Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Twitch average concurrent viewers for past 365 days, via Sullygnome.com:
  • Star Citizen = 1,507
  • No Man's Sky = 860
  • Elite Dangerous = 575
In conclusion: if any of those stats were for concurrent players of a game, people would be screaming "dead game". Along those lines, "my rubbish stat is better than your rubbish stat" is a terrible argument 😂

For comparison, the average concurrent players for Star Citizen through 2020 was only 3,100 🤷‍♂️

I don't have the same one when I specifically choose "video game"

You're looking at web search. My search was YT search alone. The results are the same if you search for SC or SC (game) there. A significant global drop off from the highs of 2016.

The interesting thing about that is that YT search is probably a fairer reflection of grassroots fan interest. Web search more likely includes all the horrible salacious people like us here who just browse to see what colour smoke is coming off the tire fire today ;)

Twitch for SC

A slightly less useful basis for overall comparison, given records there only start in 2017 ;)

Via Google Trends we can see the overall drop in interest via web search:

And the more specific drop off on YT:

You're looking at web search. My search was YT search alone. The results are the same if you search for SC or SC (game) there. A significant global drop off from the highs of 2016.

The interesting thing about that is that YT search is probably a fairer reflection of grassroots fan interest. Web search more likely includes all the horrible salacious people like us here who just browse to see what colour smoke is coming off the tire fire today ;)

A slightly less useful basis for overall comparison, given records there only start in 2017 ;)

Via Google Trends we can see the overall drop in interest via web search:

And the more specific drop off on YT:

The only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself!;)

Last edited:
Twitch average concurrent viewers for past 365 days, via Sullygnome.com:
  • Star Citizen = 1,507
  • No Man's Sky = 860
  • Elite Dangerous = 575
In conclusion: if any of those stats were for concurrent players of a game, people would be screaming "dead game". Along those lines, "my rubbish stat is better than your rubbish stat" is a terrible argument 😂

For comparison, the average concurrent players for Star Citizen through 2020 was only 3,100 🤷‍♂️

But SC is still in ALPHA!!!

Since it seems to be the season for predictions, the prediction made by @WotGTheAgent made back in May seems to be pretty spot on so far (courtesy of @Dementropy bringing it up on refunds)

Text version:
well boy howdy and hello
• "server meshing" in its original form is scrapped completely as of Q4 2020
• "no possible way to make it work" with thousands of players in a single instance
• going forward, areas will be partitioned into about 100 players although "might be less"
• this is not per system but per arbitrary "zone," that might include planetary bodies, outposts, platforms, etc
• currently this is working in test bed internals (lol yeah okay we'll ing see)
• this will be downplayed as "tier 0" or "test version" but will see "no significant improvements"
• being handled by Turbulent who immediately scrapped the earlier designs and brought in new ideas
• Pyro is coming "very, very soon" read: by end of year/next two patches (lol yeaaaah okay)
• "Our next updates skew heavily towards combat and improving the [PvE] combat experience."
• devs feel that PvP griefing "has been solved" and no further development time will be allotted for griefing issues
• there's yet another quest system internal redesign happening
• this might cause older quests to be dropped or reworked (what quests lol)
• some of these new quests will be labeled "quick action"
• these pit players directly into action with PvE actors with little to no travel times
• there will be no "quick action" for PvP players -- "that's Theaters of War" (I still think ToW is a goner, but whatever)
• there will be no capital ship PvP -- things "might change" if their servers can handle it
• larger ships (crew of 30+) will never encounter another player capital ship by design
• "The [capital ship] system is a God-damn ing mess."
• yet another new player experience is in the works
• this "tutorial" allows new players to explore without fear of PvP in their own sharded system
• "At the end of the questline -- if you decide to leave -- everything will be normal, including flagged for PvP."
• existing backers can go back and experience this content
• players in this shard have a limited credit cap but can rent different ships for reduced cost
• requires no ship package or purchase in order to access (????)
• there's a new group finder in the works with "some" automated process
• this will allow like minded players to group up easily across servers/zones
• new group flagging will disable friendly fire attacks
• grouping system will "more easily show" players you've grouped with
• UI redesign of the grouping system, chat, and HUD is in the works since early 2019
• "The design of the original mobiass [sic] is very dated."
• this is also being handled by Turbulent
• Chris Roberts and his family take "about ten percent" of all incoming revenue
• this was a decrease from previous years
edit oh I left one off about the grouping system that was pretty cool
• you can set your spectrum account to allow others to join your in-game group directly from the forums

Certainly spot on compared to the predictions made by certain backers.

But don't worry, the faithful assure us it will all come one day. :p

As my finances are pretty good this year, for the 3.15 I will probably drop between 100-200 € in pledge to support CIG.
I'd consider the bare minimum to be one of the lower end starter packages, and thats it. 100-200 €/(good year) is not bare minimum as far as I see.

If someone gave you 100-200 € per year, and you never delivered what you'd said you would, why would you ever actually give what you said you would? If they ever release the game, and it turns out being crap, that 100-200 € per year is gone, yes? If they keep selling ships and keep the game in development state (is that a new state a game can be in?) i.e. not up for review etc, then they keep getting that 100-200 €. Yikes!

Giving them free money will ensure it never gets released. It's current state my be fine for some, but there's a lot of folks who'd prefer this game to be fully released, have more than 2 systems (I know they only have 1, but saying 2 will cover comment for the next 2 or 3 years).

Stop giving them money for nothing.

So, drop off on YT and rise on Twitch. What's your conclusion ?

That, despite the mismatching metrics, the YT interest drop in SC since 2016 is clearly far more precipitous than any gains seen on Twitch. Which fits with the overall tapering seen in Google searches, and suggests an overall tapering in global SC interest.

Hardly seems surprising, given SC's lack of official launch titles after all the years of hype.

But at least all the SC Twitchers are living in a bed of roses eh? ;)

pRoCePs.png

:oops:

If someone gave you 100-200 € per year, and you never delivered what you'd said you would...
It's not by year, it will be this year (and only this year).
I only own the starter pack with Aurora for now.

And, personnaly, CIG have already delivered a game I greatly enjoy to play. It's not the final product promised but already a product that is my main game. So the "Stop giving them money for nothing." in my case is more "I give them money because I already had hundred of hours of fun and I want to ensure that the fun I have now will improve in the future".

It's not by year, it will be this year (and only this year).
I only own the starter pack with Aurora for now.

And, personnaly, CIG have already delivered a game I greatly enjoy to play. It's not the final product promised but already a product that is my main game. So the "Stop giving them money for nothing." in my case is more "I give them money because I already had hundred of hours of fun and I want to ensure that the fun I have now will improve in the future".
But you're not ensuring anything, because there's no accountability or guarantee that you will get anything more for the amount you pledge beyond the basic package. Caveat emptor and all that.

Top Bottom