Newcomer / Intro My Return to ED ......

Now ....... back to pilot training! Think I've got basic flight, docking, and travel successfully covered. (y) Now for ....... Combat. :(
Hi Martind.
I left you out of the list in post #97. It was deliberate. :oops: I'm not sure why .... :unsure: I'd be surprised if you weren't watching ...... ;) I just see you differently ..... (y) Maybe because of our CF2.0 days; maybe because I'm here because of you; maybe because I spell Martind "etc" ....... :D
Take care.

As crib3 suggested I am saying this is an opportunity to ride on a Fleet Carrier to the to center of the galaxy so you do not have to fly there yourself. If you want to do this in a Hauler - go for it. You can swap between Solo mode and Open mode whenever you like.
Oooh! 😮 Hadn't realized that. That's good. (y)
In an open mode play session I can come and visit you.
(y)(y)(y)
You can show me something(s) you've discovered. I was planning on flying 12,000ly from Colonia to join this expedition anyway, but meeting up with you would be an added incentive 😉
The tricky bit is my online play sessions tend to be unplanned and random, but I managed to get online without someone else once who was helping me to figure out core mining.

The link I am talking about is posted earlier to the forum thread about "Expedition with a twist" and I shared the Fleet Carrier name and location above.
Someone else quite new was planning to go in a Cobra.
Do I need to search for the link or are you still going to show me it, as you suggested?

Oooh! 😮 Hadn't realized that. That's good. (y)

(y)(y)(y)

Do I need to search for the link or are you still going to show me it, as you suggested?
Sorry I was typing on my phone where copying links is a bit trickier.
Here is the Expedition with a twist link again from #95

This is the Fleet Carrier and location, somewhere in the bubble:
USS Saratoga is in orbit around Skardee 1

This is where the Fleet Carrier will fly to and be station for the 6 months:
ZUNAO KU-D D13-3764

Personally I'm not in it to win any prizes on offer - I don't see myself sticking with it for 6 months, probably a few weeks is enough for me.

So that you are not chasing round in circles putting the Hauler together later, here is a suggested build for the Hauler and a link to the places where you can buy all the parts in one station:
If you have credits to spare for a 3A Fuel Scoop you could upgrade from the 3C to scoop faster. Any Refuel time under 40 seconds to fill the tank is good, though.

On the next form, where it says Reference System, enter the name of the system you are in and click Find Stations and it will show you the closest stations to you that sell this Hauler build:
This is how you find things you want to buy without wasting a lot of time flying around to different stations.

So that you are not chasing round in circles putting the Hauler together later, here is a suggested build for the Hauler and a link to the places where you can buy all the parts in one station:
If you have credits to spare for a 3A Fuel Scoop you could upgrade from the 3C to scoop faster. Any Refuel time under 40 seconds to fill the tank is good, though.

On the next form, where it says Reference System, enter the name of the system you are in and click Find Stations and it will show you the closest stations to you that sell this Hauler build:
This is how you find things you want to buy without wasting a lot of time flying around to different stations.
I'll come back to this post later, but thank you. Need to focus on Combat Training ....... :p

Sorry I was typing on my phone where copying links is a bit trickier.
Here is the Expedition with a twist link again from #95

This is the Fleet Carrier and location, somewhere in the bubble:
USS Saratoga is in orbit around Skardee 1

This is where the Fleet Carrier will fly to and be station for the 6 months:
ZUNAO KU-D D13-3764

Personally I'm not in it to win any prizes on offer - I don't see myself sticking with it for 6 months, probably a few weeks is enough for me.
'On your phone' ..... 'bit trickier' ....... Haa! ...... that must be an understatement.
Particularly if you were me, who only uses his smartphone to make calls and send SMS's, full stop. ;)
Again, I'll come back to this post shortly, although it's very tempting to have a look now ........ No! Mustn't! .....:mad:

Yes one step at a time, this can be for a bit later.
Something else for your to do later but before leaving for the expedition list - gathering a few raw and manufactured materials so you can synthesis heat sink launcher "ammo", and SRV repairs, fuel and ammo and not have to fly back to the carrier so often for SRV refuel, repair and restock. Best to be in the Hauler before tackling this subject. Needs a few hours of play time to accomplish.

Update on Fleet Carrier expedition just came in (for later reference ;) :

I'll come back to this post later, but thank you. Need to focus on Combat Training ....... :p
Hmmmm. :mad:
I'm using my mouse to move the ship about. Turning left, moving up, etc. But unless I continually keep moving the mouse, the ship won't keep turning.
Example: If I continually want the ship turning right, I have to continually keep moving the mouse right.
That wouldn't be the case if I was using a Joystick, as by just pushing the joystick to the right, and holding it there, the ship would​
continually keep turning to the right. With the mouse, I am constantly having moving it to the right, to keep the ship turning right, which makes combat​
a lot harder than if I was using a joystick. How do I get the mouse to operate in a similar way to a joystick?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm using my mouse to move the ship about. Turning left, moving up, etc. But unless I continually keep moving the mouse, the ship won't keep turning.
Example: If I continually want the ship turning right, I have to continually keep moving the mouse right.
That wouldn't be the case if I was using a Joystick, as by just pushing the joystick to the right, and holding it there, the ship would​
continually keep turning to the right. With the mouse, I am constantly having moving it to the right, to keep the ship turning right, which makes combat​
a lot harder than if I was using a joystick. How do I get the mouse to operate in a similar way to a joystick?
Thanks.
Something must be off with control bindings. The starting control bindings are almost unplayable for combat e.g. I use middle roller button on mouse for throttle and thrust up on W and down on S which is important in combat. I also invert pitch on mouse so it's more like an aircraft joystick. I could find a way to share my key bindings files with you, but that would have to be sometime tomorrow.

Thanks.
Ooooh! I seemed to have fixed it. :giggle:
I've set the 'Mouse x-axis' to 'Roll' and the 'Mouse y axis' to 'Pitch'.
That means I don't turn left and right; I first Roll and then Pitch up or down.
In fact, that's what a joystick does. You roll left and right and pitch up and down. You don't "turn left and right". Embarrassing ....... how stupid can I get ......... :sick::sneaky:

Something must be off with control bindings. The starting control bindings are almost unplayable for combat e.g. I use middle roller button on mouse for throttle and thrust up on W and down on S which is important in combat. I also invert pitch on mouse so it's more like an aircraft joystick. I could find a way to share my key bindings files with you, but that would have to be sometime tomorrow.
Thanks Quain, I've "fixed" it as you can see by my embarrassing response above. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm ..... I like that. Another stupid question: where do you set the mouse middle roller button to do that?
In the Increase Thrust / Accelerate (forgot it's name) setting, instead of pressing a key, click the middle mouse roller button one click forward. For Decrease, one click backward. Then there is a setting on how much to increase/descrease by which is probably set to continuous that needs to be set on 10% per click or 12.5% throttle per click. Takes forever to increase/descrease thrust when set to continuous.

I set the middle mouse roller to + mouse z axis and - mouse z axis but it did nothing. However I didn't change the incremental change away from "Continuous". Let me try that .... standby ......

Well, thank God that training mission is over ! Just as well I'm not training to be a fighter pilot ! I'd be hopeless ! :p
Interesting. I had a look on Google for ED K&M setups. Some really clever ones, but basically targetted at combat situations, which of course doesn't interest me. However, I hope I'm good enough to take down some of those pirates I'm likely to meet. :sneaky:

Well, thank God that training mission is over ! Just as well I'm not training to be a fighter pilot ! I'd be hopeless ! :p
Interesting. I had a look on Google for ED K&M setups. Some really clever ones, but basically targetted at combat situations, which of course doesn't interest me. However, I hope I'm good enough to take down some of those pirates I'm likely to meet. :sneaky:
Basic ship manoeuvring keyboard set up that works for combat is also good for any ship role. Some of the moves I learned for combat makes it quicker and easier to land an exploration ship with no docking computer fitted in a space station manually. Also good for core mining which I do a little of sometimes.
It's about moving around an object while facing towards it and using up or down thrust so you ship is not actually traveling in the direction it's pointing, but up or down or even sideways so you can see when you are lined up on a target such as the station mailslot.

Edit: The difficulty level of pirates you meet is tuned to your combat rank. So you will get pirates easier than the combat tutorials, but they won't fight you if you have no cargo.

Basic ship manoeuvring keyboard set up that works for combat is also good for any ship role. Some of the moves I learned for combat makes it quicker and easier to land an exploration ship with no docking computer fitted in a space station manually. Also good for core mining which I do a little of sometimes.
It's about moving around an object while facing towards it and using up or down thrust so you ship is not actually traveling in the direction it's pointing, but up or down or even sideways so you can see when you are lined up on a target such as the station mailslot.
Yes. I see 'Flight Assist' on or off has a bit to do with that.
Edit: The difficulty level of pirates you meet is tuned to your combat rank. So you will get pirates easier than the combat tutorials, but they won't fight you if you have no cargo.
(y)

Yes. I see 'Flight Assist' on or off has a bit to do with that.

(y)
These moves don't need flight assist off.
I only use FA off briefly with a boost and a down thrust and a pitch up to force the Anaconda faster through a turn in combat. The Krait II is more agile and so FA off is not needed so much, but the other parts of the turn are. The Sidewinder is so quick to turn I doubt it needs these tricks to keep guns on target. Months since I last flew a Sidewinder and I'm hardly a combat expert 😅

Top Bottom