Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Now, before LA or anyone else jumps in and says "Its not 65 weeks on continuous effort", ok, we know. But hell, over a year until this questionable feature is done.
You answered your question yourself. Questionable = low priority = the one team working on it moved between greater priorities when needed

Last edited:
I noticed some of the streamers are taking refuge in Star Citizen. The game must be doing something right.

CMDR Kate and Will tubers specially entertaining to watch.

It certainly has some cool stuff that can be fun if you get a good stable run.

It helps if you are also fine with overlooking CIG's years of lies and misleading backers. But of course, streamers like this probably don't want to talk about that sort of stuff, not good for their viewer numbers.

But its not that CIG have done anything right, its just FD royally messed up. If Odyssey had been decent would these people have switched? I very much doubt it.

So no, the game isn't doing something right. Its still the same perpetual alpha with no release in sight as it was 6 months ago.

Perhaps if they removed that alpha label, we'd see actual criticism being accepted by people instead of hiding behind the alpha shield.

It certainly has some cool stuff that can be fun if you get a good stable run.

It helps if you are also fine with overlooking CIG's years of lies and misleading backers. But of course, streamers like this probably don't want to talk about that sort of stuff, not good for their viewer numbers.

But its not that CIG have done anything right, its just FD royally messed up. If Odyssey had been decent would these people have switched? I very much doubt it.

So no, the game isn't doing something right. Its still the same perpetual alpha with no release in sight as it was 6 months ago.

Perhaps if they removed that alpha label, we'd see actual criticism being accepted by people instead of hiding behind the alpha shield.
I used to follow game development during Early Access, but i don't do that any more. It kind of killes the desire to play the game afterwards.

Last edited:
It can also be because CIG choose the hard technical way and it start to pay off. And that fdev understood that they will not be able to compete in the long term with CIG. So they managed to get one last DLC that could get them some money before the gap between SC and ED will be too large.

CIG have done nothing right ? Ask cmdr Kate, OA or D2EA about it...

So many people are dreaming about the "cinematic" gameplay without realising movies are the ultimate, passive, single-player experiences. The consequences of being "cinematic" in a multiplayer game are numerous and they do not lend themselves well to game design at all.

Kate turns bounty hunter in her purchased in game Cutty black and tries out flying as turret crew for a mate in the latest of her dives into Star Citizen....I must admit, I'm really enjoying her series of videos as well as her continued enthusiasm as an SC newbie :)

It was interesting to watch. I can see why some consider what there is in SC fun. I also appreciate the continued honesty about the problems she's encountered. It's that honesty that silences the part of me that wonders how many dozens of hours were required to get 30 minutes of nice looking gameplay. ;)

I must admit that I rolled my eyes at the two "Only in Star Citizen" comments, given that formation flying is fairly common in games that feature space ships, and there are other games where you can stand behind a pilot as they fly their ship. Though I must admit the latter isn't all that common.

It can also be because CIG choose the hard technical way and it start to pay off. And that fdev understood that they will not be able to compete in the long term with CIG. So they managed to get one last DLC that could get them some money before the gap between SC and ED will be too large.

I suspect FDev are just trundling along with their DLC format. And much like the rest of the industry, have given up on speculating when SC might ever release, and in what form. Given CIG don’t seem to know either, this seems wise ;)

It was interesting to watch. I can see why some consider what there is in SC fun. I also appreciate the continued honesty about the problems she's encountered. It's that honesty that silences the part of me that wonders how many dozens of hours were required to get 30 minutes of nice looking gameplay. ;)

I must admit that I rolled my eyes at the two "Only in Star Citizen" comments, given that formation flying is fairly common in games that feature space ships, and there are other games where you can stand behind a pilot as they fly their ship. Though I must admit the latter isn't all that common.
What was weird about the "Only in Star Citizen" comment was that it seemed to miss the actually impressive bit where she did a quick EVA to inspect the ship for damage

Kate turns bounty hunter in her purchased in game Cutty black and tries out flying as turret crew for a mate in the latest of her dives into Star Citizen....I must admit, I'm really enjoying her series of videos as well as her continued enthusiasm as an SC newbie :)

More delightful content. :)

I used to follow game development during Early Access, but i don't do that any more. It kind of killes the desire to play the game afterwards.

But seeing what SC has right now, and after playing what Odyssey had to offer, it's already ahead of the curve.
Odyssey lack in replayablity, and the Pioneer Supplies free Suits and Weapons with Mods - practicly killed the need to unlock Engineers. And once you don't need Engineers and your Suits and Weapons at 5 ( Not that it's even needed since there is no enemy you can't take on at lvl 3 ), well you are pretty much done with the grind. For me it was like 2 weeks.
And than you see this: Odyssey has no connection to Powerplay. Has limited connection to CG, and somewhat okeish connection to BGS, but Space is just faster. And Odyssey grap on Exploration is basic, very not rewarding but very time consuming.

Than you look at the Road Map that Frontieer posted, and you see nothing there that would indicate for more content to come. Then they confirm that SHip Interiors for ED are not in the works, and that VR for Odyssey is dead and forgotten.
And that killed my desire to play Odyssey. That why i hate following games in development.

So yea, i am not doing any of that with SC. I'll watch a few videos and go back waiting for release, hopefully before my retirment.

Well, as i said, if you have nothing against giving money to a company that is worse than EA and Ubisoft combined, then fine.

For me, SC is lacking in many aspects that make ED fun for me. However, both (well, ED with Odyssey) kill my graphics card so not playing ED either for the moment.

But 1 system... for someone who likes space exploration, its just a joke.

I know what you mean about following EA (early access), and following and playing BG3 for a while has kind of turned me off waiting for the finished product. But i don't follow SC's development because i have some hope of a decent game at the end of it, and it isn't even technically speaking EA, its ALLLLPHHHHAAAA! I mainly follow SC's development for the laughs, which it delivers in spades.

CIG have done nothing right ? Ask cmdr Kate, OA or D2EA about it...

Ah, reverse development is finally paying off? LOL, no.

And I don't think this is ED's last DLC unless they truly have decided to abandon ship on the project. I don't think FD are looking at SC to dictate whether they continue its development. That would be laughable.

Also, nuances of language. CIG have done some stuff right to date, but they haven't done anything recently, specifically right. The game today is little different from how it was a year ago or two years ago. Since Odyssey's launch they haven't done anything that would cause people to switch unless they would have switched without Odyssey anyway. Some changes, some new stuff, but overall, its still the same small system with a few game loops and some handcrafted locations. But we know people like Will and Kate have switched because of Odyssey. Therefore not because of what CIG have done in the same period of time.

SC has some good cause player disgruntlement, however the most vocal critics of it are often those who don't even play it.

EDO has not delivered, its largely Horizons with legs, so there are a lot of CMDR's chancing SC, while its not ED it does scratch that itch EDO was meant to, and because their exceptions of SC came from its loudest critics: 8 FPS, crashing constantly, no gameplay, no content of any kind what they found somewhat of a pleasant surprise.

Several ED content creators seem to be genuinely enjoying it, often even impressed with it, right so now they are all just treacherous shills now part of the huge lie machine?

Shut up and actually put some effort into experiencing it.

But we know people like Will and Kate have switched because of Odyssey. Therefore not because of what CIG have done in the same period of time.
You forgot the constant 'SC is scam' or 'there is nothing to do in SC' or 'you can't play more than 5min without crash' in ED forum that had prevented some ED players to really look at SC. Look at what you've written it's exactly that. For sure it's crap, everybody say its crap it can be otherwise ? It's funny to see their pikachu faces when they try SC and realize there is much more in the alpha than what some told them.
Chance for you to realize it one day are thin, you don't really want to see the alpha in its real state.

For instance the "some handcrafted locations" is funny, there is more diversity in Stanton than in the whole galaxy of ED.

SC has some good cause player disgruntlement, however the most vocal critics of it are often those who don't even play it.

Well, duh, of course. Many of the vocal critics have tried it, but many refuse to give CIG money, because of reasons already stated many times in this thread and elsewhere.

Many of us have experienced it and many don't want to, simply because of CIG's behaviour over the years. We are critics for reasons.

Tangentially related to be SC and ED:O, just checked graphics card prices... gods, i'll never be able to afford a new card. Well, i could... but explaining the 30,000+ roubles i'd need to spend to my wife... that's going to be a hard sell.

Top Bottom