Pulse Wave Scanner Works...Backwards

But it should be hard based on rarity, not based on a suddenly buggy piece of equipment working/not working in an arbitrary fashion. If there aren't as many glowing rock anymore, then that's fine. I just want to know that if a rock isn't glowing, it's because it's not what I'm looking for, NOT that it might very well be because my PWA somehow has to wait for 10 minutes for confirmation from GalNet or whatever.

It's not quite that easy though. Not sure if you simplified the case, but you certainly know (or should know by now) that glowing alone does not indicate a core, which it never did by the way. It's always a certain combination of brightly glowing pure yellow (with none or very little orange or red portions) and a certain shape, whereas the shape determines the special kind of core. VO core rocks for instance always have this rough pumpkin shape, but never these flattened stamps that some other cores can have. They are roughly round (never longish or ellipsoid) and of intermediate size.

Also, what many new miners don't seem to understand are the probabilities at which core rocks are distributed. They seem to expect only VO cores in a VO hotspot, where in reality you can only expect a higher probability at best. Other glowing non core rocks indicate things like SD or SSD deposits. Tritium is a special case that can virtually occur everywhere in ice rings and in all various forms (intrinsic, core, SD and SSD).

If people don't understand these things (and FDev doesn't bother to let us in on the finer points, apparently we're supposed to figure these things out for ourselves - which I welcome, by the way), they easily think the mechanism is broken. With VO cores, something is indeed going wrong right now, but not as bad and unplayable as many people currently think.

It's not quite that easy though. Not sure if you simplified the case, but you certainly know (or should know by now) that glowing alone does not indicate a core, which it never did by the way.
I know. That's not the issue. The issue is that I can go 20 clicks in a straight line and not see a glowing anything at all, then flip my ship over and see a dozen in the previously empty area. Heck, on a couple of occasions, just to try it, I have sat stationary in one spot, not moving an inch, firing the PWA over and over again, only to see glowing rocks pop into existence where previously there were none.

It's bugged. Period. :)

I know. That's not the issue. The issue is that I can go 20 clicks in a straight line and not see a glowing anything at all, then flip my ship over and see a dozen in the previously empty area. Heck, on a couple of occasions, just to try it, I have sat stationary in one spot, not moving an inch, firing the PWA over and over again, only to see glowing rocks pop into existence where previously there were none.

It's bugged. Period. :)
While I agree there are variables in mining in ED, differences and variety in asteroids, nuances in types of mining, all of it. And all of it makes for some unique gameplay experiences - I'm still left with the same issue, the same request. The Pulse Wave Scanner (PWS) is now jacked up. What MishaTX is describing is spot on target for the issue at hand. I suppose, if the PWS had been introduced to ED as is - it might have seemed to be a rather quirky (but fun!) gadget which might be helpful in mining somehow or another. However, I've used the PWS for a lot of hours of gameplay in its previous state of operation, and so now it seems entirely frustrating to use it.

Look, I'm not out to make YouTube videos about how "you too can make billions of credits an hour core mining in Elite Dangerous with my simple plan" kind of thing, I probably won't ever have a billion credits in this game, nor own a shiny fleet carrier, but I do enjoy the peculiar work of mining in a space simulator game known as Elite Dangerous. And in the game, I'd just like to see the PWS restored to it's former operating usefulness.

Additionally, I can't help but think of new players, new miners (post last game update when the PWS issue seems to have originated) who see the in-game module called Pulse Wave Scanner, read the description and think - "hey, this thing may help me find a few likely prospects for mining in a vast field of asteroids, because my ship can't carry 100 million prospector limpets, and heck, this game should be kind of fun anyway, right?" Only now, they install the PWS in their mining outfitted ship, and go plant themselves in an asteroid field in the game, and then have to flip over relentlessly, pinging away at huge rocks with no return only to see them give a positive light return moments later. If I were a new player, new miner using the PWS, I'd probably think - the module is stupid, irritating and doesn't match the description.

The Pulse Wave Scanner is most definitely NOT operating as it did before the last game update installed. It needs to be fixed, returned to its former operability. The flipping miners should be given rest. Frontier team, please fix the Pulse Wave Scanner feature. Period. :)

Good point MishaTX, nerfing by making loot more scarce would be a much more reasonable and acceptable approach - if it was necessary.
The current situation feels like being taunted and deceived. "You can't see me, till you run past me and look back".
What worries me, is the lack of response or information or a patch or any damn thing, from the folk who are pulling the levers.

Good point MishaTX, nerfing by making loot more scarce would be a much more reasonable and acceptable approach - if it was necessary.
The current situation feels like being taunted and deceived. "You can't see me, till you run past me and look back".
Exactly. I'm all fine with very profitable roids being scarce, as a matter of fact that's the way it should be in my opinion, and not all glowing 'roids should be a guaranteed payday either, they might not be the 'roids you're looking for. All good.

What I'm NOT fine with is my PWA being a piece of junk that will tell me that "this rock isn't interesting in any way" one moment and then, thirty seconds or five minutes later glowing like a Christmas tree saying "hey, tricked you!". If a rock is dark when I scanned it, if a hundred rocks are like that, then OK. Bad day. But I don't really want to have to re-scan every roid in the belt a hundred times just to see if the lack of a glow earlier was due to the scanner being bugged. I'll just move on until I find something that DOES glow, prospect it and then either curse or bless my luck, both are fine to me.

What worries me, is the lack of response or information or a patch or any damn thing, from the folk who are pulling the levers.
Welcome to ED. As much as I love this game, much to the frustration of my family, I'm sure, one thing the devs are not known for is any sort of community management, which is funny, considering the number of community managers they have. Communication is purely on a "we'll tell you once it's been done and you all know it anyway" basis.

I'm not saying they don't pay attention or don't listen, I'm not a mind reader, but they are absolutely atrocious when it comes to communicating with their community.

Why that is, I don't know. It's not like I expect a daily update on exactly what they're doing (it would be great though, but not really reasonable to demand), but the occasional "heard, we're aware of it, and we're working on a fix, we'll let you know if we can find one" would be nice. Instead of weeks of silence followed by a notice. Maybe.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with valuable stuff being hard to find. Indeed, back in the pre-nerf days I always found myself scratching my head over why in Randomius' name stations would pay >1MCr/tn for something that you couldn't fly through a planetary icy ring without having to stop to clear the things out of your heat vents every 5 minutes.

But it should be hard based on rarity, not based on a suddenly buggy piece of equipment working/not working in an arbitrary fashion. If there aren't as many glowing rock anymore, then that's fine. I just want to know that if a rock isn't glowing, it's because it's not what I'm looking for, NOT that it might very well be because my PWA somehow has to wait for 10 minutes for confirmation from GalNet or whatever.
Maybe when Odyssey comes out, FDEV will just hand us all a shovel and we'll be digging for space truffles. :mad:

I am getting the same situation on PS4. I am mining some grandidierite in a double hot spot. At first nothing, but when I realized that I need to turn back occasionally I managed to get 150 tones. However, it is a headache and I would prefer to fix the PWS to its previous version.

Howdy Commanders! So, I went over this morning to the Frontier 🌎 | Issue Tracker ( https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/19374 ) and looked at the issues Frontier is acknowledging, fixed, etc. and wondering if everyone here is voting on the issue. I'm not sure if voting helps bump the issue forward in terms of Frontier fixing it, but it seems worth the investiture of a moments time. Would everyone who's read this post - or is reading it now, mind putting the "bum rush" on the issue over at Frontier and let's see if it helps expedite getting our Pulse Wave Scanner back up and running to spec?

Early this AM, I took the Flipping Pig out for a core-mining run. Three hours of Pulse Wave Scanner madness (please, for the love of all that is holy, fix the thing Frontier) and I came back home with a pittance of my usual haul. Once back at the starport, after selling my goods, I decided to sell my Anaconda, and moved back to a Python to use for mining. Less roomy, less cargo, but more maneuverable and with the leaner runs, works pretty well. #fixthedamnPWS

This morning...lots of glowing asteroids. Can someone else fire up their Pulse Wave Scanner and give it a whirl? Did they fix it and just not tell us? Or am I dreaming, and it's still broken? Did they throw in a bone with all the new space stations?

This morning...lots of glowing asteroids. Can someone else fire up their Pulse Wave Scanner and give it a whirl? Did they fix it and just not tell us? Or am I dreaming, and it's still broken? Did they throw in a bone with all the new space stations?
I also want to know if they fixed this in today's tick?

As crazy and cumbersome as it can be...
One other option to flip the ship, is to switch and look from the outside camera, move above the ship and look around while pinging with the PWS...
If you see something of interest you return inside and fly that direction, because somehow the PWS works after you see the asteroid glow once.
It takes some practice and time but works.
Hope they fix it soon.

As crazy and cumbersome as it can be...
One other option to flip the ship, is to switch and look from the outside camera, move above the ship and look around while pinging with the PWS...
If you see something of interest you return inside and fly that direction, because somehow the PWS works after you see the asteroid glow once.
It takes some practice and time but works.
Hope they fix it soon.
Ah, so still busted.

I see.

Onward.

Ah, so still busted.

I see.

Onward.
Man, not sure it is broken or they just cut Cores WAY down. I am still PWS and finding them but not at rate I was say a month ago. Did they break the scanner or just thin the fields? I have noticed hits that glowed once and not again, so glitchy yes, outright broken though? Hmm.

I'm not sure if I was just lucky yesterday, or if something has improved.
Managed to fill up my 229 tons on my Python, though it did take about 2 hours.
I'm pretty sure it nothing has changed. The PWS is still broken. Sounds like you found a good spot though. Three hours last night and the PWS scanner behaved the same - no glowing return in front, flip around and fire it off in the direction you came from and shows returns. I went forward, went back lots of times. Did OK on a core mining run, but it's still annoying.

#fixthedamnPWSpleaseFD

I'm pretty sure it nothing has changed. The PWS is still broken. Sounds like you found a good spot though. Three hours last night and the PWS scanner behaved the same - no glowing return in front, flip around and fire it off in the direction you came from and shows returns. I went forward, went back lots of times. Did OK on a core mining run, but it's still annoying.

#fixthedamnPWSpleaseFD
Definitely annoying. I was just boosting through the hotspot, taking whatever I could find.

#fixthedamnPWSpleaseFD

This "trick" doesn't work for me anymore. From my point of view it actually looks as if something has changed. I already noticed that on Thursday night, before server maintenance. I don't know about other hotspots, as I'm currently focussed on VO hotspots (far out and away from the bubble in an uncharted system). I notice less candidates (those who will have a core, but not necessarily from native hotspot type) as in less glowing asteroids in general. It has become significantly more difficult for me to find VO cores. Which I'm totally fine with, others not so much I guess.

The 100 million dollar question now is, if backwards flying still works for others, why not for me anymore? Slow flying has also worked for me, that too is gone now. Has it something to do with my mining style? Which is, in a nutshell, a small ship (Cobra Mk4) and most of the time boosting into the ring, not just above or below. Now I can sometimes fly for minutes before I even see anything yellow, let alone brightly shining core indicators.

Last edited:
Top Bottom