General Remove private Lobby and single Player

Between Fleet Carriers and Apex your ability to intercept someone doing BGS in Open is also incredibly limited anyway.

FCs let you go from carrier to station with virtually no supercruise time ; Apex can't be interdicted ; Odyssey missions only fail if you die at the site, so shooting someone's ship as they return to your system having completed some makes them more efficient.

At every single stage Frontier makes it easier to complete tasks - even in Open - without other players being able to meaningfully interfere, and still people think that modes are the problem with competing with other players :)

hmm, fair amount of negativity, understandable.
there is no need for anger in any form though, is there?
many of us have been in these threads many, many times, we know where it goes.
perhaps its unknown to OP.
It is a terrible pain to try and find such useful info in this forum, so I can't blame anyone for missing anything here.

All that aside, I will say, pvp has purpose, no reason to have that conversation at this moment. Because it is a waste of your effort for your goals.
Time is the biggest factor in this game.
you have 24 hours each day for BGS, each daily influence changes.
you have 7 days every week to work the PP.
lost time chasing things you cannot control is against your goals best interest, nothing can replace the lost time.

but, the game is designed so that 1 person can affect something as easily as a group of 5 can. Far more if you are experienced enough.
If you just focus and stick to your goal, you stand a chance of success, but if you deviate to try to stop others, you are more likely to fail and miss your goal.
Time you lose is time you accomplish nothing useful. plus as another person said, it is more likely you will just cause yourself grief with bounties against you but worse is damage you are likely to cause to the systems you fight in.
There is zero pluses to fighting for the purpose of stopping someone. 1 it cannot be done, 2 you are not adding anything to your goal by doing it, you are going backwards at that point.

the history has already been explained here and as far as all previous threads on this topic go, its never going to happen.
And there is no cross platform other than carriers. they persist in all modes, but not the owners.

And all we really wanted was to make it so that playing in solo or private group does NOT affect PP or BGS.
and we can't even get that.

99% of the game, you will be fighting against invisible players, no matter your path.
Unless you choose to get a lot of friends and play together this is how it actually is.
this is very doable and is the only way to work against opposition that is too great for 1 cmdr or at least 1 inexperienced cmdr.
if you are very into the PP and/or the BGS, I recommend this path, get/make lots of friends and learn from each other.

some of us have been here doing all these things since the game started. There is nothing you and 20 friends could do to stop most of us from anything.
but you alone or with friends can effectively compete against us. but you have much to learn first.

good luck. enjoy the black.

Yeah I reckon by now he's rethinking whether people are really all that great to play with after all. Talk about walking into the wrong part of town to express your strongly held views about how unbelievably great your part of town is 😅.
I don’t mind the mild ridicule, which I’m certainly guilty of myself, mainly because many times these suggestions as old as the game itself are presented as fresh and new. They still may be, to new players and forumites, but i suspect many of us are a little jaded at going around the merry-go-round again and again! But I agree that the negativity can sometimes come across rather harshly even when not intended and that’s not cool, so thanks for making me glance inwards for a second or two!

That’s the thing though, this is a relatively niche community of passionate players of all playstyles and enthusiasms, and as someone who utilises all three modes I feel I respond the same to both extremes of the spectrum. That Elite manages to gather so many broad playstyles under one umbrella, all seemingly equally unhappy, is probably to game’s highest credit 😆

All the time this has been up, arguments to keep private/solo is better. But I would like to remove ability to influence minor factions and power play in solo/private. Then you can fight all you want in conflict zones, it will not change the outcome. You can undermine to get merits, but only change your reputation. That would change the game to what it was ment to be.

All the time this has been up, arguments to keep private/solo is better. But I would like to remove ability to influence minor factions and power play in solo/private. Then you can fight all you want in conflict zones, it will not change the outcome. You can undermine to get merits, but only change your reputation. That would change the game to what it was ment to be.
I can’t disagree with you on Powerplay but the BGS is a bit more abstract, it’s more a game of indirect PvP if anything. In fact, with the current implementation PP is probably the same whether that’s correct or not (@Rubbernuke is my go-to villain for clarifying the way it currently works versus how it should work).

The way the rubbery nuclear one describes it PP is just about traceable in real-time so each player’s activities can be tracked from merit generation (forgive me for my terminology, I don’t Powerplay myself) to delivery and effect. The BGS on the other hand is highly abstracted; if you encounter me in any instance in the galaxy you have no way, other than my naive honesty, to track what I’m doing, what missions I’ve picked up and for what factions I’m pushing/harming influence, barring you catching me doing something obvious such as War states and the like. You can’t ever really follow my actions through to their direct effect on faction influence, so your claim to be ‘opposing’ me by direct PvP is a little fallacious as you have no firm way to know exactly what I’m doing you’re opposing. Unless you’re just annoyed I’m flying around your screen, in which case you’re free to oppose that whatever fashion you wish 😉 I’d hardly call it ‘playing the BGS’ though! The best way for you to ‘oppose’ my BGS actions as I understand it is to counter with your own influence push for your supported faction; that is, play the BGS more and smarter!

As ever, if I misunderstand anything about the game mechanics and I’ve got this horribly wrong I’m happy to be corrected!

No one likes to play or fly alone all day.
Speak for yourself. I prefer solo mode and so do lots of other players.
Frontier is never going to make ED open only, so your rather one sided suggestions will thankful never happen.

I hope this get some attention (maybe someone can link it or notify Frontier of this).
You want us to notify Frontier about this? Are you for real?
Do it your 🤬 self if it's that important to you.

Last edited:
but i suspect many of us are a little jaded at going around the merry-go-round again and again!
And yet they still choose to, and in many cases (not this one, where I think the OP takes it too far anyway and is a fish in a barrel for the ensuing forum gank) they trot out the same myths that were vaporised in the previous thread. NB I don't think you're much of an offender tbh. Anyway, I'm too jaded to care 🙃.

tenor (1).gif

hmm, fair amount of negativity, understandable.

It's not just about the point of view though is it, it's about the tone, the use of the word "force" and a complete disregard for other players desires and motivations in playing the game. That is the only reason I posted on the thread, otherwise I read them but mostly ignore them, but when someone posts a desire to "force" me to play the way they want it requires a response, otherwise all FDEV get to do is read one side of the argument and eventually maybe of that's all they see they start thinking maybe that's what the players want!

The OP set the tone, other people angered by the tone and not necessarily the content?

PvPers are at best a nuisance when I am trying to do other things. Force me to play in open, and I block everyone I come into contact with, or fix my router to take advantage of ED's rather sketchy networking to prevent instancing, or I just don't play at all.
Even many PvPers play in solo/pg when it comes time to do other things.

I have to say though, since I bought a new PC and router, and did not bother to enable PNP, force a static IP, or forward ports, or any of the other nonsense people suggest to improve instancing while making my system and network less secure, I hardly ever see anyone in open at all. Even in places like Deciat or Shin Dez I am only seeing one or two. (As usual, all of my other multiplayer games still work fine without those things BTW.)

The way the rubbery nuclear one describes it PP is just about traceable in real-time so each player’s activities can be tracked from merit generation (forgive me for my terminology, I don’t Powerplay myself) to delivery and effect. The BGS on the other hand is highly abstracted; if you encounter me in any instance in the galaxy you have no way, other than my naive honesty, to track what I’m doing, what missions I’ve picked up and for what factions I’m pushing/harming influence, barring you catching me doing something obvious such as War states and the like.
The PP mechanics is directly work for the powers. You haul fortifications, that can be stopped by blowing you up. You undermine, that can be stopped by killing you prior to collecting the reward. That is two aspects of PP. You have systems that is controlled by and exploited by a certain power. You can see this as a bubble. In the center is the control system, all withing a given distance from that system is in that control bubble. So you secure the bubble by hauling fortification to the controlled system.

BGS is a big part of that. Hudson is strong against Feudal and Patronage systems. So if you take a Hudson controlled bubble, all systems in that bubble that is either feudal or patronage gives a bonus to the control system. It will be easier to fortify. So there is a lot of BGS where certain minor factions are pushed up the ladder with influence, and at some point that will trigger a war with systems with greater influence. Then by winning the war that minor factions influence will increase, and at some point be the controlling minor faction in that system.

I have done a lot of those wars, in conflict zones for those factions. We won all rounds, we did not see any players fighting for the other side, and the war was lost. That result of war can change a lot in that bubble. So my point is, all that affects the balance in the galaxy should only be allowed in open, and influence is the key there.

Top Bottom