Thargoid Attacks: Where, When and What you can do about it

fsiictxa09x01.jpg

(image via Reddit)

Thargoids are all on holiday. They still hang out in Non Human Signal Sources in the Pleiades - closer to Merope you get more. They are also in the Witch Head Nebula - centred around Witch Head Sector IR-W C1-8, but most inhabited systems will have them. You can also get thargoids around attacked megaships in the Pleiades (and a few in the bubble like Deciat) - might need some relogs. If you just want interceptors (megaships can spawn scouts) then try one of the Distress Calls (no threat level) in the Pleiades - the one near Delphi 6 works well. Again, relog to get the interceptor you want.

You can also get hyperdictions - rumoured to be linked to having being scanned by a Thargoid Sensor these happen around the Pleiades / Witch Head.

Bonus points: Dropping Meta Alloys when an interceptor is around can cause them to call in extra interceptors.

Recently NHSS are appearing in Incursion systems (as well as the AX CZ), so presumably they will count towards saving the system. Also the Thargoid Massacre missions have been back in the rescue ships, along with Salvage missions!

Targets this week

Incursions (AX CZ) : Just check galnet 2nd post ;) (If they say 'No Thargoid Presence' then don't bother, they are finished)

Infestations (NHSS) as found in association with AXI this week:
tbd

All empty systems so they won't get attacked

Warning: Try and not be in the Infested / Incursion systems on Thargsday for the server restart - CMDRs have reported CtD issues otherwise.

Notes:
  • Incursions are listed in the 2nd Galnet article (in-game only) and dynamically update through the week (they start at 'massive thargoid presence' and are beaten when we reach 'no thargoid presence'.)
  • Thargoids first Infest a system (this has now been hidden), if the Infestation is not fought then they begin an Incursion, and we lose stations until the incursion is repelled.
  • Incursed systems can be seen in the Galmap left panel. Sometimes the system also switches allegiance to the Thargoids (not always). It's worth checking a system is still Incursed before travel (in the 2nd Galnet post), as they change through the week. Sometimes the Galmap does not show the correct states, but systems targeted by Eagle Eye should still be targets. Unless that is broken ...
  • There is a galmap filter to help find Incursion systems
  • Incursion systems : fight in the AX CZ until they are listed in Galnet as 'No Thargoid Presence' :)
  • Thargoids can only attack space stations with 'L' landing pads, if a system has none of these then it is a lower priority.
  • Infested Systems : are saved by kills in the target systems- each kill counts the same, so a Scout is as useful as an Interceptor. Bonds do not matter. They only update state once a day, just after the BGS tick.
  • You can also find NHSS in several nebulae, but it won't help save any systems.More NHSS nearer the centres.

Current nebulae limits August 2022:
    WhereRadiusCentre
    Pleiades65lyMaia
    Witch Head75lyWitch Head Sector IR-W C1-8
    Coalsack60lyMusca Dark Region PJ-P b6-1
    California nebula60lyCalifornia Sector BA-A e6
  • And you can get (sometimes bugged) missions from the Aegis megaships / Rescue Ships to kill Thargoids, but they also don't count to save systems unless the destination system for the mission is also a target this week.
  • Infested Targets are found by decoding the aegis Eagle Eye system https://canonn.science/codex/eagle-eye-installations/
  • Decoding Eagle Eye is now simpler - use this decoder and type in the phonetic letters called out by the eagle eye unregistered comms beacons - this gives the target system
(Thread title courtesy of Zaratan)

Last edited:
I am already supporting Lungini becouse I know most players will focus Mentor. I wanna know if it's possible to defend both systems. I have a question. If we for example are killing Thargoids in different system but cash our combat bounds in Lungini will that help the fight?

I will move over to Lungini then too. I've not yet seen any Massacre Thargoid missions or the Aegis ships in Mentor yet, I had sort of assumed both of these things would also be in systems with heavy Thargoid presence?

I know this is probably impossible to figure out, but are you thinking that it's total number of any Thargoids killed in system, or Total bond value killed, or some other metric that means "This system has done enough not to be attacked"?

I will move over to Lungini then too. I've not yet seen any Massacre Thargoid missions or the Aegis ships in Mentor yet, I had sort of assumed both of these things would also be in systems with heavy Thargoid presence?

I know this is probably impossible to figure out, but are you thinking that it's total number of any Thargoids killed in system, or Total bond value killed, or some other metric that means "This system has done enough not to be attacked"?

Interesting question. One way to find out would be to chose one system in which the bonds are directly cashed in, and the other system will have only the kill, but the bonds should be cashed in in another system.

That is indeed the question. Although it's fun to try to figure this out without fdev help (nice work there @Factabulous!), it would be nice to have an in-game way of monitoring support and progress.

I've moved my Chieftain to Lunguni, hope to collect some Cyclops' scalps there.

Last edited:
Jesus holy mother they're only 140ly away from Jamerson Memorial. I'm calling it now that the 3 superpower home systems are going to be attacked and the permit locks on them lifted for the support effort.

Most important question is , are there any interceptors there or system is filled with scouts only like Huevang De ?

For what it's worth,it seems like the strategy for Irandan/Hip 21559 worked.Im doing evac missions over in Irandan and whilst the presence of nhss is still there,it seems quite sparse.With nobody actively engaging them they're just flying about aimlessly,although i have come across a few wreckage sites.No signs of vitriolics except on the station.
I like the proposal although the goal of 50/50 seems perhaps a little optimistic given the unknown nature of the threat we face.No point losing two stations through overconfidence.
I would suggest a more modest goal of 70/30 in favour of the more populous system

If you go into a threat 6 in Mentor there's a chance it will be 4 scouts and a Cyclops. I imagine threat 7 is similar for a Basilisk, although I haven't tried.

For what it's worth,it seems like the strategy for Irandan/Hip 21559 worked.Im doing evac missions over in Irandan and whilst the presence of nhss is still there,it seems quite sparse.With nobody actively engaging them they're just flying about aimlessly,although i have come across a few wreckage sites.No signs of vitriolics except on the station.
I like the proposal although the goal of 50/50 seems perhaps a little optimistic given the unknown nature of the threat we face.No point losing two stations through overconfidence.
I would suggest a more modest goal of 70/30 in favour of the more populous system

Well, it's worth a try. If both systems go down, then we can do something like 70/30 next week.

Well, it's worth a try. If both systems go down, then we can do something like 70/30 next week.

If both go down Sol might be next and I don't care how much people hate the Federation SOL IS EVERYONE'S HOME SYSTEM! So if Sol is on the list for attack that deserves 100% effort.

Number including yesterday:

Mentor 82.1%
Lungini 17.9%
Advice Support Lungini

Of course the error bars are huge, and ppl in Lunguni are maybe the more dedicated fighters, but still - very biased towards Mentor. See OP for links to underlying data

o7

Just some thoughts on this: I was wondering if there were indicators of progress built into the format of the NHSS spawns?

That's a clunky way to say it, but I mean, I noticed mostly NHSS4's in Mentor when I was first there on the day it was first targeted, but when I left a couple of days later there seemed to be more NHSS6's. In Lunguni there seems to be a lot of NHSS 3 and 4's and I don't remember seeing more than 1 NHSS 6 when I was there for an hour or two last night. In HIP 21559 in the last few days I was mostly finding NHSS 6 and 7's less 4's and no 3's, and I don't recall seeing a single 5 ever.

I've no idea if this is just perception bias (most likely), or if it's an artefact of the RNG NHSS generation, a progression based on time, or whether it's that the NHSS spawn types are responding to something.

Is it worth testing to see if the observable NHSS spawns are telling us something about the "state" of the Thargoid invasion of the system?

Idk if it will work but I just cashed 10 mil Cr bounds in Lunguni from other system but still Pilots's Federation bounds.

Is it worth testing to see if the observable NHSS spawns are telling us something about the "state" of the Thargoid invasion of the system?

I think the answer to that is a huge YES. I was thinking of the same thing. I will personally jot down the NHSS I come across and see if I can build a histogram. Maybe a given state/status will have a specific histogram structure (PDF).

It'll take time to build a "profile" for system's NHSS progression, but it's worth a shot.

I think the answer to that is a huge YES. I was thinking of the same thing. I will personally jot down the NHSS I come across and see if I can build a histogram. Maybe a given state/status will have a specific histogram structure (PDF).

It'll take time to build a "profile" for system's NHSS progression, but it's worth a shot.

Cool, I will do the same then.

Top Bottom