SleepyDelegate's Chronicles - taking the DBX around the Galaxy

I just noticed a strange behaviour of ED observatory: when calculating the diameter of the ring, it takes the outer diameter, deducts the inner diameter and just then calculates the diameter in ls... So when in fact this ring has a true diameter of 77ls, ED Observatory only says 46... So I offer you both numbers:

true diameter: 77ls
ED Obs: 46ls

I just noticed a strange behaviour of ED observatory: when calculating the diameter of the ring, it takes the outer diameter, deducts the inner diameter and just then calculates the diameter in ls... So when in fact this ring has a true diameter of 77ls, ED Observatory only says 46... So I offer you both numbers:

true diameter: 77ls
ED Obs: 46ls

The built in Elite Observatory criterion for wide rings is looking at the width of the actual ring, not it's diameter.

If the ring is wider than 5 times the planet's radius it flags it, whether it goes from almost touching the planet to 5 radii or from 100 radii to 105. A really far out ring (with a large diameter) that's only a few thousand km across doesn't count as wide by that measure. Although if that's what you're looking for you can always add a custom criterion.

The built in Elite Observatory criterion for wide rings is looking at the width of the actual ring, not it's diameter.

If the ring is wider than 5 times the planet's radius it flags it, whether it goes from almost touching the planet to 5 radii or from 100 radii to 105. A really far out ring (with a large diameter) that's only a few thousand km across doesn't count as wide by that measure. Although if that's what you're looking for you can always add a custom criterion.

Thanks Commander, this explanation is probably correct! So it means, that Observatory does not report the diameter of the ring, but it's compound width:

Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 08.25.36.png

If that is the case, which it seems it is, it would make even more sense to report only the actual width, as there is IMHO no reason to add them together...

If that is the case, which it seems it is, it would make even more sense to report only the actual width, as there is IMHO no reason to add them together...

The width it reports is calculated as the difference between the rings outer radius and its inner, so that should be the actual width.

The width it reports is calculated as the difference between the rings outer radius and its inner, so that should be the actual width.

OK, I didn't mean to be disrespectful, or argue with you... Guess the width has different meanings for different people... For me, width is just one width (for example A, or B in the picture above), for astronomers, obviously, width is truly a difference between outer and inner radius... Thanks for the explanation!

Couple more pictures....

It's just pretty, not special... :)

Screenshot_0388.jpeg

Took me like 10 minutes to find a parking space on this 9km tall mountain... :LOL:

Screenshot_0391.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_0390.jpeg
    Screenshot_0390.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Screenshot_0392.jpeg
    Screenshot_0392.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Screenshot_0389.jpeg
    Screenshot_0389.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 220
OK, I didn't mean to be disrespectful, or argue with you... Guess the width has different meanings for different people... For me, width is just one width (for example A, or B in the picture above), for astronomers, obviously, width is truly a difference between outer and inner radius... Thanks for the explanation!

A is the width, the inner radius is from the centre of your diagram to the inner edge of the ring, and the outer radius is the distance from the centre to the outer edge of the ring so the difference should be A or B, not the sum.

If you've got evidence that the difference between the two values is actually A+B then the journal is, at best, horrifically mislabelled if not bugged.

Somebody help please!

I have found second site with Sinuous tubers, this time I have even collected some materials from them, I was trying hit them with my SRV, I tried talking to them, I even introduced myself to them, but still I can't see them in my CODEX as a new discovery... Why?

Screenshot_0402.jpeg

Somebody help please!

I have found second site with Sinuous tubers, this time I have even collected some materials from them, I was trying hit them with my SRV, I tried talking to them, I even introduced myself to them, but still I can't see them in my CODEX as a new discovery... Why?

View attachment 183316

Did you try composition scan?
Ehhhhhh... no? How do I do that?
Drive you SRV close enough, have a composition scanner on standby, and when it says ready, just press the assigned "Fire" button... easy...
Lemme try... Wait a minute...
Ohh... It works! Thank you my future myself! (y);)

In response to last week's discussion I would just like to point out that nowhere does Observatory use the word "diameter" in its ring width reporting.

That said, it also absolutely shouldn't be doubling up the width as you describe. Unless something pretty magical is happening it should only be reporting the width from outer radius the inner radius. This is the line where that number is determined:
1597059856197.png

So if you're getting anything other than a "single" width then I blame the original journal data. ;)

In response to last week's discussion I would just like to point out that nowhere does Observatory use the word "diameter" in its ring width reporting.

That said, it also absolutely shouldn't be doubling up the width as you describe. Unless something pretty magical is happening it should only be reporting the width from outer radius the inner radius. This is the line where that number is determined:
View attachment 183458
So if you're getting anything other than a "single" width then I blame the original journal data. ;)

I'm sorry, I truly got confused, I don't know why I mixed up diameter and a radius and I am aware of the fact, that Observatory refers only to width...

There is nothing wrong with Journal and nothing wrong with Observatory... I will also correct my other post in the other thread...

You are absolutely correct and again, I apologize for taking your time with this confused debate... 🙃

Did you try composition scan?
Ehhhhhh... no? How do I do that?
Drive you SRV close enough, have a composition scanner on standby, and when it says ready, just press the assigned "Fire" button... easy...
Lemme try... Wait a minute...
Ohh... It works! Thank you my future myself! (y);)

In my defence, yesterday I had typed out "I assume you scanned them with the composition scanner?" and was about to click on "post reply", but then noticed you said it was your second discovery of them, so I assumed you already knew about the composition scanner thingy.

And for future reference, you don't technically need to deploy your SRV: your ship has a built-in composition scanner too. You have to set it to a firegroup like the other scanners. Point it at a lifeform or geological feature and fire it.

Your ship can tend to be a bit "wobbly", especially if you're pointing down at a high angle or the local gravity is high, which can make aiming the scanner at small surface targets a bit tricky. So it might be easier in the long run to simply land, deploy the SRV, and use the SRV's scanner. Especially if you intend to do some material harvesting while you're down there. Of course, for spaceborne lifeforms like the crystals and molluscs that aren't found on planet surfaces, you'll need to use the one on the ship.

In my defence, yesterday I had typed out "I assume you scanned them with the composition scanner?" and was about to click on "post reply", but then noticed you said it was your second discovery of them, so I assumed you already knew about the composition scanner thingy.

And for future reference, you don't technically need to deploy your SRV: your ship has a built-in composition scanner too. You have to set it to a firegroup like the other scanners. Point it at a lifeform or geological feature and fire it.

Your ship can tend to be a bit "wobbly", especially if you're pointing down at a high angle or the local gravity is high, which can make aiming the scanner at small surface targets a bit tricky. So it might be easier in the long run to simply land, deploy the SRV, and use the SRV's scanner. Especially if you intend to do some material harvesting while you're down there. Of course, for spaceborne lifeforms like the crystals and molluscs that aren't found on planet surfaces, you'll need to use the one on the ship.

never assume anything... :LOL: ;)

Regarding the ships composition scanner, that's exactly what I experienced... ships was wobbly at a high AOA, but when I leveled it a bit, it became steady and I was able to scan it as well... But driving around in my SRV and collecting materials is more fun... :)

Thank you commander, appreciate it! o7

I bet this has never happened to anyone! 🙃:)🙃

I was goofing around these geysers, collecting materials, and I decided to do an experiment... For scientific purposes of course... What if I drive over the geyser?

Screenshot_0414.jpeg

Watch what happened:

I tried to replicate this stunt, this time being outside of my SRV, to get better footage of the SRV being thrown almost into orbit by these geysers and also to show my ship leaving on its own. But my holo me kept blacking out, probably due to high Gs, and my ship didn't go anywhere... Also, when I hit the surface, I hit it cabin first upside down and damaged my SRV hull, loosing 98% and barely survivig the crash... :oops: :)

BTW, strange thing - when my ship goes into supercruise and then comes back to the planet, it does not need to glide towards the surface, it just exits the supercruise just couple of meters above the surface... I wish I could do it myslef too... :)

Last edited:
3200 systems and no Notable Stellar Phenomena... I was already starting to give up... I was traversing from Colonia towards bubble, without any filter... So mostly K G M stars... Then I decided to filter to only O B A... After recalculating the route, I have found NSP immediately after jumping to my first sector... Amazing! :)

Screenshot_0417.jpeg

Then I continued towards one famous nebulae...

Screenshot_0421.jpeg

After that, I went to Jameson Memorial, to outfit my ship little better and continued to Deciat... I got 4A shields and 4 shield boosters, to stand a chance against gankers in Deciat... Prepared tactics against gankers and took off...

Before reaching Deciat, I had to get some meta alloys:

Screenshot_0423.jpeg

Screenshot_0431.jpeg

Screenshot_0435.jpeg

After arriving in Deciat, I immediately scanned my surrounding for suspicious player ships, but saw none... I targeted the Farseer Inc. and took the long way towards the station, arriving from behind...

No gankers whatsoever... Cool! I did not need to buy the shields and boosters... So I proceeded towards the station...

Got ganked on my first attempt to land at Farseer Inc... Ganker/Griefer was waiting close to the station and opened fire at me when I was requesting permission to dock... I tried some evasive maneuvers, but got killed after couple of hits...

So I respawned on the Farseer Inc. in my rebuy ship (luckily I have sold all my data at Jameson memorial) and watched what was happening on radio for a while...

Ganker was Cmdr Sagittasius (or so)...
Victim was some innocent guy who was just approaching planet, cant remember his name...

Ganker: Someone please help me!
Victim: what do you need commander?
Ganker: I need help getting to the base, I will explain later...
Victim: ok, I'm on my way, hold tight!
Ganker: ok, thanks!
Me: Watch out, Sagittasius is a griefer...
Ganker: How long?
Victim: 70km... I dropped to far from the station...
Ganker: OK... Thanks
Victim: 20km...

At that time, since he was obviously not listening to my advice, I decided to get busy with engineer, not paying too much attention to what was about to happen...

All I managed to see was a message after a while:
Victim: How did you kill me that fast?

At that time, I switched to Private, as I knew I could not stand a chance against this guy... I found out, that bringing meta alloys just unlocks the engineer... In order to engineer my ship, you need to get some strange materials and scans... Hmmm...

Long story short, I'm now trying to collect some materials... I learned, that dropping out of supercruise close to Non_human signal source is not a good idea... Although I managed to escape the battle, shortly before going into supercruise, I was hit by caustic missile, resulting in another rebuy after 3 minutes of slow destruction of my ship... :)

Screenshot_0441.jpeg

Screenshot_0473.jpg

You just have to love the game...

After short visit to the bubble, I decided to continue exploration. I decided to go diagonally as far up as possible... I ended up in this place, which was my final destination, a point where I thought I would decide where to go next.

After trying unsuccessfully to plot a course to stars around 1000ly away for couple of minutes, I kept shortening the distance and kept shortening and shortening, just to realize, that after using neutron boost to get to this final destination, there is no other star around, that I could jump to without using the fsd boost...The closest one is the neutron star that led me here...

So I thought this is the end... Self destruct, all the time and data wasted...

Then I realized, that I have materials to boost the fsd myself... 🤦‍♂️

Saved for a moment, lets see how far will it get me...

In the meantime, check this beautiful Class V giant just 4ls from a blue dwarf...

Screenshot_0467.jpg

Just another boring day of an explorer... :sneaky:

Naah... Im just kidding, it was super exciting! ;):giggle: Never had so many discoveries in one day... The system with those pumpkins was packed full of bodies with biological signs... Unfortunately only pumpkins of different kind, but still fun! ;)

Screenshot_0479.jpg

Screenshot_0481.jpg

Screenshot_0482.jpg

Screenshot_0492.jpg

Screenshot_0498.jpg

Top Bottom