Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Woo hoo! Release must be close now! ;)

Been having a bit of a back and forth with one my erm... stalkers on youtube. Basically nearly every time i make a negative comment about SC on a video, him and Tom Neverwinter pop up to tell everyone how bad i am and that i'm spreading lies, etc.

Anyway, we've now reached the stage (again) of where i talk about a relesable product and he says there is a new version every 3 months. Just moved into the "Oh, ok, the gaming press can review it now then?" stage.

These conversations are so predictable. I await the ITS ALPHA card to be played next. Once again SC is in that quantum state of being both a released game and an alpha at the same time, immune to criticism but open to praise.
Meh...I just play what's there minus the arguing :D

This patch is a fairly decent one, (by Ci¬G standards) It fixed most of the things that annoyed me greatly ;)

Last edited:
I love how they pay such attention to detail in their patches!

ptchtxt.png
"Chris Roberts told me to make that pixel lightblue!"

Letter from the Chairman

Financials

Chris says SQ42 isn't out yet because he has higher standards than the Cyberpunk people:
As I said earlier this year, Squadron 42 will be done when it is done, and will not be released just to make a date, but instead only when all the technology and content is finished, the game is polished, and it plays great.... Over the past few years, I’ve seen more than a few eagerly awaited titles release before they were bug free and fully polished. This holiday season is no exception.
Chris says he isn't showing any more SQ42 and the "Briefing Room" is effectively cancelled:
Because of this I have decided that it is best to not show Squadron 42 gameplay publicly, nor discuss any release date until we are closer to the home stretch and have high confidence in the remaining time needed to finish the game to the quality we want.

The planned Squadron 42 specific update show, the Briefing Room is not dead; it will just go on hiatus until we are closer to release...
Chris says you'll maybe get iCache or Server Meshing next year:
While we didn’t deliver a few of the major tech milestones we had hoped to this year like iCache and Server Meshing, we’ve made a lot of progress towards these goals. We are confident that you will see at least one, if not both, debuts of these important technologies next year.

Last edited:
So what Chris is saying nine years after first opening the tills to take money from consumers in advance, hyping up a game through vertical slice videos and talking head interviews, merchandise and press releases..is there's now nothing to show and won't be until he decides and that makes him the best ever.

Unlike those "eagerly awaited titles" released before they were ready you can't read a review or get a refund.

"In 2020, we had players from over 200 unique countries and territories around the world and from 56,340 unique cities play 26,576,364 hours of Star Citizen."

26,576,364 total playtime works out at around 3,100 concurrent players per hour average.

Roughly a twentieth of what other space games are getting.

It’s Chrisssstmassss

And there’s a lot to digest 😄

Just some bonus sweetmeats that caught my eye...

The single biggest takeaway for 2020 is that as we shifted towards a “Playable Now” narrative

Moreover, recency bias often leads us to believe that the last 30k or other game-stopping bug means the game is buggier than ever. But in fact, the complete opposite is true. Yes, the game is still in alpha with bugs, and yes, our stability and performance is not yet at gold master software standards; we recognize that and are focused on improving performance with each patch. We know it may not feel like it at times, but Star Citizen is actually more performant than ever before, and the player stats are what tell us that. Since we delivered 2.0 at the end of 2015, our minutes played per player have been steadily increasing. And concurrency, which before was drastically constrained by crashes and bugs that induced restarts, has been steadily climbing as our game environment has become more stable, allowing more players to stay online for longer periods of time. In the first 12 months after we rolled out the Persistent Universe with 2.0, our players were averaging about 32 minutes of play time per day. Today, minutes played per player per day has more than quadrupled.

So close to gold standard. Just so damn close.

We’re Making Steady Strides in Progress
Many backers who’ve taken breaks and come back to the game marvel at how much it has progressed, especially since last summer.

Not only have we added more to do, with new locations to explore, new ships to fly, new missions to undertake, and more to discover, but we’ve also added game-changing new tech like Server-Side Object Container Streaming and the beginnings of our Long-term Persistence in 2020. With these additions, coupled with Star Citizen’s continued improvements in industry-leading visuals, it’s no wonder that we’ve recorded our best year ever in terms of attracting and retaining new players

Game changing. And making bank while we’re at it. Seriously Calders, are you hearing this?

That last part – retention – is also extremely important to us; we don’t want to welcome a new player to the ‘verse only to see them churn away instantly due to a paucity of content or a raft of bugs. So that’s why we’ve begun to emphasize quality of life, performance, and stability since 3.7. And while we are still far from where we want to be in those areas, it’s a focus for us now, as we walk the tightrope of ensuring the game is playable and performant enough for ongoing playing and testing while also introducing new features, content, and tech (which unfortunately always introduces new bugs and issues) to move the Star Citizen experience forward.

We couldn’t add any features this year, we were making the game performant. And more popular. Read the bit about the expo crashing, that explains it best.

We don’t want any backer or new player to ever feel like they are obligated to pledge for a new ship to keep this dream going. All you need is a starter package, and everything can be earned in-game.

But if some slightly sub-gold issue makes it difficult to earn anything in game, we did also add a load of new starter+ ship packages this year, just in case that interests you...

Great news everyone I've found a way to take money from you in return for literally nothing by not showing anything and simply pretending all the promised release year announcements and "answer the call" adverts never happened...

Over the past few years I have seen more than a few legitimate companies being accountable for their actions and its not for me.

Fair to play him, he's basically promising that S42 will be polished and bug free to a level beyond anything any other studio is delivering. I'm sure that will work out well.

Meanwhile, it seems they've spent the best part of a year stripping out everything they can't deliver from the roadmap, and formatting the rest in a way that pretends there's just so much info that they have to make you drill down through several layers to get to any of it, but really just serves to obfuscate the lack of progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom