Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

It's not by year, it will be this year (and only this year).
I only own the starter pack with Aurora for now.

And, personnaly, CIG have already delivered a game I greatly enjoy to play. It's not the final product promised but already a product that is my main game. So the "Stop giving them money for nothing." in my case is more "I give them money because I already had hundred of hours of fun and I want to ensure that the fun I have now will improve in the future".
I see. Do you agree that it makes little sense to actually deliver the game anything close to their promises, while they're making so much money by selling ships?

I know you've said you're happy with the game, as it is, and I think many people feel the same way. Why not release it, as is, then?

The only reason I could see them not saying it's released, is that they dont want the flack from actually reviews. But I dont see why that's a concern since they've already garnered so much money. I also think they'd get more money, if they did release it, as it is, and just asked for cash/sold ships saying it's for further development. That way, oddly enough, it wouldn't even be a scam since you get, as is, what you pay for.

The reason I see it as a scam, now, is because they keep promising way more stuff than I think is even possible. Why not just stop making promises, release it, and say they're working on adding more to the game?

So, you're relying on others to keep giving CIG money for the game you want them to develop.

To be fair, you're in a bit of a lose-lose situation here. Give CIG more money we will poke fun at you for doing it. Don't give them more money and it reduces the chances of the game you want ever getting made.

Its a tricky one... CIG clearly still need a lot more money to get the game into a releasable state (aside your statements about how much fun you have in alpha, its not a desirable continuous state for the game, i hope you agree!). And a releasable state is a far cry from what was promised, that's going to take hundreds of millions more, possibly billions.

Perhaps you might consider giving CIG some more money? A few thousand maybe? That will buy a few minutes for development time for the company!

You know, you derive quite a bit of enjoyment from star citizen. Posting about it on in multiple locations.

Perhaps you should be giving money to CIG to make sure the fun continues.

Don't want your investment in the something awful account going to waste!

I see. Do you agree that it makes little sense to actually deliver the game anything close to their promises, while they're making so much money by selling ships?

I know you've said you're happy with the game, as it is, and I think many people feel the same way. Why not release it, as is, then?

The only reason I could see them not saying it's released, is that they dont want the flack from actually reviews. But I dont see why that's a concern since they've already garnered so much money. I also think they'd get more money, if they did release it, as it is, and just asked for cash/sold ships saying it's for further development. That way, oddly enough, it wouldn't even be a scam since you get, as is, what you pay for.

The reason I see it as a scam, now, is because they keep promising way more stuff than I think is even possible. Why not just stop making promises, release it, and say they're working on adding more to the game?

I'd say there would be still incentive to deliver if they believed they could deliver on something approximating what they promised.

My suspicion is that CIG know they can't, and slapping a release label on the game will open the floodgates of negative reviews along the lines of "500 million for this?!!?!"

This is why for the last few years CR has been waffling on about development as a service and the like.

You know, you derive quite a bit of enjoyment from star citizen. Posting about it on in multiple locations.

Perhaps you should be giving money to CIG to make sure the fun continues.

Don't want your investment in the something awful account going to waste!

LOL, i had a good laugh at Theranos and Fyre Festival without giving them money as well. As long as there are humans there will be grifters.

I'd say there would be still incentive to deliver if they believed they could deliver on something approximating what they promised.

My suspicion is that CIG know they can't, and slapping a release label on the game will open the floodgates of negative reviews along the lines of "500 million for this?!!?!"

This is why for the last few years CR has been waffling on about development as a service and the like.
With the recent posts on the refunds sub about former backers using UK government services to force CIG to action:
  • Advertising Standards Authority: forced CIG to add large disclaimers on promotional emails to clarify what the adverts were selling, the status of the products, etc.
  • County Courts (Judgement): forced CIG to issue refunds to clear the CCJ black-mark(s), else face the challenge of the refund requests in open court.
In one of the communications, CIG sent this:
Sqq4ziN.png

I could see one of those now former-backers involving more UK government services too, sending them all the relevant (and often conflicting) CIG promotional/transactional communications, to find out if the associated laws/regulations are being followed correctly by CIG. Same goes for other backers in other countries contacting their respective government services.
  • Is it a purchase or donation?
  • Has a product been released or not?
  • Is it a pre-order or fulfilled purchase?
  • Is there a due date for the contract of sale?
  • Is the product of sufficient quality and does it satisfy the advertised requirements?
  • Are ships/cosmetics/UEC/etc counted as separate products? (probably yes)
  • Are the ships of sufficient quality and do they satisfy the advertised requirements?
  • Etc etc

Last edited:
But you're not ensuring anything, because there's no accountability or guarantee that you will get anything more for the amount you pledge beyond the basic package. Caveat emptor and all that.
A patch each quarter since several years...

Do you agree that to deliver the game as promised, they need a lot of money, and selling ship works well to fund the project ?

Because, even if the game is fun now, it's not the final product awaited, it lacks a lot of gameplays. It's like enjoying tasting the chocolate while you make a chocolate's cake. It's good, you enjoy it better than the cofee's cake beside (because you don't like coffee), but it's not the cake yet.

The only reason I could see them not saying it's released, is that they dont want the flack from actually reviews.
The only reason is the base game is not finished. There is 1 system, no salvaging, no jump point, no server meshing, quanta system starting only to be added, etc. You seem to think that these systems are optional to the game, they are not. You can run a car without seats, roof and windshield but you can't sell/release it without adding thoses.

It's been a long time since CIG promised new functionality. CR said the release will be there when server meshing is stable enough and a bunch of systems will be in. Claiming lands and owning bases for instance had been said to be developped after the release.

And the contents of those patches match up with what was supposed to be in each patch? I can churn out papers for work, and even though each page contains only one word, I'm hitting the perfect quantity and frequency. And besides that, it still doesn't ensure anything. They've managed to release patches with removed or delayed features because of, and in spite of, funding.

Last edited:
With the recent posts on the refunds sub about former backers using UK government services to force CIG to action:
  • Advertising Standards Authority: forced CIG to add large disclaimers on promotional emails to clarify what the adverts were selling, the status of the products, etc.
  • County Courts (Judgement): forced CIG to issue refunds to clear the CCJ black-mark(s), else face the challenge of the refund requests in open court.
In one of the communications, CIG sent this:
Sqq4ziN.png

I could see one of those now former-backers involving more UK government services too, sending them all the relevant (and often conflicting) CIG promotional/transactional communications, to find out if the associated laws/regulations are being followed correctly by CIG. Same goes for other backers in other countries contacting their respective government services.
  • Is it a purchase or donation?
  • Has a product been released or not?
  • Is it a pre-order or fulfilled purchase?
  • Is there a due date for the contract of sale?
  • Is the product of sufficient quality and does it satisfy the advertised requirements?
  • Are ships/cosmetics/UEC/etc counted as separate products? (probably yes)
  • Are the ships of sufficient quality and do they satisfy the advertised requirements?
  • Etc etc

Looking at that first line, are Cloud Imperium Games Ltd. trying to play the shell game here? Same as a guy elsewhere got fobbed off? Like "No, the company you have a relationship is with (some other company with cloud imperium in its name) we are actually (another company with cloud imperium in its name)!!!

The rest is just blah blah about how wonderful Star Citizen is and in the end, they still got told by the authorities to pay up.

So, from a legal perspective, its all guff, and regardless of what CIG stated, they are obliged to refund.

Do you agree that to deliver the game as promised, they need a lot of money, and selling ship works well to fund the project ?

Because, even if the game is fun now, it's not the final product awaited, it lacks a lot of gameplays. It's like enjoying tasting the chocolate while you make a chocolate's cake. It's good, you enjoy it better than the cofee's cake beside (because you don't like coffee), but it's not the cake yet.

The only reason is the base game is not finished. There is 1 system, no salvaging, no jump point, no server meshing, quanta system starting only to be added, etc. You seem to think that these systems are optional to the game, they are not. You can run a car without seats, roof and windshield but you can't sell/release it without adding thoses.

It's been a long time since CIG promised new functionality. CR said the release will be there when server meshing is stable enough and a bunch of systems will be in. Claiming lands and owning bases for instance had been said to be developped after the release.

I'm giving you a like for fighting the fight. Don't agree with a lot of what you say, but you're a fun foil.

There is no "Quanta" system which means you cant start to add it. And no waffling of Tony Taleofnix is going to make it happen. There is also no server meshing. Nothing of it after 10 years. And there never will be, because it's all just made up hot air. Aka "lies".

725xae66xtu71.jpg

Why stick around? Hmm... perhaps because he can't get a refund? Well, unless he is in the UK or any other country with strong consumer protection laws.

To be fair, you're in a bit of a lose-lose situation here. Give CIG more money we will poke fun at you for doing it. Don't give them more money and it reduces the chances of the game you want ever getting made.
In theory yes, but I haven’t given a penny since 2012 and the game still sails on bankrolled by some mug.

Yep, there are plenty of gamers/whales/fools willing to throw more than $45 at CIG each time there's a FOMO ship/jpeg sale on.

The average spending per backer-account didn't reach $300 because the backers were frugal 😂

Top Bottom