Pulse Wave scanner issues after update 12

Tried relogging in Solo this morning, and it seemed to bring back everything as normal. (Even beyond 20km) Well, normal except none of the materials seemed to match the double hotspot overlap I was in! Going to try going solo from the outset and see if it makes a difference.

I'm trying to refuel carrier by doing sub-surface of tritium into trit spot (Ody game), and I got the feeling:

1. There are NONE stand-alone "sub surfaces" any more. All I found was sub-surface + core. Also they remain 0% after use. Those 2 facts together mean FDEVs hardly disliked all guides about relog-farm of it. From programming point, you could easy save the state of sub-surface only if it is bound to deep core, because those are already savable. So it has a sense to remove stand-alones.

2. Now when we should show only cores by pws, we can make it easier to find: pws "yellows" shows reflections. Like real radar. If you move/change angle reflection change. I tried to imagine "where source will be if this yellow is reflection" ...and 10 of 10 I found shiny core. So in 1 hour I had 7 or 8 cores found including smoke break. Each one had 3-4 sub-surfaces of tritium.
I don't say I'm 100% correct. Just a feeling.

Last edited:
1. There are NONE stand-alone "sub surfaces" any more. All I found was sub-surface + core.
I was mining in a Tritium Hotspot a couple of days ago and only found Surface or Sub-Surface, I didn't come across any Cores at all during that trip... not that I was particularly searching for Cores at the time.
Odyssey btw.

I was mining in a Tritium Hotspot a couple of days ago and only found Surface or Sub-Surface, I didn't come across any Cores at all during that trip... not that I was particularly searching for Cores at the time.
Odyssey btw.
I too stumble across unmakred Surface and Subsurface from time to time. Purely by accident and also when I relog.

I've not had the problem of finding subsurface at 0% unless I've mined it all.

Finding cores now it super easy as, so long as you do not relog, nearly everything shiney is a core and the same shape each time.

I've not had the problem of finding subsurface at 0% unless I've mined it all.
Yes, there is no 0% floating around. I mean when I mined it is 0% and relogs etc do not change that. It was long story FDevs fighted that. 1st they banned fighters out. Then people used relogs. Now relogs are banned too from use.
But what I mean, if you want to ban it guaranteed - easiest way to put it to cores exclusive as cores are persistent saved already.
Any way, it is possibly I'm unlucky. I did 4 runs (each 1 hour about) with 140t cargo making it full and saw cores only. Didn't see any stand-alone sub-surface rock yet. However each core rock had additional 3-4 sub-surfaces. Worst was 2 + 2 things for blaster (surface depo?).

It is possibly they're there but don't shine. I saw surface depos doing lasers only on other ship and it was not shining as we used to.

Yeah - they fixed relog farming years ago. The only reason I relog is to reminisce what it was like when shineys had valuables.

Yeah - they fixed relog farming years ago. The only reason I relog is to reminisce what it was like when shineys had valuables.
Not really. Last time I played before war I could relog to sub-farm tritium. That was like 8-9 months ago. Then I had long pause ...so lost track of things happened :D

1. There are NONE stand-alone "sub surfaces" any more.
There are sub surfaces, only the PWA not showing them with shining.

You can shoot it with prospector and mine it, if you have a proper map on the ring, check out this video:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuCqNNYXXPs

All I found was sub-surface + core. Also they remain 0% after use.
The surface, sub-surface and core will be return to original state after 6 days. The laser mining will be return to original state after 2 hours.

Those 2 facts together mean FDEVs hardly disliked all guides about relog-farm of it. From programming point, you could easy save the state of sub-surface only if it is bound to deep core, because those are already savable. So it has a sense to remove stand-alones.
Even the laser mining state is "saved" for 2 hours.

--

It's a confirmed bug, not a "feature", please vote on it: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/50436

Well, I have restarted playing after a long time, tried EDO for the first time and found this bug straight away.
I confirm what others have said: cores are glowing like lighbulbs, everything else that just shines has nothing.
Really annoying, I'll have to go back to Horizon to mine. Issue voted...

Well, I have restarted playing after a long time, tried EDO for the first time and found this bug straight away.
I confirm what others have said: cores are glowing like lighbulbs, everything else that just shines has nothing.
Really annoying, I'll have to go back to Horizon to mine. Issue voted...

False positives happen all the time for me.

I just move on and keep scanning ina different direction.

It works just different, probably it is a bug everybody vote here.

It works like there is "source of light" which is guaranteed rich core and everything else are "reflections" from your angle, possible "the light" bypasses obstacles so core can be straight behind (and should be not visible but you see "reflection").
So once you master this idea, you can have new core each 3-4 minutes easy now just taking proper route following "reflections".

No, it doesn't work like that. First the scanner should highlight all deposits, not just cores. This doesn't happen any more and the reflections are just that, reflections.
Second, while there are real reflections when there is an asteroid with a core, 99% of the time reflections are just random with nothing nearby -or not so nearby either.
Just confront it with how the scanner works on Horizon.
Yesterday night I tried some mining, haven't got one single core, plenty of reflections with nothing on them, and many asteroid with deposits of all kind not highlighted and not showing the icons either. Today I'm going again to a triple hotspot where I found many cores and at least I will do those, but with this bug mining is limited to surface and deep core only.

I've given up waiting for this to be fixed. Five pages of players reporting should be enough of an indicator that this is an issue that needs attention; the voting should be superfluous.

I'm out in the black with a FC in Odyssey, but mine for tritium in Horizons.

No, it doesn't work like that. First the scanner should highlight all deposits, not just cores. This doesn't happen any more and the reflections are just that, reflections.
Second, while there are real reflections when there is an asteroid with a core, 99% of the time reflections are just random with nothing nearby -or not so nearby either.
Just confront it with how the scanner works on Horizon.
Yesterday night I tried some mining, haven't got one single core, plenty of reflections with nothing on them, and many asteroid with deposits of all kind not highlighted and not showing the icons either. Today I'm going again to a triple hotspot where I found many cores and at least I will do those, but with this bug mining is limited to surface and deep core only.
I didn't say how it should, I said how it do. If you follow leads you can have 1 core per 4-5 mins. Now, if you see shiny thing this means there is core near by guaranteed.

The pulse wave scanner has been broken since update 6 in July of 2021, so 15 months now.

It seems to be a Level of Detail (LOD) change, likley made trying to improve performance and FPS that effected it.

The way I work around it is the rocks glow correctly far away (5+km) but then blink off as you get closer and different level of details LOD. Sometimes the rock will stay glowing, but 9 of of 10 times it will just blink off, or colors shift to others around it, whcih that is what people investigate, which is likley people are not noticing and just thinking that there are less crackable rocks, when in reality the rocks no longer highlight when at med and close ranges, and they are not looking for fissures.

I also run where I am flying into the main light source, with night vision on, so I am looking at the shadowed side of the rocks, to highlight the fissures easier. After seeing the rock at distance, then have to fly toward it to identify if it is crackable or not.

For a period of time I was told to send the bug reports direct to one of the CMs on Discord, and I did for updates 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. Never got any reply back about it being game breaking for core mining overall if you dont know the workaround. New players to the game would not know how to do it at all, so is a broken mechanic.

Last edited:
I get "Access denied" message on the link: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/50436

It just me? Or it's closed, removed or an issue in the issue tracker? :)
Capture.PNG

Back up now if you have issues then there bigger problem with site...

The pulse wave scanner has been broken since update 6 in July of 2021, so 15 months now.

That's a completely different issue and affected the Horizons too.

It seems to be a Level of Detail (LOD) change, likley made trying to improve performance and FPS that effected it.

The PWA is working around ~20 km radius of your drop-off with an old issue about you described... but outside the ~20 km radius it is way worse, only the core asteroids shining with full glowing and there are some ghost-shining and affected Odyssey only.

i get false positves.. yellow and no subs, surface, or core. Then i prospect a rock that has no yellow and 3 subs and 2 surface. so false negatives. every now and then a core will be correct. mostly laser mining.. but this cuts into my time in field

Top Bottom