to that.

Wait till you get a bounty for something (and you will). Then you'll get to experience the true joy of the Crime and Punishment system in Elite, which is, to be blunt, ridiculous. But it is what it is.

• If you start up the game without a peripheral that you use in your bindings (like, if your joystick isn't plugged in) your bindings will disappear. They usually reappear when you plug it back in and restart the game, but not always.
This is such a pain. I think I might have posted about this way near the beginning of the thread. I copy the whole folder bindings of files, 'cause I'm too lazy to figure out exactly which file(s) need copying.

Top Bottom