Please remove the 256 species limit

Adding my support for this request.

I don't use mods for PZ. I do for other games, but for now, until Frontier stop releasing new DLC, I enjoy the feeling that I am playing the authentic game, as it was intended. I also love the excitement of a new DLC drop, the build up to it for all the months beforehand, and diving into the game as soon as it releases to see the new species in action. I worry that once I start adding species mods, it will take away from the specialness of these moments.

However. We all know that the game won't be supported forever. Once Frontier are done with it, and no more DLCs are incoming, that's when I want to be able to add mods. This is actually a huge consolation for me - that once the game is 'done' - it won't be for us, thanks to mods. I've been playing this game since it first released and I will keep playing it well beyond its supported lifespan.

The idea that there is a superficially imposed limit on how much I'll be able to get out of the game beyond that day. It really breaks my heart.

Also just adding my support to this thread.
I don't use mods right now, but once official support has ended I intend to turn to mods to acquire any species that I still wish for. It's great to see that so many people want to keep growing and enjoying this game for the forseeable future.

I was actually rather surprised that this number was so low, given the huge amount of animals that could be added to game. I'm not currently using mods in my game either but could change my mind down the road. This probably won't get an official response, but I am curious as to how this number was established, and, if it had anything to do with keeping the game stable. It would seem to me that if the number can be safely increased, an increase request should certainly be considered.

It just randomly accrued to me that maybe people would also be slightly less critical of the official animal choices if they didn’t feel limited? Both in terms of how many Frontier can officially add and how many they’ll be able to add themselves through mods if their favorite (sub)species isn’t choosen? 🤔
I might be totally wrong, but I just wanted to share that thought haha

It just randomly accrued to me that maybe people would also be slightly less critical of the official animal choices if they didn’t feel limited? Both in terms of how many Frontier can officially add and how many they’ll be able to add themselves through mods if their favorite (sub)species isn’t choosen? 🤔
I might be totally wrong, but I just wanted to share that thought haha
I completely agree. The reason why I care so much about the realistic captivity choices vs. wacky animal selection is because the roster is so limiting, that I don't want to risk not having a common animal like a Hartman's Mountain Zebra because the Himalayan Brown Bear had to be in base game.

Once again voicing my support to raise the cap.
I understand the team does not like to openly support the modding community.
But many games like Plane Zoo remain relevant with a strong community long after support ends thanks to the modding scene, and can help retain sales while the team moves on to future projects but people will still want to play and enjoy new things.

While i personally already enjoy mods of this game, I know there are many who will start to try them once support comes to an end, wich will extend their playability with the game.
Please frontier give this game a bright future and raise the cap! 1024 would be great if possible?

I'd like to see this too, though frankly I've never reached the current species cap in a zoo before the game bogs down to the point where it's unplayable. I have a number of large franchise zoos that aren't "finished," because I couldn't add any more habitats. I've played around with reducing guest numbers, and that helps some, but if you reduce those too much they no longer bring in enough money to feed all my animals and pay all my staff.

But when I upgrade to a new, faster, computer someday, this may not be an issue. I can't justify doing this yet, since my current computer still works well and runs the other games I play at high performance levels without a glitch. PZ is definitely a processor-intensive game.

I'm supporting Team Biodiversity.
Please Frontier, raise the cap. it hasn't to be yet, but please before the official support ends.
I'm still not using Mods, cause I play only the career scenarios or franchise-mode, cause it's more challenging.
but at some point i'll try to build a realistic zoo, and then could mods be very helpful

Alright, so we're close.
In the last update, Frontier was able to fix the Market itself, where animals that were being chopped off at a certain point, don't get cut off anymore.
However, now we have an issue where once you buy an animal, it causes it to crash once it is taken out of the Trade Center.
My dearest Frontier friends, I understand you look at this issue, and attempted to fix that, and for that I am forever grateful! However, there seems to be a bit of a deeper problem once the animal is brought out. I am hoping that this can be fixed. Thank you so much <3

Y'all, I've read this thread but I'm still not entirely sure what it's for. Can somebody please explain it to me, since I'm from dumb ol' Texas?

Y'all, I've read this thread but I'm still not entirely sure what it's for. Can somebody please explain it to me, since I'm from dumb ol' Texas?
From my understanding, basically you can only have 256 species of animal in game rn. (158 official game animals, 98 mod species) Once you add more animals than that amount of 256, other species start disappearing from the game, starting with aardvark. Considering zoos tend to average in the 3-400 species of animal amounts people are wanting that 256 number raised so that they can add more mods in the sake of diversity and realism

From my understanding, basically you can only have 256 species of animal in game rn. (158 official game animals, 98 mod species)
It's actually 256 habitat animals, so subtract that from the number of habitat animals we currently have in game (119) and you get the maximum amount of modded animals you can have. Exhibit animals do not count for this total. Therefore, as of the Tropical Pack, you can have up to 137 modded habitat animals in your game.

Anyway, I want to boost my support for this thread because modding has kept me interested in the game between updates because I can give each zoo I build its own unique rotation of animals, and the species cap has dampened my creativity knowing that every species I would want to include could affect the animal market. I want to have a huge selection of official animals to choose from, but with the knowledge of the animal limit, I would rather Frontier focus on adding animals with more unique behaviors and leave additional members of in-game families to modders.

Thank you for listening to my opinions on this matter

Last edited:
Alright, so we're close.
In the last update, Frontier was able to fix the Market itself, where animals that were being chopped off at a certain point, don't get cut off anymore.
However, now we have an issue where once you buy an animal, it causes it to crash once it is taken out of the Trade Center.
My dearest Frontier friends, I understand you look at this issue, and attempted to fix that, and for that I am forever grateful! However, there seems to be a bit of a deeper problem once the animal is brought out. I am hoping that this can be fixed. Thank you so much <3
Really hoping Frontier looks into this more. Glad to hear they’ve at least been paying attention to people’s input in this thread.

The modding community is what will keep Planet Zoo alive long after official Frontier support has ended. Truly fixing the species limit would be one of the biggest things they could do for the PZ community at this point.

Top Bottom