General Remove Mission Only Items. Or make Stations Guarantee such Missions at all Times.

And no. Its not like wanting Hotspots to be 100% one Materials and Pay out 100% because guess what. HOTSPOTS ALREADY GUARANTEE THAT THE MATERIAL YOUR LOOKING FOR IS IN THERE.

pfft please, the material is in there somewhere, you have to scan and scan until you get the right asteroid which is random and RNG (dice roll) based
how about every asteroid has the material I need, why do I have to wait for the right asteroid ?

I think everyone in this thread understands that. You don't like Dice Rolls. We get it!

What I think nobody here entirely understands is why you're here, if you hate RNG mechanics so much, playing a very time consuming game that consists almost entirely 100% of RNG mechanics.

I mean, virtually every aspect of ED is randomized, down to the very planets you land on. At some level, the entire game boils down to using luck and skill and patience to beat the odds or at least bend them in your favor. So what is it exactly that you actually enjoy in this game? Maybe do more of that instead.

I could actually ask why you Play this Game then.
Just get some Dice and start rolling ;)

But thats your level. I would like to actually bother having a Proper Argument.
Hence.
Not at all.
The Universe was Created by a Procedural System.
And is now Established.

Someone Rolled the Dice Years ago.
And the Result is what we Play with.
I am not rolling any Dice :)
If I go to an Ice Ring with certain ressources I can scan it and will know where things are.

very good response
literally what I and a few others have been saying, but...
the impression I get is OP chooses not to understand this because it doesn't leave an argument

Ah. I see as you got no Arguments its back towards my Person instead.
I am soooo impressed.....

Gimme a Shout if you got something to say on topic ;)

pfft please, the material is in there somewhere, you have to scan and scan until you get the right asteroid which is random and RNG (dice roll) based
how about every asteroid has the material I need, why do I have to wait for the right asteroid ?

You Suck at Mining dont you ?

I would like to actually bother having a Proper Argument.
You don't, you want to hear: "Oh yeah let's remove this coz it's RNG. RNG bad so lets delete RNG; no need to replace it coz RNG bad."
Like @Maolagin said you don't give any idea to replace the: "bad RNG mechanics"

(Say don't do*.) Do what i say, not what i do.
*edited coz now its more meaningful

Last edited:
probably as much as you suck at commodity gathering buy hey, each to their own

Not Surprising.
After all Mining requires some knowledge and skill to tell which Asteroids got what you want.
Gathering Commodities from Dice Rolling just requires the brainless repetition of rolling Dice.

You don't, you want to hear: "Oh yeah let's remove this coz it's RNG. RNG bad so lets delete RNG; no need to replace it coz RNG bad."
Like @Maolagin said you don't give any idea to replace the: "bad RNG mechanics"

(Say don't do*.) Do what i say, not what i do.
*edited coz now its more meaningful

So you cannot possibly consider replacing a Bad Mechanic unless I treat you like little Kids and spell out every small detail for you ?

Alright then.
Option 1.
Add an Option to Produce Modular Terminals at some Stations in exchange for Engineering Materials.
Option 2.
Change the Mission Script so it Guarantees at least 2 Missions that offer Modular Terminals as Reward.
Option 3.
Add a Guaranteed Mission for Modular Terminals to the Faction of the Engineer that wants them.
Option 4.
Use Literally any of the plenty other Options we got. Be it Mining, Raiding Outposts, Finding a Specific Station or whatever.

So there you go.
Happy Now ?
Was that so hard to just assume by yourself ?

Was that so hard to just assume by yourself ?
yep :)

Option 3.
Add a Guaranteed Mission for Modular Terminals to the Faction of the Engineer that wants them.
no ahah, this is a good idea!

Option 2.
Change the Mission Script so it Guarantees at least 2 Missions that offer Modular Terminals as Reward.
dont forget that MT are not the sole mission commodities so it would be hard to balance; beside giving a mission commodity every time

and yeah i like doing things in reverse

so you are now trying to convince us that asteroid spawning has nothing to do with RNG or as you keep putting it dice rolling????
you know what, don't worry I know what you are going to say it will be along the lines of you are right and everyone else are wrong
and to think people have posted to try and make your experience easier yet you patronise and show not the tiniest bit of understanding, so resolute that there is no point continuing this discussion

So you have stock. Cool, nobody could possibly know about it w/o advertising... Is there any issue running Inara/EDDB or anything else that would spread the information about your FC??
I don't run the 3rd party apps because I have crap Aussie internet and I don't need more things eating bandwidth. I have no objection to people visiting with the apps and revealing it, besides making me feel like I need to do work to restock if it sells. ;) I stock them as a convenience in case someone asks for them on the Galactic Academy, it's not like I need the CRs.

so you are now trying to convince us that asteroid spawning has nothing to do with RNG or as you keep putting it dice rolling????
you know what, don't worry I know what you are going to say it will be along the lines of you are right and everyone else are wrong
and to think people have posted to try and make your experience easier yet you patronise and show not the tiniest bit of understanding, so resolute that there is no point continuing this discussion

You cant make my Experience easier. Because its long happened. And I doubt your capable of time travel.
Something you would know if you bothered reading now and then.

My Target is not an Easier Experience.
My Target is a more Consistent Experience that involves Gameplay instead of Dice Rolls.
Something you would know if you bothered reading the stuff you try to answer.

It seems you are not aware of this.
But Asteroid Hotspots are Persistent and only get Displayed if the Material is available.
There is no RNG.
You go into a Hotspot and you are Guaranteed that some of the Asteroids have what you are looking for.
Moreover. If you know the Mining Job you can mostly tell up front which Asteroids you need to look at for what Material.
This is way different from Commodity Rewards on Missions.
There is no Specific Place you can go to be Guaranteed finding a Mission for that Commodity.
There is no Skill Factor looking for the right Mission.
You open the Mission Board and Cross your Fingers.

Of course thats like the 10th or so Time I explained that to you.
And I know you wont get it this Time either....

I am just curious about a thing...

All the other stuff you need to collect, to do the actual engineering stuff.
How do you that without any RNG involved?

Lets take a common thing to collect for FSD, Datamined Wake Exceptions.
1. Mission Reward... oh well, we already know that mission rewards is RNG and there is no guarantee for that specific reward, and not all stuff is offered as mission rewards either.
2. Scan stuff, in this case, scan wakes with a wake scanner, and this is also RNG, as you are not guaranteed to get what you need from a scan.
3. Signal Sources, no guarantee that the desired signal source will spawn, so RNG.
4. Material traders, well in this case, Data Traders, but to use this one you need to have stuff to trade, so you need to get this from either mission reward or scanning stuf, ie 1 and 2.

So I do not get this hatred for this one item, Modular Terminals, it is a one time unlock per play through. Especially as this is a very common game play mechanics in most games, to offer randomized reward in one way or another, the most common variant of this is that you do not know before hand what the reward you get is, ie, you must do the task and then it will reveal what reward you got.
Mining, unless you are very good at getting back to the same location, it is RNG to find stuff, core mining, needs to scan and identify potential ricks, laser mining is to sample or send out prospector limpats. An activity full of RNG to find the specific stuff you want.

Combat, full of RNG, what ships spawns, how valuable are they, what material did they drop (if you are collecting this) etc, etc. Sure some skills is required for the combat thing,but it is not like you can go to a haz rez and expect to inly meet wanted Elite Anacondas... or go to a conflict zone and just fight capital ships. etc, etc

Trading is less random, especially if you use external tools, but if you go by only using ingame tools, you are very much down to luck and randomness to find good trading routes.

Exploration, again, RNG all over the place, as you need to get lucky in finding undiscovered high valued stuff, or simply make hundreds if not thousands of jumps to find a few high paying systems.

So I do not get why this particular thing is any worse than all of the other things we this game has, that is based on being lucky...

It Decreases the Chance that you get Offered a Mission with that Reward which then is Locked because you dont have Sufficient Reputation to Accept it.
It does not Affect the Dice Roll itself. So wether or not the Mission Drops is not dependent on your Reputation.
I would tend to disagree with that as I do see a higher amount of missions given with these commodities when allied with factions also higher amounts of commodities offered as a reward. The more factions in a station you are allied with increases your chance of getting the one mission that provides more than enough commodities to unlock items.

It's been three days - surely you've found your MT by now?

Found them loooooong ago. In fact way ago before even opening this Topic. As was Stated Several Times.
But hey. Thanks for Demonstrating to Everyone that just as I said already. You dont bother actually Reading the Stuff your trying to Answer here.

I am just curious about a thing...

All the other stuff you need to collect, to do the actual engineering stuff.
How do you that without any RNG involved?

Lets take a common thing to collect for FSD, Datamined Wake Exceptions.
1. Mission Reward... oh well, we already know that mission rewards is RNG and there is no guarantee for that specific reward, and not all stuff is offered as mission rewards either.
2. Scan stuff, in this case, scan wakes with a wake scanner, and this is also RNG, as you are not guaranteed to get what you need from a scan.
3. Signal Sources, no guarantee that the desired signal source will spawn, so RNG.
4. Material traders, well in this case, Data Traders, but to use this one you need to have stuff to trade, so you need to get this from either mission reward or scanning stuf, ie 1 and 2.

So I do not get this hatred for this one item, Modular Terminals, it is a one time unlock per play through. Especially as this is a very common game play mechanics in most games, to offer randomized reward in one way or another, the most common variant of this is that you do not know before hand what the reward you get is, ie, you must do the task and then it will reveal what reward you got.
Mining, unless you are very good at getting back to the same location, it is RNG to find stuff, core mining, needs to scan and identify potential ricks, laser mining is to sample or send out prospector limpats. An activity full of RNG to find the specific stuff you want.

Combat, full of RNG, what ships spawns, how valuable are they, what material did they drop (if you are collecting this) etc, etc. Sure some skills is required for the combat thing,but it is not like you can go to a haz rez and expect to inly meet wanted Elite Anacondas... or go to a conflict zone and just fight capital ships. etc, etc

Trading is less random, especially if you use external tools, but if you go by only using ingame tools, you are very much down to luck and randomness to find good trading routes.

Exploration, again, RNG all over the place, as you need to get lucky in finding undiscovered high valued stuff, or simply make hundreds if not thousands of jumps to find a few high paying systems.

So I do not get why this particular thing is any worse than all of the other things we this game has, that is based on being lucky...

You already Answered yourself there Really.
Gathering Engineering Materials has a Safety Net Build in.
A Fallback in case RNG just Refuses to give you the thing you need.

This is called the Material Trader.
Indeed I cannot Guarantee what kind of Data I get in the Collection Methods. So getting a Specific Engineering Data. Is something Reliant on RNG in that Method.
However. I can Guarantee that I get Data by doing Data Collection. And if RNG decides to Screw me over. I can always just go for the Coup de Grace by just gathering enough Blanks to Buy the Material I need.

And Fun Fact for you. I did Complain about this in the Past when Materials Traders did not Exist. Thus there being no Way to Guarantee getting a Certain Material.

There is no Hatred Specifically for MTs actually.
MTs are merely the Example Item as they are one of the Items ONLY Available from Missions. With no other way to Obtain them.
Something I also said several Times already. And something you should actually know if you had bothered Reading my Posts Properly.

Yes. RNG is a very common Mechanic Choice on MMOs. Mostly on those MMOs too lazy to Create a Coherent System.
It is also a Standard Choice for Games that want to prevent Player Skill to have too much Influence on the Player Success and Progress.
But thats Irrelevant. Because ED is its own Game. And I am Complaining about a Mechanic in ED. Not about other Games.
If other Games have such Mechanics I will Complain about them there. Which I am doing by the way. You can be sure of that.
Albeit most of these Games which Rely on RNG for Majority of things tend to Suck and thus aint something I would Play in the First Place.

This is just Flat out Wrong. Because once more.
If you Enter a Hotspot of a Certain Material. Then you are GUARANTEED. That this Hotspot does Contain that Material.
The only thing Randomized is its Location.
And if you Methodically Scan through the Asteroids. You will Find it.
In Fact Proficient Miners are that Good at Finding it. That they Can Guarantee Finding 100-200 Tons of that Material in 1 Hour extremely Consistently.
I myself currently Mine Painite. Using 2x4 Prospectors. Getting roundabout 150 Tons of Painite per Hour consistently each time I enter the Ring.
I can Guarantee that if I go into a Specific Hotspot for Painite. I will Consistently 10 of 10 Times go out of that Hotspot with at least 50 to 100 Tons Painite after 1 Hour.
So the RNG at best is. If I go out of the Hotspot with 50 or 200 Tons of Painite.

This is Different from the Mission Board.
The Mission Board HAS NO GUARANTEE that a Mission for a Certain Reward is Available.
There is no Station Cluster where you have a Guarantee that one of these Stations will have the Mission for that Item Available. With the RNG only being which of the Designated Stations has the Mission.

If you are Unlucky enough. You might Spend several Days looking at Mission Boards on every Stop. And not get a Mission that is Offering MTs.
Meanwhile another Player might be Lucky and on 3 Stations he Stopped each offered him a Mission with MTs as reward.

And having an RNG Range. Of 0 to 100 MTs per Hour by Checking Mission Boards.
Compared to having an RNG Range. Of 50-200 Painite per Hour by Checking a Painite Hotspot.

Is as you might Notice quite a Difference. Because in one Case you will always go out with the Item you wanted. And the worst RNG can do to you. Is to make your Grind Longer.
While on the other Part. The RNG might just Outright Refuse you to Progress.

Of course that as well is Something I have now Explained Several Times over. And I have no Doubt you will still not get it and just keep Repeating that Bullcrab about Mining being RNG.....

And Sorry. But if you really cannot Comprehend how having a 100% RNG Reliance on wether or not you are Allowed to take a Single Step Forward. Is WORSE. Than having a 50% RNG Reliance on wether you are Allowed to take 5 Steps Forward or 10 Steps Forward. Then I really dont know what else to Tell you.
Because I somehow dont think you have the Mental Capacity to ever Comprehend the Problem anyways.

I would tend to disagree with that as I do see a higher amount of missions given with these commodities when allied with factions also higher amounts of commodities offered as a reward. The more factions in a station you are allied with increases your chance of getting the one mission that provides more than enough commodities to unlock items.

I love you go from "tend to disagree" to making the Outright Claim that your Position is Right without a Doubt.
But that aside.

No. There is 2 Reasons for that.

The Mission Board can be Updated by ANY Player in the Instance.
Which means. Even if you do not call up the Mission Board. As long as a Player in your Instance calls it. You have a Set of Missions there which wont Change until you either Change the Instance or Wait for the Preset Time to Refresh it and get a New Set of Missions.

So if your Idea was True. That would mean. Other Players would get Better Missions if someone with a High Rep on that Station Refreshed the Mission Board First in that Instance of the Game.
Likewise if a Player with Good Reputation was the Second Player to Check. He would be Faced with worse Missions cause the other Player did not have his Reputation.

The Mission Board Always Includes Missions of higher Ranks than you are.
Which means. If your Scenario was True the Mission Board would constantly Create Missions that you cannot Possibly take. Because even on Factions that Absolutely Hate you.
It will offer Missions that you can only do if they are Allied to You.
These Missions are of course Blocked to you. Because you are not Allied to them. But they are Displayed.
This would make no Sense if like you say they would offer you better Missions if you got Good Reputation.

So No.
Having a Good Reputation does not Increase your Chances to get a Mission Offered with Modular Terminals.
However. If you have a Bad Reputation. It might happen that a Mission with Modular Terminals is Offered. But you cannot take it. Because it requires a Higher Reputation.

Having a Good Reputation does not Increase your Chances to get a Mission Offered with Modular Terminals.
Well it does, if you are neutral with the faction you are doing mission for and they offer a "mission only commodity you are looking for" and its only available to friendly then you are hecked so having "Good Reputation" does help but i can see what you meant, you can be unlucky.
But like a lot of peeps said in this thread its not hard at all to find a "mission only commodity you are looking for"; lets say "MT" have a ~5% to ~10% of being a reward (don't know if one is true), well you have to be really unlucky not to get any for a day.

Last time i did look for "mission only commodity" got it in my first mission board so they are not that rare (was allied with the faction)

I play Warframe and a good thing has a ~0.02% chance to drop on rare enemies, do player complain yeah they do, do the devs do anything: nope because they don't really need to;
i can understand that you complain about a ~0.02% drop chance on a rare event but for 'common' thing even if its RNG i'm 'not into that'
at least i'm not aware of a 0.02% drop rate in ED

And if you Methodically Scan through the Asteroids. You will Find it.
In Fact Proficient Miners are that Good at Finding it. That they Can Guarantee Finding 100-200 Tons of that Material in 1 Hour extremely Consistently.
I myself currently Mine Painite. Using 2x4 Prospectors. Getting roundabout 150 Tons of Painite per Hour consistently each time I enter the Ring.
I can Guarantee that if I go into a Specific Hotspot for Painite. I will Consistently 10 of 10 Times go out of that Hotspot with at least 50 to 100 Tons Painite after 1 Hour.
I never found any good tutorial about "Methodic Scan through Asteroids" would be nice if you or another cmdr did a tutorial on that, coz i'm always lucky with finding some good roids or BIG unlucky and lose 1h of my meaning less time :( [that's a big sad moment]

Last edited:
@Sunleader if everyone (but one person) on this thread disagree with you its because "mission only commodity" are not hard to get, and since FC are a thing you don't even have to farm them anymore.

So No.
However. If you have a Bad Reputation. It might happen that a Mission with Modular Terminals is Offered. But you cannot take it. Because it requires a Higher Reputation.
People are going to take you even less seriously if you insist on spouting wrong information as incontrovertible fact, and this is a good example.

What we know, and has been confirmed by FDev developers, is that the mission server takes your rank and reputation into account when generating a mission board for you. It generates a spread, so if you are not at maximum rep it is possible that some - perhaps even many - of the generated missions are ones you cannot accept. However it is both true and trivially easy to demonstrate that the missions you get improve dramatically as you go from Neutral to Allied reputation, as well as going from Harmless/Penniless/Aimless to Elite ranks.

That you are unaware of such a widely-known mechanic makes me think that your insistence on being right is blinding you to the actual facts of the situation.

It usually doesn't take too long to find mission-specific goodies. What exactly is the problem beyond a lack of instant gratification?

:D S

Top Bottom