Planet Zoo: Europe Pack and Update 1.8 Out Now!

As lots of people has already said, this is truly one of the best updates (including the DLC content) so far, and most of the good points have already been mentioned by many people, so I'll start just remarking a couple of things that have greatly surprised me:
  • All the new non-grid wall pieces, smaller than 4 meters!? I can't express how much I needed them. Not only because of all those walls with a wide lesser than 4m that you couldn't build before, but now you could, for example, build an hexagon building without using 3 different buildings because the angle can't be smaller than 90 degrees.
  • The restaurant system really looks very clever! Good balance between versatile, easy to play and beautiful to the eye.
  • The "fix" of the cypress to grassland, along with the new Mediterranean foliage, makes me very happy, as now that region is not anymore the least represented from the big bioclimatic areas of the world. However, the European grassland map is still the same as the African savannah, I hope this can be changed in future updates.
  • Also, both very beautiful and useful the new bridges for climbing animals, very realistic, and saves you a lot of pieces and waste of time if you tried to replicate it in your own.
  • The new temperate exhibit for the salamander. It's always good to have new exhibit types... Now I only want more exhibit animals, there are so few!
Now, on the bad side:
  • It's a shame every time that Frontier designs an enrichment item that is very cool, very useful and very common in zoos but they just let use it to a tiny fraction of the animals that could. It already happened with the dingo pool (which should be usable by almost any small and medium animal in the game) and the tree hammock (which should be usable by almost every animal capable of climbing trees). Every update I hope this can be changed.
    I don't know why the new climbing mountain can't be used by the Dall sheep, which has the same behaviour than its close relative the Alpine ibex. The new burrow system should also be usable by a greater number of small and medium animals, at the very least meerkats, praire dogs and both foxes.
Actually Dall sheep can use the mountain. It’s in the tags for this enrichment item.

Despite the map, the European badger only shows European countries on the list and lacks the Asia tag.
Because of the contradiction, it’s confusing wether or not they include the Caucasian badger as a part of the European badger species or not…
I hope that they decide so, so people would be able to use Asian foliage with them.
I had created an issue for this: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/46129

Feel free to contribute!

You can have max of 7 badgers in one exibit (excluding the juveniles):
-7 males
-7 females
-1 male + 6 female
-1 female + 6 male
Awesome, thank you very much. I started with two because I wasn't quite clear on it, but the habitat is big enough for more.

I've said already many good things about the pack, but there is something I don't like and I think it's worth mentioning those things too. I don't understand why the animal signs come divided into pieces and we don't have one single piece of the whole animal. Having to make the puzzle every time seems odd (or being forced to make and use a blueprint). I could understand if we had a full animal + a head of the animal, but why would we want to have a piece that is a badger leg? or an ibex neck? or a lynx tale? We normally want to save pieces, not having to use 5 pieces to make a single animal sign.

I've said already many good things about the pack, but there is something I don't like and I think it's worth mentioning those things too. I don't understand why the animal signs come divided into pieces and we don't have one single piece of the whole animal. Having to make the puzzle every time seems odd (or being forced to make and use a blueprint). I could understand if we had a full animal + a head of the animal, but why would we want to have a piece that is a badger leg? or an ibex neck? or a lynx tale? We normally want to save pieces, not having to use 5 pieces to make a single animal sign.
Yea, I would be totally fine with good old plain animal signs, though It looks like the idea behind these pieced signs were to be able to make the animals in different poses. You know, those weird medieval depiction of animals with weird humanoid poses - it seems to be kind of theme in this pack. Its all over the place on the glass, flags and even the ligh pieces.

I think the signs (along with gondolas but I’ve made my feelings clear on that) is one of the weak points too.

Others have said this in the past but it’s hard to create a coherent zoo without a consistent style of animal signs for every species in the game. I doubt we will ever get that though, for SE Asia we don’t even have it for every animal in the pack.

I really want to take a moment to recognise the talent, skill, passion and creativity that has gone into both the 1.8 update and the European DLC. Frontier team, you clearly listen to your community and respond to requests so well. You are continually elevating and enhancing what you’ve created. I’m blown away by how much free content is included in the update, after the anniversary update only last month (including small changes such as a tweak to the platform floats which is so fundamental and an unsung hero in this update!!). All of this builds loyalty for us as fans of the game and customers, and I’m so excited to see what comes in the future. You are all superstars, please keep doing what you’re doing. I recognise that some people may have some needs that haven’t been met, but for today let’s celebrate together in what an incredible game this is, and the continued investment from Frontier in it. Thank you to all at Frontier and wishing each of you Happy Holidays. I hope you’re all able to get some self care, rest and recuperation after a big year for Planet Zoo.

Yup, I thought of the same thing when I saw the signs. I've noticed it not only with animal signs, but with the majority of the scenery in this pack is divided into pieces. It's great creativity wise, but piece count wise... 👀

I think the signs (along with gondolas but I’ve made my feelings clear on that) is one of the weak points too.

Others have said this in the past but it’s hard to create a coherent zoo without a consistent style of animal signs for every species in the game. I doubt we will ever get that though, for SE Asia we don’t even have it for every animal in the pack.

I agree. I don't mind having specific designs for animal signs, but I would love one coherent theme of the signs for all animals. Now, they're kind of all over the place.

I love that they have three staff in the kitchen all chopping and clattering plates and bowls - best animations - very satisfying to watch.
This sounds really nice. I can't wait to see it myself. But don't know how much Time I need for this because I need to reinstall the System and my Computer won't let me remove the Files from the SSD😑 Luckily I've switched to using 2 Drives some Time ago, so at least I won't need to download everything again after reinstalling Windows 10

I'm a little confused about the badger's social requirements. It says 1-7, but up to 6 males and 6 females, or bachelor groups of up to 7 males or females. Huh?
That's totally normal in the Zoopedia. It just means that you can have every Amount of Animals of that specific Gender that isn't over the Limit. Example: 3 males, 4 females.
I hope I was able to explain it understandable enough

Is that Arctic fox really a "rare" colour morph? Every time I see them at least one is that colour. I just assumed it was the "summer coat".
Someone pointed out somewhere else that it's a Color Morph which doesn't change its Color. The Summer Coat of the normal Arctic Fox is brown

Enjoying the update so far even though I can't actually download the DLC yet (lost my card and getting it replaced, long story...).
You could buy a Steam Gift Card for Cash and get the DLC that Way😉

I could understand if we had a full animal + a head of the animal, but why would we want to have a piece that is a badger leg? or an ibex neck? or a lynx tale? We normally want to save pieces, not having to use 5 pieces to make a single animal sign.
But you could customize the Pose that Way😉

Despite the map, the European badger only shows European countries on the list and lacks the Asia tag.
Because of the contradiction, it’s confusing wether or not they include the Caucasian badger as a part of the European badger species or not…
I hope that they decide so, so people would be able to use Asian foliage with them.
The most recent IUCN assessment still classifies the Caucasian badger as Meles meles, which corresponds to the distribution map in the game, but for some reason the listed countries in the Zoopedia, as well as the Asia tag is missing. My guess is they took the country information from Wikipedia, which only lists countries for Meles meles meles, but at the same time uses the IUCN map which includes the Asian range.

Wikipedia articles become quite a mess each time a new study comes out, therefore I'd recommend Frontier to follow the most recent IUCN assessments, as long as there is no "Needs updating" annotation in the latest assessment, which the badger doesn't have.

Last edited:
I finally had time to play with the update and dlc some more and I really love the deer, was actually hoping for those, and the new plants and none grid pieces are amazing and very useful. Though, those and the new railing pieces (which are also great basic and versatile additions) made me yet again realize just how much this game is still missing the most basic things and less theme-park style scenery. I really, really hope that we'll finally get something akin to a backstage pack or update that'll add those in so we can finally build some awesome behind the scenes stuff without using like 100 tiny pieces for one gate or fence that'll drive performance into the ground sooner or later. Same goes for the still missing playground things btw. they'd be a much appreciated addition as well.

Another thing that would do so much for the game is secondary habitat gates. It's such a pain to create large habitats for a variety of animals still and being able to add several gates to one habitat would really help with the infrastructure of our whole parks.

just how much this game is still missing the most basic things and less theme-park style scenery. I really, really hope that we'll finally get something akin to a backstage pack or update that'll add those in so we can finally build some awesome behind the scenes stuff without using like 100 tiny pieces for one gate or fence that'll drive performance into the ground sooner or later.

Exactly, couldn’t agree more.

Olives - yes, I can eat them all the time
Grapes - yes, I can eat Them all the time

Are fig trees in the game? Because I can also eat figs all the time
I disagree with the first one but I absolutely agree with the other 2. A Fig Tree would be so nice. Their Leaves look so great and it would be great if we would also get a Version with Fruit like the Grape Vine. They could also implement a Education Board about Fig Wasps (would be great in a Botanical Garden or Plant House. Yes, I love to build those)
😂 Just remembered that ancient Greek Guy who laughed himself to Death because the Fig eating Donkey he saw was so funny

I disagree with the first one but I absolutely agree with the other 2. A Fig Tree would be so nice. Their Leaves look so great and it would be great if we would also get a Version with Fruit like the Grape Vine. They could also implement a Education Board about Fig Wasps (would be great in a Botanical Garden or Plant House. Yes, I love to build those)
😂 Just remembered that ancient Greek Guy who laughed himself to Death because the Fig eating Donkey he saw was so funny
Or the guy that died from a flying turtle because a lammergeier dropped it onto his head thinking his shiny bald head was a rock

Top Bottom