Newcomer / Intro Need advice on combat ship

The bounty was put on me in the Colonia System, I went to an adjoining system that Jaques or the Colonia Council had no presence in using EDDB, I went to an asteroid base called Moore's Charm and immediately tried to pay the bounty, I couldn't and it said that my notoriety was too high, to come back when it diminished. I minimized the game for a while sitting in the ship and when I returned I was allowed to pay the bounty.

I'm sorry nobody want's to hear about it, I am truly trying to make sense of all this, I'll let this thread die now and stop asking so many questions. You guy's have been a huge help, sorry for being such a n00b.
So you're a murderer (since that's how you get notoriety)?

Excellent, we always need more like you. Anyway, system security aren't a big deal if you have engineers unlocked and you know how to build ships (which comes with time and also robbing ideas from other players- I'm certainly not criticising you for being a new player, we all had to start somewhere). So I suppose the easiest thing is ask where you are with your build at the moment.

It also might be worth trying out the compromised nav beacon at Magellan, if only because it's a neutron star- the view is spectacular and it saves you the bother of dealing with system security.

The bounty was put on me in the Colonia System, I went to an adjoining system that Jaques or the Colonia Council had no presence in using EDDB, I went to an asteroid base called Moore's Charm and immediately tried to pay the bounty, I couldn't and it said that my notoriety was too high, to come back when it diminished. I minimized the game for a while sitting in the ship and when I returned I was allowed to pay the bounty.

I'm sorry nobody want's to hear about it, I am truly trying to make sense of all this, I'll let this thread die now and stop asking so many questions. You guy's have been a huge help, sorry for being such a n00b.
I think d8veh's point was that you can spend that 'notoriety cooldown time' hunting pirates in another system. If the system security ships are from a different faction than the one that put the bounty on you, they don't care. You can tell by looking for the red WANTED warning above your fuel gauge. If you aren't wanted in your current location you should be ok.

He was saying that in areas like Compromised Nav Beacons and Hazardous RES (HAZ RES) there are no security ships so none of the NPCs there would be interested in shooting you for the bounty, not that nobody was interested in hearing about your efforts to try and understand the arcane aspects of the game.

Keep asking questions until you get to the stage where you are one of those answering them.

I think d8veh's point was that you can spend that 'notoriety cooldown time' hunting pirates in another system. If the system security ships are from a different faction than the one that put the bounty on you, they don't care. You can tell by looking for the red WANTED warning above your fuel gauge. If you aren't wanted in your current location you should be ok.
Ah, ok, I'm glad he's not annoyed with me, I have a lot of respect for him, in fact, all of you. I miss read his post.

0threeleven, I am glad to see that you have started with bounty-hunting well enough. I have been reading your journey thus far, and I am responding mostly because:
  1. Earlier, Rock Hunter described the same methods in the context of an Alliance Chieftain which I use in a Mamba.
  2. My own topic regarding Fragment Cannons was then referenced.
I want to show these ideas to you and describe a few of the finer details, for I have yet to find anything which surpasses it. The only major problem, as also mentioned earlier and as the purpose of my topic, is that class 3 gimbal Fragment Cannons are broken in Horizons at present.

The first important point from earlier was that inducing a collision to remove some or all of the shield, which I call a stab, does not provoke hostility. Set four to SYS when it occurs, so that you spend only a little of your shield in doing it. Here is an example of that, and also of causing a power plant detonation with most of the hull intact:

Connecting with a target or similar or larger size, which I call a grapple, and dispensing Fragment Cannons to the Power Plant:

Some more recent examples of Fragment Cannons to the Power Plant, which I made using Odyssey specifically to demonstrate that which cannot be done to the same effect in Horizons at the moment:

For the full guide which covers the ideas, flying, targeting and shooting, see Fast, fierce and effective bounty-hunting with a Mamba.

This method is not for everyone necessarily, though you may find it at least to your peripheral interest, and if you are not already using your Landing Gear then I recommend strongly the Aviation chapter if nothing else. Again though, as of just over a month ago the actual combat method is broken for Horizons; if the above is something you want and Odyssey is not an option, you are a Commander on whose behalf I have been pushing for a fix (see Bug: Class 3 Fragment Cannons now fail to deploy.).

CMDR Aleks Zuno
Imperial Navy Intervention and Rescue

In case of misunderstanding. I'm only trying to help by explaining how to deal with a bounty without having to waste time waiting/hiding. I don't judge anybody. We've all been through this and I know how complicated it is for a new player, but once you understand it, it's pretty simple. Let me try and make it clearer:

1. Get a bounty in a high, low, medium RES, nav beacon or anywhere where there are police
- immediately run away and get into supercruise
- fly to another sytem that has somewhere where you can farm pirates
- if you have notoriety (murder) carry on farming in the new system until your notoriety expires
- find an interstellar Factor in any low security system with a station or out post and pay off the bounty
- go back to where you started as if nothing happened. Nobody cares anymore about what you did.

2 get a bounty in a haz RES or compromised nav beacon
- carry on as if nothing happened. Nobody cares about what you did.
- after any notoriety has expired, find an IF and pay it off

The main point is that there are no police (green ships) in a haz RES or CNB, so nobody will care that you got the bounty, otherwise fly to a new system where your bounty doesn't count and nobody cares about it other than occasional bounty hunters will try to interdict you. If you fight them, you must wait until they shoot you first because they're often clean until they do that, and you don't want to get another bounty. They can also turn up in the new RES, where you're farming, so always scan ships and don't shoot until you've confirmed that they're wanted unless they're already red.

if you are not already using your Landing Gear then I recommend strongly the Aviation chapter if nothing else.
What's that about landing gear? There was a myth floating around in the days of Robigo smuggling that deploying landing gear would slow you down more quickly, like an air brake. It was subsequently debunked. I tested it myself and found no difference. In other words deploying landing gear is the same as reducing throttle. What do you know that I don't?

In case of misunderstanding. I'm only trying to help by explaining how to deal with a bounty without having to waste time waiting/hiding. I don't judge anybody. We've all been through this and I know how complicated it is for a new player, but once you understand it, it's pretty simple. Let me try and make it clearer:

1. Get a bounty in a high, low, medium RES, nav beacon or anywhere where there are police
- immediately run away and get into supercruise
- fly to another sytem that has somewhere where you can farm pirates
- if you have notoriety (murder) carry on farming in the new system until your notoriety expires
- find an interstellar Factor in any low security system with a station or out post and pay off the bounty
- go back to where you started as if nothing happened. Nobody cares anymore about what you did.

2 get a bounty in a haz RES or compromised nav beacon
- carry on as if nothing happened. Nobody cares about what you did.
- after any notoriety has expired, find an IF and pay it off

The main point is that there are no police (green ships) in a haz RES or CNB, so nobody will care that you got the bounty, otherwise fly to a new system where your bounty doesn't count and nobody cares about it other than occasional bounty hunters will try to interdict you. If you fight them, you must wait until they shoot you first because they're often clean until they do that, and you don't want to get another bounty. They can also turn up in the new RES, where you're farming, so always scan ships and don't shoot until you've confirmed that they're wanted unless they're already red.
I understand what you mean, I can still keep playing if I'm not known or recognized in another system. My apologizes for being "thin skinned", I sometimes feel like a pest with all the questions. Thank you for being so patient.
0threeleven, I am glad to see that you have started with bounty-hunting well enough. I have been reading your journey thus far, and I am responding mostly because:
  1. Earlier, Rock Hunter described the same methods in the context of an Alliance Chieftain which I use in a Mamba.
  2. My own topic regarding Fragment Cannons was then referenced.
I want to show these ideas to you and describe a few of the finer details, for I have yet to find anything which surpasses it. The only major problem, as also mentioned earlier and as the purpose of my topic, is that class 3 gimbal Fragment Cannons are broken in Horizons at present.

The first important point from earlier was that inducing a collision to remove some or all of the shield, which I call a stab, does not provoke hostility. Set four to SYS when it occurs, so that you spend only a little of your shield in doing it. Here is an example of that, and also of causing a power plant detonation with most of the hull intact:

Connecting with a target or similar or larger size, which I call a grapple, and dispensing Fragment Cannons to the Power Plant:

Some more recent examples of Fragment Cannons to the Power Plant, which I made using Odyssey specifically to demonstrate that which cannot be done to the same effect in Horizons at the moment:

For the full guide which covers the ideas, flying, targeting and shooting, see Fast, fierce and effective bounty-hunting with a Mamba.

This method is not for everyone necessarily, though you may find it at least to your peripheral interest, and if you are not already using your Landing Gear then I recommend strongly the Aviation chapter if nothing else. Again though, as of just over a month ago the actual combat method is broken for Horizons; if the above is something you want and Odyssey is not an option, you are a Commander on whose behalf I have been pushing for a fix (see Bug: Class 3 Fragment Cannons now fail to deploy.).

CMDR Aleks Zuno
Imperial Navy Intervention and Rescue
Those are some really cool videos, very aggressive bounty hunting. I've never heard of the frag cannon, it looks as though it deals massive amounts of damage up close. I like how you took out that Corvette, probably surprised the hell out of them. I'll check all that out, make different builds and experiment with them, thank you!

Edit: I bounce back and forth between Odessey and Horizons, when Odessey gets real slow, I'll switch back to Horizons. Sense the last patch, things seem much better now, I should just stay with Odessey (I also upgraded to a 3080 card).

Last edited:
What's that about landing gear? There was a myth floating around in the days of Robigo smuggling that deploying landing gear would slow you down more quickly, like an air brake. It was subsequently debunked. I tested it myself and found no difference. In other words deploying landing gear is the same as reducing throttle. What do you know that I don't?
I just read the linked info. "Boost attenuation". Holy fup. Mind blown. Will have to try it now. I bow again to the amazing flying of @Aleks Zuno!

Use the Landing Gear during a boost; you will get:
  • Full boost acceleration and rotation, the same as without it.
  • Limited speed due to boosting, leaving you in the blue zone when you retract the gear.
  • Greatly enhanced laterals due to gear, which lets you boost sideways.
Combine that with disabling Flight Assist for the first half of the boost interval and enabling it for the second half, and I found that I can trigger a boost first then decide which direction and rotation I want afterwards. It is also how I remain on-target, and I use it on multiple occasions in those videos I listed.

For a slower specific example, try watching https://iniv.space/s/hLLUoh.mp4 and look carefully around half-way.
The original purpose of this video was to separate the matters of Shields and the Power Plant, but the important part here is how I used Landing Gear during a boost just as the target otherwise would escape. Without the Landing Gear, that boost would have sent the Hailstorm soaring away at 600 speed.

I invite you to read Aviation, the second chapter of my bounty-hunting guide, for a complete analysis of boosting, rotation during boost, the effects of Flight Assist during boost, and Landing Gear during boost.

I found that I can trigger a boost first then decide which direction and rotation I want afterwards.
This is just... wonderful. Hope I can master it myself.
It is also how I remain on-target, and I use it on multiple occasions in those videos I listed.
Ahhh, I didn't spot that, but with all of the pixels on screen I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that nobody else did either.
used Landing Gear during a boost just as the target otherwise would escape. Without the Landing Gear, that boost would have sent the Hailstorm soaring away at 600 speed.
I have wished for a way to limit boost. It's so brutal that I find myself unable to really use it much during combat, until now.

Honestly, were it not for the irredeemably unphysical flight model in ED, I'd be calling your flying an exploit! As things stand however, it's more in the realms of cleverly working around the game's limitations :)

Use the Landing Gear during a boost; you will get:
  1. Full boost acceleration and rotation, the same as without it.
  2. Limited speed due to boosting, leaving you in the blue zone when you retract the gear.
  3. Greatly enhanced laterals due to gear, which lets you boost sideways.
  1. As long as you boost then deploy.
  2. With the landing gear deployed after pressing boost the maximum speed is halved as it is on normal thrust with the gear down, being left in the blue zone afterwards is dependent on when you retract the gear to an extent that would make me uncomfortable in combat (I don't like things that require good timing from me).
  3. I haven't managed to see any difference in laterals gear up or down, I was always under the impression that the laterals were boosted just like rotation when boosting.

Wait, lowering landing gear makes the lateral thrusters stronger? I'll try that next time I'm mining.

It also limits your controls in other ways which are either less applicable or not applicable during a boost. By all means try things, though consider that I only recommend the Landing Gear while the boost effect is present.

1. As long as you boost then deploy.
  2. With the landing gear deployed after pressing boost the maximum speed is halved as it is on normal thrust with the gear down, being left in the blue zone afterwards is dependent on when you retract the gear to an extent that would make me uncomfortable in combat (I don't like things that require good timing from me).
  3. I haven't managed to see any difference in laterals gear up or down, I was always under the impression that the laterals were boosted just like rotation when boosting.

1–2: Obviously, yes; I cover all of that in Aviation. Disliking the use of timing is a personal barrier to overcome if can you find the passion to do so.
3: Qualitatively, it is as if the forward is diminished, therefore the laterals represent a higher proportion, therefore the direction is closer to perpendicular. Either way, laterals are extremely effective during a Landing Gear boost.

Top Bottom