Spring dlc Speculation 2023

From Video:
You, know Planet Zoo its example of our developed launch and nature strategy. You know, we are now at 3.4 million base units, you know sales continue to be very strong and you know again when you just look at the stat there comparing two calendar years of 22 and 21, you know 80%,82% revenue for 2022. I think it just really shows how strong it is. And again, you know the great thing about natural history of there, plenty plenty more animals for us to create, you know one of things we do we are always looking at what other top 10 animals that our community want, we do them and another top 10 appears. So this game is definitely got, i was going to say tails and legs and things that, but we are vey very confident. This is continued to be very material revenue generating in in the forthcoming years.

Also opinion. Revenue drop is only caused thanks to mediocrity of last two packs: twilight and grasslands.
View attachment 342305
Its clear when line starts to drop: around august. Exactly when development of twilight pack was probably main thing going on.
Both pack either had low expectations from frontier and 80% of revenue compared to last year is what frontier was hoping for or these 2 packs are just medicore.
Wetlands and Conservation held steady against SEA and Africa, meanwhile Twilight and Grasslands couldn't compete with NA and Europe.

I mean who wouldnt predict revenue drop when your main selling points last 2 packs were roadkills, even more carnivorans, two ultra generic australian zoo animals and slighlty better exhibits?
Judging by reviews and social media engagement Twilight and conservation were not recieved as well as previous packs, but Grassland was the most well recieved pack in a long while.

In another thread, a comment that Cap said inspired me to start a little game:

So, with that in mind, let's build a set of DLC for this year, 4 total, plus a 4th anniversary. To more or less balance it out, here are the rules:

• You have a total of 23 habitat species
  • The ratio will be: for every 3 mammals, you need 1 bird. For every 3 birds, 1 reptile
  • Exhibit animals are free-for-all, meaning they won't follow the rules except that you have a limit of up to 4

Hmm

Educational Themed Pack
1 African Wild Donkey 'Working Animals'
2 Black and Gold Howler Monkey 'Animal Calls'
3 Shoebill - 'Hunters' (B)
4 Red River Hog - 'Foragers'
E* Panther Chameleon 'Camouflage' and Madagascan Big headed River Turtles

* following the addition of walkthrough exhibits hoping/guessing towards further expansion with another type of exhibit. iguanas were left out of the the educator handling update. Most of the exhibit animals don't mix well and need the contained vivarium (bugs, snakes, amphibians) but the iguana's can and terrapins can and so do chameleons with river turtles etc, and they can be with 'open' or adjustable windows of open-ness. (exhibits should be re-sizable anyway)

Islands Animal Pack
5 Tasmanian Devil
6 Kiwi (B)
7 Sulawesi Black Crested Macaque
8 West Indies or Antillean Manatee
9 Japanese Serow
10 Radiated Tortoise (R)
11 Fossa
E* Rhinoceros Iguana

Drylands Animal Pack
12 Crested Porcupine
13 Blackbuck
14 Patagonian Mara
15 Gelada
16 Bilby
17 Grey Crowned Crane (B)
18 Secretary Bird (B)
E* Bearded Dragon

Anniversary Animal
19 Spectacled Bear

Arboretum Pack
20 Linneaus Two Toed Sloth
21 South American Coati
22 Lar Gibbon
23 Tree Kangaroo
E* Rainbow Lorikeets

So how can we be more pragmatic in discussing the quality of DLC by their animal rosters? I genuinely don't know, so what do you all think?
You simply can't. The only real pragmatic and baseline metric you could possibly use for Planet Zoo is in the name. It's a zoo game, so the animals added in packs should probably be kept in captivity somewhere. But that's so broad, you can't really use that as a basis to discuss the quality of a pack.

Everything else is 100% subjective. There's no way around it. For instance, how unique an animal is within itself is already subjective, let alone how unique an animal needs to be to be good for a pack. If it was up to people who really only want unique animals with unique rigs, we'd most certainly would have skipped out on animals like the emu, which is a common zoo species.

Each one of us has a metric they can objectively judge a pack by. For me that's how common or how iconic an animal is in terms of captivity. For somebody else it's how unique it is compared to other animals in the game. For somebody else it's how useful it is to make mods from. The list goes on and on, simply because we all value different things in packs.

There simply isn't really a good metric to base the quality of the roster on that would be pragmatic or a baseline the community could agree upon. 😅

I'll just leave the forums then - thanks for making my opinion feel like garbage
Do what you wanna do, but what do you even want? If the last packs all where just clones to you, idk what animals would satify you outside of fully aquatic and aviary animals
Really to actually discuss your opinion and engage with it, from the last 4 packs, what animals felt like clones to you and maybe also why?

I'll just leave the forums then - thanks for making my opinion feel like garbage
No need for that. Your opinion is legitimate, and I agree with your criticism of people just dropping of list of species they'd like without adding much to the discussion, as well with the idea that new basic features would help vary the gameplay.

I just don't think dismissing the new terrestrial animals (and by extension those who like them) is a valid contribution to the discussion, especially when you don't supply a definition to what you consider a "reskin" and why it's detrimental to the game.

One thing I keep thinking about is what on earth to expect from scenery packs going forward. It seems like animal packs will stick to biomes which is a good theme and there is plenty of options. Since the regional DLC ended our two scenery packs have had very vague themes.... basically "endangered species" and "crepuscular species", the only other realistic one I can think of is "island endemics" before it feels like really stretching... Maybe "natural oddities" which I have played around with a few times, basically animals that are very distinct from their closest relatives (walrus, shoebill, etc). There really doesn't seem to be a coherent theme there, the Conservation Pack felt like they picked a bunch of highly requested animals then got a loose theme but for the Twilight Pack it felt like the opposite, they wanted Halloween scenery and then they threw in a bunch of crepuscular/spooky-ish animals. So I guess for scenery packs maybe we should think what kind of scenery would Frontier want to make and then what animals could fit that theme? Or we should look at what animals are highly requested but would struggle to fit in a biome pack? I'm really not sure!

From Video:
You, know Planet Zoo its example of our developed launch and nature strategy. You know, we are now at 3.4 million base units, you know sales continue to be very strong and you know again when you just look at the stat there comparing two calendar years of 22 and 21, you know 80%,82% revenue for 2022. I think it just really shows how strong it is. And again, you know the great thing about natural history of there, plenty plenty more animals for us to create, you know one of things we do we are always looking at what other top 10 animals that our community want, we do them and another top 10 appears. So this game is definitely got, i was going to say tails and legs and things that, but we are vey very confident. This is continued to be very material revenue generating in in the forthcoming years.

Also opinion. Revenue drop is only caused thanks to mediocrity of last two packs: twilight and grasslands.
View attachment 342305
Its clear when line starts to drop: around august. Exactly when development of twilight pack was probably main thing going on.
Both pack either had low expectations from frontier and 80% of revenue compared to last year is what frontier was hoping for or these 2 packs are just medicore.
Wetlands and Conservation held steady against SEA and Africa, meanwhile Twilight and Grasslands couldn't compete with NA and Europe.

I mean who wouldnt predict revenue drop when your main selling points last 2 packs were roadkills, even more carnivorans, two ultra generic australian zoo animals and slighlty better exhibits?
OMG the roadkills is soo true. I still buy it to help bring their revenue up.

At this point and age, I really don't know what to expect. And to be honest, I love it.
I still hope for my beloved Highlands/Mountains animal pack and flying birds, although my hopes and dreams for proper flying animals are just... low. I know that small birds in the walkthrough exhibit are deemed to happen, and I'll be happy enough with it, but I just can't see animals like vultures or macaws being properly implemented.

In another thread, a comment that Cap said inspired me to start a little game:

So, with that in mind, let's build a set of DLC for this year, 4 total, plus a 4th anniversary. To more or less balance it out, here are the rules:

• You have a total of 23 habitat species
  • The ratio will be: for every 3 mammals, you need 1 bird. For every 3 birds, 1 reptile
  • Exhibit animals are free-for-all, meaning they won't follow the rules except that you have a limit of up to 4
that probably what I'm hoping for, I'm hopeful that this year we will get those Animals!
So Let's start!

Zoo Pack
African Crested Porcupine
African Spurred Tortoise
Linnaeus's two-toed sloth
Mallard
Walkthrough Exhibit: 5 species of Macaws

Islands Pack
Tasmanian Devil
Goodfellow's Tree-Kangaroo
North Island Brown Kiwi
Fossa
Walkthrough Exhibit: 5 species of lorikeets

Coldlands Animal Pack
Wolverine
Takin
Spectacled Bear
Musk Ox
Golden Snub Nosed Monkey
Alpine Marmot
Walrus
Non Walkthrough Exhibit (the same as the walkthrough exhibit but without option that guests can enter the exhibit): Atlantic Puffin

4th Anniversary

Dromedary Camel

Shrublands Animal Pack
Secretary Bird
Hamadryas Baboon
Patagonian Mara
Short-Beaked Echidna
Honey Badger
Greater Rhea
Collared Peccary
Exhibit: Black Mamba

I mainly used my preferences and meta wishlist. According to the exciting news that we will get another whole year of content I think we will get another spring dlc just because CY2023 only ends in May which means we might get spring dlc too!

CY2023 only ends in May
You are confusing the fiscal year (FY) with current year (CY) Current year also called the calendar year which ends on the 31st December. Fiscal year is a self set business year which ends a year after like may or whenever while current year is determined by the calender which the business resides in

fiscal-year-definition-federal-budget-examples-3305794_final-c54e01b8314f424a8aefacb8c126d192.png

Last edited:
You are confusing the fiscal year (FY) with current year (CY) Current year also called the calendar year which ends on the 31st December. Fiscal year is a self set business year which ends a year after like may or whenever while current year is determined by the calender which the business resides in

View attachment 342369
Oh right oops, I thought the Financial and the Calender are the same but no, thanks for letting me know! every day we learn something new:p

Last edited:
I recently watched a video of a tour around the children zoo area of San Diego Zoo and it changed my mind about a potential children's zoo pack. I am not very interested in getting cows, pigs, chicken and alike, but now I that I've seen what other kind of animals are housed in children's zoo areas I wouldn't mind something like this:

A12 - Children zoo pack copy.jpg

Maybe I would save the dromedary for a desert pack and replace it with European mouflons or African pigmy goats.

I recently watched a video of a tour around the children zoo area of San Diego Zoo and it changed my mind about a potential children's zoo pack. I am not very interested in getting cows, pigs, chicken and alike, but now I that I've seen what other kind of animals are housed in children's zoo areas I wouldn't mind something like this:

View attachment 342402

Maybe I would save the dromedary for a desert pack and replace it with European mouflons or African pigmy goats.
Not bad. But here's what I'd do, personally:

png_20230121_104724_0000.png

A mix of exotic and not so much. The donkey is great for worldwide rep. Also the Muscovy duck, which is also found wild in South America. The coati is good, and the peccary is a great replacement for pigs.
I chose the python because those are the snakes that people bring to schools and stuff for shows

View attachment 342402

I believe San Diego's children's zoo is very different from the typical children's zoo considering this is a brand new area focusing on the wide diversity of the San Diego wildlife alliance (the zoos own conservation). Lots of exhibits, and active animals offer a different experience compared to the more traditional petting zoo.

Funnily enough I have created that children's zoo in full in my San Diego recreation and would love to see more of the correct species included however almost every other zoo I have or am recreating tend to go for the older style petting zoo.
Particularly on zoochat there was a backlash on the initial plans to remove all petting opportunities and force all exhibits inside buildings but once the real pictures came out they gradually warmed up to the idea. The old children's zoo was a long time favourite for many which included favourites like Asian otters, farm animals, tropical birds and the like

Back to the other zoos which tend to go for the older style , animals here typically include - Kunekune pigs, pygmy goats, miniature cow/donkey, rabbits etc. We can easily associate a better recognition of animals here with a children's zoo. I know not everyone is a fan of farm animals but for a dedicated children's zoo pack I would expect half of the animals have some relationship to a petting zoo

If a Children's Zoo Pack were to become a thing, I think these would be my choices for the animal list.

1674329711533.png

1. African dwarf goat
The only domestic breed of the four habitat species, but this is the most common domestic animal in zoos and is regularly kept in either walkthrough enclosures or ones that allow close access to visitors. They can also be kept with wild African herbivores, including giraffes, zebras and ostriches. They are probably the archetypal children's zoo species.

2. Bar-headed goose
Waterfowl are commonly kept in zoos, and many species are suitable to walk among and feed. The bar-headed goose is the most commonly-kept of any exotic goose species, kept in all manner of different enclosures from walkthroughs and mixed enclosures to ornamental ponds, fountains and moats, are attractive and sociable birds and are also pretty friendly as far as geese go.

3. Black-capped squirrel monkey
Because squirrel monkeys are such active and curious animals, they are often kept in more interactive settings such as walkthrough enclosures and children's zoos (like the new one in San Diego). Unlike the smaller marmosets and tamarins, which live in small groups based around a single breeding pair, the squirrel monkeys live in large groups (up to 100 individuals) with many males and females, so I think they are the ideal small monkey option.

4. European rabbit
An Endangered species native to southwest Europe, this is the ancestor of all domestic rabbits. I would have the wild rabbit in-game, as they would be able to fit into a children's zoo setting but are not limited to it, so would also fit into a European wildlife exhibit or even an Australian exhibit (as Zurich Zoo has done/plans to do). Although most wild rabbits are brown, they do naturally come in a variety of colour morphs including albino, black and ginger, so these colours could be selected for in a children's zoo.

5. Western honeybee
The exhibit species is a semi-domesticated insect, commonly kept in zoos around the world. As well as matching with the farming theme that often occurs with children's zoos, they could be kept nearby to the butterflies or in any Eurasian or African exhibit. I would have the bees be displayed in a naturalistic display based on a hollow tree (like the bee exhibit at Vienna Zoo, pictured below), with a special feature being that the bees have an access tube in one wall of the exhibit, so a visitor path cannot go right up against this wall.

With that, there would be a species from Africa, Asia, South America, Europe and a more general Old World species. None of them would feel out of place if displayed away from a children's zoo, but would make the construction of one much more viable.

Im very against of petting zoo/ domestic packs, i do not find them necessary fot the game, but i know some people want them and some zoos have this type of sections. If a petting zoo arrives (thing that i doubt), i surely need a rabbit/guinea pig, a donkey, and for sure, a goat, specifically an african dwarf. The rest is not more important for me, I would only want this 3 options.

View attachment 342402

I agree with everyone that a Children’s Zoo Pack would need a mix of domestic and wild species to keep things interesting and also represent all kinds of children’s zoos. My personal lineup would be something like this:

• African Crested Porcupine
• Golden Lion Tamarin
• African Pygmy Goat
• Scottish Highland Cattle
• Barn Owl

This kind of pack would be great, I’d say, for September time, with a focus on back to school and learning!

Top Bottom