Odyssey as pc only.

with what I've seen of a friends ps5. it will well handle odyssey. though he wont buy until vr headset is released :( as well as odyssey on the console.
missing out on a big market...

with what I've seen of a friends ps5. it will well handle odyssey. though he wont buy until vr headset is released :( as well as odyssey on the console.
missing out on a big market...
Well, if there isn't a VR headset on the PS5 yet, there's no rush for a console release either.

As long as they realised a small profit over their promotion costs (which appeared minimal) publishing, rather than developing, games makes some sense. The studios they promote will improve or fail, Frontier's exposure is minimal.

I wonder how badly the sales of Lemnis Gate was affected by the dismal launch of EDO? They were very close to each other.

IIRC the publisher is responsible for the marketing campaign and the distribution channels.
Which may mean a lot of money. If a game does not sell, the publisher is in for quite a loss too along with the developer.

IIRC the publisher is responsible for the marketing campaign and the distribution channels.
Which may mean a lot of money. If a game does not sell, the publisher is in for quite a loss too along with the developer.
I have the impression that the marketing campaign for Lemnis Gate was not on the scale of the major AAA studio releases...
I may be wrong, of course, as we are all speculating wildly throughout the discussion.

Odyssey as we know tends to take more PC resources than horizons. To subvert the fact that even brand new console hardware is much weaker than new PC hardware I say fdev should just say "console development is a no go, hardware on consoles is not at the level to support odyssey" Anyone can buy/ build a PC, esoecially as hardware gets more available and less expensive. A PC also opens the world of modding to the user (not in elite but other games), free multiplayer, upgradability, much more customization, higher performance, and just an overall drastically better experience. Many games are PC only, if u wanna play odyssey a PC is your ticket, otherwise you console players can still play horizons.
IMO this won't be a choice. Odyssey will never run on a PS4, and I have doubts it could even run smoothly on a PS5... Even if they manage to do it, updates will gradually dent the game, to the point where it becomes unsunstainable. I really wonder what Frontier will do, as letting go of consoles would be a blow and console gamers would be livid.

Exclusive sneak peak of EDO on PS4 - comparison shot!
Graea Hypue ZT-G c11-11.jpg

EDO Brain trees on PC!

spoofPS4.jpg

And... PS4 - amazing!

1642676086532.png

EDO: High CZ on PS4!

Last edited:
Maybe it would be feasible for Frontier to include just the Odyssey assets to Horizons on consoles/PC without the engine upgrade... I agree that Horizons graphics were starting to look outdated, but not sure if being unable to run as smooth or in that many variety of hardware was a good trade-off.

Maybe it would be feasible for Frontier to include just the Odyssey assets to Horizons on consoles/PC without the engine upgrade

Probably not. They probably had to redo code to place the settlements and stuff. And even in EDO that can be wonky. containers buried underground so you can't get the mission target, bodies floating in the air or half submerged.

Is an intel i7 extreme CPU with 10 cores and 20 threads comparable with an xbox/ps4 cpu?
The i7 5960X Extreme has 8Cores (16Threads) @3.5GHz base clock. Which does not makes it that much overpowered compared to the 8Cores (8Threads) PS4 once the Cobra Engine only uses up to 8Threads anyways (check your Windows Task Manager during your Horizons/Odyssey gameplay).

What I'm trying to say is that there's still a little hope, at least, that Frontier could be able to pull this off by having their CEO personally overseeing this issue...

The i7 5960X Extreme has 8Cores (16Threads) @3.5GHz base clock. Which does not makes it that much overpowered compared to the 8Cores (8Threads) PS4 once the Cobra Engine only uses up to 8Threads anyways (check your Windows Task Manager during your Horizons/Odyssey gameplay).

What I'm trying to say is that there's still a little hope, at least, that Frontier could be able to pull this off by having their CEO personally overseeing this issue...
Yes but only 1.6GHz and IPS is completely out of kilter compared to Intel Core architectures. Remember the HUGE performance gap that existed between Intel and AMD at that time.

lol ok

Just my opinion, but while I was amazed at what the predecessors of ED could do on computers with minimal resources, I’m amazed at what ED Odyssey can’t do given the available resources.

I definitely do, i think elite is great. If i didn't id just go around disrupting discussion that hopes to improve it and driving away honest people with a genuine concern so the playerbase gets smaller.
I mean, there's taking something seriously, and then taking something seriously. I can say I seriously enjoy Elite, but compared to what would be considered serious in real life, Elite is not really in that equation, and if it is (apart from those whose livelihoods depended on it to a lesser or greater degree), then possibly I'd wonder if Elite is being taken too seriously, and that can be a real fun killer.

It's like a football team, if you're expectations of your team are that the players should all be equal to the best of all time, playing at their peak, and anything less isn't good enough, well, you probably aren't going to enjoy watching any games they play, no matter how well they're doing. Nothing is perfect and you find your enjoyment where it is and we don't necessarily get to dictate how others find their enjoyment when playing an online multiplayer game or judge whether they're contributing to the downfall or rise of it either.

Going back to the football analogy, imagine that 'supporter' then going around telling everyone that they shouldn't support that team because it doesn't meet their exact requirements while claiming that it's all being done for the best of the team. It could be argued that they wouldn't technically be wrong in that their expectations would result in the greatest team of all time, but is it realistic? Of course not, and the constant complaining about how this or that should be better eventually gets real old, especially if that team is trying to boost morale after some temporary setbacks. When your team had a bad run or in a losing streak, not losing is a win in itself. We all have to climb up each rung to get to the top of the ladder.

So as a console player I agree , I bought a series X because I don't think Fdev can optimise to the last gen . I would be disappointed but not surprised if EDO was PC only .
If I was to upgrade to a PC EDO wouldn't be on my buy list to be honest ( even after all the years I've played Elite )
It would be nice to be told sooner than later but I also understand that with the disappointing results so far that they would want to keep Sturm for a bit .
Kinda puzzled by that, you would buy EDO for the Series X you bought, but not for the PC?

Kinda puzzled by that, you would buy EDO for the Series X you bought, but not for the PC?
To be truthful at the time i would have bought EDO for xbox ( i still believe EDO wont run on xbox one)and thought nothing of it ( many years of playing elite) also the QOL for EDH may have less affect on series x . Now I'm not sure .
If I was to buy a PC for gaming EDO would not be very high on the list if at all for various reasons ( i am not doing marco qwent again 🤣 ).
But i am an old grumpy git

Back
Top Bottom