Please reconsider fleet carriers for solo players.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I don't think Fleet Carriers should be for solo players. If as I've seen speculated, it takes a lot of resources and management to maintain one, then that's gameplay that is unrealistic for a solo player.
If it does, maybe the problem solves itself. If carriers won't have any benefits for a solo player and too cumbersome and expensive to run, then few will bother getting one.

However, it does disappoint me that yet again, it's another thing that seems to punish solo players.
And we'll probably have the same discussion next year about base building.

Will you stop with the garbage. Let's look at your ESO novella..

The mount in the expansion is available to everyone if they are skilled enough to get it. Nowhere does it say you have to be a member of a guild? Or maybe you can point me to that bit?

Please, explain to me the progression in Elite? Last time I checked I had a Cutter in under 24hrs played on my most recent account. So that blows your 'progression' right down the toilet.

Carriers are not a 'reward'. Saying it is is just silly. From what I'm reading here, you guys want to feel special with your carriers. You want it to be some status symbol. You talk about ESO and skills yet, most will just login in because they are a squadron member will automagically have access to a carrier. That take some skill all right.

I think if they do indeed add carriers to Elite then every player should have access, whether they are in some groupy thing or not.

As for 'top tier' rewards... What utter tripe. I re-iterate, I have an account with under 24hrs played, a Cutter and an Anaconda and a T10 and billions in the bank. Top tier my Arx !

"Access" isn't the same thing as "automatically awarded no matter what".

Solo players don't have access to PvP or wings either, because both are mode-restricted multi-player content. If carriers are the same then I'll have no problem with it- because all modes aren't equal. They never were.

If it does, maybe the problem solves itself. If carriers won't have any benefits for a solo player and too cumbersome and expensive to run, then few will bother getting one.

Do you mean base building punishing people that like to play in groups (i am assumung these are personal bases).

Outrageuos.

Oh no - first the demands for vanity carriers, then the demands will start for vanity NPCs to make them look populated 🤦‍♀️
I'm not demanding anything. Just saying that a solo player isn't the same as a solo in-game person. It doesn't break immersion or any "reality aspect" of a solo player owning a station just because he is a solo real-life human, but anyone with a little imagination can understand that in that world, a single person can own a carrier and run it, if he/she can afford to have hundreds or thousands of virtual humans in the game hired.

What I'm saying is that the argument for "real-life single human player" isn't really valid for not being able to have a carrier. But then again, if having a carrier is just a burden and impossible for a single person to own, then we won't see many single players doing it and there's no huge disaster as it's made out to be.

there is absolutely zero logical reason for FD to lock base building behind guild walls. Whilst i do think there could be a better way to introduce fleet carriers which are inclusive for all and not exclusive to guilds like some people - and FD it seems - wants I do accept also that the way it is looking like going, there is a practical argument for single players not having one.... .BUT there is absolutely no logical defence for forcing that on bases.

if a CMDR can afford a cutter in the ED universe there is no reason at all why they cant afford to employ the equivelent of a small building company to build a moonbase for goodness sake and expand it over time. To not allow that would be completely indefensible imo. (it would be the equivalent of letting me own an aircraft carrier (anaconda) but not letting me buy a house.

Last edited:
Do you mean base building punishing people that like to play in groups (i am assumung these are personal bases).

Outrageuos.
We'll probably have a talk about if it's reasonable for a single player to own a base next year. The upkeep, cost, and why for a single player. And we wouldn't want some popular planets to be overwrought with bases.

there is absolutely zero logical reason for FD to lock base building behind guild walls. Whilst i do think there could be a better way to introduce fleet carriers which are inclusive for all and not exclusive to guilds like some people - and FD it seems - wants. there is absolutely no logical defence for forcing that on bases.

if a CMDR can afford a cutter in the ED universe there is no reason at all why they cant afford to employ the equivelent of a small building company to build a moonbase for goodness sake and expand it over time. To not allow that would be completely indefensible imo. (it would be the equivalent of letting me own an aircraft carrier (anaconda) but not letting me buy a house.
So if a commander can afford a cutter in ED universe, or even better, can afford a carrier a couple times over, there's no reason they couldn't afford (in the virtual world) to employ a crew for the carrier.

We'll probably have a talk about if it's reasonable for a single player to own a base next year. The upkeep, cost, and why for a single player. And we wouldn't want some popular planets to be overwrought with bases.
Surely that depends on the size. I would assume there would be upkeep costs of somekind. Also you wouldn't need to grind on end to refuel it and they probably would be a fraction of the size of one of those Fleet Carriers.

I certainly don't expect massive bases with loads of landing pads. I expect them to be small personal things.

So if a commander can afford a cutter in ED universe, or even better, can afford a carrier a couple times over, there's no reason they couldn't afford (in the virtual world) to employ a crew for the carrier.
hey if you are expecting an argument from me on that you have picked the wrong man!. (edit similey face added :) ) The problem is FD so far dont do npcs (outside of SLF pilot). and when i put, i think there is a more inclusive way, npcs is exactly how i would do it, as i detailed earlier - tying them to the local factions........ but that does not seem to be they way it is going.

if we accept that FD dont allow npcs to fly these ships then there is logic to it being impractical to fly a megaship alone, but that does not work imo when it comes to a base.... a building does not need npcs or other players for it to "work".

all it would need is a few tones of oxygen, some water and perhaps some minor upkeep of your solar panels and it should be good for months.

Last edited:
Surely that depends on the size. I would assume there would be upkeep costs of somekind. Also you wouldn't need to grind on end to refuel it and they probably would be a fraction of the size of one of those Fleet Carriers.

I certainly don't expect massive bases with loads of landing pads. I expect them to be small personal things.
Probably right.

I'm not so concerned about all these issues against solo-player carriers. If the carrier doesn't have a shipyard and takes too much to upkeep and there's no benefit, very few solo-players will get one. Sure, some will, but I believe the majority of players belong to squadrons already, and out of the few who don't there won't be many who have to have this "vanity" thing.

It would be awesome if Solo players could get small, personal ships!
Wait a second...

Probably right.

I'm not so concerned about all these issues against solo-player carriers. If the carrier doesn't have a shipyard and takes too much to upkeep and there's no benefit, very few solo-players will get one. Sure, some will, but I believe the majority of players belong to squadrons already, and out of the few who don't there won't be many who have to have this "vanity" thing.
I see it as a saftey net. Better to have it gated then to have a load of people buy them and then realise they are useless and have potentially wasted billions of credits on something they can't really use. Better to have a few people moaning on forums then loads of people having to contact support to get the sale reversed.

hey if you are expecting an argument from me on that you have picked the wrong man!.
Sorry. Didn't mean to make it sound like I wanted to argue.

When I discuss, it's more of an exploration of ideas, and I can be a bit brusque. No harm intended. :)

The problem is FD so far dont do npcs (outside of SLF pilot). and when i put, i think there is a more inclusive way, npcs is exactly how i would do it, as i detailed earlier - tying them to the local factions........ but that does not seem to be they way it is going.

if we accept that FD dont allow npcs to fly these ships then there is logic to it being impractical to fly a megaship alone, but that does not work imo when it comes to a base.... a building does not need npcs or other players for it to "work".
True. Maybe. We'll see next year. :D

I see it as a saftey net. Better to have it gated then to have a load of people buy them and then realise they are useless and have potentially wasted billions of credits on something they can't really use. Better to have a few people moaning on forums then loads of people having to contact support to get the sale reversed.

probably would not be a bad idea to put a training scenario in with the others on the front page regarding megaship upkeep...... to give players an idea of the work involved before buying one. this could be useful for guilds too..... to work out whether your guild is up to the task.

@Han Zulu btw i should have put a smiley in my post..... i didnt take it the wrong way, s'all good man.

Ok. Sure. But then maybe they could have a sell function of the carrier.

My view is that the arguments against personally owned carriers aren't very strong. Sure, there's something to them, but they're not super-strong. The argument that a single player can't have one because it takes a crew to maintain the carrier, well, maybe 10 isn't large enough then, but only squadrons with 100 members can own one, so maybe the limit should be that? Right now, we don't know what Frontier is planning for the carriers and what's required to run them. We don't know if they'll have shipyards or not. So it's all very speculative. If carriers are easy to run because you have virtual NPCs taking care of everything, then it won't be a chore for a single player. The solution is easy, but we don't know which way FDev is going with that.

The only argument I think is somewhat valid is the overcrowding of persistent carriers in a system. But then again, it could become a problem even with the 10-member gate considering there are thousands of squadrons.

Where is the upkeep coming from all of a sudden? Nothing in the game has upkeep, you don't even have to pay parking tickets for having entire fleets docked at several stations.

Doesn't get more patronizing than that.

Ok. Sure. But then maybe they could have a sell function of the carrier.

My view is that the arguments against personally owned carriers aren't very strong. Sure, there's something to them, but they're not super-strong. The argument that a single player can't have one because it takes a crew to maintain the carrier, well, maybe 10 isn't large enough then, but only squadrons with 100 members can own one, so maybe the limit should be that? Right now, we don't know what Frontier is planning for the carriers and what's required to run them. We don't know if they'll have shipyards or not. So it's all very speculative. If carriers are easy to run because you have virtual NPCs taking care of everything, then it won't be a chore for a single player. The solution is easy, but we don't know which way FDev is going with that.

The only argument I think is somewhat valid is the overcrowding of persistent carriers in a system. But then again, it could become a problem even with the 10-member gate considering there are thousands of squadrons.
There are many other arguments against. But I am not against a small personal carrier, something that holds 2-3 ships. But I don't think that is what is coming.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom