Newcomer / Intro My Return to ED ......

Being on console means I have ED on disc.
Updates however are downloaded via my mobile phone (no broadband where I'm currently living) using it as a WiFi hotspot.
Even on G4 the downloads are fast. And I get 80Gb for £20 or unlimited for £25. 😉

There are 3 options for Power Management and its distribution: Systems, Engines, and Weapons, and these can be adjusted.
But on which Panel in the cockpit do you make these changes and how? Thanks.

There are 3 options for Power Management and its distribution: Systems, Engines, and Weapons, and these can be adjusted.
But on which Panel in the cockpit do you make these changes and how? Thanks.
You adjust them via keyboard or button, but you have to know why you're changing stuff. Here's a good explanation, probably more than you wanted to know :) :
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5CF1uO3aw8

Last edited:
Here's the section of the control bindings that controls pips:

pips.jpg

Oh ............................. OH! .................................. OH NO!!!!
I picked up nothing!!!! 🤬
I suppose I should fly back, pick them up and complete the mission. Besides one of those waitresses was very friendly .........
I flew back to the home base, and successfully pick up the 4 units of tea. You need to confirm the transfer after you have made the transfer and I didn't do that before. :(
The 4 units of tea were all I had room for and didn't have room for the packages of oil from the other 3 missions. So I canceled those missions. I also set my <Backspace> to a 75% throttle setting and deactivated SCA as I had said I would.
Mapped a course for Aldrich Station and took off. Upon reaching Otegine, targetted Aldrich Station and proceeded towards it at full throttle in supercruise. Got within 10 seconds of my target and reduced supercruise speed to 75%. Upon reaching 6 seconds out, disengaged FSD, but it turned out to be too soon and I was still well short of the station.
So I re-engaged FSD (set it again to 75% supercruise speed) and just waited. At 4 seconds out I got the "Disengage Supercruise message" and so I did .......... perfect!
I'm right outside the entrance to the station. Grant permission to land, landed, and went to deliver the tea. There was no problem except again you need to confirm the transfer.

So ...................... (y)(y)(y) .......😉 .......all ok. Thank you boys (and girls) for all your help.

Now ...... coffee at the restaurant and that waitress ......... no problem with my memory remembering her ........ 😜 ....... and she looks a lot like my Balinese lady friend .....

Ok, but which cockpit panel allows you to operate these settings?
None - It's a key / control binding. :)

The pips are visible between your ships hologram and the fuel gauge but there is no way to click on something in the cockpit to change pips, just as there's no way in the cockpit to adjust throttle, landing gear and so on. I think that's what you're asking, but if I've misunderstood apologies... :)

Edit - For example, in my control setup, I use one of the four way hats on my throttle to adjust pips.

None - It's a key / control binding. :)

The pips are visible between your ships hologram and the fuel gauge but there is no way to click on something in the cockpit to change pips, just as there's no way in the cockpit to adjust throttle, landing gear and so on. I think that's what you're asking, but if I've misunderstood apologies... :)

Edit - For example, in my control setup, I use one of the four way hats on my throttle to adjust pips.
No apology needed, thanks for contributing. (y)
In my case, the keys I have set to adjust power management are: <down> SYS ..... <up> ENG ..... right> WEP.
However these same keys have an alternative role: <down> moves me down in the upfront cockpit view ie. Refuel to Support Services to Auto Launch and likewise, if I'm in the NAV Panel, <down> moves me down ie. Set Filters to Galaxy Map to System map

It's just that I don't know how to select the two different roles for these keys. By default, they only work for moving up or down and don't change Power Management values irrespective of which cockpit view I'm looking at.

So .......... how do I get <up>, <down> and <right> to change power management values. Thanks.

PIP settings are a direct control like Throttle or Landing Gear, you don’t need to be in any particular panel, though it is probably best to be where you can see the three columns so you can be sure you have set what you wanted.
Thanks. See my response in post #270.

The 4 units of tea were all I had room for and didn't have room for the packages of oil from the other 3 missions. So I canceled those missions.
BIt of a lesson here. Because my cargo hold is so bloody small, it doesn't pay to transfer solid items. There's no bloody room for anything! Ha!
Especially with my Sidewinder. I need to stick to electronic data transfers. They don't take up much space.

OK! ....... OK! ....... I can hear you say: " We told you so !!! " :ROFLMAO:

No apology needed, thanks for contributing. (y)
In my case, the keys I have set to adjust power management are: <down> SYS ..... <up> ENG ..... right> WEP.
However these same keys have an alternative role: <down> moves me down in the upfront cockpit view ie. Refuel to Support Services to Auto Launch and likewise, if I'm in the NAV Panel, <down> moves me down ie. Set Filters to Galaxy Map to System map

It's just that I don't know how to select the two different roles for these keys. By default, they only work for moving up or down and don't change Power Management values irrespective of which cockpit view I'm looking at.

So .......... how do I get <up>, <down> and <right> to change power management values. Thanks.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but... ;)

In my experience the game won't let you assign a keystroke to two controls that might conflict (you get a warning that a key is set to something else and can either choose to use it, which will delete the other assignment or cancel), so I'm guessing that in fact those arrow keys aren't actually assigned to pips anymore. The defaults for moving around the UI, which is what you are describing are AWSD but it sounds as though you have changed them for the arrow keys.

So go in and check your control bindings. You can set whatever you want to control pips, whatever makes sense. As I said, I use a hat on my throttle. :)

In my experience the game won't let you assign a keystroke to two controls that might conflict (you get a warning that a key is set to something else and can either choose to use it, which will delete the other assignment or cancel), so I'm guessing that in fact those arrow keys aren't actually assigned to pips anymore. The defaults for moving around the UI, which is what you are describing are AWSD but it sounds as though you have changed them for the arrow keys.

So go in and check your control bindings. You can set whatever you want to control pips, whatever makes sense. As I said, I use a hat on my throttle. :)
Oh!!!!! Right!!!!!!
Yes, that's more than likely. Let me go and have a look .......

Oh!!!!! Right!!!!!!
Yes, that's more than likely. Let me go and have a look .......
But in the control binding page where are:
(1) 'pips control' adjusted?
(2) 'moving around the UI' adjusted?

I ask this simply so I go to the right sections in key bindings.
Thanks.

Last edited:
BIt of a lesson here. Because my cargo hold is so bloody small, it doesn't pay to transfer solid items. There's no bloody room for anything! Ha!
Especially with my Sidewinder. I need to stick to electronic data transfers. They don't take up much space.

OK! ....... OK! ....... I can hear you say: " We told you so !!! " :ROFLMAO:
You could have still done the other missions, it just means several trips.
If you are wanting to extract more value from the data courier runs, make sure you find some from Federation factions and gain reputation from them. That might mean moving to a different station. eddb.io can help you find Federation controlled systems, as can the ship's own navigation panel. The reputation gain contributes towards Federation Navy rank. When you have enough reputation to be promoted, a special Federation Navy mission will appear from a Federation faction. The mission could be anything from more data courier, or fetch and supply. If you ignore a navy contract you cannot do with a small cargo bay, a different one will pop up after a while that you could do.
If you want access to Sol (Earth), you need to make it to the 4th rank Petty Officer: https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Federation/Ranks

Higher ranks get you access to better Federation ships, but none of those ships are aimed at exploration - they are aimed at combat so not likely to be of interest to you or me. I stopped concentrating on Federation rank once I had access to Sol. I left on my Sagittarius A* expedition from Earth. I guess it was fun to see it, but there are many other more interesting things to see in the galaxy, so not necessarily worth "grinding" Federation rank just to get to Sol and Earth.

You could have still done the other missions, it just means several trips.
If you are wanting to extract more value from the data courier runs, make sure you find some from Federation factions and gain reputation from them. That might mean moving to a different station. eddb.io can help you find Federation controlled systems, as can the ship's own navigation panel. The reputation gain contributes towards Federation Navy rank. When you have enough reputation to be promoted, a special Federation Navy mission will appear from a Federation faction. The mission could be anything from more data courier, or fetch and supply. If you ignore a navy contract you cannot do with a small cargo bay, a different one will pop up after a while that you could do.
That is good stuff ! Thanks
If you want access to Sol (Earth),
Not yet, ........
you need to make it to the 4th rank Petty Officer: https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Federation/Ranks
...... but this is useful to know, thanks.
Higher ranks get you access to better Federation ships, but none of those ships are aimed at exploration - they are aimed at combat so not likely to be of interest to you or me. I stopped concentrating on Federation rank once I had access to Sol. I left on my Sagittarius A* expedition from Earth. I guess it was fun to see it, but there are many other more interesting things to see in the galaxy, so not necessarily worth "grinding" Federation rank just to get to Sol and Earth.
Yes ..... fully agree with this. Gaining a higher Federation ranking, will be for alternative reasons, not improving any combat performance.

So what does this mean ?
ED- Arrow Keys1.png

ED - Arrow keys2.png

Remember, it's the UI key selection that works, and I can't find where to get the pips key selection to work, even though they have precedence in the control binding section...... :(

Last edited:
So what does this mean ? Remember, it's the UI key selection that works, and I can't find where to get the pips key selection to work, even though they have precedence in the control binding section...... :(

As I said, if there's a conflict then the game doesn't allow you to set a keybinding, you'll either have the option to override what's already set (which will remove the conflicting binding) or cancel. No bindings have precedence. :) If you've set the arrow keys to navigate the UI they will no longer be set for power management.

So, I've fired the game up specially for you ;) I'm assuming you are in Odyssey.

UI mappings are under Options > Controls > General Controls > Interface Mode (Expand this and you will see them all.)

Pip (power) management is under Options > Controls > Ship Controls > Miscellaneous (Expand this and you will see the three 'divert power to' mappings which allows you set pips for your specific requirements and the 'balance power to systems' which resets pips to two to each capacitor.)

So what does this mean ?
View attachment 264075
View attachment 264077
Remember, it's the UI key selection that works, and I can't find where to get the pips key selection to work, even though they have precedence in the control binding section...... :(
OK ....... "there's more than one way of skinning a cat" 😉
What I've done is reassigned different keys to activate Power Management. ie. SYS to ENG to WEP to RST
It doesn't matter what the keys are, but I now can move around the UI Panels with the ARROW keys and adjust Power Management with 4 different keys. (y)
As 'Faded Glory' suggested and others agreed with.
However, I'm still "miffed" as to why the ARROW keys didn't adjust power management values as they were Control Binding set to do. :mad:
Any help to resolve it would be appreciated. :p

Top Bottom