ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

Am I disappointed? Yes. Am I surprised? No.

Given that we in the UK are in another lockdown, and it's expected to get more severe, then a delay is to be expected. The optimist in me hopes that the console's longer delay is so that can add more fancy stuff for the new generation. But I suspect that what ever is causing it is going to be pretty serious to cause them to split the player base. Would I have liked to get first footfall on a planet in the bubble with my PS5 commanders name on it? Yes, But I have a feeling that by the time they place their foot on a world then they would all have been taken.

really dont get that sentiment Ive seen mentioned a few times, anyone interested in getting their first footfall name on a planet are going to be CMDRs trying exploration, even after 5 years of the game we have barely visted what 0.04 % of systems or something ridiculous. The idea that they are going to be left out of exploration is ridiculous. I think the far bigger victim/headache will be the story arc revealing new content.

Ouch.....
With so much going on in the world nowadays, I kept telling myself "at least you'll have Odyssey to look forward to in early 2021". Now, that'll only be in the autumn (I play on Xbox). That's a real kick in the teeth, I don't mind telling you.

BUT!!!! I understand. Of course I do. We all do. Make it great. Take the time it needs.

....and maybe throw us some cool content every so often, just to keep us going? A new ship, perhaps?

Now have mercy and share us some nice screenshots of the current in-game development each week.

FDev starts doing a monthly segment called "From the Chairman" as an offering....

I'm a PC player and don't really like console gaming, but considering the shared galaxy in ED, I think it's too unfair to give us (PC players) a half-year advantage in marking planets with "first step".

So my suggestion is:
1. Delay PC release to make it the same day with consoles
2 PC team can spend the time to add ships interiors to PC only (console players should suffer, after all)
3. ...
4. Profit!

5. FDev begins ship sales, as an added means for profit...
6. ED is somehow reverted to Alpha state...

But seriously, jumping to release state obviously exposes issues that may have not been there before. The announcement, now, may mean they were very close to releasing this but did their test, things broke, and now the delay is needed to fix that stuff. I suspect something like this happened when they were going to release the new terrain stuff before, because it was really close to that release (wasn't it within a month?) when they had to pull the plug on that. It's great they're able to just be straight up with us and thanks for the heads up FDev!

So, basically when console players will get in, whole bubble will be covered in "First disembarked" marks
and all POIs as well

No, if we get any new kinda tags at all for few Odyssey planets there will be more for landing, I bet (because of experiences from previous major updates) that all tags in the colonized bubble will be removed finally even at those systems that still have them (mostly at edge of the bubble), because it feels silly that system and planets can be unexplored even though there are people living there, stations/bases and npc´s flying around...

Huh, that was (un)expected.
Ah well, glad I got plenty of other stuff to play with until then.

Tbh, I reckon they should release the Alpha now, let the player base test what's finished, have a play and feel, it would just give them more time for feedback and fixes.
Look at Star Citizen. It's been in Alpha for how many years? And players are still throwing 100s and 1000s of $$$ at it.
ED is way ahead of that curve, except it would get a solid test from the players.

Just my 2 cents.

Almost everyone has been working from home for the past 10 months. It's worked so well for many companies that many are considering keeping it as a permanent arrangement even after the pandemic to save on office rental costs.

Seriously, this is not an excuse that flies. 🤷‍♀️

I think you will find that is mainly coming from the typical corporate heirarchy of team silos following the same beaurocratic business "strategy" year in year out. Or the ones that have outsourced most of their high cost technical teams to cheap offshore areas where the loss in productivity and creativity is easily balanced on the accounts. The pressure for working from home here has always been from those who have to commute long distances and who have young families to look after. The young innovative tech industry that has sprung up in the inner cities in the last couple of decades following in the foot steps of media companies who spear-headed the urban regeneration of the 80s has basically thrived on flexibile, fun shared internal space. The office aint going to go away, people and businesses will get bored of work from home just as they got bored of the uninspired office-factory. We are barely a year into a once in a century pandemic and people are already talking about the end of the city, completely ridiculous but obviously the wet dream of the likes of "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells".

There's probably a difference between being the first cmdr that lands on a planet in Sol system and some random system 20k ly from the Bubble.
Let's face it, until console players get their chance to hop in, whole Bubble will be thoroughly scanned.

Why would you get a first footfall in Sol?!?!

As a long term player of Elite on console i feel this is a sure fire way to alienate your console player base. Not so long back we were promised parity on the updates. Now the length of this delay sends a clear message of the value that you place on us versus the PC players! Global situation aside, by the time we finally get Odyssey there will be nothing new to give that Neil Armstrong wow factor you continually mention. Completely dismayed by this announcement which makes me question whether to continue to support this game. It is also equally disappointing that you have made no mention of optimising the game for the next gen consoles which will be vitually 12 months old if and when you finally release this xbox one/ps4 update.

Last edited:
TBH I'm perfectly fine with the delay.

FDev please learn from the success of Obsidian's The Outer Worlds. Which was their public redemption for Fallout New Vegas. The Outer Worlds was the epitome of what a polished, bug free and optimized gaming experience is supposed to be from a professional gaming industry dev. Obsidian never put out a release date UNITL THE GAME WAS TRULY DONE.

Please take all the time you need to release a functional, stable game. Learn from the tragic mistakes of White Horse Studio's Kingdom Come Deliverance. And CDPR's ongoing horrific nightmare and PR fallout.

The absolute last thing we need to experience in 2021 is another overhyped CP 2077 time bomb. :cautious:

LAME
All this extra waiting better be worth it.
I really hope Frontier don't embarrass themselves by releasing a buggy, nigh-unplayable mess after giving themselves close to another year to work on the game.

Last edited:
I really do believe this is the end of the road for the game on consoles(ps4 and xbox1 anyway) the huge gap between releases says to me the complications getting it too console are greater than expected and at some point before the Autumn date set we'll get another update stating as much. I also feel a little sorry for PC users who have clearly been used with pre orders to boost the financial numbers. There's no way this news has just become evident to them today or yesterday, this announcement has clearly been in the pipeline for a while possibly even while releasing dev diaries which would explain the real lack of details in those diaries and the lack of proper answers to some of the AMA questions

:rolleyes: There are people really asking for an "explanation" as to why the game has been delayed? Seriously? Frontier doesn't need to explain anything. The only "explanation" anyone needs is Cyberpunk 2077. If they don't want a repeat of that catastrophe, then they need to cut it out with that that crap.
Meh. Everything Frontier releases is Cyberpunk 2077-tier no matter how long they delay, and they're much worse about fixing things than CDPR has been so far. It's never a scandal or catastrophe for Elite because nobody expects much in the first place. There's no foaming-at-the-mouth games journalists covering the game (seriously the game basically doesn't exist in the popular consciousness), and the audience is way smaller so it's never gonna be that big of an issue.
They're delaying because they have to, not because they've committed to somehow release a stable, feature complete, bug-free product for the first time ever.

The office aint going to go away, people and businesses will get bored of work from home just as they got bored of the uninspired office-factory. We are barely a year into a once in a century pandemic and people are already talking about the end of the city, completely ridiculous but obviously the wet dream of the likes of "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells".

Well, we'll see what happens I suppose. I know of several companies who have been strongly swayed by the notion of abandoning office space entirely (one told me that they're paying £120K per month for them and they lie vacant) and moving to a 'work-from-home' model. Also, before I left my last position, when restrictions were being lifted in the UK, they did a survey amongst all staff members on how they wanted to manage the "return-to-work" and something like 90% were happy to continue as is. I certainly was.

I don't think things will ever go quite back to the way they were pre-pandemic. Just don't see it. 🤷‍♀️

David Braben, Chief Executive, said:

"2020 was a hard year for a great many people because of the challenges of Covid-19. Despite this, and doubtless helped by lockdown boosting demand for screen-based entertainment around the world, we had a successful year through the hard work and adaptability of our talented teams. Our four great franchises have really long play times and engaging social aspects to them, which make them well-suited to lockdown.

We know that our Elite Dangerous community are looking forward to the arrival of Odyssey this year, and we're focussed on delivering the high quality experience that they expect and deserve. 2021 is set to be another great year for Frontier."

We deserve a high quality experience, David says so :)

Meh. Everything Frontier releases is Cyberpunk 2077-tier no matter how long they delay, and they're much worse about fixing things than CDPR has been so far. It's never a scandal or catastrophe for Elite because nobody expects much in the first place. There's no foaming-at-the-mouth games journalists covering the game (seriously the game basically doesn't exist in the popular consciousness), and the audience is way smaller so it's never gonna be that big of an issue.
They're delaying because they have to, not because they've committed to somehow release a stable, feature complete, bug-free product for the first time ever.

:unsure: Well, as far as I can see, Elite Dangerous runs at a smooth 30 fps on last gen consoles. It booted up just fine for one, didn't crash, and had little texture pop in among other things that plagues CP 2077 on last gen consoles. To say this isn't a fair comparison is a massive understatement. Elite Dangerous was always playable, CP 2077 wasn't.

Top Bottom