sense of scale in VR and a burried IPD variable

My game setting was 0.0001, I altered it to 0.07 and didn't notice anything and if I'm thinking about it, it shouldn't do anything as the hardware itself adjusts the image. I suspect it's a leftover value that's not used.

You could manually adjust the software through a tool before oculus home was released, and in many other games you can adjust the IPD via software. When I had my DK2 I could see a massive diffence when I adjusted my IPD to a crazy value, I'd be sitting in my Anaconda feeling like one of those blue giant aliens from Prometheus

VR sure as heck *is* trippy. You fly DCS too? It has a IPD setting too. The effect is subtle but profound.

See, when you focus at something close to you, you go a little crosseyed. This is very noticeable if someone snaps a pic of you while you try to focus on a spoon held an inch from your nose. Anyway, the proprioception (the self-reporting of your body) of the amount of cross-eyedness is apparently an important factor in judging distance. Hence, knowing your IPD and setting it correctly in the software (be it DCS or Elite) makes for a subtle increase in realism to your VR.

Thats one use of IPD, the other is in making sure your headset is focussing right. If you set it wrong on your headset, headaches will ensue. Ideally software should poll your headset for IPD and use that. Apparently this works badly hence setting it manually has a distinct effect.

I would encourage all to experiment with getting this tweaked just so until it is perfectly right. It increases your VR comfort as well as immersion. Just tweak with care because going wall-eyed; having your eyes look *away* from one another is a surefire recipe for massive headaches. Trust me, I know :p

VR sure as heck *is* trippy. You fly DCS too? It has a IPD setting too. The effect is subtle but profound.

See, when you focus at something close to you, you go a little crosseyed. This is very noticeable if someone snaps a pic of you while you try to focus on a spoon held an inch from your nose. Anyway, the proprioception (the self-reporting of your body) of the amount of cross-eyedness is apparently an important factor in judging distance. Hence, knowing your IPD and setting it correctly in the software (be it DCS or Elite) makes for a subtle increase in realism to your VR.

Thats one use of IPD, the other is in making sure your headset is focussing right. If you set it wrong on your headset, headaches will ensue. Ideally software should poll your headset for IPD and use that. Apparently this works badly hence setting it manually has a distinct effect.

I would encourage all to experiment with getting this tweaked just so until it is perfectly right. It increases your VR comfort as well as immersion. Just tweak with care because going wall-eyed; having your eyes look *away* from one another is a surefire recipe for massive headaches. Trust me, I know :p

Wise word, I was warned about screwing around with IPD when I first got my DK2, still tried some crazy things, ended up with a massive headache one day.

It is interesting in itself that those of us who have cared to look in the settings file have found different values before we made any changes. I wonder why that is.

Meso

Hey folks it’s off topic but figure the VR crowd might have an answer. My Oculus is opening Elite in desktop mode even if I manually select open in VR. It leaves the headset on ‘loading’ and plays it in desktop.

So, the sense of scale never seemed right to me. I've been playing more and every time I did, it was nagging at my brain. So,today... I dug around and found a settings file at
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\settings.xml
Within this file there was a variable...
<IPDAmount>
and it was set to 0.020300

Weird. Mine is set to 0.00100 However, that's after a reinstall and I haven't played it since reinstalling. Let me see if that changes after loading it up the first time...

...okay, loaded it up a couple times. Changed some settings, went back. Still at 0.00100

Just an FYI on this. I'll change that setting to 0.00640 (I have my IPD set at 64) and see what's what.

Edit: Dang nab it. I wish I could say definitively if there is an improvement or if it's in my imagination, but I can't. I think there is, but that could be a confirmation bias. It seems my FPS situation has improved, but that probably has to do with my reinstalling of the game (which was a suggestion made recently elsewhere).

Stupid humans and their unreliable testimony...

Edit Edit: I do think SOMETHING is happening, because I'm adjusting my headset far less due to visual problems (the Levono Explorer has a small sweet spot and I'm right on the edge of it's IPD range) and mostly just for comfort. But it could be a placebo, who knows?

Last edited:
Edit: Dang nab it. I wish I could say definitively if there is an improvement or if it's in my imagination, but I can't. I think there is, but that could be a confirmation bias. It seems my FPS situation has improved, but that probably has to do with my reinstalling of the game (which was a suggestion made recently elsewhere).

do a blind test, instruct someone to make you test with different settings several times. if you can't correctly guess considerably more than 50% of the time, it's definitely placebo. if it isn't next to 100%, then the effect is probably negligible.

personally, i see no reason ipd sould have any impact either on performance or on perceived 'scale': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupillary_distance

but, who knows what that setting could internally be affecting ...

Last edited:
I sat in a number of different cockpits last night. Again, the differences were subtle, but really made a huge immersion difference to me. My -perception- is as follows:

Things close remained close with very little change. (Exception to the keyboard in the Anaconda which now felt to be within reach.)
Things at a distance were larger, not shrinking with that distance so quickly. (Able to clearly see a Thargoid interceptor at 12km without target brackets. Improved gunnery significantly. Isuk. ;) )
Space Stations: Felt less stretched out. Sense of scale was larger, and less like a hallway in a horror movie.
DBX: No change really.
Adder: Tighter. Seats felt closer together. Less distance to rear wall.
Chieftan: Very similar. Maybe a little more cozy in the cockpit?
SRV: Same inside. Planet felt more expansive.
Vulture: Felt less like sitting in a bubble. A little tighter up front, less distance to the back wall.
FAS/FDS/FGS: Much tighter.
Eagle: Huge difference. Before felt like it was 10-12' to the front edge of the canopy. Now felt like about 5'. Really seemed to be sitting out on the nose now.
Anaconda: Cockpit felt less "hollow". Additional seats felt closer. Nose seemed more like the deck of a ship and less like a banana out in front of the canopy.
Corvette: Additional seats felt less distant. Seemed more like the bridge of a warship and less like a dancehall with chairs.

In all ships, it seemed the details focused more. The switches and wires in the various structural pillars were clear. (Which really makes me think the Anaconda's a discount vehicle off a used car lot....)

My Conclusion: It seems like there's an issue with the handoff for the IPD setting in the HMD to the game, and manually setting it really does make a difference. I'm not saying this isn't a placebo effect, but if it is, it's an illusion I'm quite happy to suffer from.

So, the sense of scale never seemed right to me. I've been playing more and every time I did, it was nagging at my brain. So,today... I dug around and found a settings file at
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\settings.xml
Within this file there was a variable...
<IPDAmount>
and it was set to 0.020300
:O
I set my vive to 60.3 (the lowest it goes) because my IPD is 60... So... I figure 1 must equal 1 meter and change the number to 0.060300 I save open the game, get in the cockpit & BOOM!
Night and day, the game makes sense now. I've been reading all these posts for the past year trying to convince me I was crazy and everything looked fine... Seriously, there are people out there telling people like me that the game is scaled perfectly & the reason it doesn't look right has to do with all this mumbo jumbo about how your eyes can't resolve the detail & the game actually thought my eyes were two centimeters apart....
:|
So... if you think the sense of scale is off in VR, try tweaking that variable. There's also a <StereoFocalDistance> variable, but I have no idea what the maximum is... wish there was some kind of reference out there... I think it defaults at 35, I set it to 70 and the stars/planets looked MASSIVE during super cruise flyby... not sure, maybe placebo? think it just changes the focal point of the 3D effect... so higher numbers will focus farther away... no idea though tbh. maybe sightedness will determine what setting feels the most comfortable. Since the headset can't predict where you're focusing, the best you can do is set the focal distance somewhere in your own goldilocks zone. again, no idea what I'm talking about.

A BIG thank you for this! Repped! I've updated the value from 0.001 to your settings... I'll see if this helps... I find reading anything with the Vive on really hard. Its obviously not setup correctly, but I don't know how to do it correctly! I wish there was a single <simple> guide that gave step by step instructions on how to set up the Vive with ED correctly ... As it is, there are a myriad of graphic setting in different places to figure out! <I'M LOST>

If anyone knows of such a guide... PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! [yesnod]
If anyone is willing to offer some guidance - Please Do!!! [yesnod]

...The effect is subtle but profound....

You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means

Subtle and profound would be mutually exclusive, it's either one or the other. IMHO this is clearly a placebo as I've tested it both ways with several friends and see absolutely zero difference. Measuring as best I can where things are in relation to each other they are exactly the same. We'd need some kind of confirmation from Frontier as to what this does or if it has any impact but I'm pretty damn sure it does nothing.

~X

Top Bottom