Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Giving Chris Roberts money if one is aware of his track record isn't "being fooled", it is being a fool.

Very true, but at the very beginning of all this nonsense we were kind of led to believe that this was to be Genuine Roberts last hurrah and deliver unto us the "vision" he had had for ages but only recently had the technology advanced enough to enable that on home PC's, and that the working prototype ( and solicited as in-game assets, in real time, in-engine no less) just needed a funding push to get them through the next year for release in 2014.

Oh how wrong we were.

The lies, the nonsensical technowaffle, the displayed inability to deliver, the handbaggery, the inability of the fiber to reach the rack, and the absolute lulzbucketry of the CI-G corporate empire reigning supreme over no product has convinced me at least, that Geniune Roberts last hurrah is proving beyond any reasonable doubt that he is, shall we say, utterly incapable of delivering what we were sold, and worse - convinced himself that he has.

Buy an Idris!

Intriguing...

Terrible FUDster said:
I had a comment deleted when I said I wondered if CIG would lower in game timers for subs in the future
no DM, just wiped 😁
Golgot's leak seems more credible now

I even tried to be well within the rules, and didnt give any attitude in that 2 sentence post

conceirge forums of course

image.png

Quite a tour de force if while playing you seamlessly switch engine without a loading screen 🤪 like, you're in the aurora it's CE, you disembark and it's SE.

I mean unless AC/SQ42 is CE and PU is SE, it's utter nonsense. Though having different engine for different game modes sharing so much code base would already be totally insane from a development standpoint.

Last edited:
This is some weapon-grade hopium...

About the Star Citizen 1.0 announcement, I don't think that's shareholder driven. The game's almost feature complete and Chris Roberts has always been in a hurry. It'll be about a year to get all of the more crucial technical stuff done and, if CiG don't mess up the most underestimated feature (procedural generation) they'll be popping out a star system (one we know about) every fortnight from 2025 to 2027. In the past, CiG have been reluctant to go down the geology road (making different orebody types with different structures based on geological processes and chemistry) which would have extended to fitting biomes together in ways that not only make more sense to the outdoorman's eye, but also create the kinds of landmarks and resource hubs which influence navigation and dictate where settlements tend to be situated. The fun part of this is that when the environment dictates where and how a settlement develops, it becomes even more bespoke and just 'fits' in a way the player can relate to - which is why taking this approach such an effective method for making compelling settlement/village/town mods. It's also eminently machine-doable and if CiG crack this, they will probably get to the point where they can churn out a thousand star systems per year - all spectacularly unique with compelling and bespoke features (something which be somewhat of a necessity to satisfy the majority of players given the interest in exploration). The big question is, 'where does it all end?' And that brings us back to 1.0

You see, the transition into beta (feature complete) opens the door to a seemingly pre-emptive release with an ongoing content stream (much like a lot of other MMOs); just on a much bigger scale. And, if pledges keep rolling in for more content, why stop there? Don't forget how stable the funding system of this kickstarter has been - since day 1. So Star Citizen could easily afford to go into beta for a few years and still release on the 15 year mark, while things like balance, underlying systems, mechanics, UI, etc. get tweaked, reworked and overhauled and ships continue to roll out, and, with the next dozen systems, or so, procedural generation gets tweaked and reworked to the point where it can cook up really compelling, non-generic content...and throw in some stellar chemistry constraints on how planets orbiting different star types evolve and you'll have enough material diversity (landscapes, life, resources, etc.) to hold the attention of players, indefinitely.

However, it feels like a lot of things are being dumbed down under the flag of "dialling it back to fun" in order to kick this out the door earlier - when the opposite is what's made it possible for the project to get as far as it has. For example, without structured resource modelling, you'll never get 100+ unique star systems done this side of the 21st century, never mind all of the unannounced star systems necessary to satisfy the gameplay pledged for by the millions of exploration-focused players. This all comes back to getting the right consultants (e.g. geologists, physicists, biologists, etc.) involved so that the way things come together straight out of procedural generation works for the bespoke feel of locations instead of against it

At one point Berks says that the ship translation motion (ref to the rotation planetary grid) that can be seen as he moves back and forth grids is proof of server meshing. It is not, it is proof of separate reference grids transition though. That is all. Change of server would probably require a bit more of under the hood evidence that the game can not really show there, other than an ID. Maybe the player list?

Has anyone tried to test this in Live? ;)

If there were noticeable overall system stability and performance improvements that could also be indeed a good symptom that multiple servers are sharing the load etc, alas at the moment things are even more borked than before.

To reiterate, the only thing that can be ascertained/verified in this kind of tests is the interface between reference grids that exist for different parts of the star system. But, from what other players are saying, those existed already before server meshing. The only actual "proof" that there is another server at the moment is that an ID code changes in the text log.

Back to what happens in the video the target players is invisible to Berks right? Then they go into trying to damage a ship engine, Berks can not seem to see hs buddy shooting anyways. And then the server(s) seem to crash and his buddy remains stuck 🤷‍♂️ .
I couldn't be bothered to fly around the 'Verse, so I tested this instead because I didn't know what would happen.
So the limpets don't transition from one grid to another, only the ship does.

Star Engine as a product seems like a publicity campaign aimed at backers. I can't see any developer wanting to use an outdated fork of Cryengine poorly supported by a vendor who have struggled with it publicly and failed to make one single game. Where is the documentation for it? Do I get a PDF from CIG? Do they update the documentation when they release updates?

I doubt they are concerned about supporting this as an actual engine any more than they are an actual game.

Top Bottom