Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Hmmh should obligations show up in expenses tab. Profit is not just positive cash flow, but something you see after all obligations are removed. Hard to see how project could really show any profits. Except by creative accounting.

Chris learned at lot about creative accounting when he worked in Hollywood, i'm sure.

Anyway, what obligations? Pretty sure their T&Cs absolve them of all obligations.

Chris learned at lot about creative accounting when he worked in Hollywood, i'm sure.

Anyway, what obligations? Pretty sure their T&Cs absolve them of all obligations.
Just wondered that. Say I establish a car company and take "pledges" to develope and deliver best car ever. And give every "pledger" a moped scooter. Wouldn't those obligations (to develop and actually deliver those cars) be seen as responsibilities, essentially debt on company's accounts. Or can I walk out free as I all ready had delivered "vehicles" for my "backers"?

Just wondered that. Say I establish a car company and take "pledges" to develope and deliver best car ever. And give every "pledger" a moped scooter. Wouldn't those obligations (to develop and actually deliver those cars) be seen as responsibilities, essentially debt on company's accounts. Or can I walk out free as I all ready had delivered "vehicles" for my "backers"?

Generally speaking, as long as you only take money from the common people you'll be fine. Don't take money from the rich though! :p

You can't pay dividends on revenue. Only on profits. I mean you can, but it is illegal.
True. But thanks to the magic of Hollywood Accounting, only one of the many shell companies that make up CIG needs to to report a profit. Since CIG-UK charges CIG-US for the work they do, they can easily generate a profit simply by charging the parent company more than it actually cost them. It doesn't matter if CIG-US makes a profit, since CIG-UK is the one paying out the dividends.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
So you're saying CIG is going to be taken apart by a court soon? Will the great Doom happen this year after all?
Not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse on this. It is quite simple: If they are distributing dividends it just means CIG sees SC, as it is in your hard drive today, as a released product already. Nothing illegal in that. It would be a crappy product but a released product nonetheless.

As CIG is concerned they seem to think they have delivered already on what they represented and sold, and are therefore declaring profits and distributing dividends on it. Any court action based on that would happen eventually if regulators or backers disagreed that what CIG considers delivered makes justice to what was represented and sold. Not sure that will happen anytime soon though, backers and the game press in general seem oblivious to the fact CIG considers SC to all practical purposes already a released product.

Usually developers announce in a very clear cut and explicit way that something they produce has been released, or even released as Early Access. But given the crappy state of SC and all the original grandious statements about being free from evil publishers, investors and deadlines so to release things only when ready and polished etc etc it is clear it is in CIG´s interest not to publicize that too much.

Last edited:
True. But thanks to the magic of Hollywood Accounting, only one of the many shell companies that make up CIG needs to to report a profit. Since CIG-UK charges CIG-US for the work they do, they can easily generate a profit simply by charging the parent company more than it actually cost them. It doesn't matter if CIG-US makes a profit, since CIG-UK is the one paying out the dividends.
Their convoluted company shell game is biggest red warning indicator to me. Way to make nice money churning game and skim profits from "pledges"....

Or more precisely...

SC "large scale mmorpg" by 2027,
“I think by that time we’ll be operating a very large MMORPG,”

Squadron 42 out within 1-2 years
“I guess we’ll see how long [Chris] needs to be over. But yeah, it could be one or two years more” says Jones. “He’s spending more time over here with the Squadron 42 team and with our other developers, but it’ll be this year when he moves over for longer periods of time. Hopefully that means we can progress Squadron 42 through to completion faster. We want to get that game finished, but it will be finished when it’s ready.”

For the avoidance of doubt, in consideration of CIG’s good faith efforts to develop, produce, and deliver the Game with the funds raised, you agree that any deposit amounts applied against the Game Cost as described above shall be non-refundable regardless of whether or not CIG is able to complete and deliver the Game. In the unlikely event that CIG is not able to deliver the Game, CIG agrees to post an audited cost accounting on its website to fully explain the use of the deposits for the Game Cost. In consideration of the promises by CIG hereunder, you agree to irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any deposit amount that has been used for the Game Cost in accordance with the above.

edit: That’s what 2012 ToS says… go to any of the faithful’s youtubers and comment that SC is a scam due to removed features like pvp slider and private servers, and you will be told that ALL BACKERS agreed to any changes made when the accepted the ToS…

I’m quite sure this will not fly if regulators get involved but I could be wrong though

Last edited:
So it is still basically a tech demo? After 400 million and whatever years? But at same time released game? Sounds to me that it is in some kind quantum superposition, depending on stance of observer.
It's not a tech demo anymore. Game breaking bugs are less frequents, stability is good and there is enough content and working gameloops to play it full time (if you can stand the bugs).
It's a working and playable alpha.

The facts are that you tried to describe Valheim and SC as equally playable. Now you're backtracking, because that's a silly assertion.
I never (like in never) said that Valheim and SC as equally playable. I said they are both alpha and both playable, nothing more.
Valheim is close to beta stage and SC is still pre-alpha with a lot more bugs and less stability. I play both and have fun in both.

Indeed. That's the funny thing. Legally CIG treat it like a released product. They often market it like a released product. But the moment there is criticism, its right back behind the "ITS ALPHA" shield of ultimate defense.

You can also read what is clearly written on the website
You see, it's written "ITS ALPHA" everywhere. And "ITS ALPHA" is not a ultimate defense but a perfectly valid point on a lot of critics (like "the game crash every minutes", "the FPS are low" or "there is just ONE system").
1641834353242.png

1641834447260.png

1641834544298.png

It's not a tech demo anymore. Game breaking bugs are less frequents, stability is good and there is enough content and working gameloops to play it full time (if you can stand the bugs).
It's a working and playable alpha.

God this year is going to be so tragi-comic.

Mole's right. They're going to keep 3.16 going for as long as they can, as an oasis of stability. Then eventually the Entity Graph will be ready to fire a coffee cup through the databases. Any fallout from that will keep them busy for a while, before they break the networking properly towards the end of the year, with the first Server Meshing tech demo ;)

If we're lucky Chris will promise Pyro for 2023...

Back
Top Bottom