PLEASE MAKE POWERPLAY IN "OPEN ONLY"

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Which is the reason they are easier to beat....and that's the only difference between NPC and a player, the predictability. And the only outcome of that is making them easier to beat/evade, so you are basically saying exactly what Bob said you were.
Frontier set the NPC difficulty level of the game in all modes. Of course some players will pose significantly more of a challenge - however, as games are played for fun, specifically my fun, playing against players who can, and do, destroy a ship in seconds with no comms doesn't make for a fun experience.

If the game had been Open only from the outset, I would not have backed it.

As it is, PvP is an optional extra - one that I am happy to choose not to participate in.

Frontier set the NPC difficulty level of the game in all modes. Of course some players will pose significantly more of a challenge - however, as games are played for fun, specifically my fun, playing against players who can, and do, destroy a ship in seconds with no comms doesn't make for a fun experience.

If the game had been Open only from the outset, I would not have backed it.

As it is, PvP is an optional extra - one that I am happy to choose not to participate in.

NPCs in Powerplay are weak because they are farmed. Players act as gatherers, either generating merits or moving them. Open Only would then provide roles for players to either protect these guys or hunt them down.

Believe it or not, there are players and whole communities / Power communities out there dedicated to helping you live because its in their interest.

Oh it's not about wanting something or not for me: it's about fair competition between Powers.
I am sorry, but the current system is fair. The only people that seem to think it is not are those that allegedly are looking for "meaningful PvP".

Everyone has the same PvE tools at there disposal, Open Only would not fix any perceived issues - only sanction against those that do not want to play in Open for whatever reason.

If Powerplay is lacking meaningful PvP content, how about adding PvP content to it?

What if merits could be earned by destroying other CMDRs from the PF? The amount of merits could depend on:
  • Status of the CMDR in a power. This can prevent creating dummy accounts as merit farming. How long a CMDR has been with a power, the amount of work done for that power determines merits.
  • Rebuy value.
  • System. More merits are gained when CMDR is in important home systems.
  • Causing the CMDR to high wake will also gain the attacker merit for chasing away.

Just from the top of my head.

I am sorry, but the current system is fair. The only people that seem to think it is not are those that allegedly are looking for "meaningful PvP".

Everyone has the same PvE tools at there disposal, Open Only would not fix any perceived issues - only sanction against those that do not want to play in Open for whatever reason.

The current system is not fair- its easy to set up merit farming in PG using heal beams and chunky ships. Since PP CZs are old school they have unending waves of weak ships coming at you. And since there is zero chance of interception by a capable ship, you are quite safe to rack up huge merit totals. Its this that makes Sandros weighted merits proposal ineffective.

Merit hauling in solo is 100% safe and reliable as well. The only metric then is time, and how much you can grind. Open makes those deliveries uncertain, and players adopting a more cautious stance.

With your 'Everyone has the same PvE tools at there disposal' you make life more unfair simply as the only metric is moving capacity with no attenuation from rival players. You force Powers to then adopt the same efficient methods, which then robs any variety from playing Powerplay. So rather than having fast ships with less cargo capacity dodging interception, you have an endless parade of Type 9s wallowing about in lock step.

If Powerplay is lacking meaningful PvP content, how about adding PvP content to it?

What if merits could be earned by destroying other CMDRs from the PF? The amount of merits could depend on:
  • Status of the CMDR in a power. This can prevent creating dummy accounts as merit farming. How long a CMDR has been with a power, the amount of work done for that power determines merits.
  • Rebuy value.
  • System. More merits are gained when CMDR is in important home systems.
  • Causing the CMDR to high wake will also gain the attacker merit for chasing away.
Just from the top of my head.

This was attempted in part but nerfed to the ground because it was abused- killed commanders are worth 1 merit, and Powerplay piracy met a similar fate when it was misused.

Thats not to say inclusion would be unwelcome- its just any addition would need to be bulletproof.

Unfairness implies inequality in the availability of the tools - this is demonstrably false.

So, setting up a wing of farming T-10s with heal beams in PG is fair and good gameplay, while others do it the old fashioned way? It becomes fair when the possibility of interception is real, because then you take the same gamble everyone else does- hoard merits, or cash them in? For a snipe sometimes thats not possible.

The logical extreme of your argument is that everyone does the same skill free actions. Thats just reinforcing the grind that is crippling Powerplay. What is needed is the opposite, meaningful and unpredictable encounters.

Last edited:
Unfairness implies inequality in the availability of the tools - this is demonstrably false.

Everyone has the same options at their disposal, thus the system is fair.
The same would still be true if Power Play were open-mode only. Everyone would still have the same options at their disposal. Read a few posts above as to why the current system is not actually fair for those who prefer open. It seems to me like the real argument you are making is that your preferred options are more important than someone else's.

So, setting up a wing of farming T-10s with heal beams in PG is fair and good gameplay, while others do it the old fashioned way?
Everyone has the same options ultimately, how you use the options is up to you. Fairness does not come into it.

It becomes fair when the possibility of interception is real, because then you take the same gamble everyone else does- hoard merits, or cash them in? For a snipe sometimes thats not possible.
False - ultimately, you are saying "no forced PvP = unfair" which is just the usual fallacious rhetoric that has been bantered around these forums by certain parts of this community.

The same would still be true if Power Play were open-mode only.
Actually the anti-open-only argument is predominantly one of heritage - i.e. PP started out as being mode-agnostic thus should remain that way. By limiting PP to Open Only you are demonstrably removing options by adding gameplay restrictions when previously there were none and there is no good reason to do that.

Everyone has the same options ultimately, how you use the options is up to you. Fairness does not come into it.

So you are endorsing AFK botting then because its available? Is this the gameplay you want? Not exactly a rich experience is it?

False - ultimately, you are saying "no forced PvP = unfair" which is just the usual fallacious rhetoric that has been bantered around these forums by certain parts of this community.

Every action you do should have the chance of being responded to by a rival pledge. You gamble AFK, you should have a chance of being discovered. You haul, you have the chance of interception.

This was attempted in part but nerfed to the ground because it was abused- killed commanders are worth 1 merit, and Powerplay piracy met a similar fate when it was misused.
Which is the reason for my first point.
Thats not to say inclusion would be unwelcome- its just any addition would need to be bulletproof.
Why? OOPP isn't bulletproof either. Why the strict criteria for an alternative?

Actually the anti-open-only argument is predominantly one of heritage - i.e. PP started out as being mode-agnostic thus should remain that way. By limiting PP to Open Only you are demonstrably removing options by adding gameplay restrictions when previously there were none and there is no good reason to do that.

Rubbernuke explained every part of it. You left all that out. Then said there was no reason?

a199a49c8d33a140e2d9e23f2a148437.png

The current system is not fair- its easy to set up merit farming in PG using heal beams and chunky ships. Since PP CZs are old school they have unending waves of weak ships coming at you. And since there is zero chance of interception by a capable ship, you are quite safe to rack up huge merit totals. Its this that makes Sandros weighted merits proposal ineffective.

Merit hauling in solo is 100% safe and reliable as well. The only metric then is time, and how much you can grind. Open makes those deliveries uncertain, and players adopting a more cautious stance.

With your 'Everyone has the same PvE tools at there disposal' you make life more unfair simply as the only metric is moving capacity with no attenuation from rival players. You force Powers to then adopt the same efficient methods, which then robs any variety from playing Powerplay. So rather than having fast ships with less cargo capacity dodging interception, you have an endless parade of Type 9s wallowing about in lock step.

And as I've repeatedly shown you, ED has grown up while Powerplay has remained the same. Powerplay is now living in the shadow of more agile and comprehensive features. By making it Open only you are not losing anything.

Which is the reason for my first point.

Why? OOPP isn't bulletproof either. Why the strict criteria for an alternative?

All my arguments here are from the perspective of the proposals. I don't expect anything more than them to be done so thats my focus. With the limited features Sandro / FD have to play with its the best bet for its outlay.

Top Bottom