sense of scale in VR and a burried IPD variable

So does this solve the "cockpit/bridge" interior looks like the inside of a cathedral problem? Because it feels like I'm sitting in front of 12' tall windows.

This makes me want to play in VR again. Only reason is stopped was because for some reason my controller would lock out after a Jump now and then making me ram into stars. But when I play on desktop every now and then it auto minimizes the game, so tomato tomato I guess :p (can’t figure out why, would love to) but I remember my first time playing VR. Always thought on my 43” tv that planets were small and the capital ships were unimpressive. Then I went to VR. And holy mother of god are things huge lol. The capital ships are BEAST! Totally changes the game.
Still won’t use VR for exploration tho. The sky isn’t black enough and the resolution on the Rift isn’t so great by comparison so all the sight seeing looks a little too blurry for my taste. But mission running and bounty hunting etc, Thargoid bases etx. fantastic.

You should try and figure out which app is stealing focus. Just bring up task manager and wait for your game to get minimize and see what process did it by sorting by CPU use. That process should jump to the top of the list.

I think it does what it says on the tin, adjusts the IPD, hence why results will vary.

Most likely, but I am sure I remember this setting being discussed some time ago in the VR forum with a consensus that it didn't really do much if anything and the in-game IPD was actually hard-coded.

Either way up, it seems to work for me and as with all these things YMMV.

Meso

Anyone else tried this out? I'm going to give it a try anyway, though scale is a weird thing given I've never found myself sitting in the cockpit of a spaceship flying past a gas giant at a few thousand miles.

You really need to get out of the house more you know...

So, the sense of scale never seemed right to me. I've been playing more and every time I did, it was nagging at my brain. So,today... I dug around and found a settings file at
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\settings.xml
Within this file there was a variable...
<IPDAmount>
and it was set to 0.020300
:O
I set my vive to 60.3 (the lowest it goes) because my IPD is 60... So... I figure 1 must equal 1 meter and change the number to 0.060300 I save open the game, get in the cockpit & BOOM!
Night and day, the game makes sense now. I've been reading all these posts for the past year trying to convince me I was crazy and everything looked fine... Seriously, there are people out there telling people like me that the game is scaled perfectly & the reason it doesn't look right has to do with all this mumbo jumbo about how your eyes can't resolve the detail & the game actually thought my eyes were two centimeters apart....
:|
So... if you think the sense of scale is off in VR, try tweaking that variable. There's also a <StereoFocalDistance> variable, but I have no idea what the maximum is... wish there was some kind of reference out there... I think it defaults at 35, I set it to 70 and the stars/planets looked MASSIVE during super cruise flyby... not sure, maybe placebo? think it just changes the focal point of the 3D effect... so higher numbers will focus farther away... no idea though tbh. maybe sightedness will determine what setting feels the most comfortable. Since the headset can't predict where you're focusing, the best you can do is set the focal distance somewhere in your own goldilocks zone. again, no idea what I'm talking about.

Vive user here, everything looks about 2/3's scale and large objects look like miniaturized versions of themselves that are never more than 100 feet away. I can't wait to try this out...

So, the sense of scale never seemed right to me. I've been playing more and every time I did, it was nagging at my brain. So,today... I dug around and found a settings file at
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\settings.xml
Within this file there was a variable...
<IPDAmount>
and it was set to 0.020300
:O
I set my vive to 60.3 (the lowest it goes) because my IPD is 60... So... I figure 1 must equal 1 meter and change the number to 0.060300 I save open the game, get in the cockpit & BOOM!
Night and day, the game makes sense now...

Following.

Following.

Using the CV1, never had isssues with scale. Just changed <IPDAmount>0.001000</IPDAmount> to <IPDAmount>0.006000</IPDAmount> didn't notice anything, the pilots body has always been a little too small, however if I compare the X52 in the game to my real X52, the size has always been correct. same with the pilots chair, if I stand up next to the chair, the height and width of the chair on the ship looks correct. If I am sat floating above an Earth like world, it looks and feels like I am floating above a giant planet.

Am pretty sure the VR scale issue only affects people with a very high or very low IPD, also explains why a minority seem to have issues with the scale in VR.

Last edited:
Using the CV1, never had isssues with scale. Just changed <IPDAmount>0.001000</IPDAmount> to <IPDAmount>0.006000</IPDAmount> didn't notice anything, the pilots body has always been a little too small, however if I compare the X52 in the game to my real X52, the size has always been correct. same with the pilots chair, if I stand up next to the chair, the height and width of the chair on the ship looks correct. If I am sat floating above an Earth like world, it looks and feels like I am floating above a giant planet.

Am pretty sure the VR scale issue only affects people with a very high or very low IPD, also explains why a minority seem to have issues with the scale in VR.

Hm. Cheers Triple7D :)

Wait, if you just went from 0.001000 to 0.006000, and 1.0 = 1 meter, doesn't that mean you just went from 1 mm to 6 mm? I wouldn't think that would make much difference anyway.

That said, I just tried setting it to 0.060000 and I can't really say it did anything for my sense of scale. On the other hand, there seems to be almost no "shifting" as a look around anymore. I don't really know how to describe it. There was always a slight "shifting" of my perspective as I looked around, no matter how well I aligned the Rift to my face and dialed in the physical IPD setting. It was very slight and I was barely aware of it, but now that it's gone it actually feels a little weird.

I never had huge scale issues with my Vive, but I think this made a small difference - previously, if I stretched out my feet and compared them to the avatar's, the avatar's feet seemed to be about 10 cm closer to my face - now the legs seem to be about the same length.

Then again, I didn't do very thorough testing, maybe I remember wrong and it was always like that, maybe it's placebo, whatever

People who did have problems with scale should try this.

Wait, if you just went from 0.001000 to 0.006000, and 1.0 = 1 meter, doesn't that mean you just went from 1 mm to 6 mm? I wouldn't think that would make much difference anyway.

That said, I just tried setting it to 0.060000 and I can't really say it did anything for my sense of scale. On the other hand, there seems to be almost no "shifting" as a look around anymore. I don't really know how to describe it. There was always a slight "shifting" of my perspective as I looked around, no matter how well I aligned the Rift to my face and dialed in the physical IPD setting. It was very slight and I was barely aware of it, but now that it's gone it actually feels a little weird.

Still testing, just tried <IPDAmount>0.066000</IPDAmount> Just going to enter some crazy number

Wow, I think this actually works, I set back to default, compared my avatars shoulder width against my real shoulders, the avatar is a bit too small. Set to <IPDAmount>0.077000</IPDAmount> and ingame body is larger, everything else is larger, but it looks correct because everything is still 1:1 scale.

More people should test this, may be a great way to fine tune the perceived scale in the game.

Edit - Arrgh, I don't know, wen't back to default again and things still look life size (big) Probably all in my head. Am going to stick with 0.077000 though. VR is so trippy.

Last edited:
Wow, I think this actually works, I set back to default, compared my avatars shoulder width against my real shoulders, the avatar is a bit too small. Set to <IPDAmount>0.077000</IPDAmount> and ingame body is larger, everything else is larger, but it looks correct because everything is still 1:1 scale.

More people should test this, may be a great way to fine tune the perceived scale in the game.

:D
Now ditch the decimal point...

Last edited:
I'll have to give this a whirl when I get home. I've always felt like I'm in a body that's slightly too big for me (the ingame character is taller than I am), so it may help.

Okay, tried this out. My setting was a little different in format (Mine was 0.001000, so one extra 0 before the measurement started). But the difference in scale was subtle but significant. Absolutely wonderful stuff.

Okay, tried this out. My setting was a little different in format (Mine was 0.001000, so one extra 0 before the measurement started). But the difference in scale was subtle but significant. Absolutely wonderful stuff.

Maybe that's what it is, subtle but you definitely feel something has changed.

Top Bottom