Some ideas on getting the most out of the upcoming content

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
*Really* looking fwd to participating in meaningful goals supporting the expedition. Having a mega-ship at WPs would be awesome! Besides the amenities of docking, restocking, repairing and maybe some very limited outfitting (mining lasers?) I'd love to see the need for us to keep her in shape (maintenance) and stock her for the next jump.

Was thinking about having the option to sell exploration data at the mega-ship and having missions or CG to bring that data back home. That'd be interesting regarding risk/reward if the payouts for the exploration data would in some form depend on the success of those missions/CGs.

Anyway, and most importantly: Thanks Erimus and the entire DWE2 team for all your efforts!!!

Hm. You're suggesting quite a number of gameplay features that aren't implemented yet. Don't forget that Frontier have a business to run and a development plan for this year to achieve. Even if they are willing to implement your suggestions - and I hope they do! - that might still only be feasible for next year, or whenever their next planning period is.
Also, whatever comes in Q4 this year will be brand new, and likely require some time for players to familiarise themselves with. It might be better to launch an expedition that plans to utilise those not straight away, but after a bit of time, to see how things actually work in practice.
This is just my personal opinion, but I think that a Distant Worlds II 3305 would be better than trying to rush this.

Requirements

• An “Expedition-Class” Megaship with docking and outfitting facilities to act as the fleet flagship during the journey, and as the construction CG Hub at two specific deep space destinations.
  • The ability for commanders to deliver mined minerals to the CG tier goals when docked with the Megaship at its destination.
  • Discovery Scanners and Mining ‘Toolkits’ (cited for Q4), along with their associated hardware, available via outfitting aboard the Megaship.
  • SRV and Fighter resupply readily available from outfitting aboard the Megaship.
  • The Megaship is required to travel a pre-scouted Distant Worlds II route across the galaxy - hyperjumping to designated waypoints on a weekly basis.
  • Jumps would occur during Thursday server resets.
  • If technically possible, remaining docked aboard the Megaship during its weekly hyperjumps should not be an option as this would undermine the integrity of the events goal to be a challenging undertaking for the accompanying fleet. Shortcuts across the galaxy has often been a contentious discussion and is something we would prefer Distant Worlds not to be associated with.
Also, Shipyard. That way we could park a couple of specialized ships on the carrier before the expedition. So we could have engineered and outfitted different ships for different purposes with us as we go and at the waypoints.

Hm. You're suggesting quite a number of gameplay features that aren't implemented yet. Don't forget that Frontier have a business to run and a development plan for this year to achieve. Even if they are willing to implement your suggestions - and I hope they do! - that might still only be feasible for next year, or whenever their next planning period is.
Also, whatever comes in Q4 this year will be brand new, and likely require some time for players to familiarise themselves with. It might be better to launch an expedition that plans to utilise those not straight away, but after a bit of time, to see how things actually work in practice.
This is just my personal opinion, but I think that a Distant Worlds II 3305 would be better than trying to rush this.

Part of the reason to pitch it now is to present some ideas to FD that they may still have time to implement for the 'Beyond' series (logistical support for example)... obviously it's their game and their vision and it may not be a route they want to go down. But they're receptive to construction CGs, and we hope they're eager to showcase their new mining gameplay in Q4 - both of which DW2 really want to include on the event and combine together, if possible.

DW2 won't be rushed - it'll launch when it's ready, when all the pieces that make it up are in place, and when all the people who are overseeing each aspect of the expedition have everything they need to make their community created events fun. The CG would be a bonus, but DW2 does not depend upon it.

From a personal point of view, next year we're entering the 4th year of mass exploration events. If year 4 boils down to sightseeing, buzzing and scanning, I for one will be disappointed. Expeditions need to evolve.. We've had over 30 major ones since DW1 and they all follow the same script as there is very little flexibility for them to incorporate new gameplay mechanics and ideas. ED:Beyond is a chance for exploration and major expeditions to evolve into something new - given some love. :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
There is nothing suggested which would exclude XBOX or PS4 players either, so GET INVOLVED! This will be the trip of a lifetime with enough for everyone to feel like an integral part of the achievement. Just making it to Beagle Point is impressive, but if you could claim to have assisted a megaship across the galaxy you can hold your head high. When the time comes, sign up - this is what every explorer has been waiting for.

Way ahead of you JT. Will definitely be on YouTube by then, and hopefully, I'll have an X as well.

That's right my Xbox friends! I'll be on console for this!

I love the idea! [big grin]

One question/request: Will the megaship have a shipyard and the ability to take stored ships with it as it jumps? I'd like to be able to take my mining ship along for the ride, however it has poor jump range and I want to use my exploration ship as my jumping ship, which I don't want to bare down with mining equipment.

Also, Shipyard. That way we could park a couple of specialized ships on the carrier before the expedition. So we could have engineered and outfitted different ships for different purposes with us as we go and at the waypoints.

+1 to this. It would allow us to mess around with different roles through the expedition. In addition, with the new scanners coming online, it would prevent things from devolving into a "You must have an Anaconda to do any of these things" situation.

This is very exciting, I'm really looking forward to this!

I love the idea! [big grin]

One question/request: Will the megaship have a shipyard and the ability to take stored ships with it as it jumps? I'd like to be able to take my mining ship along for the ride, however it has poor jump range and I want to use my exploration ship as my jumping ship, which I don't want to bare down with mining equipment.

It's something that we're torn on at the moment. Some organizers want it, some don't. Part of the fun of signing up for these kinds of long duration events is putting careful thought into what you want to take and what loadout to fit as its going to be your home and your place of 'work' for weeks, far from humanity. If pilots can bring their own personal fleet along and store it in a shipyard, it kind of takes away some of the choices one makes during roster sign up (and DW2's roster sign up and how it ties into the overall mission is something we've worked really hard on and it's a work of art imho - can't say more yet though!). But yes, 'shipyard' is something that will be debated back and forth until we get a "go" "no go" from FD (later this year).

+1 to this. It would allow us to mess around with different roles through the expedition. In addition, with the new scanners coming online, it would prevent things from devolving into a "You must have an Anaconda to do any of these things" situation.

This is very exciting, I'm really looking forward to this!

If FD give us a megaship, we could ask for outfitting and module storage as that alone will allow people to take on multi-roles.

Last edited:
Exactly.

We could bring fighters (in case of pirates), mining ships ready to go, planet exploration ships, you name it.

This whole concept presented in this thread, is very exciting indeed.

I've had a proper read now - some fantastic ideas in there, especially relating to CGs. I have suggested myself elsewhere (as did others) that CGs need more of a chance to fail, and consequences of failure. Your ideas will make them much more involving.

Having outfitting available on board the megaship would enable people to role switch, which is important as everyone would have only one ship (I'm with you on the no-riding-the-megaship, so you couldn't have multiple ships). There are so many roles I want to do and a single loadout won't cover them all!

I do have a suggestion to add to your already-excellent ideas - introduce some three-dimensional aspects to the route and activities. E.g. you mention a telescope - two logical locations for such things would be above and below the core; between them, such places would cover almost all directions away from the Milky Way. How about participants trying to find appropriate systems, with routes up/down to them that could be used by the majority of ships, much as explorers have scouted routes between galactic arms?

I've had a proper read now - some fantastic ideas in there, especially relating to CGs. I have suggested myself elsewhere (as did others) that CGs need more of a chance to fail, and consequences of failure. Your ideas will make them much more involving.

Having outfitting available on board the megaship would enable people to role switch, which is important as everyone would have only one ship (I'm with you on the no-riding-the-megaship, so you couldn't have multiple ships). There are so many roles I want to do and a single loadout won't cover them all!

I do have a suggestion to add to your already-excellent ideas - introduce some three-dimensional aspects to the route and activities. E.g. you mention a telescope - two logical locations for such things would be above and below the core; between them, such places would cover almost all directions away from the Milky Way. How about participants trying to find appropriate systems, with routes up/down to them that could be used by the majority of ships, much as explorers have scouted routes between galactic arms?

+1

Great ideas! And we have a doc for them! One of the things we hope to encourage players to do, is post their ideas here. We're hoping there is time for players' ideas to be considered for Beyond (the focused feedback series indicates that's still the case). So anything submitted to this thread for DW2 will be added to that doc, and if it fits the goals we've outlined for this specific event, it'll be presented to FD at some point to see if it can work.

Your idea of building something high above the Galactic Core (for example) would be awesome. One of the old DW1 waypoints (#12 Altum Sagittarii) was situated about 2.8K above Sag-A* and its an awesome view from up there. I can imagine an outpost there. Which raises another point, there are some magical places in this game galaxy, hopefully FD will be receptive to putting some infrastructure out there as places like that really do showcase this gameworld at its best (imho).

Last edited:
Part of the reason to pitch it now is to present some ideas to FD that they may still have time to implement for the 'Beyond' series (logistical support for example)...
Personally, I doubt they have the time to make big changes to their development plan. Hence why I suggested that next year might be better, but another big part was that the Q4 mechanics will be fresh, which might lead to all sorts of complications. But hey, outside of FD, nobody knows about their plans.
Bear in mind that you're not presenting ideas to FD here: that would be the Suggestions and Feature Requests subforum. Although I assume they'll find this soon enough, if you haven't sent it their way already.

Also, my bad, I misunderstood things a bit. I thought this CG was your main plan for DW2, since most of the plans you've posted about the expedition involve it. But if the rest can go on without it, then please disregard what I wrote about waiting a bit.

An idea for the NPC pirating - make sure the NPC pirates that spawn are appropriate ships, suitably outfitted. That is, long-range vessels with fuel scoops, AFMUs and a compromise between combat capability and jump range - just like our own ships. This would have more of a feel of combat out on the frontier, where logistics are just as big a challenge to staying alive as fighting. Think Master and Commander, not Battle of Jutland.

I can see this being easily overlooked and everyone spending the entire expedition terrified that their little AspE is going to get bounced by a wing of hopelessly short-range FdLs that in practice could never have gotten that deep into space on their own...unless that's not a moon over there...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom