sense of scale in VR and a burried IPD variable

Tested it on the rift.
Went from default 0.001 to 0.006 to 0.06 - but it made no difference.
My ingame character still seems a little bit to small, cockpit and planets also like always.
Probably like Nagual said, just leftover value that's not used.

Subtle and profound would be mutually exclusive, it's either one or the other. IMHO this is clearly a placebo as I've tested it both ways with several friends and see absolutely zero difference. Measuring as best I can where things are in relation to each other they are exactly the same. We'd need some kind of confirmation from Frontier as to what this does or if it has any impact but I'm pretty damn sure it does nothing.

~X
A subtle change could have a profound impact.

I checked the IPD setting in the XML file and it was already set at the correct place. I use a rift, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Tested it on the rift.
Went from default 0.001 to 0.006 to 0.06 - but it made no difference.
My ingame character still seems a little bit to small, cockpit and planets also like always.
Probably like Nagual said, just leftover value that's not used.

Yep, this.

No change in view at any settings I try. My pilot body is the size of a 10 year old.

I’ve increased the value progressively from its original to 10x larger. No change. Looks exactly the same.

This setting does nothing that I can see.

Yeah, my initial reaction was definitely a placebo effect. I know this because when I changed it I did it in the wrong directory (long story as to why, but short version is I have two installations of the game). So I had changed the values on the version I don't even use. When I changed it to the version I did use, I noticed no difference.

Yeah, my initial reaction was definitely a placebo effect. I know this because when I changed it I did it in the wrong directory (long story as to why, but short version is I have two installations of the game). So I had changed the values on the version I don't even use. When I changed it to the version I did use, I noticed no difference.

Yeah, it's clearly a placebo, I've played with this many times and can measure no difference at all.

A subtle change could have a profound impact.

I suppose that's true but that's not at all how I read it. Either way it's very clear this is just placebo so folks shouldn't waste their time on snake oil.

Changed the values. Made no difference. In-game body still looks small/thin. Planets and stars still look big but not massive. I have an IPD of 73 and have my Rift's IPD set to 70.

I tried it, I thought it enhanced everything, then reverted, and saw it the same as before. So I think it's placebo effect.

Last edited:
Changed the values. Made no difference. In-game body still looks small/thin. Planets and stars still look big but not massive. I have an IPD of 73 and have my Rift's IPD set to 70.

ipd 0f 73....

CiNeKWb.jpg

do a blind test, instruct someone to make you test with different settings several times. if you can't correctly guess considerably more than 50% of the time, it's definitely placebo. if it isn't next to 100%, then the effect is probably negligible.

personally, i see no reason ipd sould have any impact either on performance or on perceived 'scale': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupillary_distance

but, who knows what that setting could internally be affecting ...

Massive necro, but this is so weird I felt like posting anyway.

So I have a Lenovo WMR set, it does not have hardware adjustable IPD. In-game, I look like a kid. The scale is absolutely 100% off and while VR is still great, the sense of scale is a major bummer. Changing the value in the INI changes nothing whatsoever. I made big changes, small changes, ridiculous changes: it really matters nothing whatsoever. But that is not because IPD settings don't matter for scale, but because ED simply doesn't do anything with this and it seems a left-over from development.

WMR allows for software adjustment of IPD. It ranges from 59m to 67mm. My eyes are 33m and 34.5mm from the center, so an IPD of 67.5mm. Now here is the fun part: setting the software IPD to the opposite of what my eyes actually are fixes the scale. I've it set at 59mm and I look like a grown man and everything makes instant sense. It isn't a subtle effect, it is the difference between 'lol, what on earth is wrong here?!' versus 'this is perfect!'.

I have no explanation for this, so I wont bother coming up with faux-sciency nonsense. But if anyone is using a VR set and the scale is off, try mucking about with the sofware IPD in ways that may not make sense. I've been playing with the 'maximum wrong IPD' for hundreds of hours and it looks great without any headaches or nonsense.

If you use SteamVR you can easily adjust your IPD (no idea if it works for WMR devices)
  • Start SteamVR.
  • Go to your internet browser and enter:
  • In the "Type a command" input box (just bottom of the page) enter:
    • settings steamvr.ipdOffset -0.00XX
  • Note: The offset value is in meters, if you want to reduce IPD by 3mm, enter 30 there - i.e
    • settings steamvr.ipdOffset -0.0030
  • Restart SteamVR.
I set an offset of -0.0030 in mine and now with my Vive Pros physical IPD set to my actual IPD the games scale actually looks correct. Without using the above offset things look a little on the small / thin side.

Last edited:
can confirm. Lowering the IPD in WMR settings make your character "larger".

Last edited:
Could this be something where some headsets report their IPD to the game and override this setting, while others don't so the setting has effect?

So many very opposite reports of people saying their eyes are 1meter apart and seeing no difference. while others adjust by 10 mm and feel much better.

I have a Rift S, my first headset, and when I first turned it on without adjusting anything, I was amazed by the sense of scale. Amazed.
I do notice my in-game body is a little shorter than me. I'm 6'1" and feel like this guy is like 5'10 or 11". But hands and controls seem reasonably close. He doesn't seem like a child like some have said. I think something must be off on those user's headsets.

My IPD seems to be about 62 and I have the Oculus software set that way. I think maybe it's overriding the game's XML setting, because why would both be active?
Could that explain why some of you see a huge difference? Maybe your headset it's publishing it's IPD to the game?

Could this be something where some headsets report their IPD to the game and override this setting, while others don't so the setting has effect?

So many very opposite reports of people saying their eyes are 1meter apart and seeing no difference. while others adjust by 10 mm and feel much better.

I have a Rift S, my first headset, and when I first turned it on without adjusting anything, I was amazed by the sense of scale. Amazed.
I do notice my in-game body is a little shorter than me. I'm 6'1" and feel like this guy is like 5'10 or 11". But hands and controls seem reasonably close. He doesn't seem like a child like some have said. I think something must be off on those user's headsets.

My IPD seems to be about 62 and I have the Oculus software set that way. I think maybe it's overriding the game's XML setting, because why would both be active?
Could that explain why some of you see a huge difference? Maybe your headset it's publishing it's IPD to the game?

None of Elite's config files effect IPD at all. This game really needs a world scale slider like a lot of other sims do, it doesn't so people tend to try and use IPD settings to increase the scale. Using an Oculus I think you're pretty much stuffed when it comes to IPD adjustment, particularly on the "S" which uses software IPD.

None of Elite's config files effect IPD at all. This game really needs a world scale slider like a lot of other sims do, it doesn't so people tend to try and use IPD settings to increase the scale. Using an Oculus I think you're pretty much stuffed when it comes to IPD adjustment, particularly on the "S" which uses software IPD.
Well, as I said, I think mine is right. I’m just reading through this whole thread and some people seem to find this to be a huge difference and I wonder if some headsets might not “handle” this for the game, in the way that HMDs (including my rift s) do it; making this setting have actual impact.
Or maybe it’s placebo.

For the record, the IPD setting on rift s works just like this one would in the game software. Since it doesn’t move the lenses, it’s just changing how much separation the render used to displace each eye. So it really is a direct “scale” adjust for the depth of the 3D.
That’s why I think it may overlap (override) this game setting. Some headsets probably don’t have this software setting. Possibly ones that have actual mechanical IPD setting that’s actually moving the lenses. Maybe that’s why some see this actually changing things.

Top Bottom