Odyssey as pc only.

If, as you surmise, there is not the 'skill' within the business to continue successfully, what other option is there but to abandon failing product, using the available 'skill' in product where reasonable success might be expected.

As you suggest... No skill, no product...

Really was last year that demoralising?

I skipped it. So for me it was launch to update 9, and on my “recommended” spec hardware there was definitely an improvement. It went from unplayable to playable… I guess if you have better hardware and nothings changed for the entire duration it would be frustrating sure.

It probably also helps being more cynical rather than frontier fawning, the monster shader and still no culling optimisation to me is on par with the rest of their development, not a new sign of doom. They’ve always been this able…. Guess we all have to go through the frontier experience. Welcome RC :) get it off your chest. Don’t worry about the player hating gang, it is how it is.

I've been along for the ride for the last 6 years, but even for FDev's standards the latter half of 2021 was pretty abysmal.

Really? I can’t imagine it any worse than their “standard”. Basically maintaining the condition where communications only works if you’re a white knight, for everyone else looking at reality it’s a massively disconnected frustration to outright misrepresentation. But again it’s always been like this. You can turn off and go play what you like.

I think I know what happened to RC.. he made the same mistake as obiw and me, spent enough on elite via multiple copies of odd that he started expecting something in return. Dangerous line to cross that one too. Impossible to knight again after that one. :)

Really? I can’t imagine it any worse than their “standard”. Basically maintaining the condition where communications only works if you’re a white knight, for everyone else looking at reality it’s a massively disconnected frustration to outright misrepresentation. But again it’s always been like this. You can turn off and go play what you like.

I think I know what happened to RC.. he made the same mistake as obiw and me, spent enough on elite via multiple copies of odd that he started expecting something in return. Dangerous line to cross that one too. Impossible to knight again after that one.

Or how about he just enjoys a game for what it is 🤷‍♂️

Imagine still defending this company from the fans at this point. The soda is flat.
We got John Lennon jumping in here trying to keep up the FDev bad side of things. I'm just trying to keep it fair, it could be argued why some are so adamant at trying to spread FUD about Frontier and Elite, especially feeling like you need to jump in, is it a tag team thing now? It is interesting though why some feel like attacking FDev should be the default position and that being fair and trying to keep things positive on the game's official forum is somehow weird.

Secondly, not giving dedicated console players any news what so ever, even negative onces, and ghosting them in the manner Frontier has for this amount of time is an absolutely unforgivable stance from a communications standpoint. It's simply poor form and my personal guess is that some players have given up the game for this reason alone. Perhaps that was a tactic even, like dropping an underwhelming date you met on Tinder. Even so, it's utterly bad manners. Frontier likely isn't listening and probably don't even care. All the same, they can't treat some of their customers like children and feel good about themselves at the end of the day. These customers maybe lost now but the silly thing is that with very little effort Frontier could (well, still can to some extent) prevent that with a few words of acknowledgement.
I pretty much agree barring this part as FDev have continually acknowledged and addressed console players' questions. What more is to be said when the answer given isn't accepted and the question just incessantly repeated expecting a different response? And even though the answer remains the same, and understandably so with the still optimization process ongoing, to then suggest that FDev remain silent is not an accurate portrayal of the situation, though drama for clicks merchants would maybe have us believe differently.

If, as you surmise, there is not the 'skill' within the business to continue successfully, what other option is there but to abandon failing product, using the available 'skill' in product where reasonable success might be expected.

As you suggest... No skill, no product...
I am not fully sure that you are suggesting that dropping the console ports would also spell the end for the PC version too? If so, I would disagree in that there are game franchises that have outlived console generations and still continue. It could be accurately worded that resources spent on the last generation console versions would be better suited in strengthening the core franchise on the PC and projections on userbase due to chip shortages etc..for the next the next generation consoles calls for a wait and see approach. Odyssey on PC is weathering the storm of the launch and I would imagine even offering a discount on the expansion to move console owners the PC, with full migration path, could be seen as a positive move in the right direction, I mean that's going to have to happen at some point in the future as the PS4 & Xbox One move out of commercial viability.

Elite is only one part of the financial picture, and the smaller one at that, more press was given the less than anticipated success of Jurassic World 2, though all analysis I've read from that aspect has put it due to the COVID 'bubble' bursting and the fact that the movie it's tied into has been delayed which undoubtedly would have an effect on sales, which they're projecting will be somewhat recouped once the movie actually releases this year.

Deleted member 182079

D
I think I know what happened to RC.. he made the same mistake as obiw and me, spent enough on elite via multiple copies of odd that he started expecting something in return. Dangerous line to cross that one too. Impossible to knight again after that one. :)
Just want to clarify that you got the wrong end of the stick there - my regrets around spending too much money on Elite are not caused by anything other than the cosmetic items looking rather different or being downright broken in Odyssey.

I'm actually quite enjoying my time in the game again over the past month or so - despite Odyssey's numerous shortcomings - my stance on buying Arx hasn't changed however and probably won't again after what they did. But I'm not bitter about not getting specific content just because I fell into the microtransaction rabbit hole.

Just want to clarify that you got the wrong end of the stick there - my regrets around spending too much money on Elite are not caused by anything other than the cosmetic items looking rather different or being downright broken in Odyssey.

I'm actually quite enjoying my time in the game again over the past month or so - despite Odyssey's numerous shortcomings - my stance on buying Arx hasn't changed however and probably won't again after what they did. But I'm not bitter about not getting specific content just because I fell into the microtransaction rabbit hole.

Oh sure. I never cared about specific features, but i did at least expect a game without user facing cosmetic bugs. Never got it. Arx stopped. Away we go.

Can you believe the bug where the docking ui switched back to the refueling icon was around for more than 6 months? They still havent fixed the docking computer incorrect vocal prompts on carriers (it works fine in stations, was fixed there too in a distant past).

Deleted member 182079

D
Oh sure. I never cared about specific features, but i did at least expect a game without user facing cosmetic bugs. Never got it. Arx stopped. Away we go.

Can you believe the bug where the docking ui switched back to the refueling icon was around for more than 6 months? They still havent fixed the docking computer incorrect vocal prompts on carriers (it works fine in stations, was fixed there too in a distant past).
If it's about expecting a game that largely () works as intended then yeah guilty as charged. I get that bugs exist but I do have a tolerance threshold for them, and Elite is way beyond it - not been like that forever but it's been a steady decline since 3.3 and culminated with EDO's release. So it's not about what I want them to add, but what they do add is of decent quality.

The number of bugs and visual glitches and issues, and that still includes performance in several situations after so many months is still overwhelming. I'm arriving at the stage where I just try to enjoy what is there because I don't believe it'll change all that fundamentally from now on in. And it does have its moments but it's best to not think too much about "what it could've been" as that way does indeed just lie disappointment and regret.

I pretty much agree barring this part as FDev have continually acknowledged and addressed console players' questions. What more is to be said when the answer given isn't accepted and the question just incessantly repeated expecting a different response? And even though the answer remains the same, and understandably so with the still optimization process ongoing, to then suggest that FDev remain silent is not an accurate portrayal of the situation, though drama for clicks merchants would maybe have us believe differently.
I would disagree with them answering the questions console wise . Unless I missed it .
What is an optimised PC ?
What is the level of optimisation to start looking at console ?
Neither of these questions have been answered . And have largely been ignored .
Think of it as a bingo card as things get fixed then broke then fixed I can see Edo getting closer to be worked on for console .

Really was last year that demoralising?
According to your post, yes. I assume you managed to miss the reference to your assessment?
I skipped it. So for me it was launch to update 9, and on my “recommended” spec hardware there was definitely an improvement. It went from unplayable to playable… I guess if you have better hardware and nothings changed for the entire duration it would be frustrating sure.
Yes, there were improvements, well spotted!

Quite surprising from a company that you consider have no skill, isn't it?
It probably also helps being more cynical rather than frontier fawning, the monster shader and still no culling optimisation to me is on par with the rest of their development, not a new sign of doom. They’ve always been this able…. Guess we all have to go through the frontier experience. Welcome RC :) get it off your chest. Don’t worry about the player hating gang, it is how it is.
Gosh! I should have realised that your comprehension skill might be as low as that you had suggested Frontier were in posession of...

I am not fully sure that you are suggesting that dropping the console ports would also spell the end for the PC version too? If so, I would disagree in that there are game franchises that have outlived console generations and still continue. It could be accurately worded that resources spent on the last generation console versions would be better suited in strengthening the core franchise on the PC and projections on userbase due to chip shortages etc..for the next the next generation consoles calls for a wait and see approach. Odyssey on PC is weathering the storm of the launch and I would imagine even offering a discount on the expansion to move console owners the PC, with full migration path, could be seen as a positive move in the right direction, I mean that's going to have to happen at some point in the future as the PS4 & Xbox One move out of commercial viability.

Elite is only one part of the financial picture, and the smaller one at that, more press was given the less than anticipated success of Jurassic World 2, though all analysis I've read from that aspect has put it due to the COVID 'bubble' bursting and the fact that the movie it's tied into has been delayed which undoubtedly would have an effect on sales, which they're projecting will be somewhat recouped once the movie actually releases this year.
Read the response in context...

My long-time friend suggested that there was a lack of ability causing the eventual downfall of the company... I simply made their comments more lucid, no longer shrouded in words to obfuscate the content.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:
I think I know what happened to RC.. he made the same mistake as obiw and me, spent enough on elite via multiple copies of odd that he started expecting something in return. Dangerous line to cross that one too. Impossible to knight again after that one.
Hmm... I stated clearly how much I have spent on this game, and made the point that I consider I had value, which continues - unlike your good self, it would appear.

@ObiW made the point that they had spend a good deal of € on cosmetics... indeed...

Shame about the knight comment, you were almost being sensible. 🤷‍♂️

According to your post, yes. I assume you managed to miss the reference to your assessment?

Yes, there were improvements, well spotted!

Quite surprising from a company that you consider have no skill, isn't it?

Gosh! I should have realised that your comprehension skill might be as low as that you had suggested Frontier were in posession of...

Are you kidding? Youve been suggesting all thread that they're not going to do the console version. I've been disagreeing with you every time, and now its my idea? Wow.

Are you kidding? Youve been suggesting all thread that they're not going to do the console version. I've been disagreeing with you every time, and now its my idea? Wow.
So you did not mention that Frontier had no skill?

Curious... I could swear you wrote:
When considering fundamental factors ontop of this, an event where a company is unable to perform its primary function purely due to lack of skill (management or technical same thing at that level) will be taken seriously as effecting future revenue. I don't think frontier are diversified enough in revenue (they only do games) for it to be just shrugged off
I must have been dreaming...

ETA: I do understand that english may not be your first language - but it doesn't take much comprehension of words to understand that the 'debate' with another poster about consoles was entirely due to "dark machinations if it is not released on console", which the poster was entirely unwilling to expand upon... Never mind, I expect no less.

Last edited:
Ok, last week of the month... start rolling the drums!! :p

Edit: deleted unecessary part of the post...

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
I'm glad I'm not a man into using cosmetics. Seems a bit shameful to fall for space horse armor. I'm just out 40bux.
Designing pretty much all spaceship skins in drab grey/brown/dark blue tones had the desired effect on me. And to be fair, I did enjoy most skins after I bought them in Horizons (there's a few exceptions but not gonna dwell on it). If you had asked me around this time last year I would've told you "no regrets at all".

The problem only arose when they switched the rendering engine and seemingly didn't bother to test how the skins would look afterwards, or they did and just shrugged it off with a view to fix them later (which they did for some, but not for a lot of others).

The regret comes from the realisation that these things can get shot to pieces from one moment to another and there's nothing I can do about it, apart from moaning about it here... and I guess stopping supporting such a business model, which I did. So in summary the real damage has been done to Frontier, and other companies employing a similar MT model for skins/cosmetics as I've learned my lesson from this the 'hard' way and will no longer spend money on these things in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom