So many players will come back if ship interiors are implemented

This is my first post even though I've playing Elite back in 2016, so I'll keep it brief.

I just saw the new ObsidianAnt video, some cool ideas about implementation on ship interiors there, but I was amaze of how many people stated that they will comeback for this feature alone in the comments. Don't get me wrong, even though I have Odyssay, I still play in legacy for the time beign (basically I want to start fresh in Odyssay and keep my legacy character exploring in the black), so I personaly don't have any particular inclination to either for or against ship interior for the time being since I'm yet to even test spacelegs.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pmnD8WoeQg

Wonder if the devs should listen to this request... apparently, have more tracking than some of the stuff they are focusing on like the Thargoid war and that kind of stuff.

Welcome to posting on the forums.

Interesting choice of first topic :)
What can I say? I've watch the conversation around the game a lot since I got it, never felt the need to give my two cents about anything before... I personally don't concern myself with things like if the game is dying, or if we need more ships, or whatever. I play mostly in private groups or solo and exploration has always being my primary focus, so I've enjoyed every iteration and update so far in my own way... as long as I can keep playing it, I'm happy. But this ship interiors thing keeps popping out in every youtube video and conversation I've seen for the last couple of years... might as well see if the devs are paying attention to the more active parts of the community or if these feature is even feasible at this point of development and budget.

No hidden intention really.

(Thanks for the welcome BTW ) :)

My contention with interiors is: you could do most of that now with whats in game (or at least approximate it) without upending an already wonky game thats taken a whole year to get going again.

For example: EVA / salvage could be done with first person limpet drones using on foot tools- combining POI debris, scanning (to locate stuff to salvage), telepresence, the cutter tool etc.

The other issue is that EDs ships were made perfect single pilot ships regardless of size- hence why MC struggles to find a role because automation has made others redundant.

I mean, it's obviously true that lots of players would come back if ship interiors were implemented - it'd be a major new feature and lots of people who aren't playing Elite Dangerous right now because they're playing something else instead would at least log in a bit to check it out. Similarly lots of people came back for the launch of the Thargoid War in November, or for the Odyssey release back in 2021, or for Fleet Carriers in 2019.

The more important questions are:
- would they stick around long-term, or would they look around their ships, do some trading and fighting, and then go back to whatever they were doing before?
- would they be willing to pay for ship interiors directly, or would it need to be funded on the promise of extra ARX sales because people would stick around?

And those are very dependent on the answers to "what can you do inside a ship that you can't already do / couldn't do better outside a ship or from the seat instead?"

"what can you do inside a ship that you can't already do / couldn't do better outside a ship or from the seat instead?"

Exactly. I don't think anyone would object to exciting new gameplay (well - except those saying first fix the bugs, or flesh out earlier concepts like PowerPlay), my own worry is that Fdev take a minimalist approach just to tick the "interiors" box - immersion eyecandy like the animations on hardpoint swaps. If there wasn't new gameplay but it meant I needed to clamber through my current ship and down the steps, then spend 30 seconds sipping a coffee while I watched the station services wheel in the next one, I'd rather fade to black.

While I quite understand when FDev said that ship interiors would be a horror show from a technical point of view, I don't quite agree with the explanation that players would simply get "bored" of them. In my opinion Odyssey is severely lacking in variety and content in starport interiors, of which one type could be static ship interiors, among others.

Exactly. I don't think anyone would object to exciting new gameplay (well - except those saying first fix the bugs, or flesh out earlier concepts like PowerPlay), my own worry is that Fdev take a minimalist approach just to tick the "interiors" box - immersion eyecandy like the animations on hardpoint swaps. If there wasn't new gameplay but it meant I needed to clamber through my current ship and down the steps, then spend 30 seconds sipping a coffee while I watched the station services wheel in the next one, I'd rather fade to black.
Yes. I'm reminded of the 2017/2018 conversations around "space legs" - "ED really needs the ability to get out of your ship and walk around, look at what you can do in No Man's Sky and Star Citizen" (and later, X4 too). So then, Odyssey. You can get out of your ship and walk around, and lots of people came back to Elite Dangerous for it ... for about a month.

Just as with "ship interiors", not much of the 2017/18 conversations about "space legs" were really focused on what you'd do when you got there.

I suggest to not focus on the "have ship interiors" aspect of OA's video. IMHO the more important topic is "what gameplay could be done with it". So I'd phrase it the other way around: If FDev gives us the mentioned, fresh and engaging gampeplay, I totally see how this gameplay will benefit from ship interiors. But I do not need more space for running around – just to run around. Even though I have to admit that would give us more variety for running around.

Yes. I'm reminded of the 2017/2018 conversations around "space legs" - "ED really needs the ability to get out of your ship and walk around, look at what you can do in No Man's Sky and Star Citizen" (and later, X4 too). So then, Odyssey. You can get out of your ship and walk around, and lots of people came back to Elite Dangerous for it ... for about a month.
You don’t think that’s it’s possible Frontier’s disastrous implementation had anything to do with dissipating the initial enthusiasm?

I mean, it's obviously true that lots of players would come back if ship interiors were implemented

Would strongly depend on how it was added. If FD's idea of interiors is on the level of Powerplay, then people might come back, look around, then quickly move on again.

Just interiors without anything else wouldn't really bring many people back or much interest most people who are still playing.

Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay.

While I quite understand when FDev said that ship interiors would be a horror show from a technical point of view,

There is a way of doing interiors that wouldn't be that hard, but I can pretty much guarantee a lot of players wouldn't like it, because it wouldn't be fidelitous enough.

(Basically separate world spaces between interiors and exteriors, fade to black transitions like we have now, windows are not actually transparent surfaces but viewports through to the outside world).

At the complete risk of sounding like a broken record, people aren’t asking for anything that’s a new idea when it comes to ship interiors and planets with considerably more atmosphere, these were trailed way back when the great founder was looking for gold to start the game with a kick.

It still amuses me that while I can travel all over the galaxy, I can’t travel through the door at the back of the cockpit :)

Top Bottom