Roadmap leaked??

Have you considered that it could be an intentional leak filled with true and false information?
Just to see the players reaction and make further choices for the future... They should've realized now that we prefer atmospheric planets to spacelegs 🤣
No.

But I can believe it's providing someone with much amusement at the moment.

Oh god, I hope this doesn’t lock functional content for bases and ships behind a paywall! This game will take a huge dump if it goes this route.

I do love the idea of getting out of my seat and wandering around my ships, though. Hopefully there is gameplay around repairing or reloading your ship while in super cruise assist mode!
I don't see it. Micro transactions work great for games with millions of players. It doesn't matter if you annoy the majority of your players because when 10% buy a €5 DLC that's still several hundred thousands revenue. If only 10% of the Elite community buys something that's next to nothing, which only makes sense for low effort stuff like paintjobs.

With GDPR, non disclosure agreements and employment contracts as they are in the current age, I strongly feel that leaks like this are unlikely to happen.
I suspect that its either a deliberate release by FD or a bit of made up fun by someone.
Either way its a bit of fun speculating what is ahead, in the absence of any further information from FD.

Wondered when this thread was gonna pop-up. This news is a few days old now. I don't actively follow this forum or the game anymore, and even I heard of it on other outlets.
Back in the day, people would have jumped right away to speculate on the news, regardless of its veridity. Now it took a few days and a video from a longtime game supporter to get a thread started here.

Wondered when this thread was gonna pop-up. This news is a few days old now. I don't actively follow this forum or the game anymore, and even I heard of it on other outlets.
Back in the day, people would have jumped right away to speculate on the news, regardless of its veridity. Now it took a few days and a video from a longtime game supporter to get a thread started here.
It's true, you're definitely better than us.

Well that is what usually happens in the games, people tend to play rather than be at the forums (me being here now after kickstarter for other reason than some bugs has been very very rare, problem with a launcher brought me here now).

Just saw the video and to me it's obviously a troll post, the phrases used, unlikely statements, so many red flags.
Nothing to see there, just move along and wait until Fdev themselves make some announcements, something that could take a while but at least then you'll know it's legit.

Sorry no intention to offend anybody, but anything in this thread just does not make any sense, just another space legs/atmo-planets arguement at best again.

We all (should) know limits of the game engine, P2P and instancing will most likely make any kind of base building impossible.

Atmo-planets would be far more realistic aim (lighter version DLC for modern consoles, equal to PC version for next gen consoles), it would close the circle between first Elite/Elite 2 and FFE (Elite 3, that had planetary landings and stuff we have already now like mission boards, assassinations and passengers on board from stations/cities).
Base building is completely doable. NMS already has it and that game's P2P architecture is even more primitive than Elite's.

I would be happy to see both, but just still need to say that I have no understanding on programming, but actually developing based on this (P2P) engine multipple constantly changing modular bases might actually be much more complicated than design and code with PG (procedural generation, that will produce unlimited amount of alternatives after put in enough variables).

Actually some algorithms on code like simple planetary formations, trees/weed/plants/desert and even animals from smaller area and replicate it on different forms on different planets might require much less work than nursing what and where ever players deside to put their base in (and if choices are possible, in what form?).
The base components would be below ground and specific to the player. No need to alter the overall map for all players, just the individual visiting the base. It would be a singular instance. Maybe multicrew visitors, but that is all. You visit city X on a planet surface and expand on your personal space within that city. This model could be applied to all stations as well.

I wouldnt say maint mode exactly. Its being worked on more than ever.

This year will be more of the same updates we got last year. Core changes happening before they release the big update at the end of 2020.

The new player stuff is a obvious hint in their direction. Even last year, and the multicrew we have now is all a foundation for later.

Some of this stuff could be true, could be a guess or something heard in the grapevine. Theres something there thats for sure.

My only worry is sometimes things should be straight forward, and developers do some crazy stuff to be different than everyone else. Back to League of legends, they do this quite often where they make crazy random stuff that really doesnt fit, or an attempt to bend the balancing rules of a game.

I hope they pick and choose what to be creative with and what should be direct.

I get the feeling that the leak is most likely fake but man, its still exciting to speculate on the possible future of elite. If theres any truth to it, I don’t see why base building would be a bad thing, being able to add more customisation in any form would be good for business and keep people coming back.

Edited

Last edited:
Planet Coaster 2 raise red flags to me, why would they already be working on two, when there still so much potential to be built on.

Plus another oddity is that Sony and Frontier team up to get ghostbusters into Planet Coaster and no other projects. Seem a bit weird to me, especially as Universal license Jurassic park to Frontier an license other properties to frontier for planet coaster.

Jurassic Park survival game make sense given the ending of the last film.

Last edited:
I dont think the crowd that like survival base building games will enjoy the rest of ED enough to invest the time.
If they dont have ED already for its spaceship aspects, then shoehorning in Base build mechanics wont change that.

ED is a spaceship simulator. Base building is off tone for this game.
ED can be more than one thing. You can explore, fight, trade, so maybe you can build too?

Interesting. Some sounds legit, and some smells fishy, such as the ED "FPS" stuff. Seems like the ED portion was written to troll those who want atmospheric landings instead of space legs. I can't imagine that Frontier would focus on one to the exclusion of the other ("haven't seen any mention of atmospheric landings"). What is more, if Frontier was planning on a full-blown FPS expansion, it would seem more logical to me to expand landable planet types first as that would provide more variety for FPS encounters. That part just doesn't ring true to me. Base building, on the other hand, wouldn't surprise me. Not sure how that could be accomplished in ED, but giving players the ability to carve out their own little niche in the galaxy doesn't seem outlandish to me. It would certainly make for a much needed credit sink!

Having said all that, if the next expansion is heavy on FPS stuff, that would be a big disappointment to me. ED is about spaceships first and foremost. I wouldn't mind some "space leg" functionality incorporated at some point, but having the game go full CoD against aliens would be a huge misstep in my opinion. I am not looking for that type of gameplay.

As for that unannounced strategy game, if true, please let it be Elite-themed! :cool:

Overall, though, I don't buy this post. It just doesn't ring true to me.

Last edited:
I'm one of those people who would be equally happy to see either space legs OR atmo landings, so either one would be fine by me, they both sound absolutely fantastic. First time I've ever heard of base building though, I really hope it doesnt end up MP only, I dont think MP is really ED's strong suit, look at how multicrew turned out.

Top Bottom