Roadmap leaked??

Obviously I have no objections stuff I don't have to use, I only think it is a waste of time vs. other, more exciting stuff that could be added instead.
Everyone is different. Some people will be very excited for base building.

After years of stale development, I don't have the slightest hope that they can do atmospherics AND space legs at the same time. I guess legs is like developing a new game with the added burden of making it work in the existing framework.
I am pretty sure that the people that do the planet surfaces will not be the same people working on space legs or base building.

But I do agree, atmospheric flight would be the best to have, to me the only major benefit of spacelegs is that stations won't look like ghost towns anymore.
I can think of many ways that space legs can improve the game, such as mission expansion, exploration of the insides of alien ruins, exploration of generation ships which may not be as abandoned and empty as we think. But yeah, I would prefer atmospherics first. Time will tell.

Normally I would not feel that entitled to tell what people prefer, but I rarely if ever seen any post craving for player owned locations. In other words, I think people prefer loads of other stuff that could improve the space legs experience basically anywhere in the galaxy, oppsed to an improvement that is limited to a single point.

By far the biggest issue with this game, yes.
Frontier did not learn the fact (for those who are offended by the choice of words: IMHO) that improved procedural content trumps hand crafted content value, especially given how solid the Stellar Forge is. Atmospheric vistas would power the ED Subreddit for years, while new handcrafted stuff like blobs in space and walking up to a spacecraft in a hangar is interesting only for weeks.

FD need to give ED emergent content, not simply procedural content. Things like Powerplay done well would be self sustaining and keep up interest through interaction. Making ED into a screenshot simulator would be its death knell. Just looking at Reddit shows the total lack of content it has since 90% is screenshots of something round with a ship in frame.

Everyone is different. Some people will be very excited for base building.

I am pretty sure that the people that do the planet surfaces will not be the same people working on space legs or base building.

I can think of many ways that space legs can improve the game, such as mission expansion, exploration of the insides of alien ruins, exploration of generation ships which may not be as abandoned and empty as we think. But yeah, I would prefer atmospherics first. Time will tell.

I guess we think alike with the only exception that I always consider development resources limited, and whenever I see a feature I consider what else would be better instead.
Base building, surely popular as long as it comes without compromise. Once you say base building instead of something like the ability to access the rim of the orbis stations - not so sure.

Same goes for the atmospherics, I think it is unlikely that FDev would compromise the resources by developing two major expansions that have to work together at the same time when they have to deal with another ~2 years of virtually empty release cycle.
I'm a complete outsider, so if anyone proves me I'm wrong... I would be happy to be wrong in this case. :)

I guess we think alike with the only exception that I always consider development resources limited, and whenever I see a feature I consider what else would be better instead.
Base building, surely popular as long as it comes without compromise. Once you say base building instead of something like the ability to access the rim of the orbis stations - not so sure.

Same goes for the atmospherics, I think it is unlikely that FDev would compromise the resources by developing two major expansions that have to work together at the same time when they have to deal with another ~2 years of virtually empty release cycle.
I'm a complete outsider, so if anyone proves me I'm wrong... I would be happy to be wrong in this case. :)

While I appreciate that there is 'stuff' you'd rather see worked on Space legs and Atmospherics will both be major game sellers, like I said in an earlier post 'a game bought is cash in the pocket and it doesn't matter how many times it's accessed and played'

I personally would prefer Legs to Atmo, as Legs will allow access to as many areas you could imagine and others you couldn't, whereas, as far as I can see (which is perhaps not very far) Atmospherics will give us pretty vistas and perhaps a variably bumpy ride... for which the awesomeness 'may' gradually drain over the course of a few weeks.

However, both would be fantastic (probably) and along with Base building? yes, that would be very nice!... one at a time, any two would a bug fixers nightmare, but all three together?... there would be more bugs to squash than there were in all Starship Troopers films put together.

Space legs would actually make most sense. At least all the cosmetics we have been able to buy for our appearance would finally make sense. What good is that badge on your commander if no one can see it? Or that shiny suit that you bought? Or that limited edition patch?
I’m going full beige,like a fricking ninja!

I can see atmosherics coming out in bits and pieces. The Mars type planets will have pretty much the same gameplay as what we already have on non-atmospheric planet, but with a sky and atmosphere. I'm sure there will be changes to the flight model too depending on atmospheric conditions, but I do not see that as major work like space legs and all the gameplay that can be involved with that. As I said, if there is a serperate team, which I believe there is (Dr Anthony Ross from what I remember is in charge of planetary surfaces now, which intimates a team), then we could get both. A small team on the updates before the next expansion, a team on planets and the majority on Elite Feet.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
FD need to give ED emergent content, not simply procedural content. Things like Powerplay done well would be self sustaining and keep up interest through interaction. Making ED into a screenshot simulator would be its death knell. Just looking at Reddit shows the total lack of content it has since 90% is screenshots of something round with a ship in frame.

Although I fully agree that a better and more refined territorial gameplay element through PP and/or the BGS would be fundamentally sustainable and self motivating for a large section of the player base, I disagree that the opposite is a death knell for the game. The game seems to have done reasonably well for almost 5 years so far and player concurrency and revenue figures seem quite solid overall.

There seems to be tons of player generated emergent content that does not really need territorial elements. We owe a lot of that to the stellar forge.

As much as I would also like to have that territorial element much better fleshed out (FDEV would not need to spend resources on these “interstellar initiatives” for exemple) we can’t deny that the game has done relatively well without it so far.

Last edited:
Although I fully agree that a better and more refined territory gameplay element through PP and/or the BGS would be fundamentally sustainable and self motivating for a large section of the player base, I disagree that the opposite is a death knell for the game. The game seems to have done reasonably well for almost 5 years so far and player concurrency and revenue figures seem quite solid overall.

As much as I would also like to have that territorial element much better fleshed out we can’t deny that the game has done quite well without it so far.

Compare Star Citizens Reddit with EDs: they are almost the same- screenshots and people saying how great it is to finally own ship X. Players of both games only talk about pretty screenshots which to me suggests a major lack of content and features in ED and that SC is still years from a game.

Why are they not talking about when the Guardians finally came back and forced us to choose them or the Thargoids? Or the fight for survival when Thargoids ripped apart a megaship with them in it? Or when a Power leader said and did something morally ambiguous? The reason being no-one talks about anything else is that what else is produced is weak with no context or meaning. Lore has essentially died in ED, it used to be interesting but now is reduced to sound bites and small stories. Lore should be ongoing, with simultaneous stories each day drip feeding us details about the game and the world.

I don't want to come across as a doom monger because I don't believe ED is doomed. What makes me angry is the wasted opportunities which are right in front of the devs.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Compare Star Citizens Reddit with EDs: they are almost the same- screenshots and people saying how great it is to finally own ship X. Players of both games only talk about pretty screenshots which to me suggests a major lack of content and features in ED and that SC is still years from a game.

Why are they not talking about when the Guardians finally came back and forced us to choose them or the Thargoids? Or the fight for survival when Thargoids ripped apart a megaship with them in it? Or when a Power leader said and did something morally ambiguous? The reason being no-one talks about anything else is that what else is produced is weak with no context or meaning. Lore has essentially died in ED, it used to be interesting but now is reduced to sound bites and small stories. Lore should be ongoing, with simultaneous stories each day drip feeding us details about the game and the world.

I don't want to come across as a doom monger because I don't believe ED is doomed. What makes me angry is the wasted opportunities which are right in front of the devs.

Hehe, no worries. I agree the territorial element is a bit of a wasted opportunity (and still, lots of commanders thoroughly enjoying the BGS as is, bugs and all, etc). But we shouldn’t forget there is probably a very significant amount of emergent gameplay, or otherwise player generated activities, coming from non territorial elements such as DW2, Fuel Rats, IDA, Canonn, racers/rallies and a large etc

Last edited:
If FDev add base building to the game (as in NMS) let's hope that the grind is not as tedious as in NMS, having played said management game not in creator mode... but at least NMS goes VR in Summer so I can wander around my 3 room palaces...

Being a right old killjoy I can see no purpose for spacelegs or planetary bases in ED, but as a minority voice I don't mind really, I'd guess that in line with other things base building would be optional and space legs in solo would be ok...

If FDev do introduce Base Building I hope they understand what they are letting themselves in for.

I remember CCP estimating that to build a Titan in Eve Online would take 4-6 months and thousands of players. In the end iirc it took 2-3 weeks...easy enough to design out of by relating materials required to "real world" volumes i.e. if there's a million tons of aluminium in a base, then it takes a million tons of aluminium...

Also where CCP did get it right was having to maintain player owned "stations" or they shut down and got deleted eventually. Natural degradation would provide a wonderful credit sink (any home owner will appreciate this ;) ).

Just a few cents fwiw...

I can see atmosherics coming out in bits and pieces. The Mars type planets will have pretty much the same gameplay as what we already have on non-atmospheric planet, but with a sky and atmosphere. I'm sure there will be changes to the flight model too depending on atmospheric conditions, but I do not see that as major work like space legs and all the gameplay that can be involved with that. As I said, if there is a serperate team, which I believe there is (Dr Anthony Ross from what I remember is in charge of planetary surfaces now, which intimates a team), then we could get both. A small team on the updates before the next expansion, a team on planets and the majority on Elite Feet.

I think the erosion on such planets is a difficult subject if FDev tried to approach it in the usual scientific way.
I believe we'd get access to gas giants first as in those cases all you have to worry about is an atmosphere with an exclusion zone.

In any case, preorder, or buy at luanch is only warranted edit: considered if they add atmospherics.

Last edited:
I think the erosion on such planets is a difficult subject if FDev tried to approach it in the usual scientific way.
Oh I agree. I was more talking about any gameplay mechanics. Weathering and weather is a tough job to do right, but if they have a dedicated team working on it for at least two years, then I can't see why it can't arrive at a similar time as Elite Feet. But I would expect it to be a different DLC though then the main expansion, maybe a number of different DLCs.

I believe we'd get access to gas giants first as in those cases all you have to worry about is an atmosphere with an exclusion zone.
It would make sense.

In any case, preorder, or buy at luanch is only warranted edit: considered if they add atmospherics.
All depends on implementation for me. If space legs has stuff that looks good and will likely enhance my play time, I will get it and may even pre-order.

If it's atmospherics, then again, its all down to the implementation.

Not sure if this was already posted but base building would require a dedicated server.

With the current structure, all player owned items like ships and SRV disappear when the player logs out.
So if player 1 would build a base somewhere and then log out, the base would also disappear. Problem is now that if player 2 would build a base in the same spot while player 1 is offline and then player 1 would log in, there would be two bases overlapping each other.

So without a dediacted server which saves all the bases build in the galaxy, I do not see bases or other "permanent local objects" possible.

Not sure if this was already posted but base building would require a dedicated server.

With the current structure, all player owned items like ships and SRV disappear when the player logs out.
So if player 1 would build a base somewhere and then log out, the base would also disappear. Problem is now that if player 2 would build a base in the same spot while player 1 is offline and then player 1 would log in, there would be two bases overlapping each other.

So without a dediacted server which saves all the bases build in the galaxy, I do not see bases or other "permanent local objects" possible.
Base combat logging would be the new sport !

why they can't store info on the base like they do for exploration data even without dedicated server?
Obviously there is a server used to save all changes to the simulation.

They do have dedicated servers.

Top Bottom